Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building callouses and chasing goals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

bluewolf wrote: »
    good luck with them what are you studying

Thanks!!:D
    Im in a maths degree lol so theyre pretty tough

Maths nerds unite hi 5

Maths nerds unite hi 5

It's not enough I get to hi 5 a fellow math nerd!:D

Wednesday
    Finally back in the gym, have the exams all finished.

Just did whatever I felt like doing, knew the technique was going to be really off and it was, my knee hurt a bit as well but I think thats just from sitting down so much lately

Hang Muscle Snatch
    3x10 30
    Basically cardio...it sucked

Snatch + Low Hang Snatch
    10x1 50 felt really sloppy

Power Clean +Power Jerk
    6x(1,2) 70

Second day back,technique was much better today but my legs were absolutely dead, all my conditioning is gone! :(

Front Squat
    5x2 100
    Have lost a good bit of weight over the exam period, front squats hurt a lot today,the bar felt like I was sitting on bone

Snatch
    7x1 70
    went a good bit heavier today,but only did singles as thats all my legs could take after squatting

Clean and PJerk
    3x1 90
    Would have done but I was fried, the reps i did do were surprisingly good though

• Advertisement

Have put in a hard week of training fllowing a 1 week programme, loads of hang snatches and snatches for triples,pulls,squats and clean and jerk complexes

Weight is back at 71.5, was 74 before exams

Friday

Drop Snatch
    5x5 50
    Felt pretty good, better than mondyas drop snatches which were done at 40

Hang Snatch
    5x3 70
    Missed two reps while standing them up so im not too worried about that. Did a lot of warmup reps and worked hard at keeping the bar close tonight, starting to feel comfortable snatching again

Snatch Balance
    5x3 70
    Ugh..percentages said 80kg but my elbows said no way, so I stayed at 70

Deficit Snatch Pulls
    5x5 90
    Standing on 15kg bumpers, these were really difficult

Wednesday

Hard session,first day of a new programme and I wasnt doing so well.

Snatch Balance
    3x3 70
    Felt crisp!

Hip Snatch+Hang Snatch+Low hang snatch
    (1,1,1)
    2x40
    2x50
    2x60
    (0,1,1)
    5x70
    These went pretty well,couldnt do the hip snatch wat the working weight though,

Deficit Snatch 1st Pull
    5x5 80

Back Squat
    8x120
    3x8 100
    Just couldnt squat that day, form was horrendous,I kept twisting standing it up,didnt have the legs either, back squats have really regressed for me

Pull ups
    3x8

first day of a new program always seems so tough

first day of a new program always seems so tough

Takes a while to adjust. I think Im coming down with something though, haven't been feeling well at all since that session

Everyone around me here is dying of some bad cold dose so... good luck and feel better!

• Advertisement

Got back to training againyesterday as I finally felt a good bit better. Hard session again, loads of problems with my hip and elbow,hopefull it'll sort itself out in the comin weeks.

My squat form has also completely deserted me,i cannot back squat properlly right now

Snatch Balance
    3x3 70

Snatch hang + Low hang
    5x1 70
    Missed 2 attempts

Deficit Snatch 1st Pull
    5x5 80

Back Squat
    3x8 100
    Absolutely terrible

Pullups
    24 total, done in sets of 3 and 2

Paloff Press
    3x10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Got back to training againyesterday as I finally felt a good bit better. Hard session again, loads of problems with my hip and elbow,hopefull it'll sort itself out in the comin weeks.

My squat form has also completely deserted me,i cannot back squat properlly right now

One thing I've found out is that anytime I had problems with hips or knee, it affected my squat form in a bad way because I/my body ended up trying to move in a way that allowed a squat but in a way that protectedt he problem, if that makes sense. That's fine but it throws your form off and it feels heavy.

For example, my knee was sore a while back and when it got to a certain point on the eccentric, I stopped lowering and leaned a little more into it to get to parallel. I didn't realise I was doing it at the time but saw it on the video. Then it made sense why they felt so heavy.

Tl;dr if your hip is an issue, it might be affecting your squat form in a way you might not notice. Fix the hip and the squat might be fine.

One thing I've found out is that anytime I had problems with hips or knee, it affected my squat form in a bad way because I/my body ended up trying to move in a way that allowed a squat but in a way that protectedt he problem, if that makes sense. That's fine but it throws your form off and it feels heavy.

For example, my knee was sore a while back and when it got to a certain point on the eccentric, I stopped lowering and leaned a little more into it to get to parallel. I didn't realise I was doing it at the time but saw it on the video. Then it made sense why they felt so heavy.

Tl;dr if your hip is an issue, it might be affecting your squat form in a way you might not notice. Fix the hip and the squat might be fine.

This is definitely whats happening, Im twisting to keep the weight off that hip and its causing all the weight to move over onto the other leg. Im hoping its just a mobility issue created by the amount of inactivity ive had

This is definitely whats happening, Im twisting to keep the weight off that hip and its causing all the weight to move over onto the other leg. Im hoping its just a mobility issue created by the amount of inactivity ive had

Work the hell of it. Get a ball in there amd inflict some pain on yourself

Wesnesday

Had a hard but really fun session. Have crazy doms from it today

jerk from head
    5x5 45

Power Clean + Power Jerk
    3x2 90 missed 2 jerks

Push Press
    4x8 50
    Really really surprised wiht how well these went

Deficit Clean Pulls
    5x5 110
    trying to stay flat footed for much longer in the pull and to get a more aggressive extension with the hips,felt great here

Dips
    10x3

Ab Rollouts
    10x3
    Always get the worst doms from these

Friday

Absolutely died on this session

Drop Snatch
    5x3 50

Power Snatch+Snatch+OHS
    5x2 (1,1,1) 65
    Actually got pinned on two of the overhead squats,had to drop them because I couldnt stand up out of them

Deficit Snatch Pull
    5x5 90
    I really like these

Bulg split squats
    4x8 30

Reverse crunches
    3x20

Saturday

Kept forgetting to post this session.It was a pretty decent one but I actually forgot my gearbag so had to lift in flat shoes

Clean and Jerk
    5x2 80
    Had too almost power the cleans because I dont really have the mobility without the raised heel

Press in split
    3x10 30

Front Squat
    4x8 90
    Felt tough but not as awful as previous sessions,back squats remain awful

RDL
    5x5 110
    Was meant to be 3x10 but my straps were in the gearbag and I couldnt hold onto the bar for more than 5 reps

Bent over rows
    3x10 50
    Hands were so raw at this point I couldnt go heavy on these

Monday

Hard to get this session in, it was the first day back of college and the gym was literally packed, you could barely move, couldnt find the right plates,people walking across you while youre snatching. Kind of dangerous

Snatch Balance
    2x3 70
    3x75
    2x80
    Felt pretty good but I was too nervous of someone walking under the bar to really push it

Hip snatch,snatch fak,snatch fbk
    5x(1,1,1) 70
    Got the hip snatches in this week,couldnt do them at the working the last 2 time I did this session

Deficit Snatch 1st Pull
    5x5 80
    Love deficit pulls,theyre easier than regular ones!

Back Squat
    4x8 100
    Its still light and feels way heavier than it should but at least this time there was no pain,might be able to start pushing them up in weight soon

Arms
    Did 3x10 on tricep pressdowns and tricep extensions

Thursday
    Didnt train yesterday as I usually do,had other commitments. so trained today instead

Jerk from Head
    2x5 45
    3x5 50
    Getting better at these again, dont like them at all though

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    3x2 90
    Felt really solid,didnt miss any reps this week

Push Press
    4x8 55
    Surprised I was able to get this weight so easily

Deficit Clean Pull
    5x5 110

Dips
    1x10
    2x8

Ab Rollouts
    3x10

Friday

So many reps in tonights session...actually though I was going to get sick

Drop snatch
    3x5 50
    These felt really heavy for some reason,not sure why

Power Snatch+Snatch+Overhead Squat
    (1,1,1)
    4x2 60
    Used hookgrip for these instead of straps so that I could drop and reset after each rep,legs cramp badly otherwise. It destroyed my thumbs though

Deficit Snatch Pulls
    5x5 90
    Felt really smooth

Bulgarian Split Squats
    4x8 30

Klokov Press
    3x10 30
    Nearly died...

Reverse Crunches
    3x20

• Advertisement

Saturday

Im not build for doing three sessions in a row. Absolutely died today

Clean and Jerk
    5x2 85
    Felt heavier than they should but no problems getting the reps

Press in Split
    3x10 35

Front Squat
    2x8 100
    2x8 80
    took too long of a break between the second and third set at 100 so had to unload it back to 80 and do two sets

RDL
    3x10 100
    My hamstrings and glutes were on fire, Ive never actually felt anything on this excercise before

Bent Over Row
    4x8 60

Real tough session today, it was mainly made tough by the fact the gym was stuffed well past capacity and has like zero ventilation. There was literally so much moisture in the air that you were soaked within minutes and I had trouble breathing

Snatch Balance
    3x3 62
    Had to go light enough to be able to get it onto my back myself since I couldnt get near a squat rack

Hip Snatch+Hang Snatch+Low Hang Snatch
    5x1 70
    Felt smooth, hip snatches were all lats, but I got them all

Deficit Snatch 1st Pull
    5x5 100
    Expected these to feel heavier than they did,Im pretty okay from a deficit

Back Squat
    3x8 105
    1x8 110
    The weights are still light but I actually felt like I was squatting properly today.

Paloff Press
    3x10

Wednesday

Wednesday isnt a bad training day at all,went heavy on pulls,starting to really get into them again

Jerk from head
    5x5 50

PowerClean+Power Jerk
    3x2 90

Push Press
    6x60 (might be a pr)
    3x8 55
    Push press is starting to feel good,I can see pr's coming soon in this

Deficit Clean Pulls
    4x5 120
    1x5 130
    Felt easy,the 130 was slow though

Dips
    3x10

Ab Rollouts
    3x10

Last week of this programme, volume was dramatically lowered, squats went brilliantly as a consequence of that

Snatch Balance
    3x3 70

Snatch Fak+ Fbk
    3x1 75
    They were a little sloppy

Back Squat
    8x100
    8x110
    8x120
    8x130 definitely a rep pr
    Felt really good,wore a thin velcro belt for the 120 and 130,helped a good bit on the 130

Pullups
    32 reps, got 8 in one go at this start

Paloff Press
    3x10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

What would you say has helped more with getting faster under the bar: snatch balances, drop snatches etc. or 3pos. and hip snatches?

My snatch misses are identical everytime; I get about 90% through and just can't hold the bar right at the end of the catch. I attribute this to a ****ty snatch balance (75kg is my best, 82.5 best snatch) and just being slow pulling under the bar, but it's probably both. It's damn frustrating as I'm pulling 100-105 to chest height when I do snatch high-pulls, but wouldn't dare attempt close to those weights at the moment.

Looking at the 87.5 video you posted a few pages back, you look much faster under the bar than me, so I'd like to to know what works for you if you don't mind.

My snatch balance and my snatch are identical at 90 but im currently trying to push it up.

The thing that definitely helped the most was paying a lot of attention to my upper body strength, presses,push presses,pullups etc.. Really helped with the power being put into my lockouts, my leg strength is pretty decent but my upper body lagged very far behind

Best tip I've ever got though other than the regular ones like staying over the bar more and making sure to finish my extension(which I still have trouble doing) which dramatically increased my speed under the bar, was to rotate my elbows so that they were facing sideways(finding it hard to explain what I mean here) and then to really build tension in my lats. It keeps everything seriously tight and close and really allowed me to punch harder going under the bar.

Hang snatches are good for it aswell because to lift heavy on them you need to be quick, my hang snatches are only a few kg's off my best snatches.

Other than that just practice

My snatch balance and my snatch are identical at 90 but im currently trying to push it up.

The thing that definitely helped the most was paying a lot of attention to my upper body strength, presses,push presses,pullups etc.. Really helped with the power being put into my lockouts, my leg strength is pretty decent but my upper body lagged very far behind

Best tip I've ever got though other than the regular ones like staying over the bar more and making sure to finish my extension(which I still have trouble doing) which dramatically increased my speed under the bar, was to rotate my elbows so that they were facing sideways(finding it hard to explain what I mean here) and then to really build tension in my lats. It keeps everything seriously tight and close and really allowed me to punch harder going under the bar.

Hang snatches are good for it aswell because to lift heavy on them you need to be quick, my hang snatches are only a few kg's off my best snatches.

Other than that just practice

I'm not sure where my upper body strength is in relation to my lifts. Best push press is 90kg, which is awful considering I strict pressed 80kg over a year ago. What's your ratio incidentally?

I know what you mean about the elbows facing out rather than behind; I've started making an effort to do that. Do you actively squeeze your lats before you initiate the pull? I never really do that, in fact I don't do that for any form of pull either.

My pull is normally quite straight; bar tends to go in past the knees and out after contact but still falls behind a straight vertical line from the floor which tells me it's not terrible, but maybe tightening my lats more will help. Hang and block snatches are also by far my worst variation as I rely a lot on momentum from the first pull which isn't great, so I'm focusing on them more than full snatches at the moment.

My push press is currently at 75kg, strict is 48. considering I power jerked 115(split is 110) this is quite a long way behind.

I try my best to actively squeeze my lats the whole way through the pull,my pull off the floor is probably slower because of this though but I feel that doesnt actually hurt the snatch that much.

I do all my snatch pulls as high pulls or at least attempting to pull as high as possible and I feel that really helps me aswell. For the lat strength in the pull we do a lot of snatch 1st pull drills.

But a lot of my increases in speed under the bar lately do come from being yelled at by a coach to be faster after every rep, thats probably the best way..:P

My push press is currently at 75kg, strict is 48. considering I power jerked 115(split is 110) this is quite a long way behind.

I try my best to actively squeeze my lats the whole way through the pull,my pull off the floor is probably slower because of this though but I feel that doesnt actually hurt the snatch that much.

I do all my snatch pulls as high pulls or at least attempting to pull as high as possible and I feel that really helps me aswell. For the lat strength in the pull we do a lot of snatch 1st pull drills.

But a lot of my increases in speed under the bar lately do come from being yelled at by a coach to be faster after every rep, thats probably the best way..:P

Yeah I'll focus on push presses for strength, and definitely increasing my jerk aswell, considering you're jerking >2x your strict press which is incredible imo. I think timing/more practice which is my problem with push presses and jerks as leg strength isn't an issue for me either.

Yeah I see loads of lifters who start slow but the 2nd pull flies up. The 1st pull is meant to just put you in the best position for the 2nd pull, so I've heard. I'll try to tighten my lats now though.

I just have my head roaring at me inside watching recordings of myself after every lift so kinda the same lol. There's also an old german guy who swings by from time to time and shouts stuff at me aswell.

Cheers for the replies though!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Was having a brilliant session until I got this big pinch in my shoulder doing push presses, think its a slight impingement,stopped training straight ,should be grand for friday though

PowerClean+Power Jerk
    3x1 100
    Really simple,caught the cleans much higher than usual so thats hopefully a sign of pr's to come

Deficit Clean Pulls
    5x5 120
    Hard to belive Ive actually cleaned this,it felt so heavy

Push Press
    8x60 definitely a big pr
    6x60
    had to stop then because of my arm

Back Squat
    8x100
    8x110
    8x120
    8x130 definitely a rep pr

Relocated your back squat mojo! :)

Relocated your back squat mojo! :)

Damn right,nothing can stop me now!

Update

Been haivng a deload week for the last week ,low volume,low weight.

Its boring so i didnt post it

Will be maxing tomorrow!!:D:D:D

Max out friday didnt quite go to plan

Snatch
    90x1 matches my current pr
    92xx wasnt even close

Clean and Jerk
    105x1
    110xxxxxx
    Took way too many attempts at 110 when it was clear I wasnt going to be able to get it tonight.

Strained something in my neck too, can barely turn my head. Hopefully it'll be gone by tomorrow.

Monday

Start of a new training phase seems to be made up of high reps and loads of acessories

5x1 65
    No bother,flew through this

Back Squat
    Didnt fly these half as much

100x10
    110x10
    120x10 (5kg pr on 10rm)

After the second rep of 120 I knew it was too heavy for me,but everyone had told me that and they were all watching so reracking was not an option. eventually got the 10 reps ,but had to take 10 seconds to gasp for air between reps

Incline dumbell bench
    3x10 12.5

Dips
    3x10

The pain in my legs today is unreal,dont even want to know what it'll be like tomorrow

• Advertisement

The wonderful* world of high-rep training.

*It's not wonderful. It sucks donkey balls. Before and after.

Good news is it really works.

The wonderful* world of high-rep training.

*It's not wonderful. It sucks donkey balls. Before and after.

Good news is it really works.

I'm in even more pain today!! Can barely walk

I'm in even more pain today!! Can barely walk

I feel your pain. I started back into a new programme last week that involved all of the volume.

All of it.

Mentally, you'll be ready for it next week so it won't be as bad and the DOMS will be a bit less. :)

Wednesday

Overall a little gentler but still crazy hard because of the leftover doms from monday

Clean and Jerks
    3x2 80
    These felt like 100 ,was really rough

RDL
    1x10 100
    2x10 120
    Was too dead to do the third set at 120, legs were weak

Push Press
    3x10 50
    Weight wasnt heavy,just the number of reps held me back

LatPulldowns
    3x10
    Single leg squat onto a box
    3x10
    Nice and easy,liked this one
    Reversecrunches
    3x20

Friday

Snatch
    3x2 70
    Missed 2 reps but retook them

Front Squat
    10x 80
    10x 90
    10x 100
    Didnt push too hard on these, high rep front squats tend to wreck my back

Pullups
    6x5
    Probably the most consistent pullups ive ever done

Renegade row
    10x3 10kg dumbells,found these impossible

Saturday

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    5x2 80
    Grand enough,legs were tired

Deadlifts
    3x10 120
    These should not be done in 10's, they were basically rdl's because I dont really know how to deadlift properly

Klokov Press
    3x10 30
    Arm Work
    3x10 superset for curls and pushdowns

Ab rollouts
    3x10

• Advertisement

Forgot to log a whole week of training. Will post saturdays session though

Saturday
    Power Clean+Power Jerk
    5x2 90
    Didnt feel too hard at all

Deadlifts
    2x10 130
    1x10 140 (never done so many reps at this weight before)
    The lungs were much much more prepared for these this week,actually got these pretty easily,just banged them out,all from dead stops

Klokov press
    3x10 35 volume pr

Arm superset
    3x10
    Ab rollouts
    3x10

Monday
    Different rep scheme for the next weeks now. Was much nicer only 8 reps instead of 10:p

Had really really good squats,Had to skip all the accessory work though due to the state I was in after the squat, had to do my best to keep my stomach inside my body ,it was bad

3x1 70 Really easy

Back Squat
    8x110
    8x120
    8x130
    8x140 (10kg pr on 3rm that I set about 2 weeks ago!)

Bent Over Rows
    3x8 50

Hamstring Curls
    3x8

At this point I had to give up,was meant to do incline db bench and dips

Trained on wednesday and friday aswell, but they went really bad. Am currently jsut exhausted,I dont think i've ever felt so totally drained in my entire life so far. Effort is the only thing thats keeping me going at the moment.

Between wednesday and friday I missed more reps on olymipc lifts than I have in the 6 months before that, just zero energy

Saturday
    Actuually had a decent session once I got passed the olympic stuff. Got a nice deadlift pr,nearly got a really big deadlift pr just afterwards

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    3x2 100
    Were really slow and had to take a lot of attempts to get all the reps

Deadlift
    120x8
    130x8
    140x8
    150x8 (pretty massive pr)
    160x6
    Literally couldnt get 160 off the ground for the 7th rep

Arms superset
    3x10
    Ab rollouts
    3x10

It looked a lot easier on video than it felt

Monday

Olympic lifts went pretty terrible last night, but I got more squat pr's so i dont mind too much

Bent Over rows
    4x8 70

Power Snatch+Snatch+Overhead squat
    3x1 80 missed a whole bunch of these

Back Squat
    5x6 140 Did the first set without a belt

Ive never done so many reps in one session with this weight and theres definitely more in the tank

Chest Press machine
    5x10 30

Dips
    10x3

Saturday- Intervarsities Competition

Bodyweight: 71.8kg
    Snatch: 80, 85, 90x
    Clean and Jerk: 105, 111, 116x

Weighed in really light but have been feeling sick for days and have been barely able to eat so im not surprised.

Snatches went really well. 90 flew up,was so surprised at how fast it went up that I accidentally dropped it. Essentially overpulled it

In the clean and jerk to get third place overall I had to lift 112, But we just said screw that lets go for the pr. There was a great fight for the 116,I thought I had it, the audience all thought I had it,the refs didnt . I can only assume that I had a twitchy elbow or something...but even if i did much much worse pressouts were given three whites all day long

Monday

Straight back into training,was expecting a deload but instead its been decided we're going to keep training hard for 3 more weeks until the connaught open.

3x60
    3x65
    3x70
    2x75
    Realised then that I did out my percentages wrong ,lifted heavier for more reps than I was meant to,genuinely nearly died

Back Squat
    5x5 120

Bent Over Rows
    5x5 80

Dips
    3x10

Wednesday

Push Press
    5x5 60

Clean and Jerk
    80x3
    85x3
    90x3
    95x2
    100x1
    105xx
    Had zero energy to do these

RDL
    5x5 110

Reverse Crunches
    3x20

I really need a break,starting to dread going in:(

Sometimes if you need a mental break it's nice to go in and do whatever you feel like doing
    No program etc

Sometimes if you need a mental break it's nice to go in and do whatever you feel like doing
    No program etc

I had this last week. I came back from a few days of no lifting and a lot of drinking, and felt absolutely awful. So, instead I just did some pulls, some bench (which I hadn't done in many months) and some bb work for the craic.

Came back monday, felt much better and PR'd my Power C+J last night.

Just for a reference on how ****ed up the body and mind can be, I grinded out a single set of 5 of 135kg back squats last wednesday (one of the toughest sets of my life) and a week later did 3x8.

The log reads like there's been a long spell of high volume with little respite. No wonder you're starting to feel a bit burned out, Emc.

Couple of days of rest and maybe some low volume training of exercises you like will rest you mentally and physically and get you back chomping at the bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement