Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yeah, I'd say it has a life cycle similar to an iPhone. It'll last a couple of years and then you'll want to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a bit off topic, but i was thinking of getting the apple watch. The only thing that is holding me back, the life cycle.

Will the watch have the same life cycle as a phone (iPhone) 2-4 years ? I have my current watch 9 years.

How long will this 1st gen of watch last berfore you have to upgrade due to lack of support from apple?

BobbyT28

in fairness, Apple have a good track record of software support for older products. iPhones get the latest software 3 or 4 generations back. how well they run it is another matter of course! Battery life span is what worries me most about the apple watch, especially since its going to be charged every day. Then again, I've had a Pebble kickstarter edition watch for over two years and battery life is still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I got a WhatsApp message with that Arabic text that causes iOS devices to reboot, the notification on my Apple watch caused it to get stuck in a reboot loop and only way to fix was unpair phone and then repair and restore from backup!

My Milanese Loop finally arrived this afternoon. In my first try-on appointment Apple were reluctant to let me try the Sport with the Loop because of 'galvanic corrosion', but I've read both metals are coated to avoid this. The clash of metals doesn't really bother me, because looking at the watch face you can't see the connecting bits anyway.

CiXTZSx.jpg
    kokVoRC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Is it bulky on the wrist? Looks it by the photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Doesn't feel or look bulky when you wear it. I've only seen one other person with one on in person and it looked fine too.

It's a little bit bulky and probably could slim down a bit, but it's not outrageously bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And so it's happened.

I had vowed to wait for the 2nd generation next year (I don't really need a Watch).

And then I got to play with one.

I must admit, I love it. I actually expected the 42mm one to be bigger, but it's not (the hint was probably in the 42mm somewhere).

Strongly tempted now......

Apparently the sporadic heart rate readings in 1.0.1 are a feature and not a bug. Bit of a useless feature because there are days I'm active all day and it only takes my HR maybe three or four times a day. I had no issue with it taking my HR every ten minutes.

Quick question on Parcel Motel - when ordering, do I need to order from the UK shop and enter the UK PM address as delivery, or do I order from the Ireland shop, with the UK PM address as delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

UK store

miralize wrote: »
    UK store

So will the UK store accept an Irish credit card with an Irish billing address?

(it's just dawned on me that this has all probably been answered earlier in the thread :o)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So will the UK store accept an Irish credit card with an Irish billing address?

(it's just dawned on me that this has all probably been answered earlier in the thread :o)

They accepted mine

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Renmai

Hey Scott,

Are you happy with the Milanese Loop on the sports?

Thinking of getting it.

Renami

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I too was skeptical about the watch until I tried on the Watch with the milanese loop and immediately fell in love with it.

I tried it with the sports model too and it was fine, but something about the Watch + loop that's just extra special so I'm holding out for that. 700 quid, jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I want one but until a waterproof one is released it is a no go area as I know I would wear it in the pool or shower. I am too used to waterproof watches not to.

banquo wrote: »
    700 quid, jaysus.

Yeah, the Mrs. is trying to talk sense to me. Her logic, and I can totally see where she is coming from, is that why spend 700-800 Euro on a watch that will essentially be out of date in two years time, why not spend that money on a "proper" watch that will last 20 years?

She just doesn't get it.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

yeah but chances are the 1st gen bands will still work in at least the 2nd gen, probably even the third. So tell her that buying a Milanese loop now is an investment!!

Renmai wrote: »
    Hey Scott,

Are you happy with the Milanese Loop on the sports?

Thinking of getting it.

Renami

Yeah. When you look at the watch on your wrist you don't see the stainless clasps on the loop, so it just looks like one metal. It's only if you look at the side you see the different metals. I love it, and I find it really comfortable. With th sport band the watch either sat a bit too loose or a bit too tight but with the loop it's perfect. And looks great too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

galljga1 wrote: »
    I want one but until a waterproof one is released it is a no go area as I know I would wear it in the pool or shower. I am too used to waterproof watches not to.
    you'll be waiting...

this thing has a speaker and a microphone and voice is the main input. people have tested the current watch and i've seen tests where it's been under 3m of water for 15 minutes with no hassle at all.

honestly i think you're missing out if wearing it in the pool is a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Is the Apple watch expected in the Irish Apple store this month?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Vudgie wrote: »

I havent seen anything on line to that affect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Vudgie wrote: »

Not sure but I'd expect 2nd wave country release dates announced at WWDC next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

I've been keeping an eye on delivery times and they are getting quicker. It's now down to 2-3 weeks in the UK store for a sport version. Two weeks ago it was 4-6 weeks.

Fingers crossed they will open it up more countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, the Mrs. is trying to talk sense to me. Her logic, and I can totally see where she is coming from, is that why spend 700-800 Euro on a watch that will essentially be out of date in two years time, why not spend that money on a "proper" watch that will last 20 years?

She just doesn't get it.... :pac:

Apple Watch Edition version 42mm with bright blue leather band cost 847 euro after exchange. That's a lot of cash and you know that in 10 months there'll be another one with those essential one or two improvements that means selling it on and investing again, it's a circle with Apple products :D

My girlfriend gave me grief about the cost v features of the watch against the sport edition. I caved in and returned it, waiting on the sport version now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Edition for only 847 euro? you my friend, got a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Next wave of countries:

Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland & Taiwan.

Friday 26th June.

Nothing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Next wave of countries:

Friday 26th June.

Nothing for Ireland.

Cue righteous indignation by those who didn't purchase abroad in 3, 2, 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Next wave of countries:

Friday 26th June.

Nothing for Ireland.

A good aul Parcel Motel!

Advertisement