Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ill wait for Gen 2. Ive seen what happens to my iPhone 5 battery after about 18 months, you'll be charging that Watch every 4 hours I reckon

The lack of being able to glance at the time in a meeting will be a big issue for me !

Apple fanboy here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

BoatMad wrote: »
    you'll be charging that Watch every 4 hours I reckon

I put mine on at 6:45am. I've checked quite a few messages on it, flicked through half a dozen emails, swiped away about 15 notifications and used Siri twice.

Battery remaining 89%

Graham wrote: »
    I put mine on at 6:45am. I've checked quite a few messages on it, flicked through half a dozen emails, swiped away about 15 notifications and used Siri twice.

Battery remaining 89%

any decent tech read will show you the usage/aging curve on Li battery tech, what you get today , is not what you will get in 18 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

any decent tech read will show you the usage/aging curve on Li battery tech, what you get today , is not what you will get in 18 months time

That's a given. If you think otherwise you need a reality check.

That's correct, at the same time it's never really put me off buying something that runs on Li batteries.

Assuming very pessimistically the battery is running at 50% capacity in 18 months time, I'd have used about 20% of the charge for about 33% of the day.

Of course, I can't argue with the underlying logic. If you have no Li battery operated watch then you are 100% certain not to have to worry about battery life :D

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Gen 2 will also be battery powered but I guess you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can't it be powered through the data port, surely someone will invent a solar powered stap or stick some batteries in one. Surprised it's not already out.

Can't it be powered through the data port, surely someone will invent a solar powered stap or stick some batteries in one. Surprised it's not already out.

I recall reading something about charging via the diagnostic port which could lead to powered watch straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I recall reading something about charging via the diagnostic port which could lead to powered watch straps.

Charging though a diagnostic port won't be supported by Apple though ... if many accessories are coming to the market they are likely to disable them wit ha software update.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Charging though a diagnostic port won't be supported by Apple though ... if many accessories are coming to the market they are likely to disable them wit ha software update.

Speculation on both sides to be honest, no difinitive answer from Apple as yet:
    Equally interesting is the fact that Apple's guidelines remain silent on the question of the diagnostic port obscured by the band. The company has so far been mum on the true purpose of the port. Other more enterprising accessory makers, like Reserve Strap, however, are planning to utilize it for direct wired and therefore faster charging of the Apple Watch.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-tells-accessory-makers-how-to-make-apple-watch-bands-05382042/

FWIW I can't imagine Apple will officially approve anything that uses the diagnostic port.

That's correct, at the same time it's never really put me off buying something that runs on Li batteries.

Assuming very pessimistically the battery is running at 50% capacity in 18 months time, I'd have used about 20% of the charge for about 33% of the day.

Of course, I can't argue with the underlying logic. If you have no Li battery operated watch then you are 100% certain not to have to worry about battery life :D

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Gen 2 will also be battery powered but I guess you never know.

I have a quite expensive Citizen eco-drive. 10 years old, never failed

while I accept the limitations of a battery powered watch, personally I think Id be happy with 24 hours guaranteed availability . The last thing I need is a watch dead on my wrist

for example I find now with my iPhone 5S that U get 3-4 hours with any net activity , I regularly loose my phone throughout the day, a calamity tahst actually worse then loosing my watch power !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

interesting report yesterday that "Apple is now preparing for the rollout of the in-store pickup option on new Apple Watch orders, which will allow users to select a retail location to pick up their wearable devices after order" Not that it matters much in the Republic of Ireland, one of the few countries in world still without an Apple Store. Anyway, my order still stuck on May 27- June 9 delivery date.

one of the few countries in world still without an Apple Store.

Apple cant have a store here , tax issues

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

tonylee wrote: »
    Not that it matters much in the Republic of Ireland, one of the few countries in world still without an Apple Store.

This is far from being correct. There are only 16 countries/territories in the world (8 in Europe) which have Apple Stores, and all of them are significantly larger markets than Ireland. The way Apple runs it stores doesn't work well for smaller counties. If we were part of a larger country there would be one in Dublin and maybe one in Cork, but as in independent country it doesn't make sense for them to set-up a retail organisation here just to open stores in one or maybe 2 cities.

Apple cant have a store here , tax issues

Is that new, it's not a reason I've come across before?

Is that new, it's not a reason I've come across before?

I saw it mentioned, Apple retail profits transfer from EU countries to an Irish company. AN irish apple store would require legal establishment of such in ireland, which would then force consolidation with the entity handling profit transfers . I believe this causes issues

I saw it mentioned, Apple retail profits transfer from EU countries to an Irish company. AN irish apple store would require legal establishment of such in ireland, which would then force consolidation with the entity handling profit transfers . I believe this causes issues

Odd, last invoice I received was from Apple Distribution International in Hollyhill, Cork. No idea why a B & M store would complicate that, you'd think online sales of physical products within Ireland would be the same as retail products.

I understood Apple had looked over several potential retail locations previously, perhaps their position has changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do we really need to go into topics that have been discussed to death in this thread and elsewhere.

comparing any smart watch to a traditional watch is stupid.

apple don't have a store here as for their own reasons and nothing to do with legal reasons. apple have been in ireland for 30 years they're hardly being dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

tonylee wrote: »
    one of the few countries in world still without an Apple Store.

A lot bigger countries than us don't have an Apple store. At least we have direct access to one if needed without having to travel silly miles.

Anyways, Black Leather Loop still processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

My Milanese Loop is still processing. As comfortable as the rubber one is, the metal one just looks a million times better.

... apple have been in ireland for 30 years they're hardly being dodgy.

well we shall see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

godtabh wrote: »
    So it appears that I have won an apple watch. They are offering me a 38mm one (haven't specified what watch) in any band type but I'd prefer a 42mm one. They said they can offer me a giftcard to the value of a 38mm one instead. No hassle there.

Are apple giftcards restricted to location? If I get an irish one can I only use it on the Irish apple store?

Any band type? As in strap? I assume you asked for the link bracelet (or the value of it) then....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

godtabh wrote: »
    So it appears that I have won an apple watch. They are offering me a 38mm one (haven't specified what watch) in any band type but I'd prefer a 42mm one. They said they can offer me a giftcard to the value of a 38mm one instead. No hassle there.

Are apple giftcards restricted to location? If I get an irish one can I only use it on the Irish apple store?

How did you win it? That's a dam good prize. Well Done Sir!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The launch of a new website.

Looking for the black sports strap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ordered. Dispatch in July

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Finally my black 42mm ordered at 8:05am on pre-order launch day has shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Same here. Just got the dispatch notice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

jarain wrote: »
    Same here. Just got the dispatch notice!!!

Stainless Steel or Sports? I ordered black Sports 42mm on launch day and there's no movement on mine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Sport 42mm. Ordered about 5 past on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Same, got the email this evening. SS version on the way. Now....the patience game. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Finally my black 42mm ordered at 8:05am on pre-order launch day has shipped.

what was original expected ship date?

Advertisement