Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beersmith wrote: »
    The watch is definitely a big drain on phone battery. Despite using the phone less its now dead by 6pm while it used to be 15-20% by bedtime!! I guess its because Bluetooth always has to be on. I had it in my head it would save battery as the screen isnt on as much :(

What phone is it?

My iphone 6 with bluetooth on all day doesnt have much impact on battery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Beersmith wrote: »
    The watch is definitely a big drain on phone battery. Despite using the phone less its now dead by 6pm while it used to be 15-20% by bedtime!! I guess its because Bluetooth always has to be on. I had it in my head it would save battery as the screen isnt on as much :(

Bluetooth doesn't always have to be on. Once it's connected up to your wifi network you can turn BT off and it remains connected unless you leave that wifi area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mine has been delivered. Getting excited

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Hello, just wondering how is everyone actually getting the watch if its not available in Ireland yet. The earlier posts implied that Peoples orders were cancelled who were using Parcel Motel. Is parcel motel working now or what?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

nokia211 wrote: »
    Hello, just wondering how is everyone actually getting the watch if its not available in Ireland yet. The earlier posts implied that Peoples orders were cancelled who were using Parcel Motel. Is parcel motel working now or what?
    Thanks

Not available in Ireland yet (from Apple direct). Parcel motel orders were cancelled and then quickly reinstated.

Parcel motel is probably your best bet, alternatively a trip to the Apple Store in Belfast which I'm lead to believe will be getting stock shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any idea when the stores are getting physical stock.

dingding wrote: »
    Any idea when the stores are getting physical stock.

This month, apparently confirmed recently by Tim Cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Graham wrote: »
    This month, apparently confirmed recently by Tim Cook.

I believe the date is 26th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I believe the date is 26th June.
    For the UK and North. Not Southern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jimmynokia wrote: »

Is it safe to assume this is also the case in the US?

I'm heading there during the Summer. And I'm sure there's an Apple store three streets up from the hotel.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume this is also the case in the US?

I'm heading there during the Summer. And I'm sure there's an Apple store three streets up from the hotel.....

Yep, although don't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, although don't count on it.

It is my wife who is counting on it not happening.

Got mine this morning. Havent had a chance to play with it yet. Will probably have to wait till after work

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mocathain

I ordered the 38 sports watch last Saturday in the UK store and got it today via parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No, it is available in Ireland on that date. Most of us tend not to recognise the border. You should try it sometime...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

naasrd wrote: »
    No, it is available in Ireland on that date. Most of us tend not to recognise the border. You should try it sometime...

Ireland is not on the list for the 26th.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

godtabh wrote: »
    Got mine this morning. Havent had a chance to play with it yet. Will probably have to wait till after work

When did you order godtabh ??

sharkman wrote: »
    When did you order godtabh ??

Middle of May

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

godtabh wrote: »
    Middle of May

Ordered mine 6 June , 42mm Sport . Shipping 24th , dont suppose there's much hope of it arriving early ..

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Spook80

sharkman wrote: »
    Ordered mine 6 June , 42mm Sport . Shipping 24th , dont suppose there's much hope of it arriving early ..

I ordered 2 x 42mm milanese loop (myself and brother) on same day and collected from parcel motel yesterday morning.
    Initially had estimated delivery of 28june - 3july and then as it started moving it was so quick. Fingers crossed yours is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 EireJay

Ordered my 42mm sport on the 8th of this month and got a dispatch email this morning to say it will be delivered to PM on the 15th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

If anyone here has a complete Apple Watch review or thoughts send me a DM. I'm not the biggest Apple fan in the world but want to hear thoughts from home

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

If anyone here has a complete Apple Watch review or thoughts send me a DM. I'm not the biggest Apple fan in the world but want to hear thoughts from home

I also wouldn't mind a review as well thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'll write a review over the next day or so I'm due on a plane in an hour.

I tried on the edition today. It was beautiful http://imgur.com/a/TBskp

Quick review having worn it for a few weeks now:

Is it useful? Kind of. Is it necessary? Not really. Is it cool? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walsh101

The high level ones will cost $5k and up.

Am sorry to break the Bank But its 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

walsh101 wrote: »
    Am sorry to break the Bank But its 10k

That was posted before the price announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've been on the fence about the Apple Watch since the pricing was officially released. What are people's opinions who've bought one? Is there a major difference in the two sizes? Is it actually useful enough to warrant that price?

The price is the really big deterrent for me, the 42mm at €350 might of been low enough but it seems the 38mm will be €400 and most reviews are saying it's too small. I'd imagine the 42mm could be priced as high as €479 knowing Apple which is nearly the dollar price of the standard Apple Watch.

I know the VAT and exchange rate is partially the reason but it's still a tough price to swallow.

I'd be buying direct from Apple Ireland if/when it arrives but right now I'm leaning towards not buying it mostly based on price. The 2nd gen will probably be out before it hits Ireland at this stage.

In France (one of the few launch countries. The sports model is €399/€449.

I have the 38mm and I can't say I've ever considered it to be too small.

It's almost impossible to say how useful someone else will find it. Personally I think it was worth the outlay.

Watch OS 2 is a big improvement over Watch OS 1, the ability to run apps locally to the Watch rather than tethered to the phone is a big plus.

• Advertisement

I think the size really depends on your wrist size. For me it was an obvious choice for the 38mm because I have tiny wrists, but if you've bigger wrists the 38 can look a little lost.

Advertisement