Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OU812 wrote: »
    I wonder if they're going to do a hardware refresh to Gen 2 in the next year? I personally would love to have one but after being badly burned on the iPad I'm hesitant to commit to Gen 1 again.

How were you badly burned by the iPad? Did it not do everything you were led to believe it would do when you bought it?

I also bought the iPad Gen 1 (two of them in fact), sold when the iPad 2 launched. I'll most likely do the same with the Apple Watch without any feeling of being burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Graham wrote: »
    How were you badly burned by the iPad?

Apple very quickly dropped support for it. Last version supported was ios 5 while I think iPad 2 is still supported.

Felt burned too having spent 700 on something that received its last os update just over a year after it went on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Felt burned too having spent 700 on something that received its last os update just over a year after it went on sale.

It was 2 years after release.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Apple very quickly dropped support for it. Last version supported was ios 5 while I think iPad 2 is still supported.

Didn't the 1st Gen get support for iOS 3, iOS4, and iOS 5? Even after that the iPad Gen 1 didn't just explode, most Apps continued to work as normal all be it they missed out on some of the new iOS 6 only features.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Graham wrote: »
    How were you badly burned by the iPad? Did it not do everything you were led to believe it would do when you bought it?

I also bought the iPad Gen 1 (two of them in fact), sold when the iPad 2 launched. I'll most likely do the same with the Apple Watch without any feeling of being burned.

Just the way the support was dropped. A lot of great apps came out with iOS 6 also which would not work at all.

I have the impression that the next gen will feature a lot more sensors as well.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    I have the impression that the next gen will feature a lot more sensors as well.

I've no doubt you're right, we'll see more added to the 2nd Gen, same will probabaly be true of the 3rd, 4th.......

It's an individual thing, deciding the tipping point between buy now or wait for the next version with as yet unknown additions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It was 2 years after release.

I believe the first iPad was released in Ireland in July 2010 and iOS 5 was released Autumn 2011 so the last release was a year later. iOS 6 came out 2 years after release and wasn't supported. It still works fine for Netflix but the experience has taught me not to buy a first gen Apple product. I'm also tempted by the new ultra thin macbook but will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Lads, will I be able to have both my AW and my Bluetooth headphones connected to my phone at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

yermandan wrote: »
    Lads, will I be able to have both my AW and my Bluetooth headphones connected to my phone at the same time?

Yep, I have my watch and my car connected at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Well that's mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

tonylee wrote: »
    Had mine since the end of May and really like it. I’ve been a fan of smartwatches since getting the original Pebble a few years ago.

The Apple watch does a lot more and has better (obviously) integration with the iPhone than the Pebble has. It’s important to use the apple watch app on the phone to manage the frequency and type of notifications you get. Too many and they get annoying, too few defeats the purpose of the watch. Apart from the obvious ones, messages mail ,calendar and reminders, I use a few news alerts like RTE , the Guardian and NYT.

Hi. What RTE app are you using? I don't see any with Watch functionality. Thanks.

Dermoth wrote: »
    Hi. What RTE app are you using? I don't see any with Watch functionality. Thanks.

The watch shows every notification on the iPhone whether it has an app or not. As long as it does push notifications it'll show up on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Meanwhile probendi are trying to sue Apple.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/07/the-apple-iwatch-doesnt-exist-but-a-legal-fight-over-it-does/
    Probendi are an Irish company that made some headlines around the time of the launch of the Apple Watch.
    They had trademarked "iWatch" in Europe in the hopes of a big payday from apple to launch their own Android watch in the future, any day now honest.
    As for their lawsuit its a pretty frivolous claim that because when you search for iwatch on Google and Apple have an adwords ad that shows up, that breaches their trademark, despite the ad not mentioning iwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Invested in the 42mm while in the States recently.

A snazzy piece of kit and complements the phone. Looks well on the wrist. Have a few spigen clip on cases coming from Amazon to give it a bit of variety.

Anyone know where you could pick up cheap reliable straps? Seen a few on eBay but are they good quality/trustworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Anyone know where you could pick up cheap reliable straps? Seen a few on eBay but are they good quality/trustworthy?

I don't have one myself (have to save up first!) but my plan is to get one of the connectors and just swap in and out regular watch straps.

The Apple ones Re expensive but great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What's the best way to get an Apple Watch at the moment? The scalpers on Done Deal and Adverts are a no go at the moment. (€620 for a Sport 42MM? No thanks!)...

Is Parcel Motel working again? The Euro/£ exchange rate is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dmcg90 wrote: »
    What's the best way to get an Apple Watch at the moment? The scalpers on Done Deal and Adverts are a no go at the moment. (€620 for a Sport 42MM? No thanks!)...

Parcel motel still works.

It's not just the £/€ exchange rate, the euro is just pants at the moment. Same with the dollar. I picked one up for 420 USD inc sales tax last week in the States. Worked out around 400 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Surely this thing will go on worldwide release soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

neilc wrote: »
    Surely this thing will go on worldwide release soon!

Apple's financials are tomorrow, perfect time for an announcement! *Crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AgamVark

Apple's financials are tomorrow, perfect time for an announcement! *Crosses fingers*

Apple Watch still not for sale in Ireland and no idea when it will be. :(

If I order from the UK using PM how are warranty issues handled? Can I go to the Belfast store for repairs or would I have to post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm personally surprised it still hasn't launched here, I think if it did launch earlier I would of been very tempted but for now I'm not picking this one up.

Warranty issues should be fine no matter where you buy from, only thing is i'd up the insurance coverage on Parcel Motel just to be safe.

I bought mine in the states and had an issue with freezing and called the ROI helpline, no issues with repair / replacement.

I bought mine in the states and had an issue with freezing and called the ROI helpline, no issues with repair / replacement.

Thanks for your reply.

So where was the repair work actually done? Did you have to post the watch to be fixed?

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm personally surprised it still hasn't launched here, I think if it did launch earlier I would of been very tempted but for now I'm not picking this one up.

Warranty issues should be fine no matter where you buy from, only thing is i'd up the insurance coverage on Parcel Motel just to be safe.

Yeah, it's difficult to impulse buy a product when you have to jump through hoops to get it! :)

AgamVark wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

So where was the repair work actually done? Did you have to post the watch to be fixed?

They sent me a pre-paid UPS envelope.

I called UPS and they collected it next day. It was sent to somewhere in the UK if i recall.

Unsure if I got a new device or was it repaired, looks brand new to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They sent me a pre-paid UPS envelope.

I called UPS and they collected it next day. It was sent to somewhere in the UK if i recall.

Unsure if I got a new device or was it repaired, looks brand new to be honest.

If you get a replacement device they send you an email confirming a change in serial numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I have the watch 2 weeks now and I'm not overly impressed with it I know it's only the first version of the OS but it is extremely buggie and the lag on it at times is annoying. I have treated the watch with the up most care but there are tiny scratches on it already very annoying.

Advertisement