Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building callouses and chasing goals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I havent posted in almost 2 weeks....
    Been training 4 times a week since then, sessions have been extremely boring bodybuilding style stuff, wasnt near a computer so didnt post them .
    Anyway

Saturday

Power Clean+Push Press+Pause Jerk
    (2,3,2)x4 65

Back Squat
    5x5 115

Glute ham raises
    4x8

RDL
    3x8 100
    1x8 120 (20kg more than ive ever done, could probably have squeezed out 2-3 more reps)

Leg Curls
    4x8

Thinking of signing up for a squat competition on october the 8th in galway,I think its just a small event but sure if I like the experience then I might try my hand at a proper comp

Again havent been posting, this current programme has me pretty unmotivated. That an college are crushing me currently. Will hopefully get back to posting my sessions properly soon.

On a good note though; my pullups have dramatically improved along with my bench and overhead pressing. Snatch technique is feeling okay despite the muscle fatigue and tightness that setting in. Feel like I had a breakthrough with Push press this week too

Saturday

Power Clean+Push Press+Paused Jerk
    (2,3,2)x1 60, x2 65, x1 70

Back Squat
    5x5 120

Glute Ham raises
    4x8

RDL's
    2x8 120
    2x8 100
    These felt very heavy this week

Hamstring Curls
    4x8

Legs and lower back are absolutely crippled today

Deload week this week. Its basically the same programme as the last few weeks but minus 1 set and lighter weights

Monday

Muscle Snatch + Paused OHS
    (4,4)x4 40

Snatch
    4x3 50

DB bench
    3x8 15kg

PullUps
    3x8

Incline bench
    40x8
    45x8
    50x8

Bent Over Row
    3x8 60

Then did a bit of ego lifting
    Deadlift
    160x1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Deload week this week. Its basically the same programme as the last few weeks but minus 1 set and lighter weights

Then did a bit of ego lifting

I'd recommend leaving the ego lifting out of the rest of the week. The deload has a purpose and you might not see the need for it and have plenty in the tank to do some heavy deadlifts but every now and then just force yourself to take that rest. Particularly since you've a lot of college work going on that's not going to help in terms of fatigue management.

I'd recommend leaving the ego lifting out of the rest of the week. The deload has a purpose and you might not see the need for it and have plenty in the tank to do some heavy deadlifts but every now and then just force yourself to take that rest. Particularly since you've a lot of college work going on that's not going to help in terms of fatigue management.
    I really do need to learn to restrain myself with that kind of thing:P couldnt help doing it but will definitely refrain for the the rest of the week since it will be tough enough anyway since its still a pretty heavy week despite being a deload of sorts

I really do need to learn to restrain myself with that kind of thing:P couldnt help doing it but will definitely refrain for the the rest of the week since it will be tough enough anyway since its still a pretty heavy week despite being a deload of sorts

I know....I was the same and I used tell myself it was sort of resting. But when I did use the rests to just do some active recovery or a bit of mobility work, I really noticed the benefit

Had an extremely easy session last night, front squats felt much better,much less pain especially after I crushed the pain area with a lacrosse ball

Press in split+Overhead Split Squat
    (5,3)x4 20kg

Clean+Push Press+Paused Jerk
    (1,4,2)x3 60

Front Squat
    4x5 100

Bulgarian Split Squats
    2x8 30kg

Crunches
    3x10

Leg Extension
    3x8
    I absolutely hate these,they kill my legs

Friday

Power Snatch+Drop Snatch
    (3,3)x4 40

SnatchBalance
    4x5 50

Arnold Press(Seated)
    3x8 15kg

Pullups
    3x8

Dips
    3x8

LatPulldowns
    3x8 went heavier tha usual on these, my lats have gotten a lot stronger

leg extensions
    3x8

Did some fun snatch drill lifts at the end,

Snatch from start position to overhead without standing up??
    Basically you get into you starting position, Pull to your knee, the immediately go to full squat and pull the bar overhead. So you dont stand up the whole way on the pull???
    Up to 50kg
    I saw one of the turkish lifters doing it on youtube and thought it looked cool, your bar path has to be perfectly vertical to catch the bar though

Close Grip Snatch
    Up to 60x1
    These felt really awkward but fun,my snatch grip is really really narrow anyway though

Saturday

Power Clean+Push Press+Paused Jerk
    (2,3,2)x3 50

Squat
    4x5 120
    Just focused on doing on every rep absolutely perfect, thing I did a pretty good job,im feeling really confident with my squats these days

RDl
    3x8 100

Glute ham raise
    2x8
    1x8 with 10kg plate

Leg Curls
    3x8

Im thinking i might try wearing a belt for this competition, so im going to try out a friends one next saturday while squatting and decide If it might be to my advantage to wear it then for the comp. Its a right stiff thing though and its pretty thick too ,it kinda hurts your ribs....

Be worth practising with beforehand. Plenty of people don't really know how to use it properly to begin with.

And some don't know how to use it properly a long time thereafter.

• Advertisement

Be worth practising with beforehand. Plenty of people don't really know how to use it properly to begin with.

And some don't know how to use it properly a long time thereafter.

Ya he said the same so im going to try it out in training next saturday and he'll make sure im using it right. If I dont feel any real advantage from it i'll just compete without one like i was originally planning

If you don't feel it's any advantage I'd venture you provably haven't been using it right...but it takes a bit of time and practice.

It's something that may well take longer than you have ahead of the comp but keep practicing and working on it.

If you don't feel it's any advantage I'd venture you provably haven't been using it right...but it takes a bit of time and practice.

It's something that may well take longer than you have ahead of the comp but keep practicing and working on it.

Ive only worn one like twice in my life and both times it was just a cheap thin one. It did help me out when I was squatting for high reps once, but im just wondering at how much it would help on a 1rm attempt for back squat since it know it really helped my front squat last time I tested that,and this is the perfecttime to try it out since I want to squeeze every kilo out of my squat at that comp.

Im going back to not wearing a belt afterwards though

Ive only worn one like twice in my life and both times it was just a cheap thin one. It did help me out when I was squatting for high reps once, but im just wondering at how much it would help on a 1rm attempt for back squat since it know it really helped my front squat last time I tested that,and this is the perfecttime to try it out since I want to squeeze every kilo out of my squat at that comp.

Im going back to not wearing a belt afterwards though

A thin flimsy one won't offer much support. A proper belt will. But how much that helps isn't a linear thing and like any tool, how useful it is depends on using it properly.

Worth reading this:

http://strengtheory.com/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/

A thin flimsy one won't offer much support. A proper belt will. But how much that helps isn't a linear thing and like any tool, how useful it is depends on using it properly.

Worth reading this:

http://strengtheory.com/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/

Thats a great article , all of his stuff is really well written!

I mainly dont wear one because I dont want to spend any more money on lifting equipment and because theyre another thing id have to shove into my tiny gear bag every training day

Thats a great article , all of his stuff is really well written!

I mainly dont wear one because I dont want to spend any more money on lifting equipment and because theyre another thing id have to shove into my tiny gear bag every training day

You don't need to always use it. I only use mine when I'm going to be going over a certain percentage.

There was a session on monday but it didnt go great,didnt get around to posting it

Wednesday evening

Went out tuesday night so was dead, all I ate yesterday was a bowl of cereal, could not possibly have felt more tired.
    All my olympic lifts went **** but then somehow I squatted really well

Jerk from head
    5x4 40
    I struggle to get the bar into position on these

Clean+JerkDip+Jerk
    4x2 90
    Missed 1 jerk, the whole thing just felt so so heavy and my technique was all over the place, really struggled to even stand up the cleans

Back Squats
    5x5 130
    2x140
    1x145

I was so exhausted that I couldnt keep tight so I stuck on a belt ,The reps all felt pretty routine, 140 was meant for a single but I just went ahead and did a double

Was extremely tight,could barely move today I was so tight and yet snatches went really well today

Snatch from hip,Snatch
    (2,1)x4 62.5

Snatch
    4x2 67.5

Bottom position arnold press
    4x6 7.5kg

Pullups
    3x10

YTWL's
    5,5,5,5 x4

Had a pretty good session, squats were heavy but I got through it, power cleans felt very heavy and sloppy though

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    5x2 85

Back Squat
    5x5 130
    1x140
    1x145
    The singles were very slow this time but thats because my legs were wiped from the 5x5

RDL
    4x6 120
    Pretty big volume pr here, felt really strong but the last set was tough

Deadbugs
    20x3
    Dont really do much ab work so these were pretty tough

• Advertisement

Mondays session itself went fairly well but the aftermath was awful. I had this insane crash after training, I think it was from exhaustion. I could barely feel my legs all evening afterwards and I had these sharp red hot pains in my muscles for hours.
    Literally couldnt function yesterday either as I was in some serious pain all over. Today Im almost past it but not quite...Wont be training this evening unfortunately because its still too bad and I need to recover before the comp
    4 assignments due this week as well so timing could not have been worse

Power Snatch+Overhead Squat
    (1,1)x3 x5 60
    Really bad,couldnt get any speed

Snatch
    4x2 70
    Way better than the powers,had a few really good reps

Snatch First Pull
    5x5 90

Snatch grip strict press from behind the head...
    6x20
    6x25
    6x30
    5x32.5

Snatch Grip Upright Rows
    4x6 70

Dips
    4x6

So today was a pretty big day, Had the IDFPA single lifts squat comp today.

Genuinely thought id struggle with my opener and considered lowering it originally due to the week from hell that ive had but what actually happened was crazy.

Went 3/3 ,got a massive pr and best of all did it easy!!

Bodyweight: 71.5kg
    Lighter than expected, competed in the 75kg class

Attempt 1: 145kg

Attempt 2: 152.5kg (2.5kg)

Attempt 3: 160kg (10kg pr)

Knew after the second attempt that there was absolutely no doubt that I was getting the 160 but I didnt expect it just fly up so easy!!

Video coming soon

Here the 160kg squat

First session in a while,actually went really well but im so tired now. My energy levels have been hit really hard over the last while

Power Snatch+OverHead Squat
    4x3 60

Much higher powers than usual

Snatch High Pull+Snatch
    4x2 70
    Felt really good, missed 1 but other than that got them all

Snatch First Pull
    5x5 85
    These are brutal

Snatch Grip Strict Press
    4x6 30

Upright Row
    4x6 40

Dips
    4x6

Really difficult session yesterday, im not used to all these heavy olympic lifts anymore

Jerk from Head
    4x50
    4x4 55
    I find these to be very difficult

Clean+Jerk Dip+Jerk
    4x2 92.5
    Missed the last jerk. THey all felt really strong though especially the cleans

Did miss a clean though where I pulled the bar back on myself. got spat out from underneath it and flew about a metre back through the air and landed straight on my tailbone.....im in agony today

Front Squat
    5x5 115
    Missed the very last rep. Havent front squatted in like a month so they felt awful

Ab Rollouts
    3x12
    Ive gotten way better at these

FRIDAY

Lot of snatches in this session and they were some of my best yet

Hip Snatch +Snatch
    (2,1)x3 67.5kg
    Really quick underneath and super smooth on the lockout

Snatch
    5x2 70
    1x75
    Same as earlier just felt so smooth

Snatch Balance+Overhead Squat
    (1,3)x3 72.5

Arnold Press in Squat
    4x6 7.5kg

Pullups
    3x10

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLl26FLjA0D/?taken-by=emcd1_&hl=en

• Advertisement

SATURDAY

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    3x2 90
    Tailbone was pretty sore which didnt help

Back Squat
    5x5 135 just missed the very lastrep

RDL
    2x6 120
    1x6 130

Back Extensions
    3x15

Monday

Power Snatch+OverHead Squat
    4x3 70
    This thats a PR triple on powers:P

Snatch High Pull+Snatch
    5x2 75

Missed about 3 snatches but retook them,technique was a bit off ,kept leaving them in front, think it was partly from all the volume before them

Snatch First Pull
    5x5 90

Upright Row
    4x6 40

Klokov Press
    2x6 30
    2x6 32.5

Dips
    3x6

Absolutely wrecked this morning, Played way too much Resident Evil last night and couldnt sleep afterwards....

Wednesday

Very very heavy session ,didnt get it all done as well as I would have liked but it was okay

Jerk from head
    5x4 50

Clean+Jerk Dip+Jerk
    1x100 (missed the second rep on the clean)
    2x100
    1x100(missed the second jerk but got the second clean and dip)
    1x100(finished with a single)

They were very heavy,came close to getting a double on the 3rd set and got it on the 2nd, but im not too disappointed since its really heavy and I wasnt feeling very energetic anyway

Front Squat
    5x120
    5x90
    5x95
    Just wasnt able for front squat,my back was killing me during them

Overhead Split Squats
    4x6 30

Ab rollouts
    2x12

Friday

I essentially did 2 session on friday because I went out to the football teams training session to demonstrate sprint drills because my coach also coaches them. Ended up basically doing their whole session aswell

Hip Snatch + Snatch
    (2,1)x3 70

Snatch
    4x2 75
    Took a lot of attempts to get these, technique really wasnt good

Sprint Drills and 20m Sprints

Front Squat
    130x1

Pullups
    3x10

Bench Press
    60x4 (pretty big pr)

RDL
    2x6 80
    1x6 100

Bottom position Arnold
    4x6 5kg

Mobility

Saturday

Power Clean+Power Jerk

8x1 95

The cleans werent really powers but the jerks were really easy, so solid

Back Squat
    120x3
    130x3
    140x1

Back was really sore,couldnt squat

RDl
    4x6 90
    Started them from the floor this time for a change

Clean Pulls
    80x5
    3x3 100
    1x3 120

• Advertisement

SnatchHigh Pull+ Power Snatch+Overhead Squat
    3x1 65

Felt slow crappy while wqarming up,could already tell today wouldnt be a good training day

Snatch
    2 out of 5 attempts at 75. Absolutely pathetic attempt at snatching tonight

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    2x2 85
    2x1 90
    95x
    Caught the bar funny on the clean and got really faint, if i was allowed another try I would have gotten it easily

Back Squat
    3x3 140 (pr for 3rm)

Strict Press
    5x45 (5kg pr on 5rm)

Wednesday

Much much improved session over monday's
    Still wasnt the best or the heaviest but thats grand

Power Snatch
    4x1 70
    They were all definite powers this time, and they felt pretty easy

Clean and Jerk
    2x1 90
    2x1 95
    Missed first two attempts at 95 because I kept getting dizzy when I stood up the clean, went and got a sugary drink into me and came back and got my two singles easy. Cleans were extremely tidy ,much better than usual

Snatch Pulls
    5x3 90
    Oh how I've missed these!!

Glute ham raises
    3x8

ReverseCrunches
    3x10

Actually had a really good session today, still a little tired so cleans were sloppy but got through them all

Power Snatch+Snatch
    Up to ps max
    Up to 75kg

Snatch
    3x1 80
    Feltreally good today,first rep was forward but each rep was nicer than the one before it,3rd one was perfect

Clean and Jerk
    2x90
    1x3 95
    1x100
    Cleans were sloppy but I got them all,missed the first clean attempt at 100 so did it again

Clean Pulls
    3x3 130
    Felt pretty explosive

GHR
    3x5 with 15kg plate

Reverse crunches
    3x10

Trained in the warehouse gym today,want a change of scenery for a session
    Had a pretty brutal session, it was long and very hard. Missed a few of my heaviest reps but for the most part I was lifting well

Snatch High Pull+Power Snatch+Overhead Squat
    5x1 70
    Felt pretty good here, but was already out of breath, session was long so I didnt get a chance to take proper breaks between sets like usual

Snatch
    2x65
    1x70
    3x1 75
    80x
    Lost the 80 behind as I was standing up

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    2x2 85
    2x2 90
    2x95
    100x
    was pretty dead by the time I got to attempt 100

Back Squat
    3x3 150 missed the very last rep
    4x140

Strict Press
    3x5 40
    My entire body was just fried at this point

Had a good session,almost a perfect one for a change. Got all the reps and some extra:p

Power Snatch
    3x1 70
    2x1 75
    First attempt at 75 while it was good wasnt aggressive enough so I took it again and got a much more convincing lift on the second go

Clean and Jerk
    2x1 90
    1x95
    2x1 100
    x105
    Probably shouldnt have tried 105,jerks were feeling very heavy ,but the 100 felt pretty good

Snatch Pulls
    4x3 90
    1x3 92.5
    Trying to pull them as if Im about to snatch it

Glute ham raise
    6x6

Deadlift
    Up to 170x1
    It was so so sloooooow and grindy,I'd say it was horrible to watch

Saturday

Had a pretty unbelievable session that evening, atmosphere was really good ,very intense,it really drove me on

Snatch FBK
    2x2 65
    1x2 70
    2x1 75
    2x1 80

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    2x2 85
    1x2 90
    2x2 95
    1x2 100 (think its a pr 2rm)
    These were all so so easy and smooth,cleans were controversial for depth though

Front Squat
    3x3 130 (5kg pr on 3rm)
    Real fast,very little grind

Felt absolutely terrible this morning when I got to the gym, hadnt even come close to fully recovering after last nights session
    Still got on pretty well in the end though

Power Snatch+Snatch
    (1,1)
    Up to 75kg
    80x

Snatch
    2x1 80
    Missed the third attempt

Hips were so tight that I couldnt really snatch and the bar kept going really far forward

Clean and Jerk
    Up to 80kg
    Then missed 90 repeatedly, couldnt for the life of me coordinate a split jerk this morning,so I switched to power jerks

Clean and Power Jerk
    1x2 90
    1x1 95
    2x1 100
    1x1 105
    xx110
    Once I switched the jerks just flew. Cleans however were very rough

Clean Pulls
    3x120
    3x130
    3x3 140
    Felt pretty strong on these,

RDL's
    4x6 100

Monday

Had an alright session,hit some nice snatches and the squats were decent but everything else was pretty shaky

Power Snatch
    3x2 65 Felt like a warmup

Snatch
    40x3
    45x3
    50x3
    60x2
    70x2
    75x1
    80x1
    82.5x1
    85x1 (2.5kg pr)
    They were pretty rock solid, have loads more in the tank thats for definite

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    40x3
    60x2
    80x2
    90x2
    95x1
    100x2
    102.5x
    Didnt feel very strong on these today,warmup was too quick,my technique felt off and my pull felt weak

Back Squat
    Up to a 4 rep max
    150x4(same as my 3x3)
    155x1
    Should probably have been able to do more but I was tired

Strict Press
    5x45
    2x5 40

Wednesday
    Had an alright session,it started off well but the secon half wasnt as good

Power Snatch
    3x1 75
    Some of the best and easiest powers ive ever done

Clean and Jerk
    90x1
    100xx
    The cleans were really good but the jerks werent even close,was meant to hit 110

Snatch Pulls
    5x3 95
    Felt pretty fast,feel like I could snatch 90

Ghr
    3x8

So tonight was a pretty unbelievable night. I came in feeling good,my technique felt amazing,hit the best snatches off my life, was meant to do 100℅ for a single but went well past that just because you never know when you'll feel this good again

Snatch
    3x1 80
    3x1 82.5
    1x85
    1x87.5
    1x90 (5kg pr)
    Did them as waves,went up and down a few times. overall I did about 35 warm-up snatches and absolutely huge number.
    The 90kg absolutely flew!! Caught it high and got a really secure lockout,a real no nonsense lift

Power Clean +Power Jerk
    2x1 100
    Very easy

Front Squat
    135x2(5kg pr on 2rm)
    Pretty disappointed with these,should have had it for 3 easy,was hoping to get a chance at 140

• Advertisement

As expected today wasnt the best session, was just tired from last nights lasting. Couldnt keep enough tightness in my back to lock out my snatches and cleans felt heavy

Power Snatch +Snatch
    3x1 75
    Missed two attempts behind but retook them

Clean and Jerk
    90x1
    95x1
    100x1
    105x1
    110xx
    actually got a solid enough 105 for the first time in a while. Missed 110 twice on the clean,pulled it but didnt even try to go under, had to toughen up and just commit to it. Jerks just didnt go up., they felt good all the way though the warmups though so thats good

Clean Pulls
    3x3 140
    Im hoping doing these heavy will help strengthen my pull which is definitely my weak point

Press In split
    2x5 30
    1x5 35

Ghr
    3x8
    Crunches
    3x12

Had a pretty decent session yesterday, wasmeant to snatch 90 again but It was probably a bit too soon again,I got close though

Power Snatch
    Up to 1x75
    Felt like a light warmup,I had a lot of speed in these

Snatch
    Up to 87.5x1
    90x
    Bar was going a little forward on me, technique wasnt as good as the previous night when I snatched 90

Power Clean +Power Jerk
    Up to 105x1

Clean +PowerJerk
    110x1 matches my best split jerk except Ive done this much more recently

Back Squat
    2x2 140
    Very light,no bother at all

Heres the 87.5kg snatch

Might talk to my coach about switching to powerJerk soon,it just seems to be working way better for me at the moment

Had a good session tonight, at least for the next while im going to use powers as my main jerk style since as of this moment its far more consistent

Snatch
    2x1 80
    1x1 85
    Not bad at all, missed an attempt at 85,it crashed on my elbows but it was solid next time

Clean and Jerk
    1x100
    Pretty solid, felt like a light warmup

Front Squat
    1x130
    Nice and light

Front Squat
    1x130
    Nice and light

When I grow up, I want to be able to say that.

I know right

When I grow up, I want to be able to say that.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I know right

Front squats are one of the few things im actually good at:D:D
    Besides Im pretty sure its just because of how many cleans I do every week aswell,theres a lot of volume when you add those too

Saturday

This was meant to be max out session. I was meant to hit a 200kg total that day and that was before I got any pr's but I didnt even get close. Had a terrible session. Bar was swinging our forward,I wasnt staying over it, wasnt quick enough under on the cleans

Snatch
    Up to85x1, It was a really crappy rep

Clean and Jerk
    105x1
    Missed a 110 clean about 5 times by the time I finally got the clean I was so gassed out I couldnt get the jerk

Wednesday

We were told since saturday went bad we could have a redo on wednesday. Caught a cold over the weekend,couldnt shake it,loads of assignments aswell. Was going to skip the gym I felt so bad, but I went and hit some massive pr's lol

Snatch
    80x1
    85xx
    the 80 felt routine, wasnt really trying to go real heavy on these ,at this point I was still thinking to myself that I wasnt going to max out because I didnt feel well enough

Clean and (Power)Jerk
    105x1
    110x1
    115x1 (5kg pr)
    120x(1,0) 10kg pr on my clean

The 115 was really easy,the jerk flew.On the 120 though I caught the clean stood to paralell,then fell back into the hole and had to stand it up again from a dead stop so i was absolutely dead by the time I had to attempt to jerk it. Felt terrible afterwards

Last session I think until after my exams, going to take the much needed break to allow me to study even more

Snatch
    80x1

Clean +Squat jerk
    90x1
    95x

Arms
    Cable curls 3x8
    Tricep pressdowns 3x8

Back
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Bent over row 3x8 60

• Advertisement