Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I have it as 2nd July start, checked a few times Marathon will be end of week 17.
    if you've been doing plenty of cycling, maybe you'll be in decent nick, it's more getting into condition for them long runs, the MLR builds quite quickly as well.

I suppose you'll know quite quickly, but no harm in just scaling back sessions for first couple of weeks, I know I found jumping into 35 mile week hard early in year after a lay off, more about bring intensity and miles at the same time.

Yes, you're spot on there actually , my mistake.

Yes, if I do follow the plan I will only do all runs easy for first few weeks. Intensity = hamstring warning at the moment!

I had such great plans this year to try track, mile PB, sub 20 attempt etc. But all gone out the window now. If just running easy gets me to start line in October then I'll have to be satisfied with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wouldn't recommend the 12-week P&D coming back from injury. It's pretty intense and needs good base behind it. Modified meno at lower mileage to begin with sounds like a better strategy (if you really have to run the marathon!)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend the 12-week P&D coming back from injury. It's pretty intense and needs good base behind it. Modified meno at lower mileage to begin with sounds like a better strategy (if you really have to run the marathon!)

Thanks D. After reviewing P&D agree with your advice.

Yes, I really have to run the marathon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thanks D. After reviewing P&D agree with your advice.

Yes, I really have to run the marathon.:)

I know how you feel, I was similar to you in 2015, but nursed my way to line, just take it handy, I know it's been a frustrating couple of years on injury front, just build slowly.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Meno plan either, even at lower mileage the sessions are hard going and it also needs a good base going into it.

Would you not consider something much lighter on mileage and sessions, like the boards novices plan? If you're only looking to get to the start line and go the distance I don't think putting yourself through decent level plan is a good idea with your injury history (sorry!).

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Meno plan either, even at lower mileage the sessions are hard going and it also needs a good base going into it.

Would you not consider something much lighter on mileage and sessions, like the boards novices plan? If you're only looking to get to the start line and go the distance I don't think putting yourself through decent level plan is a good idea with your injury history (sorry!).

I hear what you are saying. I was thinking of just replacing the sessions in first four weeks with just easy runs. I just need some structure on my week. I'll try find the novice plan and look at that too. Presume i'll get it over on the mentored novices thread.

I hear what you are saying. I was thinking of just replacing the sessions in first four weeks with just easy runs. I just need some structure on my week. I'll try find the novice plan and look at that too. Presume i'll get it over on the mentored novices thread.

Yeah it's usually in the first post on that thread - even just have a look at it and see. I loved the meno plan but it's tough enough and meno himself says it needs regular 30+ mile weeks in the preceding months so just be cautious.

So still not much running of late. Have been cycle commuting most days and keeping up with the exercises as prescribed by the physio.

Managed 3 runs since physio visit last friday;

Sunday : 12 mins
    Tues: 15 mins
    Wed : 19 mins

Back with physio today and all positive re hamstring. My left achilles is slightly inflamed so have to keep an eye on that as I had trouble with that recently too.

Progression on the exercises this week and 3-4 runs allowed with 2 minute progressions each time. It's all about maintaining the strength work and slow build up of running again.

Will check in again next week.

Are you getting any insight into the cause of these recurring injuries at all, R? What do the pros say? Is it a form or technical issue? Might be worth a consultation with someone who knows this kind of stuff.

Are you getting any insight into the cause of these recurring injuries at all, R? What do the pros say? Is it a form or technical issue? Might be worth a consultation with someone who knows this kind of stuff.

No I'm not really apart from realising I must keep up the strength work or pay the penalty. Getting older I'm told is a factor but I don't buy that in isolation.

It could be I need to be better at balancing everything such as strength,diet,hydration,stretching and running. All too often I do more of one and not enough of others. Maybe I'm just broken and beyond fixing!

I'm not even sure where else to turn if this continues to be a problem for me i.e. recurrence of various injuries on regular basis.

• Advertisement

Your not beyond fixing, as you said just the management and resting, not to sure when my left Achilles was not swollen, just have to ice and foam roll and kenzo tape.

If someone is telling you age is a factor, they're taking the easy option. There is no objective connection I'm aware of between age, relatively low mileage ,and regular injury. You may have your own theories but is it time to face the fact that they are not working in the sense of keeping you injury-free? Maybe time for new thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Have you considered Orthotics? or maybe you have them already. worked for me in tandem with strength work.

Also maybe avoid sitting in operator chairs as much as possible... I have a kneeling chair & a height adjustable desk now (I stand half the time).

if I sit for a few hours my back is in BITS! it's weird. but definitely keep up & keep pushing yourself with core & leg strength work. YOGA & Pilates.

Frustrating I know, hope you find a solution.

If someone is telling you age is a factor, they're taking the easy option. There is no objective connection I'm aware of between age, relatively low mileage ,and regular injury. You may have your own theories but is it time to face the fact that they are not working in the sense of keeping you injury-free? Maybe time for new thinking?

Maybe it is but I can't decide what that should be to be honest.

I've now developed some pain in my left knee behind the knee cap. I would forgive you for thinking I was making this stuff up ! It came on just in last few days. It seems to be ok when I run with knee strap and i'm thinking it may be related to tightness in the quad so will be rolling the bejaysus out the quads in next few days. I just cannot believe how unlucky I am!
    Steroo wrote: »
    Have you considered Orthotics? or maybe you have them already. worked for me in tandem with strength work.

Also maybe avoid sitting in operator chairs as much as possible... I have a kneeling chair & a height adjustable desk now (I stand half the time).

if I sit for a few hours my back is in BITS! it's weird. but definitely keep up & keep pushing yourself with core & leg strength work. YOGA & Pilates.

Frustrating I know, hope you find a solution.

Orthotics are not something I've considered. I'm pretty confident I have the right brand of footwear since I've used the same brand (Brooks ) since probably 2010 and I haven't always had so many injury issues.

I have proper back supported chair at work and now also a height adjustable desk so I can stand if needed.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning R,

Would you head up to Santry Sports Clinic for an assessment there?

My Sister was having knee troubles and had bigger surgeries than I had. She was assessed and told that her knee was ok and that her hamstrings were weak so that was causing the pain. Given a few simple exercises to do each morning and she's much better.

The set-up there is great as they have gym equipment to show you all exercises properly. I think worth a trip.

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning R,

Would you head up to Santry Sports Clinic for an assessment there?

My Sister was having knee troubles and had bigger surgeries than I had. She was assessed and told that her knee was ok and that her hamstrings were weak so that was causing the pain. Given a few simple exercises to do each morning and she's much better.

The set-up there is great as they have gym equipment to show you all exercises properly. I think worth a trip.

Hi A,

It's an option for sure. I'm very familiar with the setup there. I spent three months , three times a week following the back strengthening program some time back. I'm back with the physio on 6th July so will manage it until then and see what he says. If it doesn't improve I'll go back earlier.

I trust this particular physio so will give him first go at it.

17/6 - 22mins 2.5mi@9:03

18/6 - 24 mins 2.7mi @8:30

19/6 - Cycle commute

20/6 - 26 mins 2.9mi @9:00

21/6 - Rest

22/6 - cycle commute

23/6 - Cycle commute

24/6 - 28 mins (incl Parkrun in 23:35) 3.4mi@8:01

25/6 - 32 mins 3.8mi@8:18

26/6 - Cycle commute

27/6 - Cycle commute plus 4.8mi@8:36

28/6 - 3.3mi @8:37

29/6 - Rest--- Work day trip to Paris. Long day . 6am flight out and 10pm flight back.

30/6 - Cycle commute

1/7 - St Annes parkrun with short w/up and c/d - 23:05 for parkrun. 4.1mi@8:05

2/7 - 4.3mi @8:41

3/7 - Cycle commute

4/7 - 4.9mi@9:13

5/7 - Cycle commute

6/7 - 0.6mi@8:42 over to physio. Hamstring issue resolved. Worked on my quads and tightness there seems to be causing knee cap to
    come off-track and causing some pain. So he changed exercise plan. Immediate difference noticed from the work he did.
    Achilles slightly inflamed so need to keep an eye on that.

0.6mi@ 8:36 back to work

Docklands 5Km Race - Had organised 30 people from work to do this so kind of had to do it myself too. Had a personal goal to get under
    23 mins as I had done 23:05 recently at parkrun. Was delighted to come in at 22:27 but even happier to get home in one piece
    and delighted with consistent effort over course of race 7:19,7:21,7:21

Achilles was a bit sore as I wore the ST5s rather than the adrenalines but some icing when I got home seemed to do the trick. I think
    I'll be doing that on a regular basis from here on.

7/7 - Cycle commute

8/7 - My 50th Parkrun. Nice to hit the milestone at last. Went out with the intention of just jogging around but as I got into it
    I was feeling pretty good so went with it without exerting myself too much. 23:30 was my finishing time.

9/7 - "long" run for the week of 5.95 mi@9:02.

After discussing with physio on Thursday we have a loose plan for getting me to DCM startline in October and get me around hopefully.

Plan is to keep the mileage low overall and more rest days ie 4 days running per week with 2 of them easy runs, 1 faster run and the long run
    creeping up very graduallly in distance each week. Seems like a sensible plan to me for the moment.

My week will consist of 4 days running, 1 day pilates class, 1 day core class, cycle commuting 3/4 days and plenty of strength exercises during
    the course of the week.

Hopefully that will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

No mention of the feather boa??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

There are pictures :p

annapr wrote: »
    There are pictures :p

Ha ha. Yes I thought I got away with it as my name wasn't called out before the start but one of my friends declared my 50th after the run and I had my obligatory pink feather boa moment! There are photos to prove it, but I just cant seem to insert a link here for some reason;)

• Advertisement

Ha ha. Yes I thought I got away with it as my name wasn't called out before the start but one of my friends declared my 50th after the run and I had my obligatory pink feather boa moment! There are photos to prove it, but I just cant seem to insert a link here for some reason;)

There are some lovely pics on the St. Anne's parkrun facebook page :D. I won't post the link though! Congrats on your 50th, am hoping to be not too far behind you :). Well done on the 5k race too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great to see you back running. Congrats on the 50th Parkrun, great time in Docklands and getting back on the DCM track.

Younganne wrote: »
    Great to see you back running. Congrats on the 50th Parkrun, great time in Docklands and getting back on the DCM track.

Thanks so much YA. Hope your hip has settled and you get back into DCM training rhythm too. Congrats on the London entry too. I'm in the ballot myself so fingers crossed for October.

10/7 - Cycle commute both ways. Plus Core Strengthening Class
    11/7 - Progression Run. 6.4mi @ 8:34avg (9:07,8:47,8:43,8:37,8:33,8:00,7:41)
    12/7 - Cycle commute both ways.
    13/7 - Easy Runmute home. 6.2mi@ 8:54avg
    14/7 - Early morning pilates class. Day off running. Lots of beer that night.
    15/7 - Rest
    16/7 - Long Run - 7 mi @8:56 incl half of the corkscrew in Sutton.

Daily icing of achilles seems to be keeping it at bay. The knee pain is not there when I run so that is not affecting me but I has some pain when I do lunges and the like.
    Only three runs this week with about 20 mile covered. Not exactly great marathon preparation but I'll just have to be patient. 4 runs this week is the plan with the Liberties 6k
    included. We'll have over a hundred people from work doing it. One of our colleagues tragically lost his life earlier this year after being knocked off his bike by a taxi.
    He was signed up for this run so we are all doing it in his memory.
    Will stretch the long run this week to 8 or 9 miles ....Wooooo! :-)

Due an update here. So things have been ticking along ok since last posting. Still have some concerns with Achilles but seem to be managing it ok. how long I can keep that up for is up for debate but physio ( as of yesterday) is satisfied I'm doing all the right things and the agreed approach seems to be working so far. Still need to be careful though and the 10 % rule must be strictly adhered to.

Had been icing my Achilles so much recently that I gave myself an ice "burn". Yes apparently that's what it is called..

Everything was put into perspective this week though, with the news of a the sudden loss of our club mate Johnny F. Such a nice guy and so encouraging to us mid packers during training sessions when he joined in. He will be sorely missed. Huge turnout from the club this morning at his funeral and he got a fitting send off.

So here is how I've fared over the last while:

17/7 - Cycle commute both ways plus Core Class in the morning

18/7 - Cycle commute in pus 7.1mi @8:25 at lunchtime

19/7 - Cycle commute home

20/7 - Liberties Run . 4 miles (with 107 work colleagues) Chip time 30:02. had a target in my head of sub 30 so was a little peeved at that. I didn't take long to get over it though.

21/7 - Rest

22/7 - Parkrun St Annes. Bit of a progression run 8:39.7:59.7:33. Finished in 24:30 or something like that

23/7 - LSR 10.4mi @9:38. Longest run in a while and thoroughly enjoyed it in the company of some of my more experienced clubmates.

24/7 - Cycle commute both ways

25/7 - 3.6mi@9:20 Easy lunchtime run

26/7 - Cycle commute both ways

27/7 - 1.4mi jog to/back from Physio plus runmute home 6.3mi@9:14

This conservative plan seems to be working for me at the moment insofar as I'm getting out regularly and starting to get miles in the legs. Hopefully the body will continue to play ball and I'll get to that start line.

Part of me now wants to get there for Johnny as we had a conversation about it some weeks ago at a club session.

Next race planned is the Frank Duffy 10 miler 26th August.

28/7 - Rest

29/7 - St Annes parkrun. 22:47. It was a bit of an odd one this. I arrived feeling tired and the bottle of vino the night before wasn't exactly great preparation for any assault on a time. It was pacer day so I was looking around to see if it would be worth tracking any of the pacers. I settled on the 24 mins pacer. If I could just stay ahead of him (Keith) then i'd be happy with that. As the run progressed I started felling my way into it and without killing myself I found a hard pace that I felt I could maintain. Had the 23 min pacer n my sights on the second lap and while I wasn't trying to catch him, I was gradually gaining on him. Once I hit the avenue for the final stretch I was just trying to keep the breathing steady, the legs definitely had something left in them but didn't want to push too hard given all my niggles. Was able to give it a good burst in last 80 metres or so and was delighted in end to get in under the 23 mins mark. 2017 best is still 22:08 but I think if I can keep up the training I might be able to break into the 21s in the next 6 weeks.

30/7 - LSR in great company on the usual early morning Sunday club run. 11.3miles @ 9:35.

31/7 - Cycle commute both ways plus morning Core class. The core class is a good 45 min workout and really get's the heartrate up as well as sweating buckets. Felt like just going back to bed after this #shattered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you back in the groove, R... hope all goes well from here...

annapr wrote: »
    Good to see you back in the groove, R... hope all goes well from here...

Thanks Anna. I hope so too, I've just signed up for the Dublin HM and the 3/4 marathon! :eek:

1/8 - runmute with some steady miles thrown in. 6.2mi @8:40

8:32,8:51,9:00,8:39,8:24,8:27, (9:00)

2/8 - Cycle commute both ways

3/8 - Easy runmute home [EMAIL="6.1mi@8:56"]6.1mi@8:56[/EMAIL]

4/8 - Rest day

5/8 - St Annes PR (22:50). 22:47 last week so some consistency there. Wasn't eye balls out but a good workout.

6/8 - LSR - [EMAIL="12.3mi@9:28"]12.3mi@9:28[/EMAIL] in good company. Nice and slow, just perfect really. Gradually inching up in the mileage. Achilles was talking to me after 8 miles but no sharp pain. Just need to keep an eye on this.

7/8 - Rested

8/8 - 6miles @9:01. Furst 4 easy with some pace injected for last two. Felt good overall.

9:43,9:38,9:47,9:18,8:16,7:45

• Advertisement

Coming along nicely, looks like a good week.

Advertisement