Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camp work for females - fort mac?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is possible? Myself and himself would love to give fort mac a go for a few months but I don't fancy being based in the town alone while he is off at camp. We will eventually move to calgary and he will do stints from there all going well..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Yes there is females in camp up here. The majority of females in Camp are Heavy Equipment Operators for Syncrude / Suncor. There is a few camps so depending what company you get a camp job with its down to them on what camp you go to, it isn't pick and choose. The odds of getting into the same camp as your other half would be slim unless you worked for the same company as him.

At the present time getting work in Fortmac won't be easy, the oil prices have dropped to a painful $50 a barrel and thus the oil companies up here are putting big projects on hold until the prices go back up again so there is a lot of layoffs. It was even on the news today there will be a lot more layoffs happening soon.

What is your Profession btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Yes there is females in camp up here. The majority of females in Camp are Heavy Equipment Operators for Syncrude / Suncor. There is a few camps so depending what company you get a camp job with its down to them on what camp you go to, it isn't pick and choose. The odds of getting into the same camp as your other half would be slim unless you worked for the same company as him.

At the present time getting work in Fortmac won't be easy, the oil prices have dropped to a painful $50 a barrel and thus the oil companies up here are putting big projects on hold until the prices go back up again so there is a lot of layoffs. It was even on the news today there will be a lot more layoffs happening soon.

What is your Profession btw?

Agreed. It's not a good time to be looking for work in Fort Mc, especially if you're a TFW. Good luck though.

Are you looking to actually work in a camp?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

I would just like to back EI-DOR's post... The chances of getting a job on a camp are pretty slim at this particular moment in time. Work has dried up drastically and companies are laying a lot of folk off. The company i am with were hiring people every week up until October. Since mid November they have been letting people go weekly in order to make cuts. A lot of pipeline jobs have came to a halt and nobody knows what the future holds short term. There are still jobs around the major cities but unfortunately most are 40 hours a week which to some is perfect but to those like me looking to make big coin isn't much good. I can see the next couple of months being the same but the prices will go back up again and a result chances of work will rise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Thanks a mill folks. Think we'll go back to our original olan of Calgary for the first few months until things improve in FM

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

gg2 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill folks. Think we'll go back to our original olan of Calgary for the first few months until things improve in FM

Can't say I understand why you seem to have your heart set on Fort McMurray - It's a real ****hole ! .:)

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    Can't say I understand why you seem to have your heart set on Fort McMurray - It's a real ****hole ! .:)

Different strokes for different folks! I can't remember where I said anything about it, only that we wanted to give it a go, for money making purposes alone. That ok?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

we wanted to give it a go, for money making purposes alone.

Good luck with that .......

Good luck with that .......

Sorry but,the 2 posts you have directed at me that have undertones of..... being a bit dickish to be honest. Any particular reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sorry but,the 2 posts you have directed at me that have undertones of..... being a bit dickish to be honest. Any particular reason??

It's just his nature. All of his posts are a bit "dickish".

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Say that to the people who live here and see how you get on. Not a thing wrong with Fortmac, it's had it's rough days but it's growing. Downtown doesn't look much but Timberlea / Thickwood are very nice to stay uptown.

The new apartments being built in Timberlea will have a new 3D Cinema in it along with new shops!

On days off there isn't much to do, just have to go exploring elsewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement