Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd consider resting and icing it until there is no more pain and then go back easy running and try and do some heel drops/calf raises to strengthen the area.

Yeah decided to rest and ice today and review again tomorrow. Will concentrate on stretching the calves and doing some core stuff later instead. Seriously considering a sports massage too if the wallet will allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

RedRunner wrote: »
    Seriously considering a sports massage too if the wallet will allow.

Foam rolling ? Find it great for tight calves (if that's what's causing the achilles issue)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Foam rolling ? Find it great for tight calves (if that's what's causing the achilles issue)

Good thinking Batgirl!

Good thinking Batgirl!

I'm all about the foam rolling at the minute after purchasing this (in pink, natch) after the race on Saturday. By the sounds of things I should have got one for you too! Speedy recovery!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've one of those as well, possible to self inflict a lot pain with one of those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

What's your hip area like? Knee and ankle/Achilles niggles are often linked to hip strength/tightness. Maybe a trip to walkinstown?!

I've one of those as well, possible to self inflict a lot pain with one of those!

I have realised that :eek:

My main concern though is finding a suitable hiding place for it so it is not requisitioned by the young un as a tunnel for her cars :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

me too... its an amazing tool but OMG the pain! mine is black for added pain :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What's your hip area like? Knee and ankle/Achilles niggles are often linked to hip strength/tightness. Maybe a trip to walkinstown?!

Agree with this, maybe a massage will sort you out, and identify what areas need strengthening. As DG says it could be a completely different area than where you are feeling pain. Money well spent if it helps you sort out your issues and get back running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I find too that rolling the calf in 2 separate parts really helps.
    Do the area from under the knee to mid way down on it's own and then focus on the area from ankle to half way up. I think it works better than treating the calf as one whole area with one big roll.

My niece always uses mine as a tunnel for her cars when she visits too:)
    If you ever bring it abroad you can use it to transport your wine/prosecco bottles safely home:)

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    If you ever bring it abroad you can use it to transport your wine/prosecco bottles safely home:)

That is fantastic (and timely!) advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That is fantastic (and timely!) advice :D

ha ha great stuff. Even if you don't get around to running and rolling on the hols then it won't have been a total waste of space bringing it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ososlo wrote: »

My niece always uses mine as a tunnel for her cars when she visits too:)
    :)

My nephew shouts through mine like it's a megaphone. (He's familiar with megaphones as he sees his uncle using one at parkrun ('Eoin LOUD!') :)

I'm all about the foam rolling at the minute after purchasing this (in pink, natch) after the race on Saturday. By the sounds of things I should have got one for you too! Speedy recovery!

Yes, I have one of those in Orange!:)

Ah here...how long have you got?

I don't think its too bad and should get rid of it in a few days after some torture on the roller and icing etc. If not, I'll consider a trip to our friend in walkinstown.

...but for the record I generally have the following niggles from time to time(apart from the back but probably related)

Hips- Generally ok but the right side much tighter than the left. Usually feel issues there late into a marathon plan when the mileage is well high. Have had Hip flexor isues in the past.

Ankles- Went over on them countless times playing football but never caused me problems while running

Achilles- have had this type of strain injury before but never for too long. Usually manage to get over it.

Knees - My left knee crunches like you wouldn't believe. Bad tracking there I think. Knee pain put me out of DCM 2013(patellofemoral pain) Occasional niggle now and again.

Hamstrings- Tighter than the proverbial Duck's Ar5e, but particularly back on the left side.

...so may as well shoot me now!:)

Bang :D

Ps my 4yo is getting a foam roller for her birthday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ps my 4yo is getting a foam roller for her birthday :D

Lol... now that's exploitation :D

14/4 - 30mins on static bike, stretching, icing of achilles, foam rolling calves,more icing of Achilles.

15/4 - Feeling ok to run so decided to run home from work this evening along the coast keeping it mostly on grass from Clontarf onwards in direction of Howth. Kept it real easy and quite enjoyed the run.Most importantly no back pain, no Achilles pain. Legs in general definitely feel like they need a bit of maintenance so think I'll have a look for Ecolii's details and try book something for next week. I think someone sent them to me before if not I'll PMing someone here for this.

7.27 miles @9:05avg

Haven't logged my weight details here in a while so checked that this evening:

Starting weight Jan 1st: 15st9.6lbs/ 99.8kg

27th Feb(Last weigh-in) : 15st 3.2lbs/ 97.1kg

Today : 14st 13.2lbs/95.1kg

My diet is improving slightly. Trying to be more disciplined recently with the sweet tooth. Although I have social events tomorrow and Friday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice job on the weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Ah here...how long have you got?

I don't think its too bad and should get rid of it in a few days after some torture on the roller and icing etc. If not, I'll consider a trip to our friend in walkinstown.

...but for the record I generally have the following niggles from time to time(apart from the back but probably related)

Hips- Generally ok but the right side much tighter than the left. Usually feel issues there late into a marathon plan when the mileage is well high. Have had Hip flexor isues in the past.

Ankles- Went over on them countless times playing football but never caused me problems while running

Achilles- have had this type of strain injury before but never for too long. Usually manage to get over it.

Knees - My left knee crunches like you wouldn't believe. Bad tracking there I think. Knee pain put me out of DCM 2013(patellofemoral pain) Occasional niggle now and again.

Hamstrings- Tighter than the proverbial Duck's Ar5e, but particularly back on the left side.

...so may as well shoot me now!:)

I have had almost exactly the same niggles come and go over the last four months lower back, right hip area, mainly left knee tight hamstrings, more so on the left and right achilles stiffness. Are you left footed when playing football by any chance???

MKDTH wrote: »
    I have had almost exactly the same niggles come and go over the last four months lower back, right hip area, mainly left knee tight hamstrings, more so on the left and right achilles stiffness. Are you left footed when playing football by any chance???

Hi MKDTH..

My footballing days are well behind me but when I did play I was predominantly right footed. Could kick with the left in soccer but rubbish with the left in GAA Football.
    My physio says when I stand up straight my body twists forward on my left ie he can see my left should when looking from my right side. ..If that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Bang goes that theory then ;)

I suppose its just wear and tear when you get to our kind of age. It will make it all the more sweeter when you next PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

MKDTH wrote: »
    Bang goes that crackpot theory then ;).

FYP ;)

16/4-Lunchtime city run at very easy pace. Achilles not great. Continue to ice and roll in the evening and decide to take a few days off running to give it time to recover.

2.93miles @9:41

20/4- Easy run along the coast in direction of town and up into StAnnes for some running on grass and trail. Nice evening for it and really enjoyed the run. Achilles feeling the benefit of the rest but still not perfect.

6.36miles @8:44

21/4- Eldest son playing a match in St Annes. Was really tired due to stressful couple of days and a job interview that afternoon but decided to get out and do something while the match was on. Set of nice and easy and once I got going and found a rhythm it started getting easier. Met lots of my clubmates running around the park in their separate groups along the way. Another lovely evening for a run. As I started enjoying the run I started speeding up so turned it into a bit of a fartlek run, increasing the pace for a while, slowing down, bring it up a notch again and so on. Achilles was feeling no pressure and seemed grand. When I got back to the pitch where the game was just did a little jogged lap of pitch to warm down and went back to car to get water before going back for end of game. Back felt a little irritated and was causing me a little concern at this stage.

5.19 miles @8:09 with 0.41@ 9:41 to warm down. Total 5.6miles

Splits: 8:28,8:56,8:12,7:20,7:40,(8:57)

When I got back to house, back was feeling worse. Put some ice on it and took ibuprofen and went to bed hoping for the best.

Today I woke up and back was not feeling great at all. Very stiff and when in work it was getting worse. At one point I got up out of my chair at end of a meeting and it felt very weak. Oh boy here we go again.

So all short term plans are cancelled, which included a go at the RTE 5 this weekend and a jogged Samsung Night run. I need to sit down and think about what my best plan of action is to recover well and easing back into it again. I might go back to the SSC to the physio to review what I've been doing or not doing and plan a best course of action. All the core work and exercising I've done seems to have made no difference at the end of the day. I'm beginning to wonder now if I'm cursed with this from now on and will never get a really decent block of training in again. This is so frustrating. Biofreeze and Nurofen for the time being and hopefully the back will settle in a few days so I can at least attempt some core work again.

I'll get a chance to catch up on the 30+ training logs now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that RR, all i can say from my injuries woes is keep at it, it will click into place for you. Your due a break in fortunes injury wise in fairness.

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that RR, all i can say from my injuries woes is keep at it, it will click into place for you. Your due a break in fortunes injury wise in fairness.

Thanks Tang. I'm a glass half-full kind of person usually but this is starting to really pi55 me off big time. I'll persevere though and hopefully things will improve eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That's really disappointing for you RR, sorry to hear it. A dodgy back is really a curse. Hopefully resting it will get you back again before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've gone 2.5 years without a solid training block due to recurring injuries. Without cycling I probably would have given up.

Keep up the fitness and keep at the core exercises, make sure you enjoy what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well my advice would be to stop everything until you talk to doc/physio. You don't know if these problems are being caused or exacerbated by running, cycling, stretching, or core work, or any combination of same. Time for a reevaluation of the whole regime, maybe adding back one at a time over a long period once you recover. That would be my thinking anyway, following further medical advice from the informed position of where you are now in relation to where you were at the last MRI etc.

All the best with it, R. It is a curse alright.

Advertisement