Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

wrt40 wrote: »
    Have you got the time? No sorry my battery is dead. The whole smart watch concept is an utter failure. A €400 device that saves you from taking your phone out of your pocket and is pretty bad as a time keeping device unless you carry around a couple of spare battery chargers. People will buy them, no doubt about it. And they'll quickly get sick of having to charge them throughout the day and forgetting to charge them at night. I can honestly see people wearing these as jewellery without ever bothering to use them.

My gf has a smart watch for the last year or so and she loves it. It's ugly as sin but it's a cool piece of kit. It's not just a watch, it's handy for controlling your music, making calls etc without taking your phone out. From a security point of view that's pretty great.

People who compare it to a watch of equivalent value are not really comparing like with like.

As for the charging thing, she gets 2 days out if hers and I never sleep with my watch in anyway- so if I need to charge it overnight it's no skin off my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

murpho999 wrote: »
    I read there is a reserve battery that wlll allow you to see the time for 72 hours.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/09/apple-watchs-battery-life-could-be-its-achilles-heel/

3 hours?? My Galaxy gear gen 1 lasted 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kjl wrote: »

No 72 hours, and that's 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

kjl wrote: »

Is there something wrong with your eyesight? It specifically says there about the 72 hour reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

steve jobs cant invent a watch that dosntt need iphone to work from

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    steve jobs cant invent a watch that dosntt need iphone to work from

You do know Steve Jobs is dead, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

wrt40 wrote: »
    Have you got the time? No sorry my battery is dead. The whole smart watch concept is an utter failure. A €400 device that saves you from taking your phone out of your pocket and is pretty bad as a time keeping device unless you carry around a couple of spare battery chargers. People will buy them, no doubt about it. And they'll quickly get sick of having to charge them throughout the day and forgetting to charge them at night. I can honestly see people wearing these as jewellery without ever bothering to use them.

I am using a moto360 for the last 4 months and never had an issue with battery. Had it on ambient since 4am and it is currently 54%. That's after 16 hours.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You do know Steve Jobs is dead, don't you?

what ever apple cant invent watch that doesnt require smartphone to operate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes as much sense as your previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Won't be bothering with this. Can't see the draw tbh that's goes for all smart watches. I thought it would be great for the fitness types but no GPS is a real shocker I must say.

the standard iphone has gps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Cost is the big prohibitor for me. Would have bought one just for the sake of it if it were around the 180-220 mark. But fur the price it is and all it can do I'll happlily go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

naasrd wrote: »
    Cost is the big prohibitor for me. Would have bought one just for the sake of it if it were around the 180-220 mark. But fur the price it is and all it can do I'll happlily go without.

Yeah, that's exactly my thinking.

I do spend money on gadgets (and am quite fortunate that I am in a position to do so), but I'm really having trouble justifying the guts of a thousand Euro on a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, that's exactly my thinking.

I do spend money on gadgets (and am quite fortunate that I am in a position to do so), but I'm really having trouble justifying the guts of a thousand Euro on a watch.

Exactly, especially when that €1,000 can buy you a watch that will still be as good as the day you bought it 20 years from now!

I buy a watch, it is for a lifetime (my Tag)
    I buy a phone every 2 years from Apple (4,5,6)
    an Apple watch that will need replacing every 2-3 years! no thanks.

even if you want to keep it for 10+ years, within 3-4 years (1,000+ charge cycles) it will still need it's battery replaced, and guess who has the privilege of doing that for a small fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Exactly, especially when that €1,000 can buy you a watch that will still be as good as the day you bought it 20 years from now!

even if you want to keep it for 10+ years, within 3-4 years (1,000+ charge cycles) it will still need it's battery replaced, and guess who has the privilege of doing that for a small fortune?

Hadn't been thinking about this, but I'm curious as to what Apple envision the upgrade cycle being on this. It's common knowledge that they're disappointed with the iPad cycle and I have to imagine there's a stronger case there for people to upgrade more often. What can they add to watch each year to make it a compelling purchase. GPS? Can't see that moving much, besides battery life I'm kinda stumped.

The original goal for this device was that would look after your health. That it would constantly monitor you and give you a heads up if needed. It'd be a compelling product, with a strong narrative and not the half baked device that was unveiled. Thing is, I can't see them reaching that potential for five to ten years and I wonder will it just fall into the background in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

I have a Pebble (€129 delivered) for about a month now and I am very pleased with it, handy for the following:
    Tells the time with many different watch faces I like the one that buzzes you every hour during work reminding me to stretch and take a break from the desk.
    The charge lasts one week and only takes 10 minutes to recharge.
    When the phone is on silent it notifies you when a call and text happens, also if you are in a pub you can see who's calling etc.
    Great for counting steps etc.
    You can control your music handy for when your walking, running or cycling. There is probably loads more things that can be done and I'm sure the Iwatch does the same but at €271 more and with shorter re-charge times I wont be upgrading.

It's common knowledge that they're disappointed with the iPad cycle and I have to imagine there's a stronger case there for people to upgrade more often.

I still use my iPad 2 (2011) and wouldn't dream of upgrading it, for what I use it for, theres just no need for an expensive upgrade, it still does everything I want/need of it.
    not the half baked device that was unveiled.

I'm still of the opinion that they were forced into doing it as it's what all the other tech companies were doing (had done) and if they didn't jump on board, they'd be left playing catch up. Similar to how everyone else played second fiddle to Apple for years after the release of iPhone/iPad. Apple were probably worried the same would happen them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I haven't been keeping up with the iWatch as I have a perfectly good Seiko that I've had for over 15 years, doesn't need a battery as it's self winding and have no interest in replacing it. I wouldn't have any inclination of getting a smart watch and if the price tag is that much you can forget it.

I've recently gotten back on board with Apple having got an iPad Air 2 - absolutely fantastic device and have recently purchased an iPhone 6, after 4 years with Samsung Galaxy's. But iWatch, absolutely no interest. I doubt it's going to do all that well and for the reasons that have already mentioned, battery life, hideous price tag and having to replace it after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I still use my iPad 2 (2011) and wouldn't dream of upgrading it, for what I use it for, theres just no need for an expensive upgrade, it still does everything I want/need of it.

I'm still of the opinion that they were forced into doing it as it's what all the other tech companies were doing (had done) and if they didn't jump on board, they'd be left playing catch up. Similar to how everyone else played second fiddle to Apple for years after the release of iPhone/iPad. Apple were probably worried the same would happen them!

I'm the same with my iPad 2. "We made them too well" is something I've heard more than once. They released it because Tim Cook needs it for his own legacy and of course to have more product lines to fuel growth, not because of what someone else is doing. I firmly believe that this product, as it is, would not have been released under Jobs. The multiple interface paradigms are just confused and a sure sign of a horse drawn by committee. I'd guess that they're worried about this actually being a hit. Hence the rumours on the apple car that started emerging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I agree with a lot of posters' opinion of the Apple Watch. I have a lot of Apple products (MBP, ipad, iphone, Time capsule, apple tv's etc.) and I have absolutely no interest in this product.

I think it will turn out to be a big white elephant for Apple once the initial hype has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'm the same with my iPad 2. "We made them too well" is something I've heard more than once. They released it because Tim Cook needs it for his own legacy and of course to have more product lines to fuel growth, not because of what someone else is doing. I firmly believe that this product, as it is, would not have been released under Jobs. The multiple interface paradigms are just confused and a sure sign of a horse drawn by committee. I'd guess that they're worried about this actually being a hit. Hence the rumours on the apple car that started emerging.

I agree, I don't think Jobs would have let it out the door. Everything they released under Jobs had a use case, in some cases people didn't realise it at the time. I went up to Belfast to get the first iPad, had a 1st gen iPod touch, iPhone, though I am firmly in the Android camp now. But the Apple Watch really has no use case, it's health tracking properties are poor, offering nothing beyond your phone except optical HR tracking, which isn't very accurate when exercising vigorously. Alot of the Apple Pay / NFC functionality is for the US market where iPhone has the market share to justify the expense of putting the infrastructure in place to support it. As to notifications etc., yes it might be handy to see them on a watch, but not €350+ worth of handy, and with the dire battery life and need to recharge daily I just don;t see the point of it right now. Same goes for all the one day Smartwatches out there.

i wait until my iphone has run it lifespan that i get a new one, apple gadet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Strange, there seem to be many people here questioning relevance/price of the Apple Watch (I would include myself in the list), whereas the mood is quite different on the Macrumors forums with a lot of people saying they want one.

As many, while I love my Apple laptop, phone, and tablet my main issue is that I don't want yet another expensive device that needs to be replaced every 1/2/3 years - especially since I fail to see what it will do for me that is worth that price.

If I remember the original iPhone, I was sold on it since the original announcement:
    - It was going to replace my mobile and give me a better user experience (especially for texting)
    - It was going to replace my iPod and give me a better user experience (only compromise for iPod "Classic" owners: less storage)
    - It was going to give me the best web/email experience I could think of on a device that could fit in my pocket

So overall the additional expense compared to the 2 devices it was replacing was not huge, and it was bringing a lot of exciting things in a single device that could fit my pocket -> no brainer and I could see a lot of value for my money

Now back to the Apple Watch, it is an additional device that essentially is an accessory for my phone.
    Basically I can see it is adding:
    - fitness tracker features (but in my personal case I don't think it will give me much more fitness data than my iPhone 6 already does)
    - Small screen and notifications facilities to interact with my phone from my wrist

I really think the asking price is very high for these things and the value is nowhere near where the iPhone was - unless Apple can convince me that the watch will last me a few years (but as it stands I suspect it will be yearly refreshes).

Ignoring the technology aspect Apple is (rightly) marketing it as a fashion item - and if you are going to wear it on your wrist all the time you probably will want to get a nicer model and not necessarily the base one. I also have an issue there as if I buy another watch as a fashion item, for the same price I will get something much nicer and that lasts me much longer.

I guess it boils down to how much people are ready to pay for a fashion item that becomes disposable due the technology in it (ie how much value the technology is bringing for the trade-off to be worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I preferred keynotes when they were:

-problem
    -feature
    -demo

-problem
    -feature
    -demo

etc. None of this 40 minutes of slides and 20 minutes of demo with celebrity endorsements nonsense. Though this product is very much aimed at the fashion world, like they've made that clear in fairness, and the keynote was very much styled towards that.

But after even the last WWDC I was able to answer "So what's new in the latest OS" pretty succinctly. I struggle with the watch. Though I'll still get one, because I have a feeling that it'll be one of those things that you'd really miss if you went back to not having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Inquitus wrote: »
    I agree, I don't think Jobs would have let it out the door. Everything they released under Jobs had a use case, in some cases people didn't realise it at the time. I went up to Belfast to get the first iPad, had a 1st gen iPod touch, iPhone, though I am firmly in the Android camp now. But the Apple Watch really has no use case, it's health tracking properties are poor, offering nothing beyond your phone except optical HR tracking, which isn't very accurate when exercising vigorously. Alot of the Apple Pay / NFC functionality is for the US market where iPhone has the market share to justify the expense of putting the infrastructure in place to support it. As to notifications etc., yes it might be handy to see them on a watch, but not €350+ worth of handy, and with the dire battery life and need to recharge daily I just don;t see the point of it right now. Same goes for all the one day Smartwatches out there.

You're bang on. I watched a demo where the first few minutes were spent showing you how to change watch faces, followed by sending a what can only be described as a squiggle to someone else. It became embarrassing. Novelty features no different really from changing your wallpaper. Yeah, it'd be nice to read and reply to a text on the Luas or while out walking etc, but not at €350. I really wanted to like this and down the road save up for one. But I can't see a use for it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

naasrd wrote: »
    Yeah, it'd be nice to read and reply to a text on the Luas or while out walking etc, but not at €350.

And instead of having a €600-€900 iPhone that can be mugged off you, you've now got a €300-€1,000 smart watch as well.

mugger: Give me your Apple watch or else..
    victim: ok
    mugger: and I'll be having your iPhone as well chief
    victim: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And instead of having a €600-€900 iPhone that can be mugged off you, you've now got a €300-€1,000 smart watch as well.

mugger: Give me your Apple watch or else..
    victim: ok
    mugger: and I'll be having your iPhone as well chief
    victim: :confused:

Good point - carying over 1000 euros worth of equipment makes you a more attractive target for crime and is something I would rather avoid.

Having said that I would say most mobile phone thefts consist of grabbing them off people and running/cycling away or getting them off their pockets/bags without them noticing. As you mentioned, steeling a watch would bring it to the next level and involve threatening the victim - possibly not a step all mobile phone thieves are ready to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iPhones have an activation lock so they're useless to anyone apart from the owner...I wouldn't be surprised if the watch had something similar where it would only work when paired to a certain phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IMO, people need to stop comparing it to regular watches. Smart watches are technology products, not mechanical watches. It's also non-essential, as are most consumer electronics. All new tech is expensive and needs to be replaced after a few years. It's more comparable to consoles and other consumer electronics than it ever will be to a mechanical watch. At least compare like with like if you're going to complain about it.

Advertisement