Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

EireJay wrote: »
    Ordered my 42mm sport on the 8th of this month and got a dispatch email this morning to say it will be delivered to PM on the 15th :)

Did it arrive ???

Now available to Reserve and Pick Up in Belfast :eek::eek:

Just about to cancel order and take a trip to Belfast when this happens :::Preparing for Dispatch:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Decided to put my 38mm sport watch up for sale. I found i was using it less and less over the last week. Definitely can see the potential but will probably wait for the second generation whenever that maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Hands down the best gadget I've had in a few years. I only have mine a few days so I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long run but I'm finding it great so far. I am a watch fan and it's the best watch I've had without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm finding I'm less distracted with looking at my phone all the time for less important messages. A quick glance at the wrist is so handy to tell if it needs an immediate response or not. And the fitness apps are keeping me doing at least 30 minutes of exercise every day (so far)!

Battery is lasting me two days too on a full charge. Have about 25% left after day two tonight.

You'll enjoy it Sharkman! How you getting on with yours Godtabh?

Hands down the best gadget I've had in a few years. I only have mine a few days so I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long run but I'm finding it great so far. I am a watch fan and it's the best watch I've had without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm finding I'm less distracted with looking at my phone all the time for less important messages. A quick glance at the wrist is so handy to tell if it needs an immediate response or not. And the fitness apps are keeping me doing at least 30 minutes of exercise every day (so far)!

Battery is lasting me two days too on a full charge. Have about 25% left after day two tonight.

You'll enjoy it Sharkman! How you getting on with yours Godtabh?

Hi. Out of interest what model do you have ? I find the 38mm battery life to be not great. I'm left with 10-15 percent after a day of normal usage checking the time with 30 minutes of exercise. I wonder if the 42mm battery life is significantly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

medic087 wrote: »
    Hi. Out of interest what model do you have ? I find the 38mm battery life to be not great. I'm left with 10-15 percent after a day of normal usage checking the time with 30 minutes of exercise. I wonder if the 42mm battery life is significantly better.

I've a 42mm sport

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

saying reserve and pick up cant be made right now, try after 6am?
    does the reserve function close if stock is low?

doe anyone know if i can buy in belfast store if i drive up, ie are they on display so i can walk out with one.

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You could try phoning them but they close shortly. Best to just check tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    You could try phoning them but they close shortly. Best to just check tomorrow morning.

yea seems the reservation slots are time based so once all the daily slots are taken then the system closes. when you reserve a watch, you also pick a time that suit you to pick up, and would appear the time slots are limited daily.

eirlink wrote: »
    yea seems the reservation slots are time based so once all the daily slots are taken then the system closes. when you reserve a watch, you also pick a time that suit you to pick up, and would appear the time slots are limited daily.

I see you have to have a uk number to confirm reservation with store. Is there any way around this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

medic087 wrote: »
    I see you have to have a uk number to confirm reservation with store. Is there any way around this ?

Easy enough to have a UK number. £15 from 3 mobile prepaid. Needs a visit there, of course.

I'm sure if you phoned them they'd be ok with it; they're pretty helpful in there.

I'm sure if you phoned them they'd be ok with it; they're pretty helpful in there.

Cool thanks I might ring tomorrow then.

made a reservation at 3pm today to pick up at 6pm. popped in and the guy brought my watch down from upstairs, we opened it up and set it up with my iphone. all done in 15 mins, paid and left. Great experience TBH, and then headed back down south.

i could only make the reservation by logging in via my apple ID to the uk site, pick my watch and then hit the check availability link. i entered my apple ID, and then received a code, which i sent to my mate in UK who texted it to the 80188 number. 5 mins later he rang me back with the reservation code which i entered online and bingo....42mm aluminium space grey sport reserved for pickup between 6-6.30 ( time was my choice )

NOTE
    if you are reserving, the system ONLY allows for reservations on THE DAY you reserve, you cant pick a day in the future like tomorrow etc.

if you do pop up to belfast, its a pleasant experience. Also note, you can pick a different model, strap when there, but this is subject to availability. The sales guy will present you with a box containing 10 different models for you to try on before your reserved watch arrives down. They make a big thing of the unboxing and setting up but its a great customer experience.

if you want to be setup in store make sure you bring your iphone and that it has the latest IOS as the watch app needs to be installed on your phone in order to pair the watch

any questions about the process, let me know.

for those of you who want extended battery life , theres a strap coming which makes use of the diagnostic port on all apple watches. you heard it here first ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

eirlink wrote: »
    for those of you who want extended battery life , theres a strap coming which makes use of the diagnostic port on all apple watches. you heard it here first ;)

2nd :D
    Graham wrote: »
    I recall reading something about charging via the diagnostic port which could lead to powered watch straps.

I don't know about you guys, but my battery life has been great. I normally put my watch on around 10am and at 1am when I'm going to bed it's still around 20-30%. Ok, I don't do any of the exercise stuff but the battery has been so good I don't even have the battery level as a complication. Mine is a 38mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My watch rarely goes below 45% in one day. I bet I could stretch it to two days between charges if I use the power reserve mode.

That includes me constantly playing with heart rate sensor and doing activities and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I see the SDK for native watch apps and watch software is put now. Should see some nice native watch apps given the improvements in the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see the SDK for native watch apps and watch software is put now. Should see some nice native watch apps given the improvements in the OS

Not until the fall. watchOS 2 requires iOS 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Well I'm NOT prepared to let my Apple Watch fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

sorry I was referring to Apple developers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone tried buying AppleCare+ for the watch after receiving it? I never bought AppleCare with the watch when I purchased it from the UK website on launch day. I've had the watch about a month now and tried ringing Apple Ireland to purchase AppleCare. Ireland said they couldn't sell it as the watch isn't available here. I spoke with an Apple Support guy who suggested buying it from the UK website. I tried that but the site only allows you to buy AppleCare in conjunction with a watch order. I decided then to ring the UK apple Support line to see if they'd sell it to me over the phone. Instead they just said that they couldn't sell it to me because I was in Ireland and the watch isn't available there. All I've been told now is to ring back around the time my 60 days is up to see if they can do anything for me.

I'm thinking if they took the money for the watch they should also be taking the money for AppleCare. I don't expect to have any major accidents with the device but you just never know.

Would it be worth the trip up to Belfast to buy it in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure they sell it in store. I'm in London in early July so will definitely be checking that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Am a bit late to this. Thinking about picking up the apple watch, so my options are to use parcel motel or reserve one and make the drive up to Belfast? Anything I should know.. I've been trawling through this thread a good bit but not sure what the current process is, do I just use Parcel motel as normal?

fifth wrote: »
    Am a bit late to this. Thinking about picking up the apple watch, so my options are to use parcel motel or reserve one and make the drive up to Belfast? Anything I should know.. I've been trawling through this thread a good bit but not sure what the current process is, do I just use Parcel motel as normal?

ive outlined the process for buying in apple store belfast in my post above ^^^

• Advertisement

Would it be worth the trip up to Belfast to buy it in store?

only with a reservation if you wish to purchase before the 26th , when they are available retail, ie walk in.....

Advertisement