Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling along the Royal Canal

Options
  • 05-01-2015 4:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I had a spin along the canal yesterday from cambells bridge(finglas) to about as far as carpenterstown before the daylight gave out and i had to turn back.

I was following signs for the Royal Canal Way which seemed to run out around the Castleknock area and the path became quiet narrow and rocky.

Is there a better route to travel,say as far as Leixlip(for starters) as my memory of the canals involved the towpath being on the opposite side to where the trail is now?

Any information at all would be appreciated as it's something i'd really like to do and i'm quite a novice at cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

chopper6 wrote: »
    I had a spin along the canal yesterday from cambells bridge(finglas) to about as far as carpenterstown before the daylight gave out and i had to turn back.

I was following signs for the Royal Canal Way which seemed to run out around the Castleknock area and the path became quiet narrow and rocky.

Is there a better route to travel,say as far as Leixlip(for starters) as my memory of the canals involved the towpath being on the opposite side to where the trail is now?

Any information at all would be appreciated as it's something i'd really like to do and i'm quite a novice at cycling.

Theres a few threads here on the canals. I live half way between castleknock and porters town bridge - the worst part, it is narrow And slippy (tree roots). Plans are afoot to improve it. It is cyclable but dangerous in places, especially at coolmine station.

You could come off At castleknock, cycle the local roads and rejoin at porterstown - it's a mix of compacted gravel and grass towpath out to maynooth and beyond. Furthest I've gone is Enfield, but others have gone further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It is cyclable but dangerous in places, especially at coolmine station.

You could come off At castleknock, cycle the local roads and rejoin at porterstown - it's a mix of compacted gravel and grass towpath out to maynooth and beyond. Furthest I've gone is Enfield, but others have gone further.

Yep..that stretch to carpenterstown is a bit hairy..the towpath is rock,roots and mud and there's a fairly steep drop on one side..does it improve further along? i want to avoid using roads if i'm gonna do it properly :)

Yep..that stretch to carpenterstown is a bit hairy..the towpath is rock,roots and mud and there's a fairly steep drop on one side..does it improve further along? i want to avoid using roads if i'm gonna do it properly :)

If you can sweat it out to coolmine station you're over the worst - so probably about 750m of cruddy surface after castleknock station when you hit it. The path from coolmine to porterstown is a bit better - still a few tree roots and muddy. There's a road bridge that over sails the canal at porterstown - when you've teached that you're over the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

hi
    i commute from Leixlip to city centre end May to end Sept or Oct depending on weather conditions.
    i have a hybrid with front suspension which i engage for that tricky bit otherwise u could leave it locked off . its a great cycle and less stress than dealing with the traffic etc, only thing is the odd dog walker or fisherfolk with their poles across the path and some barriers to negotiate, only occ. need to stop. get a bell for the bike to warn walkers etc i come off at Dorset st then down Gardiner st to the quays.
    in winter its too mucky and dark but doable at weekends when bright. the route is paved from the twelfth lock( Ck) to town and very good surface,compacted sand/gravel from Confey to mid way to kilcock,
    enjoy

It really is a lovely spin,the hairy bits notwithstanding.

I'm gonna have another go on Sunday and see how far I can get.

I wonder is it possible to cycle the whole length of the canal? Maybe bring a puptent and eat in pubs along the way.

• Advertisement

If you can sweat it out to coolmine station you're over the worst - so probably about 750m of cruddy surface after castleknock station when you hit it. The path from coolmine to porterstown is a bit better - still a few tree roots and muddy. There's a road bridge that over sails the canal at porterstown - when you've teached that you're over the worst.

Here's a pic of the stretch known as Deep Sinking..the towpath is sharp rocks with a coating of mud and a fair drop to the canal.
    A strange-feeling sort of place too.

335010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

@chopper6 I remember you being quite anti-cyclist throughout a thread a while back, glad to see you've decided to give it a try & hope you're enjoying it

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    @chopper6 I remember you being quite anti-cyclist throughout a thread a while back, glad to see you've decided to give it a try & hope you're enjoying it

Really i was anti-a certain type of cyclist..but that's irrelevant now.

Yep i have my MTB for trails etc and a hybrid that i use for spins on the road..including work commuting.

I hadnt cycled for over 20 years and started again in September..the canal intruiges me though and i intend to cycle the length of it,probably might have to wait til the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Really i was anti-a certain type of cyclist..but that's irrelevant now.

Yep i have my MTB for trails etc and a hybrid that i use for spins on the road..including work commuting.

I hadnt cycled for over 20 years and started again in September..the canal intruiges me though and i intend to cycle the length of it,probably might have to wait til the weather improves.

Ah yeah, water under the bridge. We're all anti-that type of cyclist,it's infuriating.

The royal canal looks a good route to tackle, I'm hoping to build up to some long spins this year myself. Doing the Western Greenway in the Spring and I was thinking of doing the Wicklow 200, though it'll require a bit of training!

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, water under the bridge. We're all anti-that type of cyclist,it's infuriating.

The royal canal looks a good route to tackle, I'm hoping to build up to some long spins this year myself. Doing the Western Greenway in the Spring and I was thinking of doing the Wicklow 200, though it'll require a bit of training!

I hear there's some good trails in pheonix park too..anybody got any infO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I am training cyclocross in Phoeno sometimes, you can technically ride off-road all around the park (~11km). Very nice singletrack here and there in the middle too:

http://app.strava.com/activities/224898506
    http://app.strava.com/activities/187415779

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Here's a pic of the stretch known as Deep Sinking..the towpath is sharp rocks with a coating of mud and a fair drop to the canal.
    A strange-feeling sort of place too.

I've ridden it a few times on my touring bike. It's fun in a 'OH SH*T' kind of way if you're riding a bit faster.

Re: That strange feeling, as far as I know it's called deep sinking as it's both one of the deepest sections of the canal, and one of the barges that was transporting people and livestock hit a jagged rock on their way to Galway when the canal was in service. I think a few people and the livestock died, and the animal towing the boat was dragged into the water with the sinking barge.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure the original plans for the canal never intended on cutting through the spot of land Deep Sinking is located on. The guy who built the canal (Who as far as I can remember was a pretty horrible person) realised he wouldn't be able to see the canal from his property, so diverted the building to accommodate his wishes...

Edit Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEEz7BgBuQs

The bridge where the barge capsized is the next one along - porterstown, there's a plaque there commemorating it. I think 16 people drowned - the number is on the plaque.

Is it definitely not Deep Sinking where the barge went down? For some reason it was always stuck in my head as the canal ran deeper there as well as having limited accessibility, so it took quite a long time to find bodies and clear the barge.

OldBean wrote: »
    Is it definitely not Deep Sinking where the barge went down? For some reason it was always stuck in my head as the canal ran deeper there as well as having limited accessibility, so it took quite a long time to find bodies and clear the barge.

I think it's called the Deep Cut as well - due to the amount of limestone that had to be taken out, making the canal bank steep on both sides like it is.

Tragedy occurred in 1845 - this thread discussed it (might of been where I found about it as I live nearby and have a bit of a nerdy facination with canals / railways)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056901793/1/#post83699595

I think it's called the Deep Cut as well - due to the amount of limestone that had to be taken out, making the canal bank steep on both sides like it is.

Tragedy occurred in 1845 - this thread discussed it (might of been where I found about it as I live nearby and have a bit of a nerdy facination with canals / railways)

I guess the creepy feeling I experienced was well founded...16 people drowned..horrible.

I also have a nerdy fascination with canals..I've been fishing the royal for over 30 years and have a collection of artifacts that I found in mud after dredging.

With regards to cycling I now have the bug to see how far I can travel along the canal although a proper shot at it will probably have to wait for drier weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Chopper6,

Plenty of info on cycling the Royal & Grand canals on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88717124

The last 7/8 pages kinda go a wee bit off topic as they discuss canal cycle path surfaces rather than the actual cycle but plenty of info on the 1st 15 pages or so.

Oh as do I! Pitched on jobs involving the Irish canal, uk canals, Amsterdam and Austrian canals over the last 12 months purely out of an interest in them. La
    Fed the jobs near each one, just not involving the canals :pac:

Hoping to hit up some of the C&O canal when I head to the states on spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

First canal spin of 2015 yesterday.

I left Grand Canal Harbour late (0930) due to taking a header down the stairs into our basement before leaving......damn cycling shoes!! I headed for Hazlehatch into the teeth of a Westerly gale. The spin to the 12th lock was mind numbingly boring as usual, though I have never seen so many swans on the canal. The towpath hedgerows and trees were festooned with litter form the overflowing bins which don't seem to have been emptied for weeks. Sections of the towpath are officially closed due to works on the services below the path. However there is no problem bypassing the barriers as everyone is doing.
    From the 12th to Hazlehatch via Gollierstown was as wonderful as ever though parts of the towpath are muddy and messy but its easily passable on a mountain bike. The approach to Hazlehatch is probably the worst.
    I was knackered from battling the wind and so didn't carry on to the Lyons Estate as usual, but instead cut across form Hazlehatch to Maynooth via Celbridge and got onto the Royal there. The spin from Maynooth to Leixlip was lovely with the Pike Harbour works now complete.Leixlip to the start of the Deep Sinking was also very nice. The first section of the Deep Sinking was fine but the second and third sections were very slippery and the roots seemed to be worse but it is passable with care. I had to moderate my speed in deference to walkers and had one minor fall due to lack of momentum. Beware the drains (I think) that have eroded 3 or 4 sections of the path in the last section as the breaches in the path have got quite a bit bigger and you have to ride up on the ditch to get by. From the 12th lock to Phibsborough is unchanged though the Ratoath Road bridge works mean the road is closed and you can cycle straight across and back onto the towpath.

All in all an enjoyable, if slow spin (it took four hours!) with a lot more cyclists evident on the canals which cant be bad.

Just read this thread fully and the tragedy in the Deep Sinking area has been well covered except for one well known 'fact'.

The rock encountered when building the canal pretty much did for the Royal Canal Company that eventually went bust. In order to minimise the cost The Deep Sinking cutting was limited to the width of a barge and this meant that barges could not pass each other it they met in the Deep Sinking. As a consequence barges carried a trumpet which was blown before entering the narrow stretchand if no reply was received it was safe to enter the Deep Sinking. The eerie atmosphere of this stretch of the canal is no doubt related to the terrible tragedy that took place in the area and at times the ghostly sound of trumpets can be heard.................................etc etc...............enjoy your next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tracks and Trails, the show on RTE, was about the Royal Canal tonight. It looked absolutely stunning, it's on the player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

After reading this thread this morning thought I would take the baby for a walk between Clonsilla and Porterstown, I could swear I heard trumpets! Took a couple of pics of the plaque and presumably the location of the tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

mattb74 wrote: »
    After reading this thread this morning thought I would take the baby for a walk between Clonsilla and Porterstown, I could swear I heard trumpets! Took a couple of pics of the plaque and presumably the location of the tragedy.

Is that the bridge on Porterstown Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

poochiem wrote: »
    Is that the bridge on Porterstown Road?

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

mattb74 wrote: »
    Yes it is
    Grand, that's where I started from when went to Mullingar but I didn't notice the sign. Going to go to maynooth with a gang for a spin on the canal and a few beers then the train back this weekend so will keep an eye out for the plaque.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Planning a spin from Dublin to Maynooth along the Royal tomorrow morning, anyone know what condition it's in?

I do the Maynooth to Dublin spin regularly. It is a beautiful run and apart from the Deep Sinking section the surface is very good, a mixture of metaled and grass paths. two short section of the Deepsinking are rough because of tree roots but its perfectly passable. I use a hardtail MTB but most of the route could be done on a hybrid or even a road bike. Enjoy your spin, supposed to be a nice weekend, I hope to travel from Clondara to Kilucan.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice one , thanks. I'll take the cx bike - did it a couple of months back but just not sure what the surface will be like after the recent rain. Will be good training anyway I guess :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The section to Maynooth holds up well after rain, you'll enjoy it on a cx bike. The Grand Canal gets much wetter where it's not surfaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it not all grass west of the Dunboyne rail line?

Advertisement