Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3.97miles@8:39 at lunchtime today. Still some lingering effects from the recent illness in the head and chest but legs were grand. Happy with the run. It was one of those it'll either kill me or cure me ones. I think I'm cured.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Great to see you back R. Only spotted the new log now.

Nice morning's running starting with St Anne's Park Run. Ran this with both my sons, the eldest making his park run debut and "running of any sort" debut. He is mildly asthmatic so had the inhaler in the pocket just in case.
    Both the lads ran really well with #2 son who is 11 running 27:02 for a new PB. #1 son dipped in at 27:59 which was great considering his footwear was not ideal (astro turf runners). Great bonding session!

Caramel squares from the market all round to celebrate afterwards. Put mine on hold though as I had a speed session to go to an hour later.

Went down to meet & train group to ease myself back into a little bit of speed work. Hadn't done anything like this since last summer so wasn't sure how it was going to go. Only two of us turned up so we got warmed up and started it sharpish. The plan was 8 x 400s. The recoveries varied in the region 45-60s. It was more a case of the coach starting us off again once we caught our breath again rather that religiously waiting for the 60 secs to pass.

Took the first few probably a bit fast so slowed it down a bit to ensure I'd do the full 8. Shows I have a lot of work to do to get back to where I was but you have to start somewhere. This was run on grass too and surface was uneven and not having the spikes with me didn't help, but it was a good workout. Need to do this stuff regularly now to try get back in the game again.

Rep 1 : 101 (6:41)
    Rep 2 : 95 (6:37)
    Rep 3 : 96 (6:31)
    Rep 4 : 102 (6:52)
    Rep 5 : 103 (7:05)
    Rep 6 : 100 (6:43)
    Rep 7 : 103 (7:12)
    Rep 8 : 100 (6:38)

Good days work . 5.4miles in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice days work there, R. Well done you and the lads too, decent times they put in. Mmmm, caramel squares.:)

Long run today. Plan was 10 miles easy.

10.2miles done @9:06avg in 92mins.

Got out around midday after the worst of the rain had fallen. Legs felt quite tired at the end of this one. No doubt this had something to do with the work done yesterday. Very happy though with the run. Splits were very even and effort was nice and easy but did tire a bit at the end.

Met laura_ac3 along the coast and had a nice chat before we went our separate ways. Apart from that nothing major to report. I'm on a training course next week so my schedule will be upset and will have to be creative in getting the runs in next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great work going on here, great to see your return is going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work going on here I see!

Recovery run 4.26miles @9:45

Legs a little sore from last few days work. Hopefully this will sort them out.

Nothing else to say really.

On the weight watch front, not much movement this week:

Starting weight Jan 1st: 15st9.6lbs/ 99.8kg

Last Week : 15st 3lbs/ 96.8kg

Today : 15st 3.2lbs/97.1kg

Logistics difficult today so couldn't get out for a run. Instead I did some bike work, core and strengthening stuff.

-25mins on static bike at a decent clip. 15km distance covered

- 1 x 10 Split squats on each side
    - 1 x 1minute front plank
    - 5 x 20 ab crunches
    - 1x 20 on each side glute exercises that I just don't have a name for!:confused: (Standing on one leg, pendulum type exercise)

Time for more speed work.

2.48 miles w/up @9.30

Followed by 3 x 1mile @ 10k pace (or as fast as I could hold for 3 of these) with 3 mins recovery in between.

Couldnt see my pace at all for these so was hard to know what I was doing. Mostly into a headwind on the last rep so had to dig deep to get through it. Not sure what the results mean but effort wise it was a decent workout for me at this stage.

Rep 1: 7:18
    Rep 2: 7:02
    Rep 3: 7:26

1.14miles@9:36 cool down to bring total for night to 6.62miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Reassuring session for your sub 22 5k attempt soon (that is the target isn't it?)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Reassuring session for your sub 22 5k attempt soon (that is the target isn't it?)

Yeah, I think sub 22 is a realistic target for this stage in my recovery. I may do this one weekly for next few weeks to gauge my progress.

5.84 miles easy @ 9:14.

Calves giving out a bit after last nights efforts. Had originally planned on doing about 7 miles but as the run went on, felt that the extra bit might be counter productive so left it short. It is very tempting to do loads of miles too soon so need to keep myself in check a bit and gradually increase it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

RedRunner wrote: »
    5.84 miles easy @ 9:14.
    It is very tempting to do loads of miles too soon so need to keep myself in check a bit and gradually increase it over time.

Great to see you going well again R. What you said above is very similar to how i'd be, maybe its worth seeking out a plan of sorts to keep you in check?

Great to see you going well again R. What you said above is very similar to how i'd be, maybe its worth seeking out a plan of sorts to keep you in check?

Thanks OP. I definitely think I improve better with structure in my plan. I just need someone other than myself to invest in my ambition to improve and help me along. I'll have to think about who could help me with that and go a begging!

27/2 - Rest and a few pints to celebrate passing my exam after the weeks training.

28/2 - Session - 10 x 400m w/60secs rec

Small warm up before starting these. Brought the spikes with me this week as we were doing them on grass.
    1 - 101 (7:03)
    2 - 103 (7:12)
    3 - 100 (6:39)
    4 - 100 (6:38)
    5 - 103 (6:56)
    6 - 103 (7:09)
    7 - 99 (6:56)
    8 - 99 (7:00)
    9 - 95 (7:03)
    10 - 93 (6:24)

Avg pace seems a bit off on some of these but the route was near a tree line. Tried to keep the effort as even as possible. I landed on my face on rep 2 as I trip over some plastic tie thing in the grass. No damage done and was able to continue no problem.

Was happy to get 10 done as only managed 8 last week and felt stronger overall too. Couldn't resist a bit of a kick on the last one:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on passing your exam R, nice 400's to.

Long run today with the club. Turned into a bit of a progression run but felt good so went with it.

Splits

9:28
    8:44
    8:52
    8:48
    9:07
    8:56
    8:56
    8:26
    8:30
    8:37
    (7:51)

10.35 miles today and a little over 30 for the week. Travelling with work next week so will pack the runners and see what I can get done. I'm happy with this weeks work and if I can get a few more weeks like this, I'll heading back to where I want to be.

Jan Total - 54 miles
    Feb Total - 75 miles

2/3 - Rest day from running. Travel to Frankfurt with work. Few beers with colleagues.

3/3 - 2.53mi @9:42 along the banks of river main. Hated every minute of this run. #Suffering

4/3 - 4.01mi @8:28 along the banks of the river main. Quite enjoyed this run.

8:55,8:44,8:27,7:51

5/3 - 8.78 mi @8:29 along the banks of the Grand Canal ( for a while) with colleague at lunchtime. He jumped off opting for the shorter route and I went on, heading out to Merrion gates and turned back toward city centre through Ringsend. I wanted to push myself a bit today. Was feeling good throughout. In short, I loved every minute of this run and legs felt great after it.

9:37,9:01,8:20,8:34,8:12,8:01,8:20,8:07,(8:04)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Coming along nicely there, R! (And good to see you're exploring the waterways of two countries.)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Coming along nicely there, R! (And good to see you're exploring the waterways of two countries.)

Getting there D. Slowly but surely. Still a bit to go to get back to where I was last year but I'm pleased with progress so far. You're not doing too bad yourself. Careful with the back, but I don't need to tell you that!

6/3 - Rested as logistically difficult to get out for run between work and home commitments. Listened to the John O'Regan podcast on Newstalk from Wednesday night. Missed the documentary on Setanta, maybe it will be repeated.

7/3 - Speed work with Fit for life group from club. 10 x 400m w/90sec rec. It think it is just shy of 400m to be fair, probably about 395m.

3miles warmup first as had to run to St Annes, OH had the car. 9:37avg pace

1 : 97 (7:25)
    2 : 90 (6:40)
    3 : 90 (6:13)
    4 : 91 (6:30)
    5 : 92 (6:13)
    6 : 93 (6:45)
    7 : 96 (6:37)
    8 : 92 (6:13)
    9 : 87 (6:01)
    10:86 (6:04)

Not sure about the times on these I think I was more consistently around the 94/95 mark in the first 8 in actuality. Don't trust these Garmin stats as again we were in same spot as last week very close to a tree line. What I took from it though was my form was improved and I'm getting stronger. Ran these pretty much on my own as I was the fastest there. I only say that because sometimes its better if there is someone a bit faster than you there to help you push it. Having said that I'm happy with the workout. Looking in reasonable shape for a sub 22 attempt next weekend.

2.47mi :9:25 warm down jog home to bring the days total to 7.92miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Building the miles up nicely RR, any niggles from the back at all?

tang1 wrote: »
    Building the miles up nicely RR, any niggles from the back at all?

Thanks Tang. Back is behaving itself at the moment, thankfully. Need to keep the focus on the exercises though. Easy to let them slip when the running starts to go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

6/3 - Rested as logistically difficult to get out for run between work and home commitments. Listened to the John O'Regan podcast on Newstalk from Wednesday night. Missed the documentary on Setanta, maybe it will be repeated.

7/3 - Speed work with Fit for life group from club. 10 x 400m w/90sec rec. It think it is just shy of 400m to be fair, probably about 395m.

3miles warmup first as had to run to St Annes, OH had the car. 9:37avg pace

1 : 97 (7:25)
    2 : 90 (6:40)
    3 : 90 (6:13)
    4 : 91 (6:30)
    5 : 92 (6:13)
    6 : 93 (6:45)
    7 : 96 (6:37)
    8 : 92 (6:13)
    9 : 87 (6:01)
    10:86 (6:04)

Not sure about the times on these I think I was more consistently around the 94/95 mark in the first 8 in actuality. Don't trust these Garmin stats as again we were in same spot as last week very close to a tree line. What I took from it though was my form was improved and I'm getting stronger. Ran these pretty much on my own as I was the fastest there. I only say that because sometimes its better if there is someone a bit faster than you there to help you push it. Having said that I'm happy with the workout. Looking in reasonable shape for a sub 22 attempt next weekend.

2.47mi :9:25 warm down jog home to bring the days total to 7.92miles

Definitely are; I did a similar session last August with the reps around the 1:40 mark and a longer recovery. A few days later I turned out 21:38 or something like that so looking good RR :)

8/3- LSR. Up at an ungodly hour to get this done. Plan was to do 10-12 easy.

11.4miles @9:11 done in 1:44:42

Splits:9:59,9:32,9:29,9:09,9:20,8:58,9:10,9:02,9:05,8:48,8:43,8:36

Legs were a bit battered after yesterday's session so took a while to warm into this. Nothing really to report. Good end to a good week. 35 miles .

9/3 - Rest day- 30 mins on the static bike (15km) and a few sit ups thrown in.

10/3 - Was aiming to do 7 or 8 miles but hadn't made up my mind as to how I was going to run them. Should I just do them easy or should I spice it up a bit with one eye on the 5k on Sunday. Might be good to get the harder stuff out of the way earlier in the week I was thinking. Set off without having made up my mind so while I was out there I sort of decided to go for steady miles if that's the right term. Not easy, not tempo/fast just somewhere in between.

First mile was faster than the garmin says in my opinion so not sure about the stats there. Really happy with the run. Confidence is up as a result.

8.24 miles @ 8:13

9:12,8:25,8:05,8:10,8:03,7:56,7:50,8:00,(9:29)

11/3

Lunchtime: Easy/Recovery run 3.4miles @9:09

PM: 20 mins easy on the bike, followed by some stretching, 100 sit ups and foam rolling

There's a carton of beetroot juice in the fridge. It must be race week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

There's a carton of beetroot juice in the fridge. It must be race week! ;)

+1

Dick Hooper was talking to me about you today about you bringing the 140 :)

• Advertisement

+1

Dick Hooper was talking to me about you today about you bringing the 140 :)

Go away, that's gas! Yes, he was very good to come in and talk to us the other night. I had JK in a few weeks back too. Two very interesting guys for very different reasons. Both big proponents of Lydiard's methods.

You seeking some extra coaching?;)

Advertisement