Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of curse words

Options
  • 05-01-2015 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry but i'm not ready to sit back and let this go on. I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum but if so please move it.

I would like to report an issue on the aviation forum relating to cursing. I am a christian and my morals are that I don't curse often, well I am offended because of the use of constant curse words on that forum. I raised the issue there now and I was backed up with another poster, on this forum the use of curse words seems to be ignored, I post on Airliners.net and cursing would not be tolerated there at all. The moderators just laughed it off and gave me an eating for 'taking the thread off topic'.. this moderator is constantly at me about 'taking the thread off topic' when actually its more like he has a dislike and a problem with me or something. Its beginning to get on my nerves.

I don't want anything serious done, I would just like to lodge a complaint about the cursing on that forum. I don't feel like I should have to be given access to a forum with constant profanities.

here is the thread where I mentioned the profanities. As for taking the thread off topic, yes I did feel like I had to mention that as I was offended. Maybe if they had dealt with it and moved on this issue wouldn't have been brought forward.

I personally feel like I have been bullied by members of that forum. I go on another public aviation forum and members from this boards.ie aviation forum constantly attack me and send me private messages to that forum. I have a feeling it is do with me being from NI. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they ban me, that moderator has an agenda and is on a power trip and I think putting someone on a ban for going off topic is extremely petty.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057355085&page=2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are or are you not disputing the ban?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Here is an example of one of the messages posted to me on another forum.

Why do you do
    This like? First boards.ie and now airliners?

Spear wrote: »
    Are or are you not disputing the ban?

Yes I am disputing the ban and I also wanted to lodge a complaint about the cursing on that forum.

I want to put my foot down, this is not acceptable. Seriously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you wish to raise a complaint do so in the Helpdesk, this forum is for disputing bans and infractions only.

Well I want to dispute the ban aswell but where do I go to report the cursing is it just in the help desk itself?

• Advertisement

The main reason why I want to dispute the ban is because I think it is a petty reason and most of the time it is not my fault and anyway even if it is off topic I am actually talking about aviation. Its not like I am going around attacking people saying 'i'm going beat you up' or something. I try and post on those threads and some of the members there don't like me and actually start attacking me.

Often there will be a thread and I will comment on it and then some of the other members will say something off topic and I will reply and the a whole stream of things will happen and then its all my fault. Just recently I asked a question on the gradient of a plane in the thread titled 'ask pilots' or something and a member there said 'I will resist the temptation'. What temptation? That was a bit of a dig there.

Another member called 'eatmyshorts' started giving me digs about my local airport and then insulted me saying I was in my dads you know what when he was flying around there. They use the thank function there a lot which to me is also silent bullying. Another poster would be preset no.3 who randomly starts attacking me in the middle of a thread about how i'm off topic. There are many other instances that I can think of but right now its quite hard to find any as they have banned my access totally.

I've lodged my complaint. What happens now.

I want an appeal done.

Still WAITING.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ok Owen,

I'll look into the ban for you. Just a few things

1. Please confirm you've tried to resolve the ban with the mod?
    2. Please forward all supporting PM's on same.
    3. Drop the attitude, we are volunteers here and like everyone else have lives and jobs away from the forums and DRF. A bit of civility and patience goes a long way in terms of building bridges here.

Looking forwards to confirmation of 1 and a copy of the PM's.

Taltos

Taltos wrote: »
    Ok Owen,

I'll look into the ban for you. Just a few things

1. Please confirm you've tried to resolve the ban with the mod?
    2. Please forward all supporting PM's on same.
    3. Drop the attitude, we are volunteers here and like everyone else have lives and jobs away from the forums and DRF. A bit of civility and patience goes a long way in terms of building bridges here.

Looking forwards to confirmation of 1 and a copy of the PM's.

Taltos

Hey I wasn't aware that it was people's free time sorry. I thought people were messing me about.

Unfortunately I didn't message him to discuss it. He has an agenda against me and is power crazy and couldn't wait to ban me.

There was no point in discussing it with him anyway because i'd be given the same nonsense about "going off topic". Yah right.

As if that is really a true justification for banning someone from a discussion forum. The reason why the ban occured was because I brought up the idea of cursing and he didn't like it and inserted bold black writing.

I would be wasting my time messaging him. Also alot of people have a mega hatred against me on there, not really sure why exactly.

• Advertisement

Um no the words weren't censored. The person spelt the word in a way that it wouldn't have been censored.

You shouldn't be cursing in an everyday conversation on an online discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Owen

DRF has a very clear process, posters are expected to follow them and the first step is to contact the mod to discuss the ban. Please do so (I suggest with an open mind) and if you still can't resolve it we'll proceed with this here.

FYI, "bold writing" is often used by mods (not always) to make it crystal clear they are posting as mods and not posters, basically a visual queue to be careful, it is never intended to be used to bully or intimidate.

Anyway chat with the mod and let me know if we need to continue the DRF.

I'm not really sure if I feel comfortable messaging that moderator

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Okay, enough.

So far, you have accumulated nine warnings, thirteen infractions, twenty forum bans and a siteban. The fact that you refuse to follow the procedure as set out here indicates to me a pattern of refusal on your part to conform to the norms of this community.

In other words: it's not us, it's you. The ban is upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement