Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

"Told you so" :D great result, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    "Told you so" :D great result, well done!

Yes, you were right! :)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done R. Great time to have as a target to attack for the next one! Delighted to see things coming together for you :)
    you'll be back to where you were in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super work and a super result. It is well earned, fair play to you.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done R. Great time to have as a target to attack for the next one! Delighted to see things coming together for you :)
    you'll be back to where you were in no time.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Super work and a super result. It is well earned, fair play to you.

Thanks a mill both of ye.Yeah I'm delighted with the run. Target will have to be sub 21 next time out and work from there.

• Advertisement

16/3 - Easy run at lunchtime around Christchurch, Canal , Mount Street and back to work. 4.24 miles @8:36

17/3 - Easy run with hills and some pick up towards the end.

Ran from home out to Sutton cross and up towards Howth Summit turning off halfway up and coming back down the corkscrew and back home along the coast. Picked it up a bit for last mile or two. Good to get this done as the whole bottle of wine I drank last night was on my guilty conscience:o

7.07miles @8:37

Splits: 9:34,8:47,9:05,8:37,8:36,8:10,8:18,(8:19)

Was back up in Howth after with the OH and kids for a bit of hill walking to be followed by ice cream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice run. The corkscrew - where's that exactly?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice run. The corkscrew - where's that exactly?

Well the uphill route is right at Sutton cross, and keep along the coast on right ,past the dinghy club until you can see the Martello tower. You vere left here and hit the first hill. You turn left at the top where it plateaus for about 150m or so. Turn right at the bottom of this road and you hit the second hill. This builds up gradually until you come to the next VERY steep hill. It's a bit of a lung buster especially if you try and attack it.

In terms of road names I think it is Strand Road, Shielmartin Rd, Fintan's Road and then it brings you back up to Carrickbrack road. My clubmates call it the corkscrew , that's where I got the name from. Today I ran up carrickbrack and down this way for a change.

Ah yes - I did take that route down a while ago. Didn't like it - too steep for my rickety knees!

18/3 - Back was a bit sore at work today so need to watch that. Have been focussing more on the running lately than the exercising so need to correct that imbalance. It's hard to fit both in to the day though. I'll have to figure out how though.

7.4miles run home from work @8:41avg

Planning a double day tomorrow and perhaps do one every Thursday as I generally take Friday's off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi Robbie,

Pat said last night at the prize giving that next week's mile is postponed, so I THINK it's a mile on 1 and 15 April? Niall P has mailed the club asking them to update the Fixtures list on the webpage, so I'll let you know ocne I'm sure. Next week's in NOT on now - that's all I know!

Also, (sorry for being interfering) might it be better to do a run and a core session on Thursdays, rather than two runs, just to keep your back in good nick?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hi Robbie,

Pat said last night at the prize giving that next week's mile is postponed, so I THINK it's a mile on 1 and 15 April? Niall P has mailed the club asking them to update the Fixtures list on the webpage, so I'll let you know ocne I'm sure. Next week's in NOT on now - that's all I know!

Also, (sorry for being interfering) might it be better to do a run and a core session on Thursdays, rather than two runs, just to keep your back in good nick?

Helen, thanks for the update re the mile race. Will keep an eye on the website and FB.

I hear you on the other point. It's just an experiment today. I'm keeping the runs easy, just in and out of work and will take a rest tomorrow. Going to sit down tonight and look at all the exercise the physio recommended and pick a few of them to concentrate on for the next week. Maybe will try and do more lunchtime runs in future to give me more time in the evening to do the exercises or run into work and do the core stuff later in evening. Will try do more running on the grass too I think.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Will try do more running on the grass too I think.

Good idea! I've been doing that too. whenever I see grass / dirt I run on it rather than the road. Fingers crossed it keeps working!

3 people sub 5-minutes in last night's mile!

ETA: I was not one of them!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Good idea! I've been doing that too. whenever I see grass / dirt I run on it rather than the road. Fingers crossed it keeps working!

3 people sub 5-minutes in last night's mile!

ETA: I was not one of them!

But you did a great time. Well done! You'll be in the 5.xx next time.

19/3- Double Day

Decide to try this out as a means for bringing up the mileage.

AM - Ran into work at an easyish pace. Felt tired though at end of it. Presume this is because I had run the same distance just the night before.

7.11miles @8:46

PM - Ran home from work on tired legs so took it easy. Not the most enjoyable run ive had lately but was very satisfied when it was over.

7.2 miles @9:03

Glad to finish this and body a bit tired now but I suppose with yesterdays run in the evening these three runs came quite close together, 3 x 7mile runs within the space of 24hrs so tiredness I suppose is to be expected.

Total for the day 14.31miles

Not a fan of the 10% rule? ;)

Not a fan of the 10% rule? ;)

I know, naughty boy!

Overall I haven't been too bad. Weekly progression for last 5 weeks has been sensible enough.....until this week.

20,30,35,28 and 33 this week so far.

Could skip the long run on Sunday? Speed work on Saturday and rest tomorrow and keep it around 38 for the week. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me - long run hardly necessary at this stage.

I know, naughty boy!

Overall I haven't been too bad. Weekly progression for last 5 weeks has been sensible enough.....until this week.

20,30,35,28 and 33 this week so far.

Could skip the long run on Sunday? Speed work on Saturday and rest tomorrow and keep it around 38 for the week. What do you think?

Hey, I'm far from an expert but I'd agree with Murph about the long run. I'd be very wary about stressing the body with a long run the day after a speed session, especially at this stage. Personally, I've ignored the 10% rule on a few occasions and got away with it but it's worth situating your increase within the context of the last five day's work and the next 5 also. You've had a race (lot of stress on all systems), pretty strenuous double day (well 21 miles in 24 hours!), planned speed session and lsr....hmmmm...
    Different strokes for different folks; a lsr of 10 miles might be a recovery run at the upper end of things but for me, I'd always run jog with a recovery run day after a speed session, anything up to 45 mins at baby steps/v slow just to ease the legs out. You know your body best but it's a hard call to listen to your body when your brain is screaming 'run run run' :D

Hey, I'm far from an expert but I'd agree with Murph about the long run. I'd be very wary about stressing the body with a long run the day after a speed session, especially at this stage. Personally, I've ignored the 10% rule on a few occasions and got away with it but it's worth situating your increase within the context of the last five day's work and the next 5 also. You've had a race (lot of stress on all systems), pretty strenuous double day (well 21 miles in 24 hours!), planned speed session and lsr....hmmmm...
    Different strokes for different folks; a lsr of 10 miles might be a recovery run at the upper end of things but for me, I'd always run jog with a recovery run day after a speed session, anything up to 45 mins at baby steps/v slow just to ease the legs out. You know your body best but it's a hard call to listen to your body when your brain is screaming 'run run run' :D

Thanks Dubgal & Murph. Yes I think the sensible approach is to skip the long run , might do 5 miles if the body is ok with it.

Regarding a session a day before LSR, I've always thought this was risky but our club does it all the time??:confused: Is that just a different school of thought or an error on the part of coaches? Would be interested to hear what other clubs do in this regard from contributors on here. Might be worth a thread actually on its own.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dubgal & Murph. Yes I think the sensible approach is to skip the long run , might do 5 miles if the body is ok with it.

Regarding a session a day before LSR, I've always thought this was risky but our club does it all the time??:confused: Is that just a different school of thought or an error on the part of coaches? Would be interested to hear what other clubs do in this regard from contributors on here. Might be worth a thread actually on its own.

Yeah, I see that frequently too. Again, can't talk with any depth of knowledge here but for me, there are two key quality sessions (coming up now, they will be a track session and a tempo run) plus a long run per week. I don't see why they need to be done back to back; there are enough days in the week to spread them out padded by recovery and rest days. However, I have dipped into a couple of articles which discuss block training days, so there is likely some theory to support this approach. Me, I like my key sessions isolated. That's working quite well for now. Might be worth picking the coach's brains on that one alright. You've just reminded me to PM someone about sitting in the 'coaches corner' thread ;)

My club has does this too, although I've always assumed most people who do the Sunday long run don't do the Sat sessions (I don't do either myself). I must ask one of the coaches about this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi Redrunner,

My 2c, Just because the club does it doesn't mean you should be doing it. You have to do your training to suit your body and you are still coming back from a long lay off. You have pushed the boat out already this week with a double day. This was 14 miles remember.

You seem to be determined to push the boundaries all the time. Please be careful and give your body a chance to adapt to the various changes racing/double days/speed & long back to back. Introducing all of these together is a recipe for disaster I would imagine. Maybe not straight away but after a few weeks it will take it's toll.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi Redrunner,

My 2c, Just because the club does it doesn't mean you should be doing it. You have to do your training to suit your body and you are still coming back from a long lay off. You have pushed the boat out already this week with a double day. This was 14 miles remember.

You seem to be determined to push the boundaries all the time. Please be careful and give your body a chance to adapt to the various changes racing/double days/speed & long back to back. Introducing all of these together is a recipe for disaster I would imagine. Maybe not straight away but after a few weeks it will take it's toll.

Yes P, this is something I need to watch, but I find that this is just as responsible for my successes as my failures, you need to push yourself to improve but I get your point.I need to be more patient about it.
    I need to get myself a damn plan! and increase the mileage and intensity at a sensible ,gradual rate.

Thanks for the 2c!

Ahhhhh *eureka monent*...you're working without a plan? So no predicted progression? Yup, get a plan... :)
    I don't think that anyone would disagree with 'pushing your boundaries brings rewards' but nevertheless, the boundaries should be pushed within a structured plan.

Fixture list for the remainder of the Winter League updated:

Round 10 Wednesday 1st April - 1 Mile 8pm
    Brian Holland Cup Wed 8th April 3-sh miles (2.82?) 7.30pm (sealed handicap)
    Round 11 Wednesday 15th April - 1 Mile 8pm
    All welcome!!

Ahhhhh *eureka monent*...you're working without a plan? So no predicted progression? Yup, get a plan... :)
    I don't think that anyone would disagree with 'pushing your boundaries brings rewards' but nevertheless, the boundaries should be pushed within a structured plan.

Email sent. I need a plan Coach! :)

20/3 - Planned rest. A few pints after work as there was a leaving do. Nothing major, home by 9.30.

21/3 - Woke up today and my back was sore. Been a bit niggly recently and it was worse today. Decided against the session.

22/3 - Back still sore. Not good. (Heavy sigh!). Rested again. I can hear you all telling me "I told you so" as in I probably did too much this week. I have to concede perhaps you were right. Did some core work instead to see if that'd help things a bit.

2 x 10 Split squats on each side
    2 x 10 Hip Hitches on each side
    2 x 10 Single arm dumbbell row on each side
    2 x 10 Single arm overhead press on each side
    5 x 20 Landmines with Olympic bar
    2 x 15 Thai Crunches

Will monitor back over next few days. if I run it will be easy all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sorry to hear that R.
    Hope it improves soon.
    Maybe when re-introducing the doubles it might be a good idea to start with 2 shortish doubles - i.e. 2 x 35 mins or so and build from there.

Hope it's only a minor interruption to proceedings!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that R.
    Hope it improves soon.
    Maybe when re-introducing the doubles it might be a good idea to start with 2 shortish doubles - i.e. 2 x 35 mins or so and build from there.

Hope it's only a minor interruption to proceedings!

Thanks A. Probably good advice on the doubles but I'm not convinced the double is solely responsible for the issue. I think I probably should have taken more of a rest after the 5k race. Plus I should be doing a hell of a lot more core work than I have been!

Advertisement