Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing an existing wired alarm and replacing with wireless

Options
  • 05-01-2015 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering whether the above was possible and how much the likely cost would be.

The alarm panel I have is an Aritech CS250. Before anyone suggests just replacing the panel I generally distrust the alarm system moreso because of the wiring. The house was supposed to be pre-wired when built 10 years ago but they "forgot". As a result I have a spider web of wires across the joists my attic which discourages anyone from moving across it and being able to put down flooring. The sounder and main battery ended up above my hotpress. So when the alarm goes off its right outside the bedroom.

I'm planning on getting some work done in the next few months which would probably allow the tidying of the holes by the windows.

The alarm has always gone off randomly by itself. And it most cases it was a faulty sensor on the back window and everything calibrated far too sensitively. But even after this was serviced by a difference company we still have the same issues.

To be removed would be
    - 7 windows sensors
    - 1 PIR
    - 1 front door sensor (other side not on door anymore as got new door last year)
    - one rear door sensor

I have a medium sized dog that hates strangers and will bark at anyone who goes near the door or enters the house. That said I'm still toying with possibly getting a new wireless system. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

IMHO wired is better. I do understand what you are saying though.

You could mix them, wireless is more expensive and unless there are much smaller systems now, the units on the windows are bigger too.

Is there any elements of the cabled system that you could keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

peteb2 wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering whether the above was possible and how much the likely cost would be.

The alarm panel I have is an Aritech CS250. Before anyone suggests just replacing the panel I generally distrust the alarm system moreso because of the wiring. The house was supposed to be pre-wired when built 10 years ago but they "forgot". As a result I have a spider web of wires across the joists my attic which discourages anyone from moving across it and being able to put down flooring. The sounder and main battery ended up above my hotpress. So when the alarm goes off its right outside the bedroom.

I'm planning on getting some work done in the next few months which would probably allow the tidying of the holes by the windows.

The alarm has always gone off randomly by itself. And it most cases it was a faulty sensor on the back window and everything calibrated far too sensitively. But even after this was serviced by a difference company we still have the same issues.

To be removed would be
    - 7 windows sensors
    - 1 PIR
    - 1 front door sensor (other side not on door anymore as got new door last year)
    - one rear door sensor

I have a medium sized dog that hates strangers and will bark at anyone who goes near the door or enters the house. That said I'm still toying with possibly getting a new wireless system. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks for reading.

If you feel there is cabling causing the issues then a hybrid system can be used to utilize the cabling that is working and install wire free on the damaged areas. Your system is a hybrid system but is now obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It's not just that. The spiderweb of cables across my attic doesnt really help my attitude towards it. i would just like a clean set up.

You'll have to explain the hybrid system thing to me. I'm tech minded, just not alarm minded!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

peteb2 wrote: »
    It's not just that. The spiderweb of cables across my attic doesnt really help my attitude towards it. i would just like a clean set up.

You'll have to explain the hybrid system thing to me. I'm tech minded, just not alarm minded!

I can understand that. Notches in the rafters should allow you install a wooded floor.
    A hybrid system uses wired devices where cabling is available and can also use wire free devices for where no cabling has being installed. Best of both worlds really :)

Advertisement