Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Just out of interest, anyone interested in joining me for the 15 on Sunday or some of it ???. the company I'm sure would help me get through it. I'm reluctant to go out with the club because I could easily end up running it too fast if I'm in the wrong company. I'm thinking 9:30-9;45 pace, early and willing to travel within reason

We are doing about 8 miles, myself, Gilll and another Gril from Raheny on Sunday evening 6.30 ish Fintans up summit, back down into Howth, might
    go as far as light house on pier and the back to Fintans. Will not be any way
    fast.
    Thanks G but will be heading to match in Croke park so preference is to get this out of the way in the morning. Thanks for offer though.

26/8 - Rest

27/8 - Breast Cancer Ireland - Pink Run 10k - Chip time 50:53

Had organised 16 people from work to do this through the work club. There were a few doing the 5k and the rest were doing the 10k. We hadnt really arranged to meet up or anything but bumped into a couple of the lads doing it . THey were going for faster times so I stayed well away from them and just did my own thing. One did 42:xx and the other 45:xx. It was a beautiful morning for it , almost too warm in the end but enjoyed the 2 x 5k lap run with a couple of testing hills. The most important outcome was a pain free run yet again and not to push myself too hard. It wasnt easy pace, but it wasnt hard either probably more in the steady bracket based on where I am currently at. I was tired at the end of it but I recovered pretty quickly. Lost a lot of fluids so took a while to quench the thirst afterwards but I was happy with the morning's work.

with a 0.80 mile warm up total for day came to 7.02 miles

Mile splits were 7:50,8:04,8:12,8:23,8:18,8:32,(7:15)

28/8 - LSR 15.15 miles @9:26 in 2:22:57

Ended up risking a club run in the end.As it turned out , things went fairly much to plan. Found an appropriate group to run with pace wise and the conversation was good to pass the time. This was my longest run this year I think, must look back to check, and again teh goal was to take it handy enough, just get the miles in and hope for the best that body would hold up, especially the knee.

The run went really well I thought. Started at clubhouse where close to thirty I'd say were up for the early run. Good to see such numbers, obviously marathon training season! From clubhouse into town, down along quays to three arena , back to clontarf and out along coast to end of cycle path and turn around back to clubhouse up watermill road. When we got to clubhouse, the watch was at 14.8x so I'd be damned if i was stopping before it hit that 15 mark. Did a little lap around the the clubhouse to get over the 15 and was delighted to complete another pain free run. Well pain free as far as the knee was concerned. It was hard work at end. Took a gel at 10 miles and that saw me through to end.

It was a good end to end to the week finishing out out at a total of 39.58 miles over five runs. And of course the icing on the cake was the Dubs beating Kerry to take their place in another All-Ireland final! An exciting game to be sure.

395560.jpg

Everything went to plan this week so as I said already:

Happy as a;

395559.jpg

and to my two kids C and S who are currently stalking me on Boards and taking every opportunity to take the pi55 out of me...enjoy school next week boys!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Running wise next week will be tricky as Im travelling on business wed to fri but will pack the runners and hopefully will get some miles in later in week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Skin of ye're teeth, if the ref done his job right and gave a free for the most deliberate shoulder in the chest this century it could have been a different story. Better team overall won though.

tang1 wrote: »
    Skin of ye're teeth, if the ref done his job right and gave a free for the most deliberate shoulder in the chest this century it could have been a different story. Better team overall won though.

I thought there were a couple he let go on the other side too. TBH though I don't agree with a Leinster ref when there is a Leinster team in a semi final.
    Skin of our teeth is right but in the final we are. Those are the kind of games though that I want to be watching.Most of the football is rubbish these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good game alright, proper football and some decent belts with no fellas dropping like sissys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

tang1 wrote: »

Whats funny is that most of the Cusack stand (where I was) thought he was very favourable to Kerry.
    A lot of dodgy kickouts within the 20yard line (he wrongly punished Dublin earlier but let Kerry off with plenty of them), some black cards that should have been given (2 for kerry and possibly 1 for Dub).

29/8 - Recovery run 4.55miles @ 11:02

Probably my slowest ever recovery run but I think it was needed. Wanted to get something in as I knew it would be a low mileage run with the business travel. Slight twinge in the knee which prompted me to decide to take the next day as a rest day

30/8 - rest day but not much time to do anything anyway as preparing for travel the next day.

31/8 - A 4am start for my first flight on the way to Sofia, Bulgaria. Connection at Paris. Packed the runners as planned to run later that day but these plans were scuppered when my luggage didn't arrived in Sofia!:mad:
    Didn't get it back until around 6pm the following day:mad::mad: so no running took place at all. So an enforced rest day it was.The less said about that whole episode the better. Wouldn't mind but it was 29 deg. Could have been great warm weather training.

1/9 - Another enforced rest day. Meetings and some local entertainment in the evening

2/9 - Yet another rest day. Meeting in the morning and travelling later in the day back via Paris again. This time the bag arrived in Dublin!

3/9 - Desperate to get out for a run. Teeming rain down but it had to be done. Plan was to do 8 miles @MP which currently I'm saying is 9min/miles.

A very wet run down along coast out to Sutton up to S bends but only did half of them as didnt want too much hill work and back along coast to give me 8.1miles @ 9:03

Felt really good in the latter half of this run.Legs felt strong, probably benefited from the few days off running. Knee behaved itself.It is fine as long as I don't jar it in any way.

Tickets for All-Ireland Football Final secured this week. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Tickets for All-Ireland Football Final secured this week. Happy days.

Something positive after a disastrous week of travel! Getting the season tickets was one of the best things myself and the OH ever did; none of the hassle of chasing in the weeks coming up to the final :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Something positive after a disastrous week of travel! Getting the season tickets was one of the best things myself and the OH ever did; none of the hassle of chasing in the weeks coming up to the final :)

Hmmm, probably showing how ancient I am but having done many years on the hill (and matches all over the country in the arsehole of nowwhere!!) I'm looking forward to my usual stool in Mulligans for this. Either way:

COME ON YOU BOYS IN BLUUUUUEEEEE!!

4/9 - LSR - 17.02 miles @9:44avg in 2:45:44

The plan says 19 but I knew that was too much for me at this stage and especially after little running this week but I felt even mentally I had to prove some progression to myself in terms of distance or else DCM would be a mere pipe dream. The last couple of weekend saw me do 13 and then 15 so it seemed logical to go to 17 this week. I knew it would probably be tough but these runs are so necessary in preparation for October. Forgot to bring myself a small bottle of water and had no money with me so dehydration was already going to be a factor on what was a reasonably warm morning. Cycled up to the club as OH needed the car.

Once we set off I knew I was in the wrong group for the long haulso held back after a mile or so for a slower group and waited for them to catch me. Got a bit of a twinge in the knee after five miles running along the quays in town.Think I just jarred it slightly while running over an undulating bit of pavement but after that it behaved itself for the rest of the run.

I felt ok until about 13 miles and then I was tiring so the last four miles were a bit of a slog but was determined to hit the number, so the avg pace went up to 10+ min miles even with the hep of two gels, one at 10 and one at 13.5. I've mixed feelings about it, delighted to have gotten it done but wish I felt better at the end to be honest.26 miles seems a long way away at the moment.

Had some water back at the clubhouse and an energy drink which brought me back to life a bit and then cycled home, which was a nice little warm down I suppose. When I got home I jumped into a cold water bath and afte the initial shock to the system it felt like heaven on the legs. Warm shower after and then felt a lot better.

29.67 miles for the week over just three runs. Definitely a rest day tomorrow and will resume proceedings on the Tuesday. Think I'll book a massage for end of the week too just for some maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good run, keep the pace slow and get a 20 miler in the coming weeks and you be fine! We must meet up for a jog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's a big run off some low mileage over last little while, so should feel hard,
    Plenty of time yet and still on target, take it handy.:)

5/9 - Rest. Much needed.

6/9 - 5.08miles @9:15. Easy run when I got home from work. Felt good throughout.

7/9 - 10.36 miles @ 9:25 . Took a scenic route home from work. The knee behaved itself and felt strong enough at end to throw in an 8:50 mile.

I've arranged for Athletics Ireland & Irish Runner magazine to visit my workplace tomorrow for a lunchtime talk. Looking forward to that. Colin Griffin & Frank Greally are speakers.

8/9 - 5miles easy @9:15 followed by sports massage a couple of hours later.

9/9 - Rest. Few pints had with friends.

10/9 - A bit fragile this morning so left this till the afternoon. 10.36miles @9:35. Kept it nice and easy and ran this mainly around St Annes on grass and trail.

11/9 - LSR 20.06 miles @10:04 in 3hrs 22 mins

Was heading out on tired legs and was dreading this to be honest. Was a blustery day so took my route away from the coast after a while and pretty much made it up as I went along going via Howth, Malahide rd, Fairview, St Annes along the way. Kept it very easy so as to ensure I'd make the distance. In the end I felt better after this run than I did the 17miler last weekend. Probably could have done another couple of miles if I needed to. A great mental boost to get this done. I think DCM may be on!....assuming no injury flare ups between now and then. A long time spent on the feet today will surely stand me in good stead.

Weekly mileage total of 50.57 miles and biggest mileage week of the year and probably since London training two years ago.

Step back week next week and timing of this is pretty good since next week will also include 20th wedding anniversay,Junior Cert results, sister's wedding and the All-Ireland Football Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the 20 m today, great boost to get that distance done.
    Enjoy the down week, lots going on for you!! Congrats on 20 years & good luck with everything else.:D

12/9 - Rested

13/9 - Plan was for 5 miles easy but was stuck for time and in the end got a shorter faster one in around Father Collins Park. 3.82miles @8:27. Felt pretty good picking it up a bit.

14/9- Woke up this morning and my achilles on left side was a bit sore. I hadnt had any signals of this recently but i guess it just happens that way sometimes. Decided to take a few days off to see how it settles.

15/9 - Rest

16/9- Sister's wedding. Great day.

17/9 - Late night the previous night but I had packed the runners so was determined to get out and do something. I had actually forgotten about the achilles because I had felt nothing in last day or so. Went out around sligo town with the intention of just easing into it and see where the run took me. Sligo is quite hilly as it happens and so got some hill work in whether I liked it or not. Eventually found a flatter route out some country road out towards HolyWell if anyone knows it. Was actually following another runner in the distance as I reckoned he'd be a local and would know a decent route. Got to a point where I said I would turn around and head back. In the end I did 10k and was happy to get it done. It was only afterwards when I felt my achilles again. It was quite tender. Not good. It seems my bad luck is set to continue. That was saturday.

Sunday was a drive back to the metropolis and the All-Ireland Final. Less said about that the better.

Had today off and have been icing, stretching and put anti inflammatory gel on the achilles all day. I'm afraid I don't think the prognosis is good. I've been here before. So I will take the rest of the week off and work hard at rehabbing the achilles and see how it feels. So at this stage the DCM is in real doubt. With 5 weeks to go if I had to take two weeks off now to get right, get two decent weeks after that, I'd be happy with a 1 week taper. Time is not an issue after all, I just want to get around. But if the achilles is not right I'm not going to risk it as it could be several months off.

Pretty fed up at the moment as I felt I was going well and felt good after the 20 miler last week but perhaps it was just too much workload and I've paid the price...

Sorry to hear that R....seeing a lot of marathon training related injuries on the form these days between the novices and others. Am wondering why we (am including myself in that) put ourselves through it. Personally I think Bungy girl is onto something with the shorter stuff. Having said that I hope you get it sorted so you can get around on the day.

Firedance wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that R....seeing a lot of marathon training related injuries on the form these days between the novices and others. Am wondering why we (am including myself in that) put ourselves through it. Personally I think Bungy girl is onto something with the shorter stuff. Having said that I hope you get it sorted so you can get around on the day.

Thanks FD. We do it because we love it, despite everything!

Funny you should mention it but I had decided myself to get Dublin and perhaps a Spring marathon out of the way and then concentrate on the shorter stuff for a while, following Bungy girl's lead. I'd quite like to try some track stuff. It is where I began my athletics endeavours when I was young after all.

I'll be trying everything possible to get right. If anyone has any magic potions or tips or suggestions for anti-inflammatory foods, please post up here. I'm desperate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Funny you should mention it but I had decided myself to get Dublin and perhaps a Spring marathon out of the way and then concentrate on the shorter stuff for a while, following Bungy girl's lead. I'd quite like to try some track stuff. It is where I began my athletics endeavours when I was young after all.

I'll be trying everything possible to get right. If anyone has any magic potions or tips or suggestions for anti-inflammatory foods, please post up here. I'm desperate!

Really sorry to hear about the recent trouble R. I SO wanted you to get to the startline in good nick this time. Your goal is conservative for you and you seemed to be going about it sensibly. Some people here like yourself, just never seem to get a break and it sucks :( Maybe a longer build up time to a Spring marathon would have been the way to go due to the injury history, but I totally understand your reasoning behind wanting to give it a shot.
    I have no advice to offer you really but hope things come good for you. There is still a good bit of time to sort it.
    I drink a lot of veggie juices with high beetroot content which is anti-flamm I think, so maybe that would be something to try. Besides that, the usual icing and foam rolling and good physio advice. If you have been going to the same physio for a while and not getting much joy, then maybe it's time to try a different one.
    Maybe for your next training block, you could find a physio who is also a running coach who could write you up a programme with a very slow build up.
    Good luck and I have everything crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Bucket ice water after every LR or MLR for about 15 mins, really hard to keep
    Feet in but is really good, did that all last year, also hot water bottle in evening
    to get blood flowing to it. Hope it comes good, how bad is it on scale 1-10
    my left Achilles always sore and swollen and have to manage it as per above.
    Ignored routine this year and paid for it, it's a pain in the arse, have you tried
    Ecentric heal drops, good excerises for upper part of achillies but no use for
    lower part. Hope it comes good.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about the recent trouble R. I SO wanted you to get to the startline in good nick this time. Your goal is conservative for you and you seemed to be going about it sensibly. Some people here like yourself, just never seem to get a break and it sucks :( Maybe a longer build up time to a Spring marathon would have been the way to go due to the injury history, but I totally understand your reasoning behind wanting to give it a shot.
    I have no advice to offer you really but hope things come good for you. There is still a good bit of time to sort it.
    I drink a lot of veggie juices with high beetroot content which is anti-flamm I think, so maybe that would be something to try. Besides that, the usual icing and foam rolling and good physio advice. If you have been going to the same physio for a while and not getting much joy, then maybe it's time to try a different one.
    Maybe for your next training block, you could find a physio who is also a running coach who could write you up a programme with a very slow build up.
    Good luck and I have everything crossed for you.

Thanks A. As it happens I have some beetroot juice in the fridge already so will stock up again. As regards the physio I've no complaints as they always fixed whatever ailment I went to them with. I'm in the ballot for London, If I'm successful in that it may have a heavy influence on what I do at the end of October similar to 2013/14.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Bucket ice water after every LR or MLR for about 15 mins, really hard to keep
    Feet in but is really good, did that all last year, also hot water bottle in evening
    to get blood flowing to it. Hope it comes good, how bad is it on scale 1-10
    my left Achilles always sore and swollen and have to manage it as per above.
    Ignored routine this year and paid for it, it's a pain in the arse, have you tried
    Ecentric heal drops, good excerises for upper part of achillies but no use for
    lower part. Hope it comes good.

Thanks G. I can never know when the right time to switch from ice to heat is but I'll stick with icing for next couple of days.

On a scale of 1-10.....I'd say a 4 at the moment. Wasn't sore when I woke up this morning and put the foot to the floor so I think that is relatively positive.

Eccentric heel drops are one of the exercises i'm doing alright along with single leg calf/heal raises.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Hi Red,

I think your own synopsis is correct.
    You did too much too soon.
    You ran 10 miles and the following day you ran 20 if I read it right.
    You're probably not in a state if you were out with injury to be doing that much in two days.

Wasn't sore when I woke up this morning and put the foot to the floor so I think that is relatively positive.

This reminds me of PF in that regard, I used to (sometimes still do) do 'the alphabet' with my feet before I get out of bed, worked wonders as it gently limbers up the foot and leg muscles. Sure it's worth a try!!

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Hi Red,

I think your own synopsis is correct.
    You did too much too soon.
    You ran 10 miles and the following day you ran 20 if I read it right.
    You're probably not in a state if you were out with injury to be doing that much in two days.

Thanks JS5.You're right of course if you look at that in isolation but the reason I did that was because it was in the plan and I'm just following the plan and had been for several weeks before that. Having said that, perhaps it was the wrong plan given where I was coming from.

I do think though that I had been reasonably sensible over the last several weeks with a gradual increase in running and zero intensity just all easy running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sorry to read this R. How are you doing now?

aquinn wrote: »
    Sorry to read this R. How are you doing now?

Hi A. Thanks, and thank you for not saying "I told you so! " ;)

I'm feeling a little more positive today. I don't have pain when I'm walking at all and even if I break into a jog, no pain. There is just a sense of it is not quite right, or "one of these Achilles is not like the other.." if that makes sense.

I will spend the rest of the week rehabbing the hell out of it and might jog the park run on Saturday as a little tester. It would make no sense for me to run the HM at this stage as I'd gain very little from it and possibly aggravate it so I'm thinking RICE all week with exercises, maybe PR on Saturday and if all ok, gradual increase in mileage, running every second day for following week and then try up mileage again , the week following that. Sound like an ok plan??

Will also probably try bring my next physio appointment forward to get some early treatment.

Injury Update

Went to physio last night and there is not as much doom and gloom as I first may have thought. In summary these are the take aways from the visit;

• No running until he gives the all clear. back again with him next Thursday.
    • Specific set of exercises given
    • I must walk for 90 mins at least 5 of the 7 days until next appointment. (that one surprised me )
    • hot and cold submersion of Achilles 5 mins on/off for 20 mins each day. 2-3 times if possible.
    • Probably unlikely to get another 20 mile training run between now and DCM day
    Got a bit of dry needling and massage so hopefully things will improve over coming days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Injury Update

Went to physio last night and there is not as much doom and gloom as I first may have thought. In summary these are the take aways from the visit;

• No running until he gives the all clear. back again with him next Thursday.
    • Specific set of exercises given
    • I must walk for 90 mins at least 5 of the 7 days until next appointment. (that one surprised me )
    • hot and cold submersion of Achilles 5 mins on/off for 20 mins each day. 2-3 times if possible.
    • Probably unlikely to get another 20 mile training run between now and DCM day
    Got a bit of dry needling and massage so hopefully things will improve over coming days

So what are you planning on doing RR, will you try for the marathon and what time are you aiming for?

• Advertisement

joesoap5 wrote: »
    So what are you planning on doing RR, will you try for the marathon and what time are you aiming for?

Hi JS.

My plan is to follow the instructions of physio and review next week. But I am aiming to make the startline if I get the all clear. I simply want to run it , no time in mind, treat it as a training run if you like. Based on the last 20 miler, all things being equal I think 4.20-4.30 would be do-able but it really depends on what I can do over the next four weeks and the assumption is that I am pain free.

if there is pain , no DCM.

Advertisement