Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorance to Horse Sport

• 05-01-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the NatGeo article on endurance? More particularly, has anyone seen the comments on this? Is the world really this ignorant of the sport? Is there anything we can do to change this or do we just put up and shut up and focus on clearing out the actual cruelty cases ourselves? I've seen it, not just for endurance but just about all sports in the equine sphere.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvements in most sports. I'm just surprised because I would have considered endurance one of the most far ahead in this aspect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Oh god, comments like those actually depress me. You will probably never change the general public's opinion on horse sport, most people seem to view horses as cuddly pets to be babied, not working animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

Whatever about horses they're fine animals, but as a taxpayer, I'm appalled the way our taxes are wasted on subsidising racing, race courses etc... This self sustaining business needs no leg up from already hard pressed tax payers with USC etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Whatever about horses they're fine animals, but as a taxpayer, I'm appalled the way our taxes are wasted on subsidising racing, race courses etc... This self sustaining business needs no leg up from already hard pressed tax payers with USC etc.

1. There's a racing forum to take this up with
    2. We're all tax payers
    3. Racing is something the Irish are extremely successful in. Your taxes would be a lot higher without the revenue it brings in.
    4. All sports get funding from the government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This kind of ignorance is something like what I've been talking about though. I'm literally just after reading comments on another article where hunting hounds were called onto a dual carriageway by people protesting the hunt, endangering the lives of the hounds, the huntsmen and the drivers. And yet the hunt took the blame for it and the number of comments saying that it's a pity the people on the horses weren't hit. This was in England too, where it had to be a drag race so the comments regarding cruelty to foxes were unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

to compensate for removal of taxpayer subsudies to the horse and dog racing industries (NOTE: not sport), then reverse the McCreevy decision some years ago. VAT @23% on Bets and race course entry. That means only those interested in racing need to worry about being taxed.
    Sounds fair enough as this industry is self sufficient. Not a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

to compensate for removal of taxpayer subsudies to the horse and dog racing industries (NOTE: not sport), then reverse the McCreevy decision some years ago. VAT @23% on Bets and race course entry. That means only those interested in racing need to worry about being taxed.
    Sounds fair enough as this industry is self sufficient. Not a sport.

what do you do for a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Scanlavia, it's not normally permitted to have a post containing the same information/with the same point in two separate does. I've deleted your post in Horse Racing, not least because it was in a thread to which it had no relevance.

IF I'm to leave your post here, you will need to engage rationally and explain and back up your argument rather thAn just simply saying funding should be removed from equestrian sports. Secondly, as you seem to focus just on racing than equestrian sports, it may be a case that your posts are better suited to the Hr forum, but you would need to start a thread rather than just hijacking any thread to vent. If that's the case, then your posts here will need to be considered.

Think about it and let me know your decision. You can either post here or PM me with your decision.

As for all other users, let's keep this as a discussion and keep our heads.

Advertisement