Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi JS.

My plan is to follow the instructions of physio and review next week. But I am aiming to make the startline if I get the all clear. I simply want to run it , no time in mind, treat it as a training run if you like. Based on the last 20 miler, all things being equal I think 4.20-4.30 would be do-able but it really depends on what I can do over the next four weeks and the assumption is that I am pain free.

if there is pain , no DCM.

I cam see you running 4 to 4.10 really and probably hobbling for a while afterwards but you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

23/9 - Rested

24/9 - 98 mins walk at brisk pace. Stretching exercises, contrast bathing of achilles.

25/9 - 89 mins walk at brisk pace. Wore the garmin for this one .6 miles exactly in 89mins.

26/9 - cycle commute to work. 6.5miles each way plus 101 mins walk in pm.6.79 miles covered.

Achilles is improving I think but it is hard to tell how well.It still is slightly tender if you get the right spot. I've absolutely no pain on the walks or during the day. I just have to be patient and keep following the physio's plan.

27/9 - Cycle commute

28/9 - Cycle commute plus 5.23miles walk in 1:23

29/9 - 6.37 miles walk in 1:40 after physio visit. He was happy with progress and gave me new exercises and changed up the plan for the next week.

30/9 - Rested

1/10 - Rested and enjoyed the atmosphere once again in Croke Park, this time lifting SAM!:):):)

2/10 - 3hr hike. Instruction from physio was 3hrs walking with natural terrain and hills so set out and took off for Sutton and tookin the cliff walk towards Howth village and back home from there. 3hrs 15mins and 11.76 miles covered over undulating terrain. As for the achilles it felt fine during and afterwards. To say it is 100% wouldnt be truthful but it felt no worse after the hike and in general terms I dont have pain unless I go searching for it. There is still a tender spot that I can find. Have continued with contrast bathing etc, anti inflammatory gel, exercises, taping at times, calf guards. Trying everything under the sun.

3/10 - Cycle commute and usual routine of exercises and contrast bathing

4/10 - Cycle commute and first run in 16/17 days. 1 minute on 1 minute off for ten minutes. No pain in achilles. Followed by more contrast bathing.

27/9 - Cycle commute

28/9 - Cycle commute plus 5.23miles walk in 1:23

29/9 - 6.37 miles walk in 1:40 after physio visit. He was happy with progress and gave me new exercises and changed up the plan for the next week.

30/9 - Rested

1/10 - Rested and enjoyed the atmosphere once again in Croke Park, this time lifting SAM!:):):)

2/10 - 3hr hike. Instruction from physio was 3hrs walking with natural terrain and hills so set out and took off for Sutton and tookin the cliff walk towards Howth village and back home from there. 3hrs 15mins and 11.76 miles covered over undulating terrain. As for the achilles it felt fine during and afterwards. To say it is 100% wouldnt be truthful but it felt no worse after the hike and in general terms I dont have pain unless I go searching for it. There is still a tender spot that I can find. Have continued with contrast bathing etc, anti inflammatory gel, exercises, taping at times, calf guards. Trying everything under the sun.

3/10 - Cycle commute and usual routine of exercises and contrast bathing

4/10 - Cycle commute and first run in 16/17 days. 1 minute on 1 minute off for ten minutes. No pain in achilles. Followed by more contrast bathing.

So what are you planning RR, are you going to do the DM?
    If you're able to walk up steep inclines then its a good sign and you're probably strengthening the muscles around the Achilles as well.

joesoap5 wrote: »
    So what are you planning RR, are you going to do the DM?
    If you're able to walk up steep inclines then its a good sign and you're probably strengthening the muscles around the Achilles as well.

I won't make a decision on this until very late in the day, possibly even the day before the expo. It will depend on many factors including;
    • The physio's advice
    • If I feel that physically there is improvement over next couple of weeks
    • What kind of running I get in over the next few weeks
    • If the tenderness is gone or negligible
    • If I feel mentally ready to give it a go
    • If I am successful in London ballot or not

At the moment it feels like it's touch an go, could go either way

• Advertisement

I won't make a decision on this until very late in the day, possibly even the day before the expo. It will depend on many factors including;
    • The physio's advice
    • If I feel that physically there is improvement over next couple of weeks
    • What kind of running I get in over the next few weeks
    • If the tenderness is gone or negligible
    • If I feel mentally ready to give it a go
    • If I am successful in London ballot or not

At the moment it feels like it's touch an go, could go either way

Yeah I'm in the ballot myself, if I get an entry I might skip DCM

5/10 - REST

6/10 - AM - Cycle Commute. PM - Physio Visit. Physio is happy and upbeat with my progress. Wish I could share his positivity to be honest but I will roll with it for now and keep following his plan. More dry needling, bit of massage and new exercise regime with gentle reintroduction of running this week.

7/10 - AM - Walk commute to work. 7.15miles 1hr 44mins. PM - Cycle commute

8/10 - AM Park Run Volunteering. Roped #1 son into it too as part of his Gaisce.

PM - 6.95 miles walk with 2mins on/ff thrown in somewhere in the middle. 8 mins running total. All on the beach.

9/10 - AM 1.65mi - 2 mins on/off running . Total 10 mins running

PM - 6.8miles brisk walk 1 hr 40mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I just read Jo Pavey's autobiography and she managed to keep really fit through walking during periods of injury, so hopefully it will stand to you too!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I just read Jo Pavey's autobiography and she managed to keep really fit through walking during periods of injury, so hopefully it will stand to you too!

Funny you should say that H. At the beginning I was thinking , walking, what use will that be? But the physio says it is to replicate the mechanics of running (but obviously with less stress) and to keep up some form of fitness on top of the cycling. Got to admit that felt more tired after some of the walks than I would after longer runs. Only recently I had convinced myself that this could help me if I make the start line of DCM in terms of time on the feet and overall stamina. And in fact have been thinking in terms of the future, perhaps this is what I should do on "rest days"

Surely not still thinking of DCM?

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    Surely not still thinking of DCM?

Flip/Flopping every day!

Flip/Flopping every day!

Would it not be detrimental at this point to your long term recovery even if you did manage to get through it?

Exactly wrote: »
    Would it not be detrimental at this point to your long term recovery even if you did manage to get through it?

I agree that from the outside looking in, you probably think I'm bloody bonkers. I can understand that. I'm running with zero pain at the moment, and working hard on strengthening calves etc.following the rehab plan etc I plan on doing at least ten miles the week before. If I don't make it through that with zero reaction, DCM won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah Robbie, that IS totally bonkers. It's less than 3 weeks away. You know better. Write it off, plenty of time for a different one.

Good to see you at parkrun the other day. All the best with the continuing rehab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah Robbie, that IS totally bonkers. It's less than 3 weeks away. You know better. Write it off, plenty of time for a different one.

Good to see you at parkrun the other day. All the best with the continuing rehab.

Was just about to post something similar, it's just not worth it R, its just another marathon, there are tons of these month after month - the chances are if you do DCM you'll struggle even more with injury and recovery well into 2017, ditch it now and write if off as Murph suggests and you can be well on the road to recovery by the end of the year ready to start fresh in January.

You'd say the same to any one of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

loads of other races to look at R - get the Achilles right and forget this years DCM. You know it makes sense !

10/10 - AM Cycle commute PM Cycle commute + 102mins brisk walk inc 10 mins consecutive running towards end.

Headed out when I got home for this walk and brought the head torch with notions of running on the grass in StAnnes. My God, walking around StAnnes in the dark is spooky! Had the earphones in and the head torch on, so felt like I was in my own world but also felt like I was walking through the set of one of those scary movies. Especially when going down the tree lined pathways. At one point I turned around and could see the light of someones bike behind me. I turned around again and it was gone. Woooooh! Got to the main avenue and headed for the main gate. As I looked around I could see lots of little eyes shining back at me. No creepy clowns though! At that point I said feck the running on the grass I'm outta here. Walked around the outskirts and made my way back to the coast and got 10 mins running on the coastal path.

11/10- AM Cycle commute PM Cycle commute and raft of strengthening exercises. #exhausted

12/10 - AM Cycle commute PM Cycle commute + 13 mins continuous running. Headed for St Annes as soon as I got home. Wanted to get up there before it got dark. I'm such a wuss! Anyway it went fine. I was tired from cycle but achilles felt fine and could have run for longer but didnt. I think the tenderness has reduced slightly more and it is heading in the right direction.

In other news ,got confirmation that I missed out on the London Ballot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm sure you know this, but be careful running in the dark / dusk in St Anne's on the grass or trails -- I've got caught in there once or twice as night was falling, and it's so easy to trip or catch your foot in tree root. Sorry if that's stating the obvious, but the last thing you need is a new injury from tripping in the park in the dark!

Sorry to hear about London. I've heard so many people have got 'now' - are they letting anyone in at all!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Please don't do the DCM, RedRunner (written by another injury-prone boardsie). I found your old log about 4months ago when I had my disc/sciatica diagnosed and reading through your injuries I felt like I had a twin. But it was really great to hit the section where you got a long stretch of consistent running, it gave me hope.

There will be other marathons but you don't want to risk your achilles :(.

Btw, *everyone* missed out on the London ballot! Only real hope of getting in is if you have the qualification time...

After much soul searching, reality checking and reviewing words of wisdom from those on here whom I have a lot of respect for I have made the decision NOT to run DCM this year.

I had intended to wait until physio appointment on Monday but why delay the inevitable and I don't want to be swayed by any glimmers of hope he might have.

The achilles has improved greatly in the last week but I've been looking from a risk/reward basis and I think I've a lot more to lose if things go pear shaped on the day. I've also considered the training I've done this year. While I managed to get up to 20 miles recently in long runs, there haven't been enough of them for my liking and training since July has been patchy at best.

I've always preferred to be optimistic about running DCM and do everything that I could to be ready but I have also said I will make the right decision when it comes down to it and I feel this is the right decision.

So what's the plan?

I will follow now what I predict will be a less rushed and more structured come back plan from the physio and try to build up a decent base over the Winter with lots of consistent running. I will aim to vary the running surfaces more and generally just try to get the running mojo back as well as lose a few pounds but that will come hand in hand with getting back running regularly.

I'm not going to target any future marathons for now and will concentrate on the shorter stuff paying particular attention to the 5k and 20min barrier.
    I will review where I am at in Summer of next year with regards to any marathon plans.

That's as much as I can say about it at the moment and I'll refine my plans more as the training becomes more consistent. It's disappointing but I have to think of the longer term and all those "gratitude" runs as Frank Greally would call them.

Thanks to all who have offered words of advice over the course of last couple of months. Look forward to getting back in shape and seeing you all out there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear that R. Right decision IMHO.

Best of luck with the recovery. I've no doubt you'll get the sub-20 once you're fully fit and firing on all cylinders again.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Plenty more marathons in your future R, and looking forward to watching the sub 20 happen.
    Onwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Right decision R, get a good period of injury free running into the legs and think about a marathon then maybe. Best of luck with the continued rehab & return to running. You deserve a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

You'll reap the rewards of that decision R - so long as you put in the training now of course!

Cracking the 20 minute barrier should ultimately lead to a better marathon experience for you anyway.

Good luck with the training\rehab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

long term right decision, hope to see you back running soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Glad to hear this decision RR, but obviously disappointed for you at the same time as I know how much you wanted to do DCM.

Will follow the sub 20 quest with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Difficult but very wise decision Redrunner. Best of luck with the rehab and good luck with returning to consistent injury free running and the Sub 20 .

13/10 - cycle commute both ways and strengthening in pm

14/10 - Rest. Out for a few sociables

15/10 - Park Run Volunteering. Had hoped to run in the afternoon but decide to leave it till the next day. Was a bit tired.;)

16/10 - 22 mins continuous running. Achilles was a bit tired after it. May have overdone it. But no long lasting effects

17/10 - A problem that has been linger for some time has gotten worse. Pain in my upper back area between the shoulder blades, and back of neck. I had kind of tolerated it up to now and was more focussed on getting the achilles sorted but this is now an issue. Got voltarol today to see if that would help.

Went out to watch Liverpool game and was uncomfortable for the whole game , not just because of the back :rolleyes:

18/10 - Wow , the pain. Woke up this morning and could barely move. In agony with the back. It definitely feels muscular but not sure of the cause. Had to take day off work. Not capable of anything

19/10 - Back at work. Got through day with painkillers & voltarol. Managed a few calf strengthening exercises but back with physio tomorrow and will ask him about the back too. Never rains but it pours !:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear about the back R, smart move on pulling the plug on DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Oh god that's awful R :( I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Advertisement