Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Are they only going to be sold online or will stores like Compu B have them?

Dixons/Currys/PC World are due to start selling them in the UK so I'd imagine they'll also stock them in the Irish stores

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Are they only going to be sold online or will stores like Compu B have them?

I was in iConnect on Henry St the other day and the guy there showed me a stand that was being built which they assumed was for the Watchbut he wasn't 100% sure. It was all a bit shrouded in mystery (This was before the announcement of the Irish selling date).

He did say they'd have a full range of bands and accessories in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The following is a great article by David Pogue which very succinctly sets out the design flaws in WatchOS and how to fix them. It is well worth reading in full:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-humble-proposition-how-to-fix-the-apple-watch-129185196924.html?src=rss

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tallpaul wrote: »
    The following is a great article by David Pogue which very succinctly sets out the design flaws in WatchOS and how to fix them. It is well worth reading in full:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-humble-proposition-how-to-fix-the-apple-watch-129185196924.html?src=rss
    he had a point up until this:
    How many ways are there to navigate using a phone’s touchscreen? Four: tap, swipe, tap-and-hold, or pinch.

But on the Apple Watch, there are seven navigation tools: Turn the crown (the knob on the side). Click the crown inward. Tap the side button. Hold in the side button. Tap the screen. Hard-press the screen. Swipe across the screen.

he neglects the home button so let's see how it stacks up now;

5. press home button
    6. rest finger on home button to unlock
    7. double tap home button for reachability
    8. double press for multiasking.
    9. press and hold for siri.

If you have accessibility turned on there's more.

even if you just count the screen, there's even more that he neglected;

5. two finger tap.
    6. three finger tap.
    7. three finger swipe.
    8. four finger swipe.
    9. four finger pinch.

noted these are primarily used on the iPad but are available on the phone to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I stopped reading when he forgot about the home button.

Extremely flawed article which leaves me wondering whether Pogue has actually used an iPhone. Pundits should stick to punditry me thinks and leave design to the designers. There's a learning curve with all devices. But people have an annoying habit of forgetting this after learning it. Macs are easier to use than Windows, but trying telling that someone who has used Windows for 20 years.

The more fundamental problem with the watch isn’t the layout of the UI or the number of inputs, but that it requires so much physical interaction in the first place. The future of wearables IMO is in voice control, proactive assistance and gestures. Who really wants to be looking at and touching their watch all the time? It’s bad enough that phones have become so large that we now need two hands to use them.

• Advertisement

Anyone else noticing the exercise tracking seems to have gone wonky since the update? Like, I got a little ping at 11am telling me I had completed 32 minutes of exercise today- I really couldn't have by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Anyone else noticing the exercise tracking seems to have gone wonky since the update? Like, I got a little ping at 11am telling me I had completed 32 minutes of exercise today- I really couldn't have by that time.

It seems to be easier to fill the exercise ring now and harder to fill the calorie ring. They seem to be tweaking it in every release and haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Gah my battery just dropped from about 80% to 12% in the space of 2 minutes! I used to get well over a full day of wear and use before os2. Seems like it really wasn't ready to have been released, I haven't even seen any increase in speed or anything. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Gah my battery just dropped from about 80% to 12% in the space of 2 minutes! I used to get well over a full day of wear and use before os2. Seems like it really wasn't ready to have been released, I haven't even seen any increase in speed or anything. :mad:

I wouldn't have thought there would be any great improvement unless they're native apps? Are developers updating there apps yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Try re-pairing your watch, that worked for me. Lost all the exercise data though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Took mine off the charger at 10am, and it's currently at 91%...no issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

Zcott wrote: »
    It seems to be easier to fill the exercise ring now and harder to fill the calorie ring. They seem to be tweaking it in every release and haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Yes, much easier to fill green exercise ring now. And calorie ring much harder to fill. Not sure if pre update way was more accurate or if this new adjustment is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just noticed a load of scrapes on my watch face this morning..I must have glanced it of something but its at the top and bottom of the face which doesn't seem right. I'm fair pissed as to be honest all the watches should be sapphire glass..for that price they can well afford it.
    Even watches around the 100 euro mark have sapphire glass on them.
    Looking online there seems to be loads of complaints about scratches just appearing. FRom looking at mine it looks like it could be caused by my jumper sleeves as both top/bottom are scratched identically which wouldnt' come from a blow of something,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Blazer wrote: »
    Just noticed a load of scrapes on my watch face this morning..I must have glanced it of something but its at the top and bottom of the face which doesn't seem right. I'm fair pissed as to be honest all the watches should be sapphire glass..for that price they can well afford it.
    Even watches around the 100 euro mark have sapphire glass on them.
    Looking online there seems to be loads of complaints about scratches just appearing. FRom looking at mine it looks like it could be caused by my jumper sleeves as both top/bottom are scratched identically which wouldnt' come from a blow of something,.

I have the same problem myself as I bought it in the U.S Apple could not arrange a replacement over the phone as it's available here now I will arrange for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Can anyone give any first hand experience on the watch and having full tattoo sleeves?... I have full sleeves myself and talk of the watch not working correctly has been my main reason for not getting one so far.

Anyone any experience at all with this issue please?
    The current work around is turning off wrist detection... Would that mean the watch stays on all the time even when you aren't looking at it?

wrist detection is the security feature of the watch, i.e. it locks and requires a pin code if you take it off. the wrist motion is what turns on the watch when you turn your wrist.

My advice would be to get yourself to CompuB or iConnect and try on a working watch to make sure it'll work with your sleeves. If I remember correctly it was more a problem for people with darker skin or black ink tattoos (something to do with the type of ink used)*

I have the same problem myself as I bought it in the U.S Apple could not arrange a replacement over the phone as it's available here now I will arrange for a replacement.

yeah I rang them this morning but the repair link for ireland wasn't opened yet.
    The chap on the phone assigned me a case number and asked me to call back on Monday and they would arrange a replacement. Good old Apple...their replacement service is second to none.

On the watch side everyone is fascinated by it and what it can do.
    The best example was explaining how an email came in while driving which I needed to respond to and I simply spoke into the watch and it wrote it with 100% accuracy. They were very impressed with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah I rang them this morning but the repair link for ireland wasn't opened yet.
    The chap on the phone assigned me a case number and asked me to call back on Monday and they would arrange a replacement. Good old Apple...their replacement service is second to none.

On the watch side everyone is fascinated by it and what it can do.
    The best example was explaining how an email came in while driving which I needed to respond to and I simply spoke into the watch and it wrote it with 100% accuracy. They were very impressed with that.

I spoke to a senior adviser in Cork and I have emailed him pictures of the scratches he said he will review them with an engineer and get back to me. I don't think it is going to be as straight forward as I thought. I will report back when Apple get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

DubDJ wrote: »
    Price is the reason I haven't picked up the Apple Watch. At €349 it would of been a hard sell for me, anything over is too much. It is essentionaly an iPhone accessory too which means you need both which is over €1k.

Unfortunately there's no alternatives that are as appealing at the moment. One or two Android wear watches look decent enough with iOS support but because they don't have the full feature set when paired with iOS and they are usually a little more expensive too for a nice one I haven't found any good reason to buy.

I was hoping the second gen Apple Watch would be a big step ahead and get a price cut but the way prices have gone lately I wouldn't hold my breath.
    New pebble round? Have the pebble and will be getting this new one for xmas ...love the pebble it does everything I need anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

harr wrote: »
    New pebble round? Have the pebble and will be getting this new one for xmas ...love the pebble it does everything I need anyway...

I find design is something that's important to me, especially so with a watch. The pebble watches haven't ever appealed to me, design wise and the actual software I'm not into either. I prefer the high def screen with the more detailed UI opposed to the pebble way of doing it.

• Advertisement

I spoke to a senior adviser in Cork and I have emailed him pictures of the scratches he said he will review them with an engineer and get back to me. I don't think it is going to be as straight forward as I thought. I will report back when Apple get back to me.

If you google you'll see that a few people had these issues also and Apple replaced them with no fuss whatsoever. Fingers crossed for us to :)
    The fact I only had mine 4 days and that it was flawless this last night which I had explained to the guy which might have swung it in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Says i am not connected to the internet when trying to update watch. Restarted both devices with no avail.

Any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

dingding wrote: »
    Says i am not connected to the internet when trying to update watch. Restarted both devices with no avail.

Any ideas.

I unpaired the watch and set it up again from a backup and this worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Finally got to try the Apple Watch I person yesterday in iConnect. First thing I noticed is how small it was compared to what you'd imagine, both models looked a lot smaller than I would of thought.

The screen looks a lot better too, much clearer and the colours are vivid. Most of the videos and photos don't do it justice. Looked nicer in person too.

Didn't get to try it out too much as it was running in store mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Picked apple sport watch 42mm yesterday.

Spent the eve updating to watch os2, and just playing around with it generally. Tbh, I'm already impressed by its functionality (i.e. get text message notification, dictate response with perfect accuracy, and send. All seamless).

I think it's going to be a product that I use more and more as time goes on, now with native apps etc. As with most apple products, it will probably be a thing I become quite dependent on and it becomes the norm for me.

Would also be keen to hear peoples' thoughts on what apps / functionality they are using it most for.

On a more general point, tried on both the apple sport and watch yesterday in Compu B. I couldn't really see the difference to justify the big difference in price. Picked up one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011992EP4/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item also.

^^ that strap looks pretty nice and reviews seem to be good.
    Let us know your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Another Apple Watch owner here.. and I'm quite happy with the watch. It does a lot more than I thought, with the watchOS 2 update there's a lot more functionality coming from the device now. Yes, it's a bit pricey but it does a lot more and feels like a lot more than other devices of this kind on the market.

There were two major decisions I found myself making prior to purchase.. finish and band. I was curious to see if the standard Watch model would be worth the extra pennies for the shiny 316L Stainless steel, but in the end I went for this model, considering the 42mm variant would be the obvious choice for myself. I would be using this in more outdoors scenarios than at an art gallery opening or at a fancy restaurant.

One of the only concerns I had was the fitting of the watch, as I'm located in Waterford I wasn't too keen on a trip to Compu B in Cork, nor especially a trip to Victoria Square in Belfast. So I hedged my bets and hoped for the best.. and my oh my does it fit well.

The main purpose behind purchasing the watch, aside from just having the device, is to help with using it for work when needed. Might give you a hint as to where I work too. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I have the exact same model Steve! ;)

You should have bought two, would have came out to the same price as one for us mere mortals! ;)

Red strap finally came today. I'm loving my Apple Watch however my only regret is I didn't go for the stainless steel version.

g7O32WF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Red strap finally came today. I'm loving my Apple Watch however my only regret is I didn't go for the stainless steel version.

g7O32WF.jpg

You work for Apple too? :D

Advertisement