Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly dog!

• 05-01-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on how to keep a dog relatively clean and not smelly! My golden retriever gets groomed 2-3 times per year. We take him for walks in a forest with a river so he can get quite mucky and smelly and even when he looks clean he still has that lingering smell. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can help the smell? It's a river/mucky kind of smell. I was thinking of making some sort of deodorising spray but maybe others might have better suggestions.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You could make up a spray with grapefruit oil and water. Or you could dust a little baby powder on the dog and brush through.

The other alternative of course is to bathe the dog more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

You could make up a spray with grapefruit oil and water. Or you could dust a little baby powder on the dog and brush through.

The other alternative of course is to bathe the dog more often!

I brush him often but he hates baths, I have spent many evenings trying to get him into the bath! Now we just bring him to a groomed who does a better job anyway but I've heard bathing them too often dries their skin out so I don't want to do that.
    A spray is probably the most suitable thing at the moment. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Regularly groom his coat. Keep area under his tail clean & very important is to keep his beds fresh smelling. A clean dog lying in a bed that is not washed very often will smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Dont let him sleep when damp or wet, always have him dry before laying down.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Is it the golden retriever 'aroma'? They are renowned for sometimes having a very distinctive odour and there's not much to be done about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

zanador wrote: »
    Is it the golden retriever 'aroma'? They are renowned for sometimes having a very distinctive odour and there's not much to be done about it

I've met a fair few retrievers with that aroma alright!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you dry him when he gets wet OP? I have 2 retrievers who love to swim and get mucky too but I always rub them down with a microfibre towel and put on a drying coat/towel when we get back to the car. I also have a blaster dryer and if they're still wet when we get home I finish them with that. They're house dogs who are allowed to lie on the couches so having them wet and mucky isn't an option for us! :p Furminator do a really good soap free shampoo too so you can spray it on and not have to wash it off.

What do you feed him - that could be adding to the smell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

good advice from TK123 - drying them off after their walk is the secret of getting rid of that smelly-wet-dog-pong! I keep towels in the car, at the front and back doors and a quick rubdown EVERY time they come in from outside even. A good brush every day - even a few mins - will definitely help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wrap a towel around their tummy and stick with velcro then put a drying coat/fleece over that nd it absorbs most of it. Even on a dry day their tummy will be soaked and mucky. I've been thinking of getting an converter for the car and bringing the blaster with me lol. :p

Advertisement