Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 affecting my wifi

Options
  • 05-01-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I had a message coming up on my pc asking me to install windows 8.1 for ages. I ignored it as I knew there were issues with it.
    Recently the pop up wouldn't go away without downloading 8.1, so reluctantly I went ahead with it. Lo and behold my wifi now is dropping every 15 mins or less.
    Googling reveals it is a common issue. I have tried to do a system restore but it says there is no restore point.
    Any solutions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Update the drivers for the wireless card on your PC/laptop, get the drivers from the card manufactures website directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

davo2001 wrote: »
    Update the drivers for the wireless card on your PC/laptop, get the drivers from the card manufactures website directly.

You might want to try the laptop manufacturers website (eg Dell) before you try the card manufacturer (eg Intel) as quite often the laptop manufacturer has tweaked the drivers to suit the particular machine.

For example on my Sony Vaio I couldn't connect to 5ghz networks using the latest Intel driver. I downgraded to Sony's own windows 8.1 driver (which was quite a few version points behind the generic Intel driver) and it works perfectly now. So, latest is not always greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

I had the same issue when i installed windows 8.1. It would never detect my wifi card after a fresh install so i had to go to my laptops manufacturers website and simply just download the wifi drivers for my laptop there.

Install and reboot and the wifi was back working again.

Also you should make a system restore point incase anything major was to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Different versions of driver often give different performance. if one driver is slow you might want to try and old or newer revision of the driver.

Advertisement