Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

buying an unfinished house. costs of finishing. rough guide

• 05-01-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

We are considering buying an unfinished house. I have previously posted about this house regarding if planning permission would be needed to finish this house and we are happy to have the go ahead to finish should we purchase. So this post is regarding cost of finishing such a house ( Please bare in mind I have absolutely zero knowledge of construction/diy etc and am seeking info as a complete novice )

We had brought someone on board to do some costings but at the min cant reach him as he he not yet back working after the Christmas. This has put us in a panic as there are others also interested in the house. We would offer the seller the asking price providing we knew more or less we could finish the house within our budget.

The house is a 4 bed dormer.
    Needs:
    septic tank
    2nd fix plumbing
    heating
    1st and 2nd fix wiring
    roof and wall insulation
    internal plastering and finishes
    stairs and internal joinery
    external paths, landscaping

and I'm sure there are plenty I'm leaving out. Basically a shell internally.

Are we being totally unrealistic in a budget of 60k-70k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chikatee

Also the person we asked for pricing is obviously a contractor. Price wise would there be a big difference going direct labour and managing the project ourselves. I am aware that every case is different. Just looking for general guidance. Scary world this first time buyers craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

chikatee wrote: »
    Also the person we asked for pricing is obviously a contractor. Price wise would there be a big difference going direct labour and managing the project ourselves. I am aware that every case is different. Just looking for general guidance. Scary world this first time buyers craic :)

It may be no harm to seek out a professional quantity surveyor or architect who will draw up an estimate for the works. Get a fee from them first. They may also offer a service where they will prepare tenders for the job and then assess tenders from the various trades or from a single contractor if you prefer to do it that way.

For a fee they should be able to manager the project for you. This should ensure that the job is done right and costs are managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you have access to plans/designs etc?

You are going to need to spend cash on determining where you want switches, taps, waste, lights, sockets etc.
    That will then help on costing the job (e.g 25 double sockets costs X)

Does it have concrete floors on both levels?
    No internal walls? Again more architect work to determine room sizes, doors etc.

It has concrete floors downstairs and timber upstairs. Timber work for internal walls in place upstairs. Got the plans but they are in the possession of the contractor at the min. First plumbing is in for toilets, showers etc and walls are outlined for sockets but no wiring yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Are we being totally unrealistic in a budget of 60k-70k.

I'm towards the end of a similar venture myself and I'll be in around that price (but with direct labour). Send me a PM and we can chat in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

I'll suggest getting project manager, as there is a lot of things You are not aware of, it can cost You maybe a 1-2k more than direct labour, but at the end of day You have some one to ask for quality and responsibility. Contractors are just responsible for they own work, not whole site together.

Our contractor has come back and unfortunately it is above our budget. back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Our contractor has come back and unfortunately it is above our budget. back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the advice

How much did he quote you?
    Would it be worth getting a quote from another contractor?

92k. with a few bits excluded. Ya considering getting someone else to have a look but would need to knock off a lot and in the long run probably being unrealistic with our expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boredjim

Can you tell me is this house in rural area or large City suburb as I'm looking into taking on such a venture myself and geography has a huge bearing on costs? Early steps for me though as have only began this week, so am getting a surveyor to estimate a finishing cost before I Perdue it any further..

• Advertisement

boredjim wrote: »
    Can you tell me is this house in rural area or large City suburb as I'm looking into taking on such a venture myself and geography has a huge bearing on costs? Early steps for me though as have only began this week, so am getting a surveyor to estimate a finishing cost before I Perdue it any further..

Its in the country side

thesteve wrote: »
    I'm towards the end of a similar venture myself and I'll be in around that price (but with direct labour). Send me a PM and we can chat in more detail.

Yes thanks might pick your brain. Might mail at a later stage. Thanks

A project manager sounds like a very viable option along with the direct labour. Even if we spent 12 months or more trying to finish it we wouldn't mind as long as we'd have a nice home at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Get as high spec as possible, as You build for Your self and want to be future-proof.

Mite seem a silly question but this house matches plans on outside but layout on inside is different. Would this be a problem if house was purchased.

Advertisement