Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thanks A. Probably good advice on the doubles but I'm not convinced the double is solely responsible for the issue. I think I probably should have taken more of a rest after the 5k race. Plus I should be doing a hell of a lot more core work than I have been!

Ah yeah I'm not suggesting the doubles did the damage but just something to consider when doubling up again.
    When I started doing doubles I started at 2 x 35 mins 3 times a week and it was a good way to safely build it up.

Fingers crossed for you R.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Ososlo wrote: »
    Ah yeah I'm not suggesting the doubles did the damage but just something to consider when doubling up again.
    When I started doing doubles I started at 2 x 35 mins 3 times a week and it was a good way to safely build it up.

Fingers crossed for you R.

Thanks. Coach has agreed to sit down with me and discuss plan so will see where any doubles might fit into the picture. Going to try some shorter stuff up until July which will probably include track and a sub 20 attempt at 5k.
    Will take a few days off and let the back settle again. I'm reasonably confident it'll be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Get well soon! I know I am some kind of core evangelist, but just keep doing it. Eoin couldn't run at all for at least 6 months a few years ago with his back, and he completely credits the club core sessions with his recovery ( and they're really cheap!). I have found Pilates really great. I know I hurt my back last summer, but I think the weekly Pilates class helped me catch it early and start working on fixing it. I felt the beginnings of it while doing some exercises before it had started to hurt in daily life, so it's even good for keeping an eye on how various bits of you are feeling!

23/3 - Update on the back is that it has been bothering me a bit in work with sitting, just like before but the level of pain isn't too bad . I feel I could probably run but I'm going to give it another day or two anyway to give it a good chance to settle.

In meantime, opted to do some more core work with increased reps on some of them.

2 x 10 Split squats on each side
    2 x 20 Hip Hitches on each side
    2 x 20 Single arm dumbbell row on each side
    2 x 10 Single arm overhead press on each side
    5 x 20 Landmines with Olympic bar
    4 x 15 Thai Crunches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

23/3 - Update on the back is that it has been bothering me a bit in work with sitting, just like before but the level of pain isn't too bad . I feel I could probably run but I'm going to give it another day or two anyway to give it a good chance to settle.

In meantime, opted to do some more core work with increased reps on some of them.

2 x 10 Split squats on each side
    2 x 20 Hip Hitches on each side
    2 x 20 Single arm dumbbell row on each side
    2 x 10 Single arm overhead press on each side
    5 x 20 Landmines with Olympic bar
    4 x 15 Thai Crunches

Kneeling chair! takes all the pressure off the lower back & engages the core all day long.... come on give it a go ;)

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    Kneeling chair! takes all the pressure off the lower back & engages the core all day long.... come on give it a go ;)

Ha ha, yes you have suggested that already haven't you!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ha ha, yes you have suggested that already haven't you!:D

Yep... only 'cause it worked for me & I'm currently on mine... but now that I think of it, If i was any taller it wouldn't work... and you're about 4 inches taller than me! but there are probably bigger ones out there

24/3- back feeling better today. Definite signs of improvement. No need to
    Rush back running though so will concentrate on core work and diet this week and get out hopefully later in week.

20 mins on static bike followed by

2 x 10 split squats on each side
    6 x 20 landmines with Olympic bar(no weights)
    4 x 10 floor press with bar (no weights,20kg)
    4 x 15 Thai crunch

25/3- on training course all day so the lengthy sitting didn't help back matters but have to grin and bear tomorrow too.

Went for more of same as last night with a little variety on a theme

20 mins on bike followed by

4x10 splits squats on each side
    6x15 Thai crunches
    8x20 Landmines with bar
    4x10 floor press (no weights)

Have had some discussion with the coach and I get a brand new shiny 5k training plan on saturday:D

26/3 - 4.25miles @8:21

Really enjoyed this run. No back issues during the run. Knee was a bit niggly at start but was fine when it warmed up.

Picking up a new toy tomorrow :

343223.jpg

• Advertisement

27/3 - Easy to steady run up to the bike shop to collect the new bike. A bit faster than easy because I was like a kid running to the sweet shop:D

[EMAIL="2.75miles@8:21"]2.75miles@8:21[/EMAIL]

28/3- A bit late for training as I had to go to a funeral this morning so warm up wasn't great. Plan was for the usual 10x400m w 90sec rec. Very blustery out so this affected the effort in places but probably evened itself out over the course of each rep.

1- 97 (6:25)
    2- 93 (5:59)
    3- 98 (6:24)
    4- 93 (6:12)
    5- 94 (6:02)
    6- 95 (6:20)
    7- 94 (6:15)
    8- 93 (6:09)
    9- 91 (6:02)
    10- 91 (5:57)

Times a bit funny on some of these but am pretty sure the first 8 were consistently around the 95/96 mark and the last two were slightly quicker alright. Happy with how it went especially since I ate a load of junk at the cinema last night!

Got a bit of a plan from the coach too. More of a middle-long distance plan but looks challenging so going to give it a try for a while and see how I get on with it.

Total today between warmup and reps - 3.18 miles.

29/3 - Long Run 12.14miles @ 9:00avg

Had set the alarm to get up early and do this from the club. This was very ambitious due to the fact that we had friends over for dinner last night and the clocks were changing. So got out around lunchtime;)

Cramped up last night in the hamstring
    reaching for a bottle of wine
    so was hopeful that it wouldn't bother me on the run today. It was fine in the end. Was conscious of keeping this in the easy end of easy after the session yesterday. A bit windy out there today which made it difficult at times but at other times it was my friend. Good to get a reasonably long one in again.

22 miles for the week (thurs-Sun)

30/3 - Despite getting throught the run fine yesterday, the oul hamstring is still a bit niggly today so decided to give the body a rest and just did 20 mins on the bike followed by some stretching, foam rolling and icing.

This is annoying because I was hoping to do a 1 mile race on Wednesday night at the club but if the hamstring still feels the same way I'm not going to risk it. Will make a final call on this on Wednesday. In the meantime I'll decide what I do tomorrow, tomorrow.

As an aside, the club has a fund raiser quiz on Thursday night. Thought it might be good to put a Boards team in? If you are interested, just PM me.
    Probably more suited to those on the North side (of Dublin)but if you are willing to travel, great!

31/3 - Easy run out to Howth via offington and back again. Quite blustery conditions. Legs felt heavy at beginning but warmed into run and got stronger as the run progressed. No pain from hamstring but felt a sensation in the area affected so that for me means it would be a risk to race tomorrow night so will not do it . Will keep it easy running between now and Saturday.

7.85miles@8:58

A review of mileage for month shows I'm heading in the right direction. A bit scary looking back at the latter half of last year.

Mileage Table

Month|2015|2014
    Jan|54|189
    Feb|85|167
    Mar|136|222
    Apr||101
    May||140
    Jun||131
    Jul||181
    Aug||87
    Sep||12
    Oct||30
    Nov||0
    Dec||0

1/4 - Contrary to what I said yesterday...went and did the mile race in the end....new PB 5:54 Woohooo
    April Fool!:pac:

1/4 - For real this time:D

So instead of an eyeballs out 1 mile I opted for something a little longer and went for a 10 mile progression run. Went out when I got home. Drizzly rain and a bit on the cool side. Perfect conditions! Ran this completely by feel without looking at the watch.Intention was to keep the effort easy and pick it up towards the end to a steady effort. Simple, nothing fancy.

Hammy was behaving, again no pain but there was a sensation there if that makes sense so knew I made the right decision not to race tonight. Plenty of stretching when I got back after. Was very happy with how it went and was really interested to see the splits after as I ran it completely by feel. My breathing was very relaxed for the whole run even at the end when I picked up the pace a bit, so delighted with that.

10.59miles @8:46avg (10 miles progression with slow warm down jog home at end)

Splits:9:06,9:00,9:03,9:00,8:59,8:43,8:39,8:36,8:24,7:48,(10:16)

I think this choice served me much better than a race and hopefully can keep the training going like this over the next few weeks and start building up the mileage and introduce more quality sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice bike!

Make sure you get it propery fitted and the cleats correctly aligned.

Given your back issues it's essential to get that right. Also, bend your elbows slightly when cycling, they act as shock absorbers. Failure to do that sends all the pressure up your arms and down your back.

Oh and get one of these bad boys http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/garmin-speed-cadence-bike-sensor-gsc-10-/rp-prod12526;jsessionid=F814D08D45AC843E2F5515B113D84CD4.crc-app-02-p-app1

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice bike!

Make sure you get it propery fitted and the cleats correctly aligned.

Given your back issues it's essential to get that right. Also, bend your elbows slightly when cycling, they act as shock absorbers. Failure to do that sends all the pressure up your arms and down your back.

Oh and get one of these bad boys http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/garmin-speed-cadence-bike-sensor-gsc-10-/rp-prod12526;jsessionid=F814D08D45AC843E2F5515B113D84CD4.crc-app-02-p-app1

Cheers. Thanks for the tip on the elbows. I'll practice bending them over the weekend;)

The guys in the shop were pretty good to be fair and insisted on making sure the bike fit me properly before taking it away. Will check out the gizmo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cheers. Thanks for the tip on the elbows. I'll practice bending them over the weekend;)

Just as once there's a bit of give you'll be fine.....

Keep her between the ditches and remember to double brake ;)

2/4 - No running. Rested. Quiz night. Few pints. Some elbow bending practice for the cycling:D Lemsip before bed

3/4 - Porridge and lemsip for breakfast, not in the one bowl mind you! Felt good enough to make it to Bungy Girl's Howth trail run this morning and brought a non boards friend along. A very enjoyable run. A bit windy in places and wet underfoot at times but despite that it was great. The company was superb of course which made it all the more enjoyable. It was a different kind of run to the usual hum drum so it was great to get some variety done and it was a great workout with the hill work that was included. Expertly led by PaulieYifter we snaked around the cliff walk stopping occasionally to regroup and make sure no one got lost and followed the right trail. I really should do this more often since I live so close. Have to include these type of trails in my longer runs in the summer. Lots of cakes to be had afterwards. Great to put more faces to Internet names. It was a very enjoyable morning all round.

7.32 miles in 1:25 @ 11:36avg

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/735946149

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great to meet you! Just caught up on the 1/4 report :D v good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

2/4 we snaked around the cliff walk stopping occasionally to regroup to wait for the slow people at the back and make sure no one got lost and followed the right trail.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/735946149

Fixed your post :D great to meet you today!

Firedance wrote: »
    Fixed your post :D great to meet you today!

Ha Ha. Great to meet you too!:)

4/4 - Session - 10 x 400 with a few hurdles thrown in and 90secs rec

Cycled up to this to take advantage of the more clement weather and make use of the new bike! It's only a couple of miles away so served as a nice way to warm up the muscles before getting to training.

Did the usual warmup routine and some drills before getting into the 400s. All done on grass and wore the spikes. He threw in some small hurdles at the end of each rep to sap a bit more out of the legs each time. I was still feeling a bit stuffed up from the head cold and could feel some of yesterdays run in the legs so just wanted to get through this and get it over with to be honest.

Reps went like so;

1 - 101 (7:14)
    2 - 98 (6:38)
    3 - 95 (6:31)
    4 - 99 (6:41)
    5 - 94 (6:46)
    6 - 93 (6:37)
    7 - 94 (6:36)
    8 - 96 (6:34)
    9 - 94 (6:18)
    10 - 92 (6:24)

A bit slower than last weeks but we did have the hurdles and I was doing this on tiredish legs. Back is a little sore after it though so I'm going to take tomorrow off and postpone the long run until Monday.

That was...I can only describe it as...damn fecking cruel :eek:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    That was...I can only describe it as...damn fecking cruel :eek:

In fairness to coach he did give us the option to avoid the hurdles. The masochist in me does like a challenge! I actually think I was the only one to do them in the end! Worse eejit!

Haha, no comment....too busy giggling :):):)

5/4- back pain:mad:

6/4- back pain:mad::mad:

Pi$$ed off is putting it mildly. Every time I get close to getting back on track something happens to knock me back. Not sure what I've been doing wrong if anything at all. Very frustrating. I want to run the K club 10k at weekend so my focus is just getting fit for start line of that is week. Luckily I am off work this week as I have exam on Friday so it gives me the opportunity to try and sort the back out. Icing for 5 mins every hour today coupled with some ibuprofen and bio freeze gel. I think it has improved but need to keep working at it.

Did 20 brisk mins on static bike to work up a sweat and going through some strengthening exercises at moment for glutes especially.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear that, hope the recovery goes well but if Saturday is too soon don't chance it, there will be loads of races...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Bollocks... Hopefully it'll be sorted asap R.

Advertisement