Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling advice

Options
  • 05-01-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All!! In less than two years time a friend and I are going inter railing for a month in Europe then going to Dubai skydiving then to Thailand then off to Australia. If anyone has any advice about anything it would be much appreciated, from where to go to what to pack to what activities to do. Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

That's pretty far off but I guess it gives you something to look forward to.

I haven't done inter railing or visited Asia yet but have been around a lot of main cities in Europe alone and with friends. I would recommend staying in dorm rooms in small and highly rated hostels (use Hostelworld for this to get ratings and reviews). This way you keep costs down and are guaranteed to meet other like minded folks and have a lot of craic! The really big chain hostels, while comfortable and fine, tend to be a bit more impersonal and hotel like. You might find cheaper hostels per night but if it's a case of a couple of extra euro a night, it's well worth it imo. There's a reason these hostels get the high ratings, they'll often give free breakfast and dinner (or very cheap), have social themed evenings every night and take you out on free pub crawls as well as have excursions and activities during the day. You'll come back from it with loads of new friends and great memories.

As for where to go, from the places I've been, I'd recommend Lisbon, Barcelona, Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Krakow. If you're going to lean towards one side of Europe, I'd go Eastern myself. It's quite a bit different and also dirt cheap compared to the west. If you need any hostel recommendations I'd be happy to share.

Advertisement