Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warehouse gym/ fitness classes in city

Options
  • 05-01-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi I'm terrible with directions and was wondering could anyone tell me how to get from eyre square to the warehouse gym? Is there a bus or is it far to walk?

Also if anyone knows where there are any good fitness classes (Zumba/yoga/ anything) I'd be grateful to know. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

the 403 goes out past the Warehouse I believe.

They run classes in there, have a world of equipment and excellent staff.

BTW, Im not affiliated with them, just been a member for a couple of years and love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

connollys wrote: »
    the 403 goes out past the Warehouse I believe.

They run classes in there, have a world of equipment and excellent staff.

BTW, Im not affiliated with them, just been a member for a couple of years and love the place.

Yup, stops at the door.

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2010/01/ballybrit-area-includes-ballybane.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm half thinking of joining something also. The warehouse Gym is top notch I've heard.
    Google maps is decent for directions and also includes buses - Direction Link A lot of people I know think this is a great place. Lots of weighs and weight machines.

Another Gym you might be interested in is Kingfisher NUI Galway - Direction Link It has classes. I was a member here - it can get busy with students.

Then there is Pure fit which has lots of classes - Direction Link
    I've been here a few times. Its a cool place. Its all classes, prepare to sweat your ass off. Its 90% girls.

Results Ireland is another - Direction Link
    No prices on their website, but I've heard its about €50 per month. They focus a lot on fast results over a period of time, doing a course.

I was told of a new gym on the Sean Mulvoy Road - Direction Link but I don't know the name of it yet.

Another GYM which I don't know much about is Peak Physique - Direction Link
    I believe its very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Sniipe and OP, i'd recommend the warehouse gym if looking for a gym in the city. I've been a member there for a year after 1 year in NRG and 4 in NUIG Kingfisher. While it doesn't have a swimming pool or a large cardio section, it makes up for it by having great equipment and i've found the staff great in there. It can be hectic between 5:00-9:00pm since everyone is finished work but the place stays open until 12 and if you're an early bird it opens at 6.

One class I would recommend in there is the olympic lifting classes. They are thought by a guy with a lot of previous lifting experience. I can't remember his name unfortunately but me and some friends went there and i've been doing the exercises he thought us and it had left me in far better shape than any of the other stuff I was doing over the years. I thought my shoulders were just going to be in bits for the rest of my life after working in IT for years and having awful posture but it's slowly getting fixed with every passing day.

Like the previous poster, I have no affiliation with the gym, I just really like the place!

Also, just read Sniipe's post and noticed peak physique was mentioned. I was a member there for 3 months between NRG and the warehouse, the place is nice and cheap but the free weights section is very small and there's quite a bad attitude at times in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice post Sniipe

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Nice post Sniipe
    Cheers Biko.

I'll edit it to add more if there are more people want to add. I'd really like to hear from someone who has gone to results ireland. It would be most ideal for me living on the headford road. IT worker who works in Dangan IDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

TheSegal wrote: »
    Also, just read Sniipe's post and noticed peak physique was mentioned. I was a member there for 3 months between NRG and the warehouse, the place is nice and cheap but the free weights section is very small and there's quite a bad attitude at times in there.

It has since doubled the size of the whole gym. Plenty of space for weights and it's said it's the biggest gym in Galway.
    Few pictures on there Facebook page if you want a look. Also there is a thread on the gym in health and fitness. Everyone is impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TheSegal wrote: »
    Sniipe and OP, i'd recommend the warehouse gym if looking for a gym in the city. I've been a member there for a year after 1 year in NRG and 4 in NUIG Kingfisher. While it doesn't have a swimming pool or a large cardio section, it makes up for it by having great equipment and i've found the staff great in there. It can be hectic between 5:00-9:00pm since everyone is finished work but the place stays open until 12 and if you're an early bird it opens at 6.

How hectic is hectic? :)
    As in is the place completely wedged in the evening time? Do you have to wait to get free weights or benches? I'm thinking of joining, and I would be planning on being there around 6-8pm during weekdays i.e. the busiest times :pac:

How hectic is hectic? :)
    As in is the place completely wedged in the evening time? Do you have to wait to get free weights or benches? I'm thinking of joining, and I would be planning on being there around 6-8pm during weekdays i.e. the busiest times :pac:

It does get quite busy but there's always a bit of space for everyone, might be hectic this month but that should die down relatively quick like most gyms around the country. They have a few power racks and lifting platforms; these are usually taken but you can get pegs and setup on the custom rack they have, not sure what to call it to be honest! Few nights i've just taken pegs, a spare bar and some plates and squatted out of peoples way. It can be annoying at times but at the end of the day i'm getting my work done and the people in there are generally smart enough to stay out of your way and not try and take plates from racks while you're in the middle of a squat, press or any other kind of lift which is a personal hatred of mine that i've encountered in countless gyms in the past.

One thing i've found with friends i've introduced to it is some of them have said it was quite intimidating going in there as there a large amount of incredibly strong, fit athletes in there moving weight I could only dream of! I found it crazy at first just seeing them out of the corner of my eye but after a few sessions I didn't even notice and i've since become friends with a quite a few guys who have helped my training a lot by pointing out flaws in my form and giving me advice. The gym also has a large amount of bumper plates so people doing overhead work commonly drop the weights on the lifting platform and it can be distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^^
    Thanks for the thorough reply :)

• Advertisement

^^^^^
    Thanks for the thorough reply :)

Haha, no problem. I take my gym time seriously, amazing stress relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mention "The Craic' (in Galway free magazine) and get 3 months for €75 instead of €140. I just saw that today and am going to try it.

In the end for me, I joined Results Ireland. One day done, so far so good - some soreness but totally normal. I'll review it more later on.

Advertisement