Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building callouses and chasing goals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fair play, fella. Congrats!!!

Olé, old olé olé, olé, olé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Well done that's class! You've made serious progress since you started, well deserved :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Fair play, fella. Congrats!!!

Olé, old olé olé, olé, olé.
    Aspiring wrote: »
    Well done that's class! You've made serious progress since you started, well deserved :D

Thanks very much for the support!! its very much appreciated.
    And im hoping there still a load more progress to be made!:D

This is supposedly a pretty relaxed international thats a good one for your first. Theres 3 of us going ,all first-timers

That's so exciting well done!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's so exciting well done!!

Its actually quite terrifying:pac:

• Advertisement

National Juniors

Had an awesome day at the national juniors in Waterford on saturday.
    Got a pile of pr's, had some nice looking lifts and overall just a really impressive showing which is something I wanted to do after being picked for the comp in Malta. Got a new bodyweight competition pr:rolleyes: and went 5/6 on the lifts

Bodyweight: 68.4kg ,that was before breakfast

Snatch: 70, 74, 78 (1kg pr, 11kg comp pr)

Clean and Jerk: 89, 94, 98x (4kg comp pr)

Total: 172 (1kg pr, 18kg comp pr)

Managed to video 5 of the lifts. I missed the clean on 98 but thats because I was dizzy and out of energy
    The clean and Jerk warmup was pure mad, I was one of the last snatching and the first clean and jerking and there was no break between the two. So I had to warmup the clean and jerk in about 3 mins.
    warmup: 20x1,40x1,65x1,80x1
    Hope I never have to warmup like that again, it did feel very unfair but whatever

The Snatches(first attempt wasnt recorded, but it was super smooth)

The clean and Jerks

last nights session was pretty great, hit some serious snatches and some pr front squats

Also its my birthday so definitely no training today and loads of cake gains are expected!:cool:

No contact Snatches
    Triples for so many sets at 40
    Literally cannot do these, cant stay over the bar long enough or generate enough momentum. Towards the end I changed my start position significantly and got some good no contact snatches. Kept the change going into my snatches and they actually felt way better

Snatch
    52.5x3
    57.5x3
    62.5 3x2
    67.5 2x2
    No misses, felt pretty fast

Power Clean+ Power Jerk
    62.5x3
    67.5x3
    72.5 3x2
    77.5 x1
    Was mean to be 2x2 at the top weight but I caught a clean badly on the 72 set and hurt my elbow and thats why I missed the reps

Front Squat
    5x4 110
    New pr 4 rep max by 3kg, Didnt really feel all that hard, I'd say I probably had one set more left in me at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

that is some front squatting !

arayess wrote: »
    that is some front squatting !

My front squats are catching up to my back squats all the time,theyre probably only like 10kg in the difference at the moment

Monster session last night, it was really long and I was dead by the end, literally could not wake up this morning I was so tired
    And it doesnt get any better since friday and saturday have even longer and harder sessions

Power Snatch+ Snatch Balance
    Work up to heavy (3,1) : 62.5kg
    Got 2 reps at 65
    3x(3,1) 55

Snatch Balance
    3x2 70
    Wasnt having a good day on these at all

Clean +Jerk Dip+ Jerk
    62.5 x1x2
    70 x1x2
    77.5 x1x4
    80 x1x2
    They felt solid and light but I was really tired

Snatch Pulls
    5x3 85
    Did some pulls from the hip at the end of each set like I've seen the chinese doing on youtube:rolleyes:
    But the pulls felt really strong,feel like I could snatch 80 very soon

• Advertisement

Was very fatigued and feeling a bit ill going into the session but the grind never stops so I toughened up and got things done, actually had a pretty good session, missed a few lifts but thats okay,I smashed my push press 3 rep max aswell:cool:

Hip Snatch+ Drop Snatch
    3x3 40 Very weak at both these positions, started out rough ,got better as it went along

Snatch fak+ Snatch fbk
    Havent done these in ages and I've always been pretty weak from these positions, i'm best off the floor. Still I hit nearly every lift and they were a hell of a lot better than last time I did them
    (1,1)
    50x2,
    55 x2
    62.5x3
    67.5x2 Missed 2 of the attempts at this weight

Power Clean+ Push Press+ Paused Jerk
    (1,3,1) and it was up to 3 rep max of push press
    1x40
    1x45
    1x50
    1x55
    1x60
    1x65(10kg on 3 rep max,3kg on 1rep max I think? for push press)
    70x

Clean and Jerk
    67.5x3
    75x2
    77.5 3x2
    80 2x2
    Missed the last jerk. Tore a callous on my hand the last day so cleans were very painful so I did these as 1 clean then the number of prescribed reps on jerks

At the end then , I did some snatch deadlifts and a heavy single on squats
    Back Squat
    Up to a very easy 130
    Snatch Deadlift: Up to 100

Feel Great!

Yesterdays training

Was tired that morning and pretty beat up from the previous evening training. But I got through it all pretty well. But im in quite a lot of muscle pain today and my back is pretty heavily fatigued

Snatch
    40x4
    50x3
    65x2
    60x1
    65x1
    70x1
    Felt pretty good at this point,the snatches were feeling light

Power Clean+Power Jerk+Jerk
    Singles up to power jerk max: 85
    Then
    5x1 75 ,was meant to be 4 doubles but I just couldnt so did a little more singles

Clean Pulls
    4x3 110
    Felt heavy mainly because I have a torn callous on my hand

Back Squats
    5x4 120
    These were very hard purely because my back and legs were wiped from the pulls just before these, but I got all the reps and honestly didnt feel like I could fail a rep at any point

Strict Press
    To 5 rep max: 40
    Disappointed with that since I've done 5x5 with 40 before but I was just too wrecked
    Then 2x5 35

I've been told the next week and a half of training will be much much harder than this week and then I'll get a little less for maybe 3 session then hard again, with a taper at the end, this is all training for malta.

Yesterdays session.
    It was hard and heavy but I dominated, more front squat pr's were achieved as well

No-Contact Snatch
    Work up to a heavy double: 52.5
    Then 2x2 47.5
    Massive improvement here from last week,feel like these will really benefit my snatches

Snatch
    50x3
    55x3
    62.5x2x2
    65x2
    70 3x1
    Two stupid misses along the way,one at 55 and another at 62.5,just didnt lock out hard enough on them

Power Clean+ Power Jerk
    62.5x3
    67.5x3
    72.5 2x2
    77.5 2x2
    81x2
    Again 2 stupid misses while working up, just wasnt under the bar in the power jerk which is a problem I have when im not focused enough on the jerk

Front Squat
    5x3 115
    This was my new 3 rep max which nearly destroyed me to set about 3 weeks ago,havent even done any really squatting since then but even so I did 5 sets of it yesterday. Best part was there wasnt a single rep where I felt like I could actually fail even though almost every rep was difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

EmcD123 wrote: »
    National Juniors

Had an awesome day at the national juniors in Waterford on saturday.
    Got a pile of pr's, had some nice looking lifts and overall just a really impressive showing which is something I wanted to do after being picked for the comp in Malta. Got a new bodyweight competition pr:rolleyes: and went 5/6 on the lifts

Bodyweight: 68.4kg ,that was before breakfast

Snatch: 70, 74, 78 (1kg pr, 11kg comp pr)

Clean and Jerk: 89, 94, 98x (4kg comp pr)

Total: 172 (1kg pr, 18kg comp pr)

Managed to video 5 of the lifts. I missed the clean on 98 but thats because I was dizzy and out of energy
    The clean and Jerk warmup was pure mad, I was one of the last snatching and the first clean and jerking and there was no break between the two. So I had to warmup the clean and jerk in about 3 mins.
    warmup: 20x1,40x1,65x1,80x1
    Hope I never have to warmup like that again, it did feel very unfair but whatever

The Snatches(first attempt wasnt recorded, but it was super smooth)

The clean and Jerks

Nice!
    I think we were lifting in the same group that day.

dylbert wrote: »
    Nice!
    I think we were lifting in the same group that day.

Really,I didnt realise anyone from here was going to be at it. That was the 3rd group

Dylbert is still trying to get the dust off his log.

Ya had a look just there,was pretty surprised by the dates on the posts

Haha, a lot of dust, I've been keeping a low profile ;)

Really,I didnt realise anyone from here was going to be at it. That was the 3rd group

Yep I was in that group.

Yesterdays session

Got up that morning absolutely no pain in my pain or legs after mondays squats, thought it was too good to be true and it was. Instead of dom's my legs were just dusht instead, no power in them, I was having trouble even standing up from an overhead squat

Power Snatch+Snatch Balance
    Up to a heavy double: 62.5
    2x2 57.5
    Felt really sluggish,my pull was too slow and I wasnt locking out hard enough

Snatch Balance
    3x2 75
    75x1
    Still have bad form on these but I dont think it really matters that much

Clean+ Jerk Dip+ Jerk
    67.5x3
    72.5x2
    77.5x2x2
    82.5x2
    87.5x2
    These were really hard, no misses though. Just felt like I was getting slammed into the bottom of the cleans

Snatch Pulls
    4x3 85
    Again these felt really good even if they werent quite fast enough

• Advertisement

Insane session today, did everything so easily. Usually i'm half dead after training even when its an easy one but this time im still buzzing around the place full of energy. (Disclaimer: its the first time Ive taken in a significant amount of caffiene at training in weeks)

Hip Snatch+ Drop Snatch
    (3,3)x4 40
    So so easy and fast!

Snatch Fak+ Fbk
    Usually suck at these and they seemed hard until I got a eureka moment which (1,1)x2 40,50,55,60
    (1,1) x65, 70(3kg pr)
    Missed the entire set on my first set at 65, couldnt understand why, then I realised I was focusing too much on my positions, then I said to myself,Ive drilled those positions for ages now I should just trust my body to get into the right place and focus on pulling faster instead, so I dramatically increased the speed of the pull into the hip and then they flew up

Power Clean+ Push Press(2 rep max)+ Paused Jerk
    Up to 65
    Couldnt push press 70 at all

Clean and Jerk
    70x3
    75x2x2
    82.5x2
    90x1x3
    On the 90's I really focused on lengthening my pull on the clean but I tend to jsut pop it forward from really low down on my thigh and then the cleans just flew up so easily. Also the last jerk was literally the greatest lift Ive ever done EVER! it was rock solid

Literally cannot wait for tomorrow morning's session:D:D

Is there any caffeine left?

Anywhere???

Is there any caffeine left?

Anywhere???

Lol I was still buzzed up when I typed up the post, going through a major crash right now though:P

AND THERE WAS A SNATCH AND THEN SOME JERK AND THEY WERE GOING GREAT AND I WAS FEELING GREAT AND I'M USUALLY NOT AND I'M STILL BUZZING AND I JUST WANT TO TRAIN SO I'LL PROBABLY JUST EAT SOMETHING HAVE A COFFEE AND BREAK INTO THE GYM TO TRAIN SOME MORE BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO TRAIN AND I STILL HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY THAT I WANT TO TRAIN AND I NEED TO TRAIN...

*passes out*

:)

Sounds like me after my supplements haha

AND THERE WAS A SNATCH AND THEN SOME JERK AND THEY WERE GOING GREAT AND I WAS FEELING GREAT AND I'M USUALLY NOT AND I'M STILL BUZZING AND I JUST WANT TO TRAIN SO I'LL PROBABLY JUST EAT SOMETHING HAVE A COFFEE AND BREAK INTO THE GYM TO TRAIN SOME MORE BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO TRAIN AND I STILL HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY THAT I WANT TO TRAIN AND I NEED TO TRAIN...

*passes out*

:)

My entire life summed up right there:p

Saturday morning session

Wasnt expecting it to be that good after the friday I out in on friday but it was amazingly again. with no caffeine this time lol

Snatch
    40x3
    50x3
    55x3
    60x2
    65x1
    70x1
    74x1
    All very easy, bit shaky on the pull though but thats just fatigue because Ive been on a hard training cycle

Power Clean+Power Jerk(2 rep max)+Jerk
    Up to 85
    Then 3x1 80

Clean Pulls
    2x3 115
    3x120
    3x125(5kg over my mixed grip 1rm deadlift)
    Really decided to push hard on the pulls today

Strict Press
    Up to a 3 rep max: 42.5
    44 wouldnt come off my shoulders:rolleyes:
    4x3 40

Back Squats
    4x3 125 So easy!!
    Felt like I had a pile of energy after the working sets were all done so decided I'd go for a heavy single and see what happens
    135x1 this absolutely flew up and down

Then pr time!!
    140x1 (5kg pr)
    Last time I attempted it,I knew if i was fresh I could get it but I missed because I was too fatigued after doing a double at 135, I think that shows that my squat has actually improved again since then. Estimate I could get 145 if I was fresh
    I even managed to record it, the camera angle makes it look like its not that deep but it was actually below parallel,also lighting was bad for it

So yesterdays session was my first bad session in a while. I felt tired ,I wasnt hit the right positions and I was so sore all over. Its probably my own fault for maxing out my squat and my pulls on saturday though

No contact Snatch
    Up to a heavy single: 55
    Tried 60, on a normal good day I think I get it but I didnt yesterday

Snatch
    50x3
    55x3
    62.5 2x2
    65x1
    70x1
    75x
    Only took one attempt at 75, I lost focus as I was pulling and my elbows got all tangled up over my head and they were pointing in all the wrong directions. I panicked then and made it worse trying to bail it badly, feel like I got lucky because I could have really hurt myself

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    Elbows were not feeling right, very tingly and kind of limp, but I got all the reps in here even if they were very scrappy
    62.5x3
    67.5x3
    72.5 2x2
    77.5x1
    85xx
    85x2
    Had to bring out a huge mental effort to get the 85 double

Front Squats
    120x2 (5kg pr)
    Completely mis-grooved the 3rd rep on the descent and got pinned at the bottom
    3x3 110
    When I fail a rep I usually take 10-15kg off the bar so I just got my reps in then at 110

Yesterdays session was pretty drained. I have exams starting next week so im studying like mad at the moment.
    Was completely wiped mentally when i went into the gym,I also ate too close to training and was tired from sitting in one place all day. Session still went fairly okay ,did nearly everything I was supposed to do, but it was very tough

Power Snatch+Snatch Balance
    To heavy single
    Worked up to 65kg
    Snatch was slightly below paralell though

Snatch Balance
    75x2
    75x1
    75x1
    80x2
    80x1
    Was meant to be 4 doubles at 80, but snatch balances have been messing with me,they're getting into my head now and I just cant do them even though im strong enough

Clean+Dip+Jerk
    70x3
    75x5 ugh triples...*crying emoji*
    80x2x2
    85x1
    90x1
    92.5x
    Everything was going well until 92.5, I drove it up on the jerk and I just didnt commit for some reason, was focused enough. Wasnt allowed to take a second attempt even though I felt like I could get it

Snatch Pulls
    Since I was tired,I decided to really overload these and try to pull hard, since Im competing soon ill do them light and fast next week
    4x3 90

A sort of max out session is on friday and saturday which looks fun and then a real max out on monday!!

• Advertisement

Was tired again from studying all day and was feeling quite unwell by the time I got to training. On the plus Ive realised over the last few days that I really like linear algebra and that I wish I'd studied it more during the semester

Hip Snatch+Drop Snatch
    (3,3)x4 40
    Uneventful is the best word for these

Snatch Fak+Fbk
    50x1
    60x1
    65x1
    70x
    70x
    72.5x
    72.5(2.5kg pr)
    Wasnt feeling well,wasnt hitting the right positions,kinda accidentally got the pr at the end

Power Clean+Push Press+Pause Jerk
    Up to 70kg(5kg push press pr)
    Missed 75 afterwards

Clean and Jerk
    80x1
    85x1
    90x1
    Very easy and straightforward even if the jerks werent the best

Core Work
    1 minute plank with 35kg on my back, wasnt really that hard, just did this for the craic,I should really do more

Squat
    Decided since I had finished really early I'd squat to a single
    120x1 3 second pause at bottom
    Then 130x1
    140x1 Much deeper this time

Legs were mush after yesterdays training, but I actually had a very good session. Malta is only around 2 weeks away! and I'm feeling really strong so thats good

Snatch
    40x4
    50x3
    60x2
    65x1
    75x1
    74 2x1 First was with straps,second with hookgrip

Power Clean+Power Jerk+Jerk
    Up to 85
    Missed the power jerk at 90 again this week

Clean Pulls
    3x3 110 Felt really strong and fast

Back Squat
    60x6
    80x3
    100x2
    125x3
    Legs were sore and squats felt really heavy after yesterdays squatting, probably shouldnt have tried the 140 that time

Glute Ham Raises
    Now that I've finally found out how to do these I did a few.they're pretty easy
    2x10

Glute Ham Raises
    Now that I've finally found out how to do these I did a few.they're pretty easy
    2x10

The closer your knees are to the pad, the harder it'll be. And the higher the anchor for your feet is.

The closer your knees are to the pad, the harder it'll be. And the higher the anchor for your feet is.

I still havent really figured out all of that,I had it set to the smallest distance between the feet and the pad so I'd say my knees were pretty close
    its just that everyone I know who does these is absolutely in agony during them and I just feel a slight burn in my hamstrings, maybe im just strong:P

I still havent really figured out all of that,I had it set to the smallest distance between the feet and the pad so I'd say my knees were pretty close
    its just that everyone I know who does these is absolutely in agony during them and I just feel a slight burn in my hamstrings, maybe im just strong:P

yeah I thought they were easy til hanley corrected my form
    I'm still not 100% convinced I'm doing them fully right but close

yeah I thought they were easy til hanley corrected my form
    I'm still not 100% convinced I'm doing them fully right but close

Most confusing excercise ever,turns out I was doing back extensions up until today though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So max out day was today!! I absolutely killed it!!
    Wasnt feeling particularly good all day, was pretty dehydrated,tired. Muscles felt stiff and sore but when I got into the gym that all went away

President of weightlifting Ireland who will be our coach in Malta was down to watch us train today so I was really nervous and just wanted to show him what I can do

Bought a can of the nocca energy drink today for the first time. 180mgs caffeine ,a boatload of sugar and bcaa's in it. I was buzzing for the whole session :)

Snatch
    40x4
    50x3
    55x2
    60x1
    65x1
    70x1
    74x1
    77x1
    80x1
    82x1 (4kg PR)
    The 80 was very clean, 82 was a struggle,really had to fight to save it but I'm really really happy with my progress on the snatch lately

Clean and Jerk
    Big things happened here
    40x2
    50x2
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1 shaky jerk here
    90x1 nailed it
    94x1(old pr is 95)
    97x1
    100x1
    102x1 !!!!:eek::eek: (7kg PR)
    The 102 felt easy!!

So Total is: 184 (12kg PR)
    Bodyweight: Somewhere around 70kg

Snatch Pulls
    3x3 90

Warm down: Back extensions + Strict Press
    3x10 back extension
    strict press 4x5 40

The stars must have aligned for me or something because I really pulled that performance out of nowhere,dont know where it came from

Ya so yesterdays session didnt look anything like mondays lol

Literally could not find the motivation to try. Had linear algebra exam yesterday,came out of it feeling pretty good but also really exhausted.

Got to the gym,didnt want to train but did anyway.

Power Snatch
    3x3 40 drill work
    50x3x2
    55x2
    60x1
    65x1
    67.5x1

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    40x2
    50x1
    60x1
    70x1
    80x1
    90xx

Front Squat
    60x3
    80x2
    100x2
    115x1
    125x

Everything felt heavy,and I was slow and unfocused. Just couldnt get it together. Had wanted to front squat 130 but got absolutely pinned under 125

Two sessions to post today. One good one and one not so good one

Friday Evening
    Not a good day,was meant to hit heavy singles but didnt really get anywhere close
    Snatch
    70x1
    74x
    74x
    70x1
    74x
    50 3x3
    60 x3
    Just really sucked,was doing all kinds of weird technical errors

Clean and Jerk
    Up to 95, easy enough but the jerks were slow

Clean Pulls
    3x3 115

Saturday Morning

Had to front squat first this morning I dont usually do that,but I have to admit I liked it,had a very enjoyable session and came away with loads of pr's
    Front Squat
    120x
    125x1 (5kg pr)
    130x
    Kept losing tightness as I came out of the hole,missed 120 but knew I only lost it because I couldnt keep tight. Decided to borrow someones belt to try 125 and it just helped me out with 'feeling' tight. I'm not going to start using one to train,I was just really fatigued is all today so tried it out

Power Snatch
    To max: 70 (5kg pr) it was significantly above paralell
    75 was a snatch,was a bit ambitious anyway

Power Clean+ Power Jerk
    To max: 95 (5kg pr)
    The depth on the power clean was a little controversial but the power jerk was easy so i'm counting it

I got to the gym in tuesday morning this week,didnt get to post it till now

Didnt stretch at all,just ran in,hit the openers and left

Snatch
    2x1 70

Clean and Jerk
    90x1

Back Squat
    120x1

Thats the last session before I get to Malta.
    Just packing the bags now though,heading off on the bus tomorrow,we'll get a light session done in the training hall over here then the competition

Best of luck over there fella!

• Advertisement

Best of luck over there fella!

Thanks,the nerves havent started setting in just yet :p but by this time tomorrow i'll be shaking and everything

oooooooooooooooo gluck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Best of luck, hope it goes well!

Good luck dude!

oooooooooooooooo gluck!!
    Aspiring wrote: »
    Best of luck, hope it goes well!
    dylbert wrote: »
    Good luck dude!

Thanks Everyone! Starting to get nervous now,havent been on a plane in years

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Best of luck man.

Probably the best 2 days of my life!!

Had a quick light training session on the friday and went for a walk along the beach as well as swimming in the sea

Saturday
    Bodyweight: 68.18kg

Snatch: 70, 75, 80(2kg comp pr)
    Clean and Jerk: 90x, 90, 95
    Total: 175

Got really friendly with the turkish team over the 2 days aswell
    Place was full of world and european champions,was a little scary

Right So, been lying low ,recovering all week since malta.

Went for a run today. It was my first run in ages,probably since around november last year

30 minutes of a run. Probably around 5-5.5km judging from past experience
    Felt surprisingly good during it, and kept a pretty decent pace throughout.

I'm going to try do the same tomorrow if I can

Will resume lifting on wednesday

The DOMS from sundays run were unreal. I actually struggled to get out of bed yesterday morning. Had to sit down for the whole day because I was in so much pain.

The muscle pain really eased off this morning so I went for another run. This one was disappointing but much more like what I would have expected me to be like compared to sunday.

Stats: 4.77km, 32 minutes

Pretty terrible:(

First session back since Malta. Felt pretty rusty, And legs are still really sore from the running

So this is the start of a bodybuilding style program

Snatch
    5x3 60

Bench Press
    3x10 40

Bent Over Row
    3x10 50

Dips
    1x10
    8 + 2 negative phase only
    5 + 5 negatives

Wide Grip Pull Ups