Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone going to be attempting this? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Renmai

Loving mine.... I feel its part of me already.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Bob24 wrote: »
    Thanks.

So when you say clicking the green bar of the phone screen it means you cannot actually direct a call to the phone without taking the phone out of your pocket? (sorry this might sound silly but remote controlling the phone is omitting I am quite interested it)

The earphones you have - are they the Apple original headset ones (or a similar third party version) with the plastic bit on the cable for mic and the three remote control buttons? To answer an incoming call and take it on the headset, you only need to hit the middle button on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

mackerski wrote: »
    The earphones you have - are they the Apple original headset ones (or a similar third party version) with the plastic bit on the cable for mic and the three remote control buttons? To answer an incoming call and take it on the headset, you only need to hit the middle button on that.

Yes I have a remote on the earphone cable which is fine to take calls - I guess my question was also (and more) about initiating them. Siri isn't working very well for me as I have some contacts with many numbers and also with names from various European and Asian countries that it doesn't understand very well (no way Siri will understand a Chinese name if it is set to English).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes I have a remote on the earphone cable which is fine to take calls - I guess my question was also (and more) about initiating them. Siri isn't working very well for me as I have some contacts with many numbers and also with names from various European and Asian countries that it doesn't understand very well (no way Siri will understand a Chinese name if it is set to English).

I see your difficulty, though based on my own watch experience so far I don't see how it can improve things for you (I guess you were thinking of putting the common or difficult names into the friends' list?).

I can think of a non-watch workaround, though, that could help Siri on the phone to dial those tricky numbers - Siri allows you to create associations between actual contacts entries and "roles". So you can teach it who your mother, father, husband, wife, whatever, is, then ask Siri to "phone my mother". I'm not sure whether you can invent new roles ("my accountant" or whatever), but maybe there is a way for you to exploit this to get around your difficulty.

On the watch - I love mine. It's not perfect, but Apple can be proud of the product they have created. I'm glad I own one. Like Renmai, I find that using it is already very natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

mackerski wrote: »
    I see your difficulty, though based on my own watch experience so far I don't see how it can improve things for you (I guess you were thinking of putting the common or difficult names into the friends' list?).

I can think of a non-watch workaround, though, that could help Siri on the phone to dial those tricky numbers - Siri allows you to create associations between actual contacts entries and "roles". So you can teach it who your mother, father, husband, wife, whatever, is, then ask Siri to "phone my mother". I'm not sure whether you can invent new roles ("my accountant" or whatever), but maybe there is a way for you to exploit this to get around your difficulty.

On the watch - I love mine. It's not perfect, but Apple can be proud of the product they have created. I'm glad I own one. Like Renmai, I find that using it is already very natural.

Thanks for the clarifications/suggestions!

Most of these are friends/colleagues so I guess for now I'll keep using the phone rather than trying to assign them to "my German friend" or "my Indian colleague" :-)

I am still undecided about the watch and I'll wait to see one before I decide - but I am edging towards buying the cheapest Sport version to see how useful I find it overtime ... and switch to a nicer version of the second generation if I like it (or otherwise just sell it and forget about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone getting delivery updates today? I'm trying to figure out what is happening i.e. whether they got a container load of watches last week and shipped everything out for delivery Friday and now they're waiting on another container load or whether there's a steady stream? I'm down a delivering May 12-26 but I've also heard that the expectation is that items will deliver sooner than that. Having said that, I've ordered the 42mm Space Grey Sport so I don't see my being bumped up the list anytime soon given I've ordered what most other people have also ordered!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone getting delivery updates today? I'm trying to figure out what is happening i.e. whether they got a container load of watches last week and shipped everything out for delivery Friday and now they're waiting on another container load or whether there's a steady stream? I'm down a delivering May 12-26 but I've also heard that the expectation is that items will deliver sooner than that. Having said that, I've ordered the 42mm Space Grey Sport so I don't see my being bumped up the list anytime soon given I've ordered what most other people have also ordered!

There's little to no movement at all this morning for UK orders so far this morning. One to two updates trickling in over the last few minutes.

Space Grey looks like it was particularly popular resulting in it being one of the most supply constrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Graham wrote: »
    There's little to no movement at all this morning for UK orders so far this morning. One to two updates trickling in over the last few minutes.

Quite a few UK folk on MacRumors are reporting some updates. I ordered on 22/4 and was given an estimated delivery of June, but this afternoon it updates to 20th May - 2nd June.

Zcott wrote: »
    Quite a few UK folk on MacRumors are reporting some updates. I ordered on 22/4 and was given an estimated delivery of June, but this afternoon it updates to 20th May - 2nd June.

Still very few updates (including mine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ordered at 8:06 on the 10th, still no update. still saying 4-6 weeks 12 - 26th may, i feel all left out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apparently 38mm sport watches (blue and green) are shipping very fast despite the "June" delivery estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

My watch delivery date got bumped too. June to 20th of May - 3rd of June. At least it's more concrete of a date

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

No order changes for me. Still 12-26 May for my leather loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Ordered yesterday. Estimated dispatch was 27 May - 6 June
    Just received an email with changed delivery dates to: 19 May, 2015 - 27 May
    Not bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

OgreSwamp wrote: »

What's the price work out in Euro?

Haven't checked that. Ordered for my company (I'm an app dev).

Haven't checked that. Ordered for my company (I'm an app dev).

Which model did you order OgreSwamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

yep, order update for me now too - 4 to 6 weeks, changed from June. I guess 4 to 6 weeks could still be June though, so no big change! Space grey sports watch / black strap by the way.

Jealous! Which model?

I ordered on 22nd and the ETA is 3-5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Renmai

Just wondering which apps people who have their watches are using and how they are finding them. Whats your favourite.

Graham wrote: »
    Which model did you order OgreSwamp?

Apple Watch 38mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

My 42mm Sports Watch cost €485 on my visa. Worth every penny IMO the watch is a joy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

My 42mm with Classic Buckle has finally shipped. US order.

38mm white sport changed to preparing for dispatch tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just wondering has anyone used the fitness app or specifically the Nike+ app on the Apple Watch yet? Interested to hear how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel with White Sport Band.

Ordered 23rd April 2015. Preparing for dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OwenM123

What is the dimensions of the box of an apple watch sport 42 mm green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Received word last night my second watch 42 mm space grey will be delivered today to PM up north.can I change my setting to collect in nightlight in Finglas rather than waiting the whole day like last week or as it's the bank hoilday do I run the risk of not being able to collect it till Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

wondering how people are getting on with watch a week out? Mine (42 SG Sport) still slotted in for delivery May 27-June 9, ordered April 10.

Advertisement