Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You work for Apple too? :D

jesus no, Cork is all well and good like but wouldn't catch me living down there boy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I like the look of the gold aluminum with midnight blue sport strap on the website, is the gold a bit 'girly' for a man i wonder or does it look good on? Also, can you get a silver with black strap or are you limited to the selection they have on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

xabi wrote: »
    I like the look of the gold aluminum with midnight blue sport strap on the website, is the gold a bit 'girly' for a man i wonder or does it look good on? Also, can you get a silver with black strap or are you limited to the selection they have on the website?

You're stuck with what they have on the site.

I believe if you go in store to an official Apple store they will let you swap it out for different colour.

I purchased a replica black sports strap on eBay and I cant tell the difference.

Black strap looks great on the black watch BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

xabi wrote: »

I think that combo looks great, guys wear gold watches all the time. Im slightly regretting pulling the trigger on getting mine so soon, if I'd held for 6 weeks I could have gotten the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

eeloe wrote: »
    I have the exact same model Steve! ;)

You should have bought two, would have came out to the same price as one for us mere mortals! ;)

I could have done, but I'm not too keen on having two Apple watches, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Getting mine in 2 weeks ! Really torn on what one to get. Yes the gold and blue looks most appealing but I feel it's looks like a going out watch not a exercise watch!
    Or soace grey !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm currently debating which one to get myself. Gold and rose gold both look lovely but I generally prefer silver or white gold jewelley so I don't trust myself not to regret getting gold or rose gold in a few weeks. Not a fan of the straps with the silver then so I'll have to buy another strap straight away. Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

If I go to Computer B on dundrum, will they have a demo model so I can check if my tattoos are going to interfere and how badly?
    I'm pretty sure the HR will be messed up... That's disappointing but I can deal... If I have to wear it with wrist detection disabled then I think it's a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Just got off chat support about a mysterious scratch on the face on mine [SBSS]. II have it a month & this appeared two days after I got it. I must have struck it off something but can't recall what & it seems that it shouldn't be that easy to scratch.

There's been a couple of minor surface scratches since & they're not really noticeable, but still, again, shouldn't be that easy to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

If I go to Computer B on dundrum, will they have a demo model so I can check if my tattoos are going to interfere and how badly?
    I'm pretty sure the HR will be messed up... That's disappointing but I can deal... If I have to wear it with wrist detection disabled then I think it's a deal breaker for me.

Was in during the week looking at them, and unfortunately I don't think this is possible. The demo models in the table cannot be removed (and are in demo mode anyway), and while they do have try-on models, both the ones I looked at were turned off.

Maybe give them a call and ask beforehand? Maybe they're allowed to turn them on during the try-ons, but I wouldn't bother going out especially for that without asking beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Was in during the week looking at them, and unfortunately I don't think this is possible. The demo models in the table cannot be removed (and are in demo mode anyway), and while they do have try-on models, both the ones I looked at were turned off.

Maybe give them a call and ask beforehand? Maybe they're allowed to turn them on during the try-ons, but I wouldn't bother going out especially for that without asking beforehand.

When I got my watch in the US, I made a booking for a fitting session, and then later bought it about 2 motnhs later when I was back in the US. Was obviously an Apple Store, but CompuB should do the same:

https://locate.apple.com/ie/en/sales/?pt=6&lat=53.344104&lon=-6.2674937

there are two types of watch in store.

1. the demo units that are affixed in plastic, you can play around with with the OS and everything, but unless you have puny wrists you're not going to get it on you.

2. the try-on models, these are running a demo loop of software features and cannot be turn off the demo loop easily by the assistant. they provide demos of haptics and so forth.

your best bet is to ring ahead to compuB and ask them, the store assistants are all wearing apple watches whether these are non-demo live models or just there for show i'm not sure but if they are I wonder if you explained the situation to them would they be nice enough to let you try one on for the purpose of checking if the skin detection features work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

12022356_1072624469414584_6305801036851259227_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Tried in Belfast yesterday to see which one I like more.. I think i'll go for 42 (left) what do you guys think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Asmooh wrote: »

Tried in Belfast yesterday to see which one I like more.. I think i'll go for 42 (left) what do you guys think? :)

Looking to get one myself atm was going to go for 42 but looks big on the arm and I have baby wrists

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Asmooh wrote: »

The 42 looks bigger on the wrist than I thought. Funny, I've held it in my hand but never put it on. Perhaps I'll get a 38 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

faceman wrote: »
    The 42 looks bigger on the wrist than I thought. Funny, I've held it in my hand but never put it on. Perhaps I'll get a 38 instead.

I went for the smaller one too after a try on session - glad I did as it fits peachy now

Dardania wrote: »
    I went for the smaller one too after a try on session - glad I did as it fits peachy now

I still don't know for sure haha :P the 38mm looks a bit small and somtimes I like "overdue" and it to really "show"

hard choice :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I tried on both and to be honest, i feel the 38mm looks more like a ladies watch, but saying that i do have chunky wrists.

eeloe wrote: »
    I tried on both and to be honest, i feel the 38mm looks more like a ladies watch, but saying that i do have chunky wrists.

You can change the colour of the band ofc, but it was more like I like the bigger version I think more.. dunno?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It really depends on wrist size, I think. I've seen people with skinny wrists wearing the 42 and it just looks way too big. If you're a normal sized fella the 42 should be good, but if you've small wrists like me, the 38mm is the one to go for. Plus it's cheaper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Red strap finally came today. I'm loving my Apple Watch however my only regret is I didn't go for the stainless steel version.

g7O32WF.jpg

Just wondering what complication you're using for the weather. Is it different to the standard weather app? I am using the same watch face but I don't have an animation in the weather complication....just the temperature. Thanks :-)

carrot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm an Apple fan but am I the only one here who finds the Apple Watch to be quite ugly?

Those (very large!) photos of the Gold ones above just look tacky to me.

The only other smart watch that looks as nice is the http://www2.withings.com/eu/en/products/activite tbh (even at that it's really only a step tracker tacked onto a watch). Yet to see a nice looking Pebble or Android Wear device.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm an Apple fan but am I the only one here who finds the Apple Watch to be quite ugly?

Those (very large!) photos of the Gold ones above just look tacky to me.

The gold ones are not to my taste, but the black stainless steel is genuinely beautiful in real life. The others (silver aluminum/steel, black aluminum) are also quite nice, but the black steel is properly gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

DivingDuck wrote: »
    The gold ones are not to my taste, but the black stainless steel is genuinely beautiful in real life. The others (silver aluminum/steel, black aluminum) are also quite nice, but the black steel is properly gorgeous.

With a price tag to match.

Like every other object known to man?

Apple do have a history of OTT price jumps on small differences (the extra memory on the iPhone springs to mind), but to be fair, the DLC coating does add another level of complexity to the manufacturing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

its definitely the one I'd pick if I could afford it..its bloody gorgeous..maybe gen 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Just an update with my Apple Watch repair. Apple are going to replace it for me so happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

'm debating on sending mine back...after I noticed the scratches I was more careful with the watch and discovered I was actually hopping it of swing doors at work so it was really my own fault. I could get it replaced as you never see the scratches dead on and in reality it would only be a week or two before the replacement one was scratched also so I'll probably hold off.

Advertisement