Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Try foam roll your back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Firedance wrote: »
    Oh god that's awful R :( I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Thanks FD. If I was a horse, i'd be brought out and shot!

Steroo wrote: »
    Try foam roll your back ?

I tried that once with my lower back and made it worse so will see what the physio says today. I have a funny feeling I may end up at the GP to get some strong anti inflammatories. Not sleeping properly at night. Cant continue like that for much longer.

This log is becoming less and less of a training log and more and more of a medical journal...#fedup:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear this latest setback - sounds very like an issue my brother has, definitely one for the physio or other medic. Foam rolling the back? Please, don't try this again! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this latest setback - sounds very like an issue my brother has, definitely one for the physio or other medic. Foam rolling the back? Please, don't try this again! :eek:
    I do my back most days with great results - you have to do it right ; )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thanks FD. If I was a horse, i'd be brought out and shot!

You're having a tough time of it R, keep us up to date though, there's not one person here who doesn't understand, that's a lot of ears :) In the meantime plenty of parkrun volunteering is guaranteed to lift your spirits.

Firedance wrote: »
    You're having a tough time of it R, keep us up to date though, there's not one person here who doesn't understand, that's a lot of ears :) In the meantime plenty of parkrun volunteering is guaranteed to lift your spirits.

Physio visit last night. Short version (cos I lost the long version with that captcha thingy kicking in. Very annoying) is that I'm on anti inflammatories (nurofen Express Max strength, heat, new stretches and exercises and should be ok within a week or so. If not , possible MRI but some improvement after treatment last night so I'm hopeful that it wont come to that.

No root cause really, possibly posture related and stress!

Running on back burner till I sort this out. park run volunteering tomorrow as prescribed by Dr FD;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey R,

Would you try acupuncture for your back to ease out the muscles?

Take it easy. Cycling may not help if back not great. You could be overstretching.

Go easy on yourself.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hey R,

Would you try acupuncture for your back to ease out the muscles?

Take it easy. Cycling may not help if back not great. You could be overstretching.

Go easy on yourself.

Hi A,

I would be open to acupuncture if all else fails. Recommend anyone?

Re the cycling, yes I suggested that I should stop to the physio but he said no unless I was in pain while doing it.

Interestingly I feel improvement directly after exercises the physio gave me but the discomfort returns later. Sleep is still disturbed but to lesser extent. Back with physio again on tuesday.

Just a quick update on the injury situation.

Back at physio yesterday. The back has improved greatly. I am now getting a full night's sleep. While it is not perfect I am certainly more mobile and am confident it will sort itself out in next week or so.

The Achilles is still a WIP. I hadn't done any walking or running since the back flared up as a result I think I've lost some recovery time. I jogged down to physio and it didn't feel great at the outset but did ease a bit after a few minutes. Further proof that DCM was not an option really. Ramp up now in the strength work and exercise and get back to walking and get a progression from walking back to running again over the next few weeks. my calves are definitely stronger now as the #reps are getting greater and easier each week.

I will power walk the park run this weekend and move on from there. I'm going to go out on a limb now and set a sub 20 5k target for end June 2017. That gives me rest of year to get back healthy and then 6 months to do specific 5k training. I'll track my progress on a weekly basis in the Park Run.. Hmmm I feel a log name change coming.... This will be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Sorry you're not making it this year dude. Have to say I do admire your perseverance. You're a true warrior!

Sorry you're not making it this year dude. Have to say I do admire your perseverance. You're a true warrior!

Cheers Cookie. Will be looking out for you on Sunday. Go smash it!

2017......you'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

RedRunner wrote: »
    Cheers Cookie. Will be looking out for you on Sunday. Go smash it!

2017......you'll see

Cheers. Where are you going to watch? Will keep an eye for you!

The Journey to sub 20 begins. It will be a long road but at least I have something to focus on now.

The progress on the achilles is slow. This week it is a little bit stiff in the morning when I put my foot to the ground and then eases off after a short while moving around.It hadn't been like that in the beginning which is a bit worrying. Maybe it is because of the work I'm doing to strengthen up.

The back has eased off again having dropped the cycling this week. Still uncomfortable when lying down but it is improving and hardly notice it when I'm mobile. It's a bit of a mystery that one.

My week at the moment consists 3-4 95+ minute brisk walks, and lots of strengthening work. I'm up to 50 reps on double leg calf raises,hitting 40 on single leg calf raises and can manage 30-35 eccentric calf raises when the legs are fresh. So on that front I think I'm getting stronger but the tenderness is still there in the achilles. I'm back at physio next Friday so will be asking why I'm not seeing more improvement at this stage.

Did park run this morning starting out with 5 mins walking and then alternating 5 mins running with about 6 mins running at the end. Time given was 30 :50 but I'm pretty sure thats a mistake. Although I started my watch late and stopped it late it was around 32 min mark on my watch. Achilles felt "OK" at the end of it.Iced it and did some strengthening work when I got home. It's a bit like groundhog day at the moment but will stick at it and hopefully my fortunes turn for the better soon. Nice high five from Laura_AC3 on the 2nd lap today and good to catch up with lots of other boardsies sporting their marathon tops. I was only a little bit jealous;)

Date|5k Event|Time|Comments
    29/10/2016|St. Anne's PR|35:40|5 mins Walk/2 mins running
    5/11/2016|St. Anne's PR|30:50|5 mins W,5 mins R w/6mins at end

Not much happened this week. Continued with strength work, though not as much as I'd like. Less walking and cycling still knocked on the head.

Back/neck issue greatly improved.Was back at physio Friday and need to up the exercises and get some cross training in. Need to get more walking in too.

12/11/2016|St.Anne's PR|27:07|Jogged whole thing

Jogged the entire PR on Saturday which I was delighted with. It's the only running I'm doing at the moment. No pain or discomfort afterwards but iced it and stretched well after anyway as a precaution. Will get back on the bike this week to keep the fitness up and time to find a GYM. FlyeFit was recommended by KennyG so might try that as there is one near enough to my current office and one near to me new place of work when we move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff R, keep it going.

This week was a busy one. Returned to cycle commute every other day, a bit of walking and strength work every day. I'm sleeping well these days , it's all very tiring on the body.

Back to physio on Friday and he's happy with progress. My back/neck pain is gone, and I'm definitely improving strength wise.

Went out to support some runners from work on Wednesday at the Run in the Dark, Baltic it was . Temperatures definitely dropping these days.

Spotted Meno at Tara st station on opposite side with his running shorts and shoes on thurdsday evening, obviously heading out for some social run on the south side as he would... couldn't catch his eye and ruled out shouting across the platform to say hello.

Have to say I am pretty content with things at the moment and have accepted that I must consider the long game and just take each week as it comes.

As with previous weeks did my usual park run and plan was to run the whole thing again and try do a little better than last week. Was very pleased with result. Just tried to keep it steady without pushing it too much. Aerobic fitness is definitely lacking but the strength work is paying off as the legs always felt like they could do a lot more. Onwards and upwards, but mustn't get carried away.

19/11/2016|St Anne's PR| 24:58| Ran by feel. Nice improvement on last week.

A pretty dreadful week insofar that I got no cycling, no walking ,no strength work to speak of done due to work travel to Germany. Got some exercises done but the week was sabotaged but I guess life just gets in the way sometimes.

Didn't stop me getting in my park run this week. Ran again by feel and tried to stay with resident pacer murph_D to stay under the 25 mins like last week. Felt pretty good throughout and managed to get ahead of the master pacer and come in on 24:13. Have to be happy with that considering the lack of anything that could be considered work during the week.

19/11/2016|St Anne's PR|24:58| Ran by feel. Nice improvement on last week.
    26/11/2016|St Anne's PR|24:13| Tracked the 25 min pacer and finished strong

Good to catch up with aforementioned Murph_D and also Laura_AC3, MrsMc , AnnaPR, KennyG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

all going in the right direction, all the patience will be worth it.

Not much to report.Have been continuing with very little running,a bit of cycle commuting, lots of strength work. Has been hard work the last couple of weeks due to job being very busy. Spending a lot of time on my feet too on a construction site. Pretty fed up overall to be honest but must keep going and chipping away at it. The target is to be back running more regularly by mid January so it's more of the same for next few weeks while I build slowly back up.....very.....slow.....ly...

Managed a perk run at the weekend so that kept the spirits up a bit. Ran mostly by feel with no real target as the bottle of Pinot Grigio the night before was never going to help me. Don't want to over exert at this stage in any case. Very happy with 24:23

10/12/2016|St.Anne's PR|24:23|Good run out. Good strong finish

• Advertisement

More of the same this week , bit of cycling and plenty of strength work. No running until Park Run today at StAnnes.

I was back at physio this week, seeing less and less value from these visits. Paying €55 to hear someone tell me something I already know is not good value. Yes I got an assessment and a bit of dry needling but I'm increasingly feeling I have all the tools myself now to get back to regular running. The physio suggested I should talk to a coach about what running to do and how to structure my week better which I thought was a bit lame and passing the buck.
    I'm due back the week after next but I think I'll call it a day after that one and go on my own.

Today's park run was very similar to last week's, comfortably hard and enough in the tank to push it at the end from 200m for a strong finish. Short warm up before and after. I noticed in particular today at each time on the hill section I was passing people out just maintaining the pace which shows the strength work is really paying off.

17/12/2016|St.Anne's PR|24:14|Some consistency now. 23mins not far off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good progress R, and as you said your defiantly the one who knows what's
    best, hopefully join you on sub 20 quest latter next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Going in the right direction R, slowly as it might seem. Sub 20 will be no bother to you once you get the fitness back.

Since 17/12 I've done 5 runs in total;

19/12- 15 mins on grass - 2.36km
    21/12 - 19mins - 3.24km
    26/12 - 28 mins on grass/trail - 4.87km
    28/12 - 30 mins on gras/trail/tarmac - 5km
    30/12 - 28 mins - road/tarmac - 5km

Had been doing the strength work in between too. All going well until yesterday when after the run felt some soreness in right calf(achilles issue was on left). Despite icing and compression sleeve it feels worse today so back icing again. I swear, if I didn't have any bad luck, i'd have no luck at all.

Did I try do too much, don't think so, i've been ultra conservative so far inmy opinion. Perhaps all the strength work couple with the slight increase in running is the cause? I'll probably give it a week to recover and continue icing etc etc. i just hope this is not a sign of things to come in the new year. I was just beginning to get hopeful!:(

Anyway, Happy New Year to all who read this depressing log. Wish you all the best for 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

R, I really really really hope that it all comes together for you in 2017. You deserve a break so much at this stage...
    Happy new year to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear Robbie, you're right about having no luck.

I think you're possibly right too about the stretching and strength work being a factor.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. Happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You're due a break R that's for sure :( here's hoping it comes in 2017. Happy New Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Really hope 2017 is your year to be injury-free and to smash those PBs !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

+1 to the above good wishes, R... you are overdue a bit of good luck!

• Advertisement

last run of 30/12 left me with a slight calf strain as logged already but seemed to get over that pretty quickly with the aid of icing, rolling and compression sleeves.

31/12 - 1/1 - Enforced rest

Stood on the scales at start of week to get a massive fright. The comfort eating while injured had made an impact. 103kgs :eek::eek:

Time to get active again and watch the diet...

2/1 - 6km walk , 25mins static bike, plenty of stretching
    3/1 - Rest
    4/1 - 5km in 30mins followed by 15mins warm down on static bike
    5/1 - 5Km in 31 mins followed by 15 mins on static bike
    6/1 - 5Km in 27 mins
    7/1 - 5km in 26:18 (St Anne's Park Run)

17/12/2016|St.Anne's PR|24:14|Some consistency now. 23mins not far off
    07/01/2017|St.Anne's PR|26:33|26:18 by my watch? Went to plan. Kept it steady

Given it's the new year I gave a customary glance back at 2016 and beyond.

Last year was pretty much a disaster running wise due to various injuries. I almost made it back to make the marathon but failed at the last hurdle with an overuse injury ie achilles tendinopathy.

In all I had 123 runs covering 940km and no running in Feb, Mar or June due to injuries

2015 wasnt much better with 147 runs ,970km and no running in June,July or Oct.

2014 was by far my best year performances wise to date with 205 runs and 2,040km PBs at all distances despite no running in Nov/Dec and very light in sep/oct but 2013 was more consistent with 212 runs and just a light month in Nov.

Looking forward again to 2017 it is all about getting some consistent training in and the main goal for the year is really just to try claw myself back to some kind of form close to 2014 levels. Hopefully I can do this on less mileage. The first 6 months will be concentrated on consistency and keeping distances short both in training and racing. I may even try some track stuff. I've set myself a rather lofty goal of sub 20 5km but i'd rather fail trying to get that than succeed at reaching a less challenging goal.

The second half of the year goals will fully depend on how the first half goes but I'm not ruling out DCM just yet.

Advertisement