Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband only which modem do they supply?

• 05-01-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of going broadband only. What modem is it they give you for this?, is it the white Thompson?.
    I had this with tv/phone before upgrading to horizon and the horizon wifi has been very poor for a while. Never been broadband only but i usually only use xbmc for tv needs so i think i can do without the tv but want to know what modem they give.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh whichever modem they give you i always found the WIFI to be abysmal on them. So ive always put my own access point on the modem and knocked off their WIFI using it only as a router throughput.

Investing in a decent Wireless access point or router will save many headaches over the OEM equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A horrid little Thomson/Technicolor thing usually. If you bitch and moan enough you *might* get a Cisco but the wifi is still poor on them. Think both of them can be bridged with a bit of brute force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh whichever modem they give you i always found the WIFI to be abysmal on them. So ive always put my own access point on the modem and knocked off their WIFI using it only as a router throughput.

Investing in a decent Wireless access point or router will save many headaches over the OEM equipment.

Cheers which one are you using and where did you buy?. Looking for recommendations that are compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rightman

L1011 wrote: »
    A horrid little Thomson/Technicolor thing usually. If you bitch and moan enough you *might* get a Cisco but the wifi is still poor on them. Think both of them can be bridged with a bit of brute force.

Hi,
    I use the Cisco one in a bridge mode and never had a single problem. I had good few routers plugged in - TP-Link running DD-WRT at the moment. I highly recommend going this way if you like using (bandwith) what you pay for..

It is the "bloody" Technicolor that became a legendary f**k-up - google for "Technicolor upc bridge mode" - it is nearly a Europe wide problem. Main problem is its very low performance on wireless side of things. There is some telnet involved in order to get bridging stable.

I think Thomson is not any better, although I haven't had a chance to put my hands on one to tell ;]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

califano wrote: »
    Cheers which one are you using and where did you buy?. Looking for recommendations that are compatible.

I have a Belkin, not that id recommend it specifically as it has its own foibles,

The TP Link are supposed to be fairly solid. Look for one with capable speeds and Wireless N minimum (obviously )

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I have a Belkin, not that id recommend it specifically as it has its own foibles,

The TP Link are supposed to be fairly solid. Look for one with capable speeds and Wireless N minimum (obviously )

Thanks, im just going to dip my top and buy the Belkin N600 Dualband Wireless Cable Router. I dont need earth shattering stuff just decent reliable enough wireless and read a good review here.

Currently the horizon wifi only works in the same room as the unit and wireless is about 7mb down 0.3 up. When im on 120mb wired(which speed tests exactly right wired). Just need it for the mobile devices so will disable the wifi on the horizon like you say and just use the horizon Lan ports.
    Im picking it up later today and ill report back this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Asus RT [n|ac]66u in use here in work, two of them being absolutely pummeled in terms of load and not flinching. You'd need the ac model if you want higher speeds.

I know what you mean, ac is the future it seems. Anyway the belkin is in and running grand. Just tested it and generally wireless speed testing 40up20down in the room its in and 30up20down in adjoining rooms and upstairs.
    Which is pretty much what it was doing initially on upc provided routers before horizon box wifi went downhill. Shouldnt have to be paying for them ourselves but we really are braining the US and Canada for internet speeds and allowances.
    Theres a function for access point only which ive chosen but seems you cant get back into the router page if after you select this, even if you wire your pc to the router.

Advertisement