Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you retaliate if hit by a woman?

• 05-01-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a story doing the rounds over the past few days (some of you may have seen it) about a girl who pushed a guy to the ground and when he got up he punched her.

In this particular case I think he shouldn't have hit her but IMO she definately deserved a push back.

Thankfully I've never been in the situation where this has happened but I've seen men get hit in nightclubs by women, personally I'm of the opinion if you hit someone first expect one back.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Honestly? No, I wouldn't. I see it as cowardly. Akin to punching a kid. I'm not particularly strong for a man, but the fact is I'm going to cause a helluva lot more damage to the average woman than she will to me where fists etc are involved. Call me old fashioned sexist or whatever but there you have it. I certainly wouldn't go balls to the wall the way I might with a bloke who hit me. However I would restrain a woman if she got punchy and wouldn't back off. Naturally if any weapons were involved on her part then all bets are off. Though as with a man pulling a weapon I'd try to retreat first and only go full neandertal if that option was closed to me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yes. If you don't want to have someone retaliate don't do something in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No try to diffuse the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

efb wrote: »

I tried that once, now it wasn't with a woman but some drunk guy who started jawing at me for no reason and I didn't want any trouble so tried to calm him down.

He nutted me and broke my nose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

efb wrote: »
    Which is great in theory E and to be sought as a solution, but in reality situations can come up regularly enough where you simply can't diffuse the situation. Indeed IMH and IME that's a little more likely with women who have temper control issues. Because society frowns upon men who would hit a woman sometimes this can mean that most women who are aggressive have never faced any direct physical consequences for their actions in the past, so keep on pushing and pushing. A man who does this in any way regular a fashion when younger is likely to get smacked down and that can inform their current actions. Of course that's sober people, with drink on board anything is possible and diffusion is less likely.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I don't agree with violence whatsoever, have never got involved in anys fights or rows. I think the best thing to do if a women hits you is to defend yourself by grabbing their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Wibbs wrote: »
    Honestly? No, I wouldn't. I see it as cowardly. Akin to punching a kid

Bang on what I was going to say..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Yes, I've seen too many lads get glassed by women on nights out because they didn't fight back. Women, when they want to hurt someone, tend to fight extremely dirty (think glass or a heel or something) as they don't have the strength to do damage (usually) with their bare hands.

It depends on the context of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Yes, I've seen too many lads get glassed by women on nights out .
    Top of your head, how many times have you seen a lad glassed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

If a someone assaults me, I will do whatever I have to defend myself including running away and/or using violence in self-defence.

I don't buy into the whole 'women being weaker so treat them with baby gloves' attitude. They lose any respect I have once they raised their hand against another person. This goes for men and women alike.

Unfortunately, many men will happily watch as a woman assaults a man but when the man retaliates, they will be the straight over 'offering their opinion'.
    Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do if a women hits you is to defend yourself by grabbing their hands.

I've noticed if a woman is willing to hit you with her hands, she's just as likely to hit you with her knees and feet if you restrain her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

This guy would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Top of your head, how many times have you seen a lad glassed?
    I've seen two guys get seriously hurt with eye damage, about four others get glassed and women try and fail to glass someone lots of times. It doesn't take much force or velocity for a glass to do serious damage.

Ask any bouncer and they will tell you similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Unless I felt my life was under threat and there was no avenue of escape, no.

The average man has approximately twice the upper body strength of the average woman. There's no excuse for it unless you literally have no other option, and how likely is that?

If a someone assaults me, I will do whatever I have to defend myself including running away and using violence in self-defence.

I don't buy into the whole 'women being weaker so treat them with baby gloves' attitude. They lose any respect I have once they raised their hand against another person. This is for men and women alike.

Unfortunately, many men will happily watch as a woman assaults a man but when the man retaliates, they will be the straight over 'offering their opinion'.

I've noticed if a woman is willing to hit you with her hands, she's just as likely to hit you with her knees and feet if you restrain her.

You are right, but the way I look at it is that it giving them a chance to calm down. If she starts kneeing you then I would push her to the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I'm sorry but in the interest of self defense, I would hit a woman back. No way am I going to stand around while I get struck, just because they are female doesn't mean that the punches they land can't hurt.

If a woman is big enough to strike out, they can expect a rebuttal from me. Be it a block or push to a strike l.

Anyone who says they wouldn't obviously has never seen some of the women that walk around Dublin city looking to steal handbags, phones, wallets etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    You are right, but the way I look at it is that it giving them a chance to calm down. If she starts kneeing you then I would push her to the floor.

I agree with you, non-violent options should always be first and giving someone a chance to calm down tends to defuse a lot of situations. Leaving their presence tends to work best in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Echoing Wibbs' post, unless I'm in mortal danger, I wouldn't. Again, call it sexism or old fashioned or whatever. I was raised with a strong belief in that you should never raise your hands to a woman. Ever. Obviously, if she was coming at me with a knife or something, I might use some kind of force, but largely of the restraining nature.

I practice a martial art and have done for years. I know how to fight. Thankfully, I've never had to. I'm in good physical shape, so I'd fancy my chances in most situations. And as another poster mentioned, your average man has double the upper-body strength of your average woman.

I've been slapped and punched a few times by a woman, and it never hurt much. Actually, an open handed slap to the face from a woman hurts way more than a punch! The sting can be incredible.

If a woman was having a go at me and hitting at me, the most retaliation I would use would be to restrain her and stop her from hitting me. I don't think I'd have it in me to respond in kind with physical force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I would never punch but if it came to it I'd flop a women (possibly sit on her) to render any other punches or kicks in my direction ineffective. I couldn't imagine a scenario coming to that tho. A firm push away would work 999/1000...maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

There's been a story doing the rounds over the past few days (some of you may have seen it) about a girl who pushed a guy to the ground and when he got up he punched her.

In this particular case I think he shouldn't have hit her but IMO she definately deserved a push back.

Thankfully I've never been in the situation where this has happened but I've seen men get hit in nightclubs by women, personally I'm of the opinion if you hit someone first expect one back.

Depends on the context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Women bang on about being treated equally when it suits them and treated like delicate princesses when it doesnt

Somebody hits me they're getting a dig back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Wibbs wrote: »
    Honestly? No, I wouldn't. I see it as cowardly. Akin to punching a kid. I'm not particularly strong for a man, but the fact is I'm going to cause a helluva lot more damage to the average woman than she will to me where fists etc are involved. Call me old fashioned sexist or whatever but there you have it. I certainly wouldn't go balls to the wall the way I might with a bloke who hit me. However I would restrain a woman if she got punchy and wouldn't back off. Naturally if any weapons were involved on her part then all bets are off. Though as with a man pulling a weapon I'd try to retreat first and only go full neandertal if that option was closed to me.

So, if a women bigger and stronger than you hit you what would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Used to say Id never hit a woman but as I grew older and seen how violent they can, I dont believe in that any more. Now I reckon if you want to act like a man you get treated like a man. For every fight I see 9 out of 10 are women and jeanie mac they are vicious. Seen lads hit girls for both good and bad reasons. Hopefully this will never happen me as I am no way a violent person. But I am selfish when it comes to my own well-being. If a girl really punches me I would hit her back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A single punch or slap, no.

If coming at me, would be trying to defend self with out striking back.

If safety or even life in danger, then probably yes, she's no longer a lady/the fairer or weaker sex at that point.

nc19 wrote: »
    Women bang on about being treated equally when it suits them and treated like delicate princesses when it doesnt

In fairness any "woman" that hits another person, isn't a woman at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

She might not get a box but she'd be getting an open handed stinging schlap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If a woman hit me she would get a warning not to do it again, if she continued damn right id defend myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I've seen two guys get seriously hurt with eye damage, about four others get glassed and women try and fail to glass someone lots of times. It doesn't take much force or velocity for a glass to do serious damage.

Ask any bouncer and they will tell you similar.
    I have seen 2 lads getting glassed by women.A disgusting act .One of the lads who got glassed was actually pissing blood from a gash around his eye and the bouncers took the girls side and tried to drag him out .Bouncer wouldn't back down until the cops arrived,several people were telling him what happened and he still took the "poor girls" side.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have seen 2 lads getting glassed by women.A disgusting act .One of the lads who got glassed was actually pissing blood from a gash around his eye and the bouncers took the girls side and tried to drag him out .Bouncer wouldn't back down until the cops arrived,several people were telling him what happened and he still took the "poor girls" side.

Bouncers are brainless cretins shocka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Assuming Wibbs is a man of average size and strength, that situation is so unlikely that you might as well be asking "if a rhinoceros attacked you what would you do?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I am not a bully nor a fighter, but if a man, woman or child, was robbing my house/car/wallet or attacking one of my love ones. I would attack them without a second thought.

I understand where Wibbs and Jase heath are coming from. But not all women are a lot weaker than men. Some women can certainly pack a punch. Some are very aggressive also.

And what really annoys me is that some women think that they can hit without any retaliation. Like is Morpork's video.
    I am an average male, size and weight. But if I kicked the man in the video, who is huge(height and weight wise), in the balls, and then hit him in the face. I would expect him to smash my face in. And I would deserve it.
    Why should she get away with it??? Because she is a different gender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If someone hits you - it can be classed as assault and may be a criminal offence

Start hitting back and you may be also guilty of assault

The smart thing to do do is walk away & don't get further involved.
    Assault with intent to cause bodily harm or commit an indictable offence
    While the main area of law that deals with assault is the Non-fatal Offences against the Person Act, 1997, Section 18 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 creates a further offence of assault with intent to cause bodily harm or to commit an indictable offence. This is an aggravated assault and states-

“Any person who assaults another person with intent to cause bodily harm or to commit an indictable offence shall be guilty of an offence”.

A person convicted of this offence could face a maximum penalty of an unlimited fine and or term of imprisonment for up to five years.

Also

Affray
    Section 16 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 states-

“Where –

Two or more persons at any place (public or private) use or threaten to use violence towards each other, and
    The violence so used or threatened by one of those persons is unlawful, and
    The conduct of those persons, taken together, is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at that place to fear for his or her safety or the safety of another,
    then, each such person who uses or threatens to use unlawful violence shall be guilty of the offence of affray”.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/public_order_offenses_in_ireland.html

gozunda wrote: »
    If someone hits you - it can be classed as assault and may be a criminal offence

After someone punchs you?

This may come as a surprise, but when someone starts swinging digs, you don't get to "walk away & don't get further involved"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't know, I think I would. In the past I would have thought otherwise, but you have a mental image of an angry but otherwise girly girl n your head there. I've seen a different reality a couple of times. We're talking big mental crazy scumbag bitches. No way would I risk my personal health over some misguided chivalry when one of those came at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Assuming Wibbs is a man of average size and strength, that situation is so unlikely that you might as well be asking "if a rhinoceros attacked you what would you do?"
    So unlikely? lol...

Well then I know a few rhinos who'd be more than capable of beating the crap out of your average size lad.

Saipanne wrote: »
    After someone punchs you?

This may come as a surprise, but when someone starts swinging digs, you don't get to "walk away & don't get further involved"...

You do if you don't want to be a dick and end up with a criminal conviction.

• Advertisement

I just imagine you being punched continuously as you stroll away, whistling.

:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wouldn't hesitate, titties and vag be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a woman but if anyone hit me I think I would just walk away. Once you start hitting back things can escalate and get out of hand and even a simple smack or punch can have catastrophic consequences. Obviously I'll defend myself if someone is attacking me but a one off smack? No, its not worth it. I would to be scared to hit a man because they are generally a lot bigger and stronger than me and the one time I was in a situation where a man hit out at me I ended up in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You do have the right to defend yourself you know.

Don't be a dick, man! Just roll away as they are dancing on your head, exclaiming "I'm not taking part in this!"

• Advertisement

I just imagine you being punched continuously as you stroll away, whistling.

And I envisage you getting dragged off by the Garda as they read you your rights and then indite you under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

Causing serious harm.

4.—(1) A person who intentionally or recklessly causes serious harm to another shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both.

As I said don't be a dick - let the instigator get the rap. Nothing stupid about that.

It would depend on context of course. Plus though I'm no karate kid, I'm still going to do more damage to the vast majority of women, than they can do to me where fists are concerned* Men have evolved to be able to take more physical damage than women. Even lightly built men have higher bone density, bigger bones, faster muscles, higher lung capacity, thicker skin, heavier skulls and jaws etc(and contrary to popular higher pain thresholds). Like JaseHeath, I've had a woman punch me on two occasions. One was a sucker punch, so she time to aim when I wasn't looking, the other was an obvious comic book haymaker that took years to connect. In both incidents I may add it was a case of mistaken identity and drink was taken. In any event and again like JaseHeath I felt the punch, but not particularly hard and it had no weight at all behind it, compared to a man's punch. Size wise one of the women was slim, the other was pretty let's just say of good solid peasant stock(and right skanger). The latter was the sucker punch and she threw or attempted to throw a couple more into the mix. I grabbed her arm and mates of hers grabbed her from behind and that was that.

Interestingly the security came over and immediately went for me. Luckily I knew the owner of the place, but if I hadn't I would have been the one thrown out on my ear.

I am pretty sure if I had gone full on offence mode with either of those women I would have hurt them, maybe even seriously. It's just not an equal match IMHO. The slim one above was into some sort of martial art too I found out later and even then... and like I say I'm no karate kid. Not by a long shot. I do have a damned thick skull mind you.

But to answer your question NC yes I could see kicking off to defend myself in such a case. Particularly if she just keeps on coming.

Actually and to go back to my previous point with some aggressive women not seeing consequences due to social protection, if you check out these 'tube vids, what you notice in nearly all of them is that the women involved just won't back down. They keep on coming, even if they get an initial dig. They know that the society around her(ie other men) will jump to her defence. Like the last video where yer man punches her through a window. She's on a constant verbal wind up, escalates and kicks him, so he gives her a punch. Does she stop, nope, she keeps with the verbals and attacks him again, then he throws the second punch. And you'll note the people around are shocked at him, but no mention is made of yer one being a lippy and kicky and punchy wagon.

IMH if you ever end up in such a situation with a harpy like that, especially a drunken one, rule one, don't buy into their verbals. Walk away. Let them rant like a tantrum throwing three year old as that's how they are acting. They're telling you that they have little emotional control, that they're an overgrown child running on their feels at that moment. Zero point in trying to diffuse that, especially because in most cases a woman can escalate without facing much censure. You will always be the bad guy, even if you "win". So the best way of winning such a situation is by not getting into it in the first place.

*unless they're kicking off with a weapon and as I said in that case and I can't safely retreat all bets are off and I would go full neandertal on them.

And I envisage you getting dragged off by the Garda as they read you your rights and then indite you under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

Causing serious harm.

4.—(1) A person who intentionally or recklessly causes serious harm to another shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both.[/quote]

As I said don't be a dick - let the instigator get the rap. Nothing stupid about that.[/quote]

There is if you end up in hospital when you could have defended yourself by fighting him off.

Try trotting that out in front of a judge when asked to explain why you put some woman into A&E.

If you have the option to walk away/ are bigger or stronger than your opponent then a judge is likely to look dismissively at any 'attempt' to defend yourself and btw by this I presume to are referring to lashing out as opposed to defensive or evasive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How much of the "yeah I'd hit back" is about self defense and how much is about ego?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

In Ireland you are permitted to use force to defend yourself.

From my former life as a Guard, I have a lot of experience of women acting in a violent manner, they can be absolutely vicious.

I have had to strike a woman, who was attacking me with shoes, I've had to push women to the ground and restrain them, I have also seen women use bottles, heels and keys to inflict damage on people (male and female) that they were having a go at.

I used to think I would never hit a woman, but the fact of the matter is, they are not all little princesses to be revered. I'm now of the opinion that if any person laid a hand on me, I would have no hesitation in retaliating to neutralise the that against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/public_order_offenses_in_ireland.html

This is why the country is ****ed up, why would you walk away after someone physically attacks you regardless of gender why wouldnt you have the right to throw a punch back to defend yourself, also if you did then the person who tried to defend themselve ends up being penalized heavily than the person started it.

Same story when a robber attacks your house and even the slightest bit of injury you cause to the robber will cause you facing heavier sanctions..

source wrote: »
    In Ireland you are permitted to use force to defend yourself.

From my former life as a Guard, I have a lot of experience of women acting in a violent manner, they can be absolutely vicious.

I have had to strike a woman, who was attacking me with shoes, I've had to push women to the ground and restrain them, I have also seen women use bottles, heels and keys to inflict damage on people (male and female) that they were having a go at.

I used to think I would never hit a woman, but the fact of the matter is, they are not all little princesses to be revered. I'm now of the opinion that if any person laid a hand on me, I would have no hesitation in retaliating.

You should have walked away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Absolutely. Anyone who is enough of a dickhead to hit someone else deserves to learn a lesson. If any person hits me I'm hitting back in self defence. Depending on the situation I may warn them if they hit me again I'm hitting back and also walk away but if they're stupid enough to follow me after that and even just try to hit me again then God help their jaw because I'll be aiming to break it.

Gozunda wrote:
    Causing serious harm.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both

As I said don't be a dick - let the instigator get the rap. Nothing stupid about that.

There is if you end up in hospital when you could have defended yourself by fighting him off.

You can only use reasonable force under existing law. The law will also expect you to take evasive action if need be. You are more likely to end up in hospital if you get involved in a full on affray imo. But up to yourself if you wish to risk escalation of an affray and a conviction. Your choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement