Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dentists in Ireland more expensive than other Similar Euro Countries

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I get all my dental work done in Spain. The dentist is Norweigan and her husband is an Ortadontist.

I got 2 fillings, a deep clean and polish and 4 X-Rays for €180 the last time I was there.

I'm in Spain regularly though so I factor in dental visits when I'm there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My partner visits a Latvian dentist who flies in regularly and works out of a Dublin surgery. Not quite Latvian prices, but cheaper than the usual Dublin prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wahesh32

MadsL wrote: »
    40+90 = 130 euro = 170 USD in 2013. Not far off, and most people have some dental cover.

Personally I'd pay the extra, my dentist here has got far superior equipment. A Drip anesthetic machine that only numbs the tooth she's working on, and a 3D X-ray machine that lets her judge exactly the length of screw for the implant I had done. She also gave me far better advice than any dentist is saw in Ireland, Irish or Polish :)

I found dental prices to be at least 150% and usually closer to 200% higher In the USA than here in Ireland if you don't have insurance. Insurance in the USA brings the costs closer to Irish prices. (I had a root canal done in the USA that was $1100 before insurance, and I paid $700 with insurance. Smiles Dental would have charged me 355eur). I'm getting the crown down here in Ireland, and was quoted 500eur at Smile Dental, but in US I remember it was over $1000 (I don't remember what the insurance would have covered, but it wasn't much).

The percentage of people in the USA with private dental coverage is just at 50% (although if you include medicare/medicaid it's closer to 60%)
    http ://www .gao .gov/products/GAO-13-754 (I can't post the link because of my low post-count)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

In my experience, Ireland is definitely more expensive than most of Europe. I've had work done in France and Spain much cheaper than I would get here,and the quality of the work isn't sub-standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This is a massive irish lie we tell ourselves that is being extended to dentists. Ive had dental work done in Poland, Hungary and up north as well as several places in Ireland and the standards of the practices themselves, knowledge of the profession, equipment and materials used made most Irish dentists look like they are still in the dark ages.

One example was a dentist in Poland recommended that I have a dark ugly filling replaced and commented that I must have had it years. He was truly shocked that It had only been done the year before.

I would agree with you, there are good dentists and bad ones in every country.

It's just when it goes wrong with anything health related it's difficult to go after them when its an a different country that isn't your native language.

Assuming a dentist is automatically good or bad because they are in a certain country is a mistake though

• Advertisement

I was in Bulgaria and developed an abscess on my tooth. Went to Dentist, he did and xray and handed me antibiotics. Charged me €10.
    Am xray on its own here is €30. Then they charge for writing a prescription.
    There was nothing substandard about the dental practice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Budapest is the way to go.
    Beautiful city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ha, I wish, landed in Newcastle sober as a judge (scouts honour), went for a shower, slipped in it, fell full whack of the toilet bowl. The two front teeth that broke clean were the cheapest!

Still lasted the weekend though, drinking peroni and sweet and sour sauce from straws.

/Bear Grylys

Bears out my hatred of showers! Dangerous places;) Commiserations of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dentists tend to charge well in Ireland for their services and expertise. The standards are high though. You wouldn't think it though with the state of some of the mouths you see out in public in Ireland.
    I was home for Christmas and the state of some people. Stained teeth jutting out at all sorts of angles. Not a care in the world. A routine examination, clean and polish every 6 months is the very least you should be doing.

Will never forget the first Irish bishop I met; his teeth are literally green..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Graces7 wrote: »
    Will never forget the first Irish bishop I met; his teeth are literally green..

What does him being a Bishop have to do with anything?

Were they literally green or just figuratively green?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dentists tend to charge well in Ireland for their services and expertise. The standards are high though. You wouldn't think it though with the state of some of the mouths you see out in public in Ireland.
    I was home for Christmas and the state of some people. Stained teeth jutting out at all sorts of angles. Not a care in the world. A routine examination, clean and polish every 6 months is the very least you should be doing.

I need a few implants, some bridge work and veneers. The reason I haven't got them is price. It'd cost well over 10k for the work here.

I'd have gotten the work done here except for the price. 10k is not something I have at all. And to be honest, I hate my teeth. I really want the work done.

When you see someone with bad teeth it might be worth your while remembering that they are probably all too aware they look horrible and would do something if it wasn't for the ridiculous prices charged here.

but feel free to judge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

One example was a dentist in Poland recommended that I have a dark ugly filling replaced and commented that I must have had it years. He was truly shocked that It had only been done the year before.

My first fillings were those kind. I was surprised because I thought it was really ugly. The next couple were the same. A few years later I went to the most expensive dentist in the town. He put in a white filling on one of my front teeth. A few days later and it turned yellow from tea/coffee. I had that yellow spot for years until another dentist removed it and replaced it with one that doesn't stain.

I've probably been to 10 dental surgeries in Ireland over the years. They're all rubbish except for the one I'm at now. He's reasonably priced for the basic stuff too. Unfortunately for the amount I need done I'm going to have to go abroad as it'll be 1/3 the price or about 9k cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

We've been going to the gentle dental clinic in Warrenpoint in NI over the last 3 years and I don't regret the 1h trip.
    Simply compare the prices from a regular filling to a crown and see by yourself.

Also, VHI always treated the claims without any issues,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Spain is much cheaper. I was quoted around 2000 for a crown in 2002 in Ireland and I paid 400 for it last year in Spain (after the temporary filling finally fell out) and I was extremely happy with the service and what they'd done; very professional service. I paid 700 quid for that, 6 fillings and a clean (I hadn't gone for a very long time because of the expense). I understand overheads are more expensive in Ireland but it seems the difference is a little bonkers.

I'll be coming here again for all my major dental work.

Advertisement