Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuba try dive in Dundalk

Options
  • 05-01-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Would you like to try a free dive night with Dundalk Sub Aqua Club on Tuesday 6th January?

What do I need to try a dive?

-> All you need is swimming costume, hat and a towel.

Where and when does the dive taking place?

-> Tuesday 6th of January @ 7.30 p.m. in the Aura swimming pool Dundalk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Id be interested in trying this... probably a silly question but how good of a swimmer do you need to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭bikeblue

It definitely helps if you are confidence in the water, but if you don't like to be in the water ...

Compared to other sports, diving is not a race or that you are in competition with other divers, its all about how much you like the dive and the buzz after the dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My wife and son would like to give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Fair play to the Sub Aqua club for this (see my rant in the boxing thread lol). Gormley if you were going to do the PADI open water course there is a minimum distance you need to swim but its not too long. I think its 100m but i'm open to correction as its a while since I did it myself. You can rest I think too as long as you doggy paddle and not cling to the side. It was the toughest part of the course for me as I did the course while travelling and was after a night out lol. This I doubt is applicable here anyhow and I'm sure that just being relatively confident in the water would suffice. Scuba diving is brilliant - bit unusual to be breathing underwater but ye quickly get used to controlling breathing and hence buoyancy. A big breath in and up ye start to go. No better place to give it a go than in a safe local heated swimming pool. Its not so nice in the cold open water ways around this little island as a first experience i'd say. if anyone is even remotely curious avail of this taster.

As an aside its great for somone who is asthmatic and tends to over breathe as controlled breathing is part of scub diving. I got the tank caught once going through an underwater tunnelled rock formation, a quick moment of worry but a further breath out and away I went again.

Dundalk SAC is affiliated to CFT , the Irish Under water council (comhairle fo thuinn on website diving.ie) and not to PADI. (I moved over from PADI to CFT due to the absence of local PADI clubs and other reasons). With CFT first you will get an indoor training course to become a 1 star diver (trainee).

Tonight at the pool we will be able to tell you all the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

bikeblue wrote: »
    (I moved over from PADI to CFT due to the absence of local PADI clubs and other reasons). With CFT first you will get an indoor training course to become a 1 star diver (trainee).

Tonight at the pool we will be able to tell you all the details.

I'd be interested to hear. My own days of diving are more or less over now. Is CFT internationally recognised, it is great if it is!

Hi Nesta99,

It all depends on how old you are feeling :-)
    But if the 99 stands for your age, then yeah, your diving days might be more or less over.
    Our club (about 50 members) has a few active divers "who have a lot of life experience" to put it nicely and there is no sign yet of them giving up diving.

I have no problems with getting dives when I dive abroad using my CFT/CMAS card, even with PADI dive centers.
    Because the visibility, currents and temperature is less favorable in Ireland then abroad, irish divers like to say: If you learned to dive in Ireland (CFT/PADI), you can dive anywhere.

From the CFT website (diving.ie):
    Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS) CFT is an affiliate member of CMAS the international umbrella organisation for recreational diver training organisations represented in the CMAS Technical Committee and underwater sports governed by the CMAS Sport Committee.It also operates a third (Scientific) committee that promotes recreational diver awareness of and involvement in underwater science pursuits and marine conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Looking forward to this tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I would like to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Great night, thanks to the club. Loved it, weird feeling. Once I got my buoyancy sorted, I was at least able to swim in a straight line :)

• Advertisement

Last Tuesday we had 8 people who tried a dive. Due to the success of this evening the club has decided to organize another try dive next week:

Wednesday 14th January at 8.30pm in the Aura swimming pool in Dundalk.

Scuba try dive in Dundalk

Would you like to try a dive with Dundalk Sub Aqua Club on Wednesday 14th October?

What do I need to try a dive?

-> All you need is swimming costume, hat and a towel.

Where and when does the dive taking place?

-> Wednesday 14th of October 7 pm till 9 pm in the Aura swimming pool Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Nesta99 wrote: »
    ...As an aside its great for somone who is asthmatic ...

I would suggest that any asthmatic that wants to learn to dive - before they even dream of approaching any of the major diver-certifying agencies - should visit a doctor familiar with diving medicine and get a letter from them confirming your fitness to dive.

All reputable dive training operators will want you to fill out a medical questionnaire (at the very least) before you get anywhere near the water.

If you tick the 'Asthma' box, they will either flat out refuse to accept you as a trainee, or insist on you obtaining a letter before you get anywhere near the water.

Unless your asthma is VERY well controlled, don't even bother starting down this road - you won;t reach the end of it.

Don't just go to your own GP unless you know they are familiar with diving medicine.

If the Dr you do go to just says "Ara, shure you'll be grand" straight out, then they are not familiar with diving medicine, and you should visit another one!

Scuba diving is an extremely enjoyable hobby, and it is safe as long as the correct procedures are followed.

On the other hand, however, if things DO go wrong, then they can go disastrously wrong very quickly, and you DO NOT want to have an asthma attack 30m down!

And, finally, if any training agency (and I'm sure this will not apply to DUndalk SAC!) offers to train you without any form of medical screening whatsoever, run away very quickly!

Good luck to all who do decide to go for it in Aura!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

bikeblue wrote: »
    Because the visibility, currents and temperature is less favorable in Ireland then abroad, irish divers like to say: If you learned to dive in Ireland (CFT/PADI), you can dive anywhere...

I second this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

That sounds interesting...never tried a dive before. Do you need any contact details beforehand or do I just turn up at Aura?

gipi wrote: »
    That sounds interesting...never tried a dive before. Do you need any contact details beforehand or do I just turn up at Aura?

It would be nice to have a your name + background before the night but it is not really necessary.

If you would like to drop an email (publicrelationsofficer@dundalksubaqua.ie) then we will take of it. If you prefer to talk to someone, our training officer (Ken, mobile 086 3857222) would be the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks, will drop ye an email.

gipi wrote: »
    Thanks, will drop ye an email.

We got your email, looking forward to meet you on the 14th of October in the Dundalk Aura !!!

Also, if you have already dived (abroad or in Ireland) and thinking of joining a dive club please come over to our try dive evening.

Our (most of the time) friendly and experienced members will be in and outside the pool to answer any (diving) related question you have.

:-)

By the way, we are out Friday evening, 2nd of October: Fundraising at Oriel park, before the FAI cup match between Dundalk FC and Longford Town.

• Advertisement

Tonight is the night! Try dive starting at 7pm !!!
    Dundalk Aura swimming pool

We had a busy evening, 16 brave people showed their nerves to give it a try dive.
    Depending on demand, the club will organize another try dive.

if you are interested on a different date, please contact me or send an email to:

publicrelationsofficer@dundalksubaqua.ie

The club will organize an introduction meeting at our clubhouse on Wednesday 21st of October @ 7.30 pm to inform people interested in joining the club (this is the moment!) or just interested in the clubs activities. The club will talk about training, diving and the club.
    You are all invited to come.

Address:
    Old Custom House
    Quay Street
    Dundalk, Co. Louth
    Co. Louth
    http://www.dundalksubaqua.ie
    https://www.facebook.com/Dundalk-Sub-Aqua-Search-And-Rescue-211157725583835

We have honored the request to hold another trydive...

A new try dive is scheduled for Wednesday the 11th of November in Dundalk Aura swimming pool between 7 and 9 pm.

see facebook (link in above post) or see attached flyer

for more information contact joe @ 086 168 6208
    or email
    publicrelationsofficer@dundalksubaqua.ie

Advertisement