Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options
  • 05-01-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Coming early 2015 they say...probably march.

What I'm wondering is, where will it be sold in Ireland? Do you think it will be an online only thing for the first while? No reason why the phone shops should be the only ones selling it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It will be Store both online and in Belfast for starters, with CompuB coming on when stock levels normalise.

I'll be queuing up in Belfast that's for sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't know that the phone shops will be selling it, but I can imagine somewhere like Brown Thomas might. I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet so I'll be wanting to go into Apple in Belfast and try it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

If the talks of the February release date in America are true I'll more than likely pick one up when I'm over at the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I never buy the first iteration of an Apple product. Yes the first one is usually ground-breaking and momentous but is usually underpowered/underspecced. it is only with later releases and further refinements that are the brilliant Apple products. So clear examples would be the original iPad vs iPad 2, the original iPhone vs everything that came after it and even the original Apple TV against its successors.

I think I'll wait this one out...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't get why people would say they will get one in the States or Belfast when none of us know how good the actual product is and it hasn't been reviewed properly.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get why people would say they will get one in the States or Belfast when none of us know how good the actual product is and it hasn't been reviewed properly.
    going on 's track record, this device will be a hit, yup the gen one will have some issues but so does all tech. A guy in my office has had nearly every Android wear watch since they've released (how old are they less than 12 months), the gear live -> corroded contacts due to sweat, LG G Watch -> strap broke, Moto 270 -> casing cracked due to pressure from a metal wrist band.

With , the quality will be there from day one for me, that's enough of an incentive to buy for me, sod anyone else :)

going on 's track record, this device will be a hit, yup the gen one will have some issues but so does all tech. A guy in my office has had nearly every Android wear watch since they've released (how old are they less than 12 months), the gear live -> corroded contacts due to sweat, LG G Watch -> strap broke, Moto 270 -> casing cracked due to pressure from a metal wrist band.

With , the quality will be there from day one for me, that's enough of an incentive to buy for me, sod anyone else :)

Yes, so assuming that Apple Watches won't physically break, apart from that people don't know how the actual watch will work and integrate with phone etc.
    I don't think I would buy it without knowing what uses it has.
    Having to charge it everyday is a big negative for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

I wonder what kind of money they will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

patmac wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of money they will be?
    $349 i think i seen mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

$500 dollars was the price I heard last night on Bloomberg TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

bop1977 wrote: »
    $500 dollars was the price I heard last night on Bloomberg TV.

:eek:
    Might chance the Pebble instead.

that's for the Watch standard edition, the sport edition will be $349 and even at that it's a complete estimate made up by Bloomberg of all sources :pac:

as a pebble steel owner, I like what pebble are doing, but if I don't want a notification on my wrist I have to disable push notifications for that app. With the Watch I assume I can say what and what doesn't go to my wrist without having to completely nuke notifications for said app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You can pretty much guarantee they will be 299+ for the 'standard edition', typical Apple pricing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

The high level ones will cost $5k and up.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    You can pretty much guarantee they will be 299+ for the 'standard edition', typical Apple pricing really.

They've already announced the price, and it's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread. $349+. In  terms that's €329 minimum (more likely €349).

That's for the sport edition which is using cheaper components than the watch. Can see the watch edition being any cheaper than the cheaper sport edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I like my Apple kit, all the way back to my first iPod in 2004, 4 iPhones, iPad, and numerous iMac's/MacBooks.

I think I'll be passing on the watch though.

I don't think they chose to go into the watch market, rather they were forced to as everyone else was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Personally I dont want to do anything on a watch other than view the time. I dont want to stare at a watch as much as I do a phone. Its a much tougher sell than an iPad/iPhone for Apple. Those products are very much short term purchases for most Apple customers but watches traditionally are much more long term.

I have a Seiko watch given to be by my GF (now wife) 8 years ago and its sentimental value is priceless to me. You cant say the same about a phone or an iPad. Will customers adopt similar purchasing behaviour with the watch to the iPad/iPhone with annual or two year upgrades?

Im open to trying one out in store but I cant see myself ever buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks like the apple event on the 9th will be an apple watch release.... pre-orders for this have popped up

43795_085_70-000-customized-apple-watch-packed-full-diamonds.jpg

Anyone have a spare $75k? :eek:

Some people have zero taste :P. I'd rather wear a moto 270 than that hideous thing.

yeah, I'll stick to my Tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Had to go to page 2 of this forum to find this thread, anecdotally that would suggest the product is unlikely to make a splash. Personally I don't see the value proposition in Smart Watches based on current battery technology, and Apple's offering is going to be alot pricier than other android and pebble products without appearing to offer anything much more.

I fail to see how there will be a high end market for these watches and with people touting 2k to 10k for the Gold Watch edition its in direct competition with true Heirloom timepieces like rolex, tag's etc only unlike them it will be obsolete in no time.

Be interesting to see how they pitch it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Is there another Apple Watch thread or how is the 'buzz' about it so dead in the Apple Forum? There was a huge Tim Cook presentation yesterday on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The high level ones will cost $5k and up.

This is what I don't get, whoever spends $5k+ on a watch is going to go for a classic watch that shows quality and craftmanship like Patek Philippe or Rolex.

I get the Apple popularity, but this is a market it's never going to fill (high end watches)

the_monkey wrote: »
    This is what I don't get, whoever spends $5k+ on a watch is going to go for a classic watch that shows quality and craftmanship like Patek Philippe or Rolex.

I get the Apple popularity, but this is a market it's never going to fill (high end watches)

Aye, €10,000 and there'll be a newer version of it released in 12/18 months!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

the_monkey wrote: »

I think you might be wrong. There is a large cohort of people who have lots of money but would never consider wearing a watch at all, never mind a Rolex or a Patek. The Apple watch will be the equivalent status symbol for their generation. They won't care if it doesn't work in 10 years. They will not be choosing between a Rolex and an Apple, they will just be choosing to buy a high end Apple watch.

I'm not sure it will go well for them, but for different reasons. However, most of the people poking holes in it by comparing it to Rolex or Patek are barking up the wrong tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

spockety wrote: »
    I think you might be wrong. There is a large cohort of people who have lots of money but would never consider wearing a watch at all, never mind a Rolex or a Patek. The Apple watch will be the equivalent status symbol for their generation. They won't care if it doesn't work in 10 years. They will not be choosing between a Rolex and an Apple, they will just be choosing to buy a high end Apple watch.

I'm not sure it will go well for them, but for different reasons. However, most of the people poking holes in it by comparing it to Rolex or Patek are barking up the wrong tree.

Sure but it'll for people with more money then sense (plenty of those around) it will be worth f*ck all in 15 years time, where as a Patek or Rolex will be worth the same or more.

Investment v Throwing money on a fad.

So yeah, it's a bad comparison to compare Apple with Rolex/Patek - but they are the ones who want to enter the luxury watch market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Have you got the time? No sorry my battery is dead. The whole smart watch concept is an utter failure. A €400 device that saves you from taking your phone out of your pocket and is pretty bad as a time keeping device unless you carry around a couple of spare battery chargers. People will buy them, no doubt about it. And they'll quickly get sick of having to charge them throughout the day and forgetting to charge them at night. I can honestly see people wearing these as jewellery without ever bothering to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

macpac26 wrote: »
    Personally I dont want to do anything on a watch other than view the time.

I like the having the date as well :)

Sticklers for me straight off the bat are battery time and the cost. But it'll be interesting to see how this evolves (or not!)

• Advertisement

wrt40 wrote: »
    Have you got the time? No sorry my battery is dead. The whole smart watch concept is an utter failure. A €400 device that saves you from taking your phone out of your pocket and is pretty bad as a time keeping device unless you carry around a couple of spare battery chargers. People will buy them, no doubt about it. And they'll quickly get sick of having to charge them throughout the day and forgetting to charge them at night. I can honestly see people wearing these as jewellery without ever bothering to use them.

I read there is a reserve battery that wlll allow you to see the time for 72 hours.

Advertisement