Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Balls, hope its nothing to severe RR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ososlo wrote: »
    Bollocks... Hopefully it'll be sorted asap R.

tang1 wrote: »

Testicles - hope you get sorted for the race.

Did I get it right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope the recovery goes well but if Saturday is too soon don't chance it, there will be loads of races...

There you go, being all sensible on me! On a serious note, I won't run if I am in pain or if I feel it is too much of a risk.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Bollocks... Hopefully it'll be sorted asap R.

Thanks A. I've been here before. It'll sort itself out, if not by Saturday, soon enough. I have a good feel for the problem at this stage and can usually tell how long it will take to recover from each episode.

Not severe B. In fact I believed it has improved on what it was like this morning so I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Testicles - hope you get sorted for the race.

Did I get it right ??

No...it was my Back!:D;)

..... thanks P. I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Oof, hope all ok soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Speedy recovery, hope all well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Speedy recovery, hope all well soon.

+ 1 to that..

8/4 - Some good news boys and girls. Woke up this morning and the back was feeling better. Could definitely feel a marked improvement on same time yesterday. Himmed and hawed (if that's how you spell that) about resting again today and in the end decided to go out for an easy run and see if the back reacted.

Lovely day out for it and first time in just a t-shirt this year I'd say. Set off at easy effort and felt like I was bouncing along. Wasn't looking at the watch but it felt easy effort in the first mile or so but I looked a the watch and I was doing 7:50 pace without realising so dialled it back a notch. Ran up along the coast in direction of town and then cut into StAnnes for some trail and grass running before coming back out again onto coast and home. As the run progress I felt really good so decided to give the back a bit of a test at a faster pace and brought it up to tempo for a mile before jogging the rest of the way home. No back pain whatsoever during the run. No doubt I'll have some stiffness or some aching later but happy that if it's still in good shape tomorrow, I should be grand for the 10k on Saturday. It's not a goal race or anything, come to think of it , not sure if I have any goal races at the moment. It's pretty much week by week for me right now.

5.73miles @8:10 steady run

Splits turned out to be: 8:20,8:08,8:34,8:16,7:25 (8:22)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good news :)
    Just tread really really carefully...

Slowly does it, whats to be gained from running the 10k Saturday? More bad than good could come out of it. Try get few weeks solid stuff behind you & maybe consider a race then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Slowly does it, whats to be gained from running the 10k Saturday? More bad than good could come out of it. Try get few weeks solid stuff behind you & maybe consider a race then.

and cut out the hurdles!! :pac::pac:

Glad to see it doesn't like anything serious though R, maybe a few weeks of session free easy running to build a solid base would help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good to see you're feeling improved but as others have said mind yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Its hard to bin a race you've already entered but I agree with tang1 given your history, R.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Its hard to bin a race you've already entered but I agree with tang1 given your history, R.

I've binned plenty of races before D because I knew I wasn't right so I'd do it again if I had to. I really think I'll be fine for Saturday. I think however , what I do in the days after the race will be very important so I will take a different approach to what I did subsequent to the MSB 5k race.

Appreciate the advice and sure enough if I was on the outside looking in I'd probably be giving the same advice. The thing with this back issue is that I truly believe that I could be doing easy stuff all the time and I will still have issues with it. So for me it is a case of making hay while the sun shines. I'm still learning to manage it with the exercises but its a process and I may have to try different things along the line because I'm still not sure what will work best for me longer term.
    At the moment it feels fine so I'm going to work with that. If it all goes pear shaped, I'll be the first to admit it was all my doing.

9/4 - 7 miles easy @8:39

Headed away from coast for a change up tonlegee road turning left at springdale road ,over to raheny, into St Annes and worked my way round the edges till I got to the bottom of watermill road and onto the coast. The whole range of surfaces in this run, concrete,tarmac,grass and trail.
    back was fine on the run but the left hamstring felt a little tight but what's new?

Lots of stretching and some foam rolling on the quads and hamstrings afterwards.

RedRunner wrote: »
    9/4 - 7 miles easy @8:39

Much to FAST for easy pace...........

Much to FAST for easy pace...........

Ha ha...That didn't take long!

It was definitely easy EFFORT...I promise!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Break a leg tomorrow RR...but not your back ;)

Best of luck tomorrow Robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow.
    Hope your racing return goes well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you can keep the injuries at bay!

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Break a leg tomorrow RR...but not your back ;)
    Best of luck tomorrow Robbie.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow.
    Hope your racing return goes well.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, hope you can keep the injuries at bay!

Thanks everyone. Just looking forward to the race day experience again.

10/4- Easy short run with a few strides thrown in to shake the legs out a bit before the K Club tomorrow.

3.44mi @8:45 w/4x15secs strides

Was feeling a little heavy legged setting out but improved as the run went on. I'd prefer to felt a bit more pep in my step but it is what it is, hopefully will be right in the morning. I've often felt this way before a race so won't dwell on it too much.

So tomorrow I race a 10k, I think the first time since Fingal 10k of last year where I managed a PB by almost 3 mins coming in at 43:50. I went off too fast that day with a 6:30 and 6:40 first couple of miles . I wont be making that mistake tomorrow. Will be keeping a more consistent pace, at least that is the plan. In terms of goals for tomorrow:

Goal #1 : Come through the race in one piece

Goal #2 : Help Bungy Girl to a new PB if I can(no pressure)

Goal #3 : Go sub 45 myself

So target is 44:42 or less (I think that's right BG isn't it?)

Anything faster will be a bonus. Anything over 45 will be disappointing.

Don't know the course at all, first time running there but I believe it is fairly flat with a bit of an uphill section near the finish.

Good luck to everyone else running whether it be at the k Club or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck RR. Keep it simple :)

So target is 44:42 or less (I think that's right BG isn't it?)

Yup, my loose plan was to stay between 4:25 and 4:28 per Km. Now I'll just follow you :D. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hope it goes well! Good luck.

Yup, my loose plan was to stay between 4:25 and 4:28 per Km. Now I'll just follow you :D. Cheers!

Grand, you do that and I'll aim for 7:05-7:10min miles and we'll be golden!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Best of luck :D

Grand, you do that and I'll aim for 7:05-7:10min miles and we'll be golden!;)

It sounds much faster in miles :eek:

Could I just have a piggyback ?

It sounds much faster in miles :eek:

Could I just have a piggyback ?

Must stop laughing....it's beginning to hurt:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good luck to you both! Have a great race without pain or injury:)

Advertisement