Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application "References"

Options
  • 05-01-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

"8. References
    As part of your application you will be expected to provide two referees who can be contacted by the Admission Office(s) of the institution(s) that you are applying to verify the information provided on your application form."

I am applying as a mature student. I am just wondering. Who do I enter here?
    I have not been in school since 1992, But I have done a Fetac course lately.

So the only people I can think of is my previous employer and a Representative from where I done the Fetac course. Would that be ok? As it has been a long time since I have been in school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Munster2015

I say those would be fine. I am in a similar boat at the moment myself.
    Furthermore, is it ok just to provide a name and contact phone number?
    Or do they require an actual written reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

"8. References
    As part of your application you will be expected to provide two referees who can be contacted by the Admission Office(s) of the institution(s) that you are applying to verify the information provided on your application form."

I am applying as a mature student. I am just wondering. Who do I enter here?
    I have not been in school since 1992, But I have done a Fetac course lately.

So the only people I can think of is my previous employer and a Representative from where I done the Fetac course. Would that be ok? As it has been a long time since I have been in school.

Suggest you ask the principal/director of the place you did your FETAC, your class tutor, or indeed any of your tutors who can vouch for you. Two tutors would suffice. I'm doing an Access course and was instructed by our Educational Guidance Counsellor/Tutor to use her and the course coordinator/facilitator, also one of out lecturers, as our referees, only last evening!

I say those would be fine. I am in a similar boat at the moment myself.
    Furthermore, is it ok just to provide a name and contact phone number?
    Or do they require an actual written reference?

If you're applying online, there's noplace to attach a written reference, nor, I believe is there a call for one in the application in the Handbook, so it's reasonable to assume they don't want *you* to provide it, obvious reasons aside. They'll make contact with your referees directly and get what they want straight from them.

It might be advisable, however, to ask your referees if it's ok to use them, or if all that's hunky dory, just let them knw that the CAO will be making contact..

Good luck to you both on your third level travels, wherever they may take you! ☺😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hildred wrote: »
    Suggest you ask the principal/director of the place you did your FETAC, your class tutor, or indeed any of your tutors who can vouch for you. Two tutors would suffice. I'm doing an Access course and was instructed by our Educational Guidance Counsellor/Tutor to use her and the course coordinator/facilitator, also one of out lecturers, as our referees, only last evening!

If you're applying online, there's noplace to attach a written reference, nor, I believe is there a call for one in the application in the Handbook, so it's reasonable to assume they don't want *you* to provide it, obvious reasons aside. They'll make contact with your referees directly and get what they want straight from them.

It might be advisable, however, to ask your referees if it's ok to use them, or if all that's hunky dory, just let them knw that the CAO will be making contact..

Good luck to you both on your third level travels, wherever they may take you! ☺😉

Interesting. Didn't think of them. Does anyone know if this section of the form is editable?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

hdowney wrote: »
    Interesting. Didn't think of them. Does anyone know if this section of the form is editable?

Yes, the Referee section of the form is editable. I have temporarily changed one of my referees without any trouble. It's under the Modify Qualification & Assessment Details section of your application. G'luck! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I reckon you should send in hard copies with all your other supporting documents. CAO will send a scan of this to the colleges you apply to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I changed one of my referees to the Adult Education person in my UNI for the Access Course. I am only applying there for direct entry on the back of the Access so hopefully there shouldn't be problems

Advertisement