Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interclub Comps 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan beat Hermitage 3-2 in the preliminary round of the Barton Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate are playing away v New Forest in the Barton Cup so that's 3 pairs away for us and 2 pairs at home. 18th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Clearly the wrong audience to post this to but hey...have to say I could never warm to inter club or get any interest in it. I know I'm well in the minority in this. Reading thru the posts here it's obvious fellas get really energised by it and love it.

I always just found it a bit excessive and over the top; trials and practice matches and dinners afterwards and such. I don't mind putting all the preparation in but for my own Matchplay in the club or the singles comps. Winning for the club and all that? Meh.

I've always turned down any team offers because of work but, honestly, it's a convenient excuse. Give me a good scratch cup or a singles open any day.

totally in the same boat, turned down the interest that came my way when asked would i play interclub stuff after getting to the final of the irish open matchplay this year. this year its topgolfer events and another go at the irish open matchplay, wana try win another scratch cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round always heralds the start of the season for me.

We have Malahide this afternoon, I am playing away and the nerves are already kicking in. Unlike previous posters I love inter club competitions, I seem to play more consistant in them, I think it is having a partner to curb my aggressiveness helps my game, stops me going for everything.

Beautiful day for it.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round alway heralds the start of the season for me.

We have Malahide this afternoon, I am playing away and the nerves are already kicking in. Unlike previous posters I love inter club competitions, I seem to play more consistant in them, I think it is having a partner to curb my aggressiveness helps my game, shops me going for everything.

Beautiful day for it.

J

Good luck J, nerves are a good thing.

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round always heralds the start of the season for me. We have Malahide this afternoon.

Great game today, very competitive. We won one away and two at home so through to the next round.

J

Anybody managing a team this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan beat Carton House in the 1st round of the mixed Foursomes

Millicent beat Moate in the 1st round of mixed foursomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Mount Wolsley beat Blessington Lakes in the Barton Cup 3 2.With the lakside men having 3 matches away it was always going to be tough. Blessington lakes won one at home and one away with of 2 the other matches being in doubt till the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Anybody managing a team this year?

Managing our Barton cup team. We are out Saturday so I could be out of a job Sunday.

^ Who are you managing / playing against yettie1701?

^ Who are you managing / playing against yettie1701?

Managing Gowran Park. Playing Kilkenny who would be our closest neighbours. We are away in three of the matches so will be very much up against it. We were in there playing this evening.

Best of luck. I'm managing this team in Moate. We are away to New Forest on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Playing Barton Cup on Sunday away, practice with my partner this evening and we played relatively well 3 birds but 4 db's. Tough game foursomes but looking forward to the challenge

• Advertisement

Best of luck. I'm managing this team in Moate. We are away to New Forest on Saturday.
    Best of luck to you too. Let us know how you get on

mafc wrote: »
    Playing Barton Cup on Sunday away, practice with my partner this evening and we played relatively well 3 birds but 4 db's. Tough game foursomes but looking forward to the challenge
    Best of luck. Who are you playing for and against who. Birdies should more than likely win holes for you. A double will loose a hole probably. But that's the great thing about match play if you loose a hole it's over move on to the next. The key to foursomes IMO is fairways and greens.

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Best of luck. Who are you playing for and against who. Birdies should more than likely win holes for you. A double will loose a hole probably. But that's the great thing about match play if you loose a hole it's over move on to the next. The key to foursomes IMO is fairways and greens.

Thanks, playing for Cill Dara v Mullingar.

mafc wrote: »
    Thanks, playing for Cill Dara v Mullingar.
    Good luck Mafc, come on the nine holers

Blessington Lakes well beaten By Druids Heath today in the Provincial Towns. The Lakes had 4 at home but only won 2. The Heath won the 1st 2 at home and one of the remaining 3 shortly after to close out the win.

• Advertisement

New Forest 3-2 Moate in Barton Cup today. Defeat on my managerial debut. New Forest played well but we were very unlucky, won 2 away but couldn't get a win at home.

New Forest 3-2 Moate in Barton Cup today. Defeat on my managerial debut. New Forest played well but we were very unlucky, won 2 away but couldn't get a win at home.
    That's a right sickner to win two away and not go through. Hard luck. Gowran beat kilkenny 3-2 we won two away and got one at home on the 18th go sneak through. Playing Enniscorthy or Mount Juliet in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Blessington Lakes well beaten By Druids Heath today in the Provincial Towns. The Lakes had 4 at home but only won 2. The Heath won the 1st 2 at home and one of the remaining 3 shortly after to close out the win.
    Unlucky we don't start until 3rd round

Anyone else get nervous for these matches ? I do and always have, not sure why either as I live them.

I have 2 hours until I tee off in a Metro Cup match and my stomach is doing summersaults already !

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Anyone else get nervous for these matches ? I do and always have, not sure why either as I live them.

I have 2 hours until I tee off in a Metro Cup match and my stomach is doing summersaults already !

J

I'm the exact same.
    Playing barton cup in a few hours.
    I hate waiting around all day to play them, I'm a morning player so all this waiting around gets me worked up

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

J

Absolutely, and it's not like its the final round of the Masters. The waiting around is the worst part. Once you're out there you'll be grand.

Best of luck today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Just before i tee off and then the nervs are gone enjoy it whats the worst that can happen

15 years of interclubs and the first time I have ever had my ass handed to me. 6:5 and it could have worse.

And I didn't play that bad !!!

Got through in Barton Cup against Mullingar, won our two home matches and sneaked one away.
    Lost our own match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Anyone know who won between Kileen Castle and Tara in Barton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Anyone know who won between Castle and Citywest in the Barton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Anyone know who won between Castle and Citywest in the Barton?

Castle won 3-2. 2 of the matches went to the 20th hole,with castle nicking both,one controversial moment in a citywest match where a lad from citywest was accused of touching the putting line when his partner was up..castle apparently claimed the hole. It was on the 17th. It was a/s at the time!!!

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Castle won 3-2. 2 of the matches went to the 20th hole,with castle nicking both,one controversial moment in a citywest match where a lad from citywest was accused of touching the putting line when his partner was up..castle apparently claimed the hole. It was on the 17th. It was a/s at the time!!!
    Ha that sounds like a lively tie! The auld controversy is always great.

We (Bray) beat Castlewarden 3.5 - 1.5 so will be up against the Castle next. Are you involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Corrstown the defending champions in Barton Cup had a 4-1 win against Castleknock...

Hoping for 2 in a row....

Dunmurry springs knocked out Carlow and Bunclody hammered St Helen's Bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Beech park beat Lucan 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Castlebarna lost 4-1 to Moyvalley. Had a great game myself but missed an 8 foot putt on the last for a half. Hit the back of the hole and stayed out, just too hard. Always enjoy the interclub matches, even when beaten. Moyvalley were great hosts and the course was in great nick. Best of luck to them in the next round.

Lost my away match yesterday mainly down to putting, the course we played was in awful condition, greens where pole forked a few days beforehand, bunkers had more stones than sand and two of the par 3 tee off areas where on mats where you couldn't even pierce it to put a tee into it,absolute shambles and should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sailing

Lost my away match yesterday mainly down to putting, the course we played was in awful condition, greens where pole forked a few days beforehand, bunkers had more stones than sand and two of the par 3 tee off areas where on mats where you couldn't even pierce it to put a tee into it,absolute shambles and should not be allowed.

Was it not the same for both teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Ha that sounds like a lively tie! The auld controversy is always great.

We (Bray) beat Castlewarden 3.5 - 1.5 so will be up against the Castle next. Are you involved?

No just a spectator in citywest..castle have a good side but beatable..

sailing wrote: »
    Was it not the same for both teams?

The advantage is always going to be with the home team as they have the experience of playing the course over many rounds, the team we played had also played the tournament in the morning so where a lot more equipped to dealing with the greens than we were.
    As for playing off the mats, the advantage is again with the home team as they would have played off the mats many times and the fact you couldn't put a tee in it was ridiculous and off putting when you just arrive on a tee and see a mat there.
    the bunkers they play out of week in week out and have managed to adjust to it ,again it is off putting with all the stones.
    My main issue is a team coming from a course in good condition and having to play a course on par with a mediocre pitch and putt set up, where quality and skill does not come out on top.
    The 2 par 3s with mats where a shock to us on the day as they where never in play on practice day and where so much further back we never would have found them in anyway.
    I understand we all come from different type and quality of courses but I feel the condition of the course on the day played directly to the home teams hands and the pole forking could have waited a week surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The advantage is always going to be with the home team as they have the experience of playing the course over many rounds, the team we played had also played the tournament in the morning so where a lot more equipped to dealing with the greens than we were.
    As for playing off the mats, the advantage is again with the home team as they would have played off the mats many times and the fact you couldn't put a tee in it was ridiculous and off putting when you just arrive on a tee and see a mat there.
    the bunkers they play out of week in week out and have managed to adjust to it ,again it is off putting with all the stones.
    My main issue is a team coming from a course in good condition and having to play a course on par with a mediocre pitch and putt set up, where quality and skill does not come out on top.
    The 2 par 3s with mats where a shock to us on the day as they where never in play on practice day and where so much further back we never would have found them in anyway.
    I understand we all come from different type and quality of courses but I feel the condition of the course on the day played directly to the home teams hands and the pole forking could have waited a week surely.

Every home course is playing into the home teams hands no matter what the conditions though.

Matts are a shocker of course but what can you do? These things are going to happen in inter club comps.

Did yous win your home ties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Wow that's an impressive list of excuses.
    Skill does comp out on top in those conditions, the skill is question is the ability to adapt, those who can't or won't adapt and act like prima donnas usually lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Played a warm up match with Old Conna and Woodbrook - Foursomes format..
    2 points for a win... Woodbrook had 10 points We ( delgany ) had 8 , Old conna 6 points.

My match we were 5 down, came back to win 2 & 1 ..... Unreal buzz

Wow that's an impressive list of excuses.
    Skill does comp out on top in those conditions, the skill is question is the ability to adapt, those who can't or won't adapt and act like prima donnas usually lose.

It comes down to pure luck on them greens not skill buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

It comes down to pure luck on them greens not skill buddy.
    Yes of course it does, especially when you lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Lisheen Springs bt Charlesland 4-1 on Saturday in Barton. Beech Park up next

Yes of course it does, especially when you lose.
    Ah that's a bit harsh. There is defo a big advantage to the home club in the conditions mentioned.

What was the club in question?

We played Castlewarden on Sunday and the place was lovely. Looking forward to taking on the Castle now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Connacht Branch Year book available for collection from Castlebar by clubs from today 21st. April according to email received.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

updated draw sheet for the barton cup, with all the results in from the weekend
    http://leinster.intelligentgolf.ie/knockout.php?compid=44&admin=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement