Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Éireann - buying Dublin-Newry ticket at Busaras

• 05-01-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭

It seems that because there is a codeshare arrangement with Ulsterbus, I cannot purchase a ticket from Dublin to Newry online.

So, could anyone tell me if I can purchase the ticket a few days in advance at Busaras, or must I buy it on the day of travel?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, could anyone tell me if I can purchase the ticket a few days in advance at Busaras, or must I buy it on the day of travel?
    I suspect you can, but I don't think there is any advantage in doing so. You might have to go to a cashier - aim for an off-peak time if possible. Make sure you get a ticket for the day you intend to travel, not the date of purchase.

Note that you must travel outward on the date on the ticket and tickets can only be used once in each direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Geog1234

Yep it's possible to purchase tickets in advance from the ticket vending machines in Busáras but the fare is exactly the same as buying it on the day of travel.

Offhand I think the ticket can be bought for the five following days i.e. buying on a Sunday I think you can get a ticket up until and including Friday.

The ticket vending machines have pretty much all destinations on them - from Cork city to the outpost of Blacksod in Co. Mayo - so Newry should be on the list.

If buying on the day of travel the ticket can be bought from one of the ticket windows or from the machines.

Hope this helps and that the trip goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Yep it's possible to purchase tickets in advance from the ticket vending machines in Busáras but the fare is exactly the same as buying it on the day of travel.

Offhand I think the ticket can be bought for the five following days i.e. buying on a Sunday I think you can get a ticket up until and including Friday.

The ticket vending machines have pretty much all destinations on them - from Cork city to the outpost of Blacksod in Co. Mayo - so Newry should be on the list.

If buying on the day of travel the ticket can be bought from one of the ticket windows or from the machines.

Hope this helps and that the trip goes well.

Thanks very much for the info.

I'm just so used to buying tickets online that this anomaly really threw me!

I want to buy ahead just to be sure I will get a seat really. But it's a pain having to actually go there to do it.

Hope I get a seat on the way back with a return ticket, and it's not full from Belfast though. Maybe I am overthinking it all!!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A ticket on Bus Eireann is valid on any service on the day you book it for, rather than a specific departure - they don't do seat reservations.

It's basically first come first served, not that I would expect there to be an issue getting on board any departure.

So I'm not sure why you see any advantage in collecting the ticket in advance?

lxflyer wrote: »
    A ticket on Bus Eireann is valid on any service on the day you book it for, rather than a specific departure - they don't do seat reservations.

It's basically first come first served, not that I would expect there to be an issue getting on board any departure.

So I'm not sure why you see any advantage in collecting the ticket in advance?

Hi,

Are you actually saying, that if I buy a ticket a day or two ahead, that I am not guaranteed a seat?

Obviously not, if tickets are valid for all departures on a particular day!

That sounds daft, if you forgive me for saying so.

So even if I COULD buy a ticket online for any other service, I am still not guaranteed a seat? What happens then?

Sorry, there must be some way that a passenger can buy a ticket for a particular departure that reserves the seat.

Maybe the computer systems cannot cope with that or something.,

I think I'll try the train... but the station is a bit far from the town.

I'm not getting at you personally, but honestly... why would you take the chance of arriving at Busaras to be told that the bus is full for the "10am" departure, sorry, you will have to wait for the next bus.

That is a bit daft IMV anyway.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Are you actually saying, that if I buy a ticket a day or two ahead, that I am not guaranteed a seat?

Obviously not, if tickets are valid for all departures on a particular day!

That sounds daft, if you forgive me for saying so.

So even if I COULD buy a ticket online for any other service, I am still not guaranteed a seat? What happens then?

Sorry, there must be some way that a passenger can buy a ticket for a particular departure that reserves the seat.

Maybe the computer systems cannot cope with that or something.,

I think I'll try the train... but the station is a bit far from the town.

I'm not getting at you personally, but honestly... why would you take the chance of arriving at Busaras to be told that the bus is full for the "10am" departure, sorry, you will have to wait for the next bus.

That is a bit daft IMV anyway.

Eh, I'm not sure how else I can put this.

No Bus Eireann service anywhere in the country has seat reservations.

It is first come first served.

But the likelihood of ever being denied boarding on an Expressway service is slim enough, as there will rarely be more people there than the coach can cope with, particularly on the Belfast route.

I really don't think you will have anything to worry about.

But in the unlikely event of that happening, then yes, you have to wait for the next departure.

Eh, I'm not sure how else I can put this.

No Bus Eireann service anywhere in the country has seat reservations.

It is first come first served.

But the likelihood of ever being denied boarding on an Expressway service is slim enough, as there will rarely be more people there than the coach can cope with, particularly on the Belfast route.

I really don't think you will have anything to worry about.

But in the unlikely event of that happening, then yes, you have to wait for the next departure.

OK,

Just checked, and even the Go be Cork service is on a day basis, not a departure time basis.

No, sorry, there is no way in this day and age that I would risk not getting on board.

I don't know how people do this.

Maybe I am over cautious. But my time and my appointments at a certain time are precious. I would hate not to know whether I could board at the time I want or not.

As you say, it's RARELY a problem, but that is not the point is it?

Train for me now. Book a seat, get on, get your seat, guaranteed.

Thanks for the information anyway. Much appreciated.

Glad I posted the question now. The only reason I was taking the bus was because it stopped near the shopping centre.

I'm sure there is some connection to and from the train.

(and seems no codeshare problems with NI Railways either for online bookings!)

OK,

Just checked, and even the Go be Cork service is on a day basis, not a departure time basis.

No, sorry, there is no way in this day and age that I would risk not getting on board.

I don't know how people do this.

Maybe I am over cautious. But my time and my appointments at a certain time are precious. I would hate not to know whether I could board at the time I want or not.

As you say, it's RARELY a problem, but that is not the point is it?

Train for me now. Book a seat, get on, get your seat, guaranteed.

Thanks for the information anyway. Much appreciated.

Glad I posted the question now. The only reason I was taking the bus was because it stopped near the shopping centre.

You're going way OTT about this.

There is VERY little chance that you will not be able to board - they run double deck coaches on the route.

If people were being left behind, believe me you would start reading about it here.

You're going way OTT about this.

There is VERY little chance that you will not be able to board - they run double deck coaches on the route.

If people were being left behind, believe me you would start reading about it here.

Maybe I am OTT about it for sure...:)

Maybe I WILL take the bus.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the info anyway. I appreciate you trying to calm me down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(and seems no codeshare problems with NI Railways either for online bookings!)

Note that there is only a single standard-class carriage reservable on the Enterprise when leaving from Dublin, unless you go first class. Coming from Newry, you might find it difficult to reserve at all in standard-class

• Advertisement
Advertisement