Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At least compare like with like if you're going to complain about it.

its a watch, it tells time. telling the time is the primary function of any watch.

I do get what your saying, I love my tech, I love my Apple products, but I just don't see the need to get one of these.
    If I get one (which I could still very well do), I could see it sitting on my desk more than on my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

its a watch, it tells time. telling the time is the primary function of any watch.

And the primary function of a phone is making phone calls. So lets all go back to nokia 3310's.

Smart phones and smart watches are entirely different markets to phones and mechanical watches. You're hopeless if you can't understand that.
    I do get what your saying, I love my tech, I love my Apple products, but I just don't see the need to get one of these.
    If I get one (which I could still very well do), I could see it sitting on my desk more than on my wrist.

That's the thing with all consumer tech though - There's generally no need to get it. It's just nice gadgets that may improve your life or make you happy in some tiny way. Everyone who has an iPhone is still going to be perfectly happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

To me the watch is a secondary HUD like device for your iPhone and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Zcott wrote: »
    iPhones have an activation lock so they're useless to anyone apart from the owner...I wouldn't be surprised if the watch had something similar where it would only work when paired to a certain phone.

Didn't prevent a guy from robbing mine. I first tried to track it and then requested a remote wipe but it never showed up on FindMyIphone again.

They are selling them 50-100 euros "for parts". I didn't realise before this happened to me but there are many ads for iPhones which are activation locked on adverts.ie (and I am told a number of phone repair shops are not to concerned about where it comes from if someone is selling it to them for cheap).

Activation lock is a very good thing and it is making life more complicated and less profitable for thieves, but unfortunately it is not making you phone as worthless to them as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I think this is a smart watch, no?

• Advertisement

IMO, people need to stop comparing it to regular watches. Smart watches are technology products, not mechanical watches. It's also non-essential, as are most consumer electronics. All new tech is expensive and needs to be replaced after a few years. It's more comparable to consoles and other consumer electronics than it ever will be to a mechanical watch. At least compare like with like if you're going to complain about it.

Sure it is different from a regular watch and definitely some of the value comes from the technology inside. But I think one valid point of comparison is that both products are competing to be worn on your wrist, and both are marketed as some type of fashion/luxury item. From that perspective they are in competition. And if people think the Apple Watch is subpar in terms of longevity and craft compared to their nice watch, Apple has to be sure the additional functionalities are making up for that gap. It is probably the whole discussion here: are there enough use cases for the device beyond telling time?

Also if you look at Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/watch/), here are the 3 themes they are promoting (in that order):
    - An incredibly precise timepiece.
    - Entirely new ways to stay in touch.
    - A smarter way to look at fitness.

See which one is first ... Apple's marketing wants people to think of it as a luxury watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bob24 wrote: »
    From that perspective they are in competition.
    Yes and no. They're different markets and they'll be targeting very different audiences. Neither is directly competing with the other IMO.
    Also if you look at Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/watch/), here are the 3 themes they are promoting (in that order):
    - An incredibly precise timepiece.
    - Entirely new ways to stay in touch.
    - A smarter way to look at fitness.

See which one is first ...

It has watch in the name. It would be pretty retarded if they didn't mention its timekeeping ability.
    Apple's marketing wants people to think of it as a luxury watch.
    Luxury smart watch

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Any one know if I can pre order on the uk site with an Irish credit card, Irish billing address but uk delivery address (parcel motel)?

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    Any one know if I can pre order on the uk site with an Irish credit card, Irish billing address but uk delivery address (parcel motel)?

Shouldn't be an issue. I got 2 iPhones from the UK store through parcel motel and using an Irish Visa card.

As far as I remember, the only thing is they won't let you enter an Irish contact phone number.

Also do consider bumping up the amount of PM's liability in case the package gets lost by them (there is a fee but it's not crazy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Didn't prevent a guy from robbing mine. I first tried to track it and then requested a remote wipe but it never showed up on FindMyIphone again.

Your remote wipe worked then.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Your remote wipe worked then.

No. I mean FindMyIphone lost contact with the phone a few minutes after it was stolen and never again gave me the location of the phone or confirmed it was wiped. The phone is still attached to my iCloud account and marked as pending my request (as well as listed as activation locked if you search the IMEI number on Apple's website). The guy just turned it off immediately and I think it was never turned back on and connected to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

And the primary function of a phone is making phone calls. So lets all go back to nokia 3310's.

Good analogy.

There's no point in comparing this "watch" to other "normal" timekeeping watches. It is an attempt at something different.

Personally, I can't see myself buying this first release. Apple products tend to be better value in the further iterations. There would have been a lot of ideas/tech/features left out of the first version due to timelines/feasibility/cost.

Plus I'd feel like a tit in being an early adopter of such a device :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Shouldn't be an issue. I got 2 iPhones from the UK store through parcel motel and using an Irish Visa card.

As far as I remember, the only thing is they won't let you enter an Irish contact phone number.

Also do consider bumping up the amount of PM's liability in case the package gets lost by them (there is a fee but it's not crazy)

Anyone know of its possible to preorder with a Irish visa card a collect it in the store in Belfast/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone know of its possible to preorder with a Irish visa card a collect it in the store in Belfast/

I'm sure you can, I prepaid for a Mac mini online with my Irish credit card (from Ireland), for pickup in store in Boston, and my mother just went in and picked it up, about 10 minutes later.

Easiest transaction I've ever made!!

You'll be grand. It's Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

And instead of having a €600-€900 iPhone that can be mugged off you, you've now got a €300-€1,000 smart watch as well.

mugger: Give me your Apple watch or else..
    victim: ok
    mugger: and I'll be having your iPhone as well chief
    victim: :confused:

Trust me, a mugger/muggers would wet their pants if they tried that on me. Sounds like you'll need a few watches for yourself and not transfer you're rabid fear of muggings onto real men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

naasrd wrote: »
    Trust me, a mugger/muggers would wet their pants if they tried that on me. Sounds like you'll need a few watches for yourself and not transfer you're rabid fear of muggings onto real men.

A mugger pulls a knife and you think you're going to be some big hero by arguing back?

I value my life more than some piece of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

What do ye think the chances are of Apple altering the way the interchangeable straps attach to the watch in a 2nd or 3rd generation? The straps are not cheap, and while someone might be convinced to upgrade the tech of the watch itself in a couple of years, I'd expect the straps to still be usable for a long time, and imagine people would be fairly p1ssed if they bought a couple of straps which become obsolete with 2nd gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Branoic wrote: »
    What do ye think the chances are of Apple altering the way the interchangeable straps attach to the watch in a 2nd or 3rd generation? The straps are not cheap, and while someone might be convinced to upgrade the tech of the watch itself in a couple of years, I'd expect the straps to still be usable for a long time, and imagine people would be fairly p1ssed if they bought a couple of straps which become obsolete with 2nd gen.

My guess is they won't change for the second gen or maybe even the third but the watch itself will undoubtedly get thinner with every generation so the strap attachment area will have to follow.
    I would expect that if your taking on and off the watch to charge every day using the sports band or leather strap they are going to be the first thing to wear out . I would guess the most common part of a watch to fail is the strap .
    The sports watch will probably be upgraded by people like the iPhone cycle(every 2 years),
    Its aluminium ,its gonna wear!
    The steel watch is maybe seen as more of a piece of jewellery, especially if you start buying the expensive steel bands . Your not gonna want to be upgrading this too often.
    The gold watch : No comment!

I don't think they will change the attachement mechanism for the sake of changing it. But on the other hand if they have a design reason for doing it (for exemple if they alter the shape of the watch and need to adjust the straps accordingly) I don't think they would hesitate for a second.

I'd say 80% chances the straps will be useable with the new models to be released in the coming 3 years. After that, difficult to predict: the Apple Watch is a very new product and it could drastically evolve in a direction we can't think of today, or (unlikely) be a total commercial failure and stop being available.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That thought had crossed my mind. In a vain attempt to justify spending 1000 Euro on a toy piece of jewelery gimmick.

In way, it kinda makes sense - you spend (in some cases) upwards for 500 Euro on a strap, but it can be used with (as others have suggested) the next 2 or possibly 3 generations of the watch. So you are upgrading the tech, but not the jewelery component.

Still can't justify it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I wasn't so sure about the necessity for this watch when I can do most of the functions on my phone, but then a friend mentioned "why do you wear a watch to tell the time when you can just use the phone instead?" - and I kind of get his argument. It's more convenient, ultimately. This might actually be the case with the Apple watch....anyway I'll see if it really takes off before jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

How can the Apple Watch icon be removed from the phone? I updated the software on my phone earlier, and this appeared on it

How can the Apple Warch icon be removed from the phone? I updated the software on my phone earlier, and this appeared on it

It's like other apps which come bundled with iOS - can't be deleted.

Apple is probably doing this to get a bit of free advertisement and get some more iPhone users to thing about getting the watch. I'm personally not too impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's like other apps which come bundled with iOS - can't be deleted.

Apple is probably doing this to get a bit of free advertisement and get some more iPhone users to thing about getting the watch. I'm personally not too impressed with that.

FFS. OH did same to her phone(iPhone 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just move it into a folder. If you get this worked up about an icon I'd hate to see how ye deal with an actual issue/problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I have had every single iphone to date and have a fetish for watches(currently have 17) some expensive some not and now both are combined will I buy it definitely not (well I'm saying that anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I have had every single iphone to date and have a fetish for watches(currently have 17) some expensive some not and now both are combined will I buy it definitely not (well I'm saying that anyway)

In what way are they combined? The watch can't do lots of things the iPhone does and won't work without one.

I don't know if anyone here listens to NewsTalk tech slot but Jessica Kelly was speaking about the Apple Watch last week & was saying that you could leave your phone at home and go for a run and still get your notifications. I assume this is false info as you're getting the notifications from Bluetooth right?

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone here listens to NewsTalk tech slot but Jessica Kelly was speaking about the Apple Watch last week & was saying that you could leave your phone at home and go for a run and still get your notifications. I assume this is false info as you're getting the notifications from Bluetooth right?

The watch will definitly be in offline mode if it is away from your phone, so definitly no notification that comes from the Internet.
    Will it synchronise things like reminders and still give you alerts for these - that I don't know.

The only thing I have seen clearly mentioned about offline mode is that it will record your fitness data and it can store and play some of your music.

• Advertisement

The watch will definitly be in offline mode if it is away from your phone, so definitly no notification that comes from the Internet.
    Will it synchronise things like reminders and still give you alerts for these - that I don't know.

The only thing I have seen clearly mentioned about offline mode is that it will record your fitness data and it can store and play some of your music.

Yeah isn't it something like 2gb of music. Essentially iPod shuffle style there.

Advertisement