Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finger foods for 9 month old

Options
  • 05-01-2015 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have quite a fussy little 9 month old. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some handy or easy to prepare finger foods for her lunch. I've been very slow to introduce finger food as she has been quite slow to start eating. And I'm scared of her choking! She has 4 bottom teeth. She eats weetbix in the morning and likes her night time dinners. Just clueless about lunches as she won't eat any the things my son would eat. She doesn't like bananas Apple etc or really any fruit. She doesn't and won't take different yoghurts. I started to give her a little bit of toast the last few days and she seems to love sucking the butter off. Takes her ages to eat the smallest bit. But she seems to like it. If be grateful for any ideas :). Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Cheese, ham, chicken etc.. cut into slices.
    Bread, bread sticks.
    Porridge (made thick, cooled, cut into slices)
    Olives, raisins, avocado
    Cooked carrot sticks
    Oven cooked butternut squash/ potato or sweet potato wedges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

How about cooked pasta? I use fusilli as it is a good one for small hands to grip.

Cheese. Chedder or mozzarella ball sliced into fingers.

Have you been giving her fruit mashed or in fingers? She might start liking it more as she learns to feed herself. Soft pear, melon and blueberries were always a big hit here.

Scrambled eggs can be cooked so its easy to cut into fingers. Maybe someone else can advise of a good method. Same with porridge (more oats, less milk/water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks very much! Can I double check cheese is ok for a 9 month old? She won't take scrambled eggs :(. And Ive read that raisins and olives are a choking hazard for this age no? I'm just petrified of giving something wrong. I will try all the other things. Thanks. Have some fusilli here now so going to try her with this. Thanks for the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any veg cut into stick/finger shaped so they're easy to grip and cooked nice & soft for her to suck on.
    Cheddar cheese is fine.
    Rice crackers - dissolve nicely when sucked on
    Banana & avocado mashed together and spread on rice crackers (or either on their own too)
    Peanut butter spread on rice crackers or on sliced apple or toast
    I used to make little potatoe cakes/balls with any left-overs - mash, veg, fish. Handy for eating out & about.

I skipped puree/spoon feeds with my 2nd and not sure if it's a coincidence or not be now at 2+ he's way less fussy than the older one so i really recommend persevering with finger foods at this stage. My oldest was much slower to move to finger foods and honestly now at 5yr, he'd still have his dinner pureed if i'd give it to him, he breaks my heart. Keep offering things even things she refuses, at this age she could still develope a taste for things that she hasn't liked up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much! Can I double check cheese is ok for a 9 month old? She won't take scrambled eggs :(. And Ive read that raisins and olives are a choking hazard for this age no? I'm just petrified of giving something wrong. I will try all the other things. Thanks. Have some fusilli here now so going to try her with this. Thanks for the idea :)

We've being having cheese since 6 months and raisins since she could pick them up: about 7 months.

If your nervous rusks are a good place to start because they dissolve (plus they are lovely and iron fortified). They are full of sugar so a treat rather than a staple.

For lunches: Boiled eggs cut into slices are a big hit but scrambled egg isn't touched. Or egg muffins: throw whatever you want ham/cheese/onion etc into a muffin tray pour eggs on top and bake at 180 in oven.

Pizza toast.

Get the ready made filo pastry sheets and make a tomato sauce top with cheese peppers chicken again whatever you want.

Toasted cheese sandwiches

Finger food can be nerve wracking but honestly it's great. And you can eat your own food hot ;)

Also I think I need to stop giving so much cheese reading that!

• Advertisement

Ooooh i just remembered Pancakes was another good one in our house! You can make the usual - egg, milk, flour pancakes (with extras such as blueberries or grated apple). But i also make ones which the whole family love - 2 eggs + 1 banana mashed and beaten together. Yum and so so healthy. You could add a couple of drops of Vanilla or a tsp of Cinnamon if you want to jazz them up. Eggs are nature's multi-vitamin so do try to get them into the diet if you can. Best of luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gosh my lady would crawl through fire for cheese and olives at this stage. Cheese all the way. Olives I chop in half.

We got the cracker called "carrs melt's" over christmas, and they are very soft, break up easily. She likes them (although only 1 or so, they are probably a bit salty).

Orange segments, I break the pith on them, as her teeth are very slow emerging, she mostly sucks them.
    Banana slices, apple slices, pear slices.

Toast, in fingers.
    Sandwiches of any kind, in fingers
    Rice cakes
    Peas! I run boiling water over frozen peas and stick a bunch of them on her tray. She chases them around. :)

Eggs, I break up an egg slightly in a cereal bowl and zap in the microwave for 1 minute. It cooks like a saucer-shaped mini-omelette. Slice it up. (Make sure you have checked her with a small bit of egg in case of allergies before going full whack on a whole egg)

Guys thank you so much! I really am grateful for all these ideas. They sound fab and very easy to prepare! Tried her with the fusilli today as she really liked it. I just put a hit of butter on it. My son kept running over taking bits off her aswell! The amount of times I tried to give him fusilli and all he ever did was throw it on the floor! Now that he's seen L eat it he loves it apparently! Go figure.

Thanks again so much. There is loads of great ideas to offer her so it will keep us busy and entertained for a while :) x

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Guys thank you so much! I really am grateful for all these ideas. They sound fab and very easy to prepare! Tried her with the fusilli today as she really liked it. I just put a hit of butter on it. My son kept running over taking bits off her aswell! The amount of times I tried to give him fusilli and all he ever did was throw it on the floor! Now that he's seen L eat it he loves it apparently! Go figure.

Thanks again so much. There is loads of great ideas to offer her so it will keep us busy and entertained for a while :) x

That's great Sligo1, glad you had success with a new food. And do keeping trying things even those she has refused in the past, she might surprise you ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    That's great Sligo1, glad you had success with a new food. And do keeping trying things even those she has refused in the past, she might surprise you ;)

Will do definitely. Actually going to copy and paste this thread to notes on my phone so I have it handy when needed :) x

• Advertisement

Thought of another hit for lunch/snack with mine at that age - bread sticks dipped into guacamole or hummous. Also you could add a little pesto to toast/crackers to the pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ariana` wrote: »
    Also you could add a little pesto to toast/crackers to the pasta.

I'm so paranoid about weaning after our experience, nothing like watching your child's face swell up to freak you out for life! Watch the pesto, it usually has cashew and sometimes peanuts in it. Our eldest's nut allergy showed up when I gave her pesto. Small bit first, just in case.

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm so paranoid about weaning after our experience, nothing like watching your child's face swell up to freak you out for life! Watch the pesto, it usually has cashew and sometimes peanuts in it. Our eldest's nut allergy showed up when I gave her pesto. Small bit first, just in case.

I make it myself and do put in pine/cashew nuts if i have them in the house. But i should have said to rule out nut allergies in advance of course. My nephew has a (tree) nut allergy so i would have been conscious of ruling it out with my own kiddies from once weaning began @ 6mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My guy totally gone off fruit and eggs. (tried scrambled and boiled recently again)
    Nut will still eat mashed fruit.
    He loves bread or toast , roast potatoes (learned this on xmas day) fusilli, cheese, pancakes , scones, brocolli anything really.
    he had his first raising yesterday when 2.5yr old dropped it (she then screamed the house down)
    For treats, bread sticks, liga, rice cakes, and those biscotti biscuits (i started with those as they are so soft and L did have a terrible gag reflex for so long) he used to put when we moved to mashed rather than puree, really only in the past month he has started accepting normal food and finger food rather than puree .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My guy totally gone off fruit and eggs. (tried scrambled and boiled recently again)
    Nut will still eat mashed fruit.
    He loves bread or toast , roast potatoes (learned this on xmas day) fusilli, cheese, pancakes , scones, brocolli anything really.
    he had his first raising yesterday when 2.5yr old dropped it (she then screamed the house down)
    For treats, bread sticks, liga, rice cakes, and those biscotti biscuits (i started with those as they are so soft and L did have a terrible gag reflex for so long) he used to put when we moved to mashed rather than puree, really only in the past month he has started accepting normal food and finger food rather than puree .

Advertisement