Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

thinking of picking one up while on honeymoon would i be better off getting in either vegas or san fran? i think the latter has less sales tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

thinking of picking one up while on honeymoon would i be better off getting in either vegas or san fran? i think the latter has less sales tax?

No sales tax in Vegas. There's about 8.5% adder in San Fran.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Dermoth wrote: »
    No sales tax in Vegas. There's about 8.5% adder in San Fran.

No sales tax in Vegas? news to me, i'm always charged 8% when i'm there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

eeloe wrote: »
    No sales tax in Vegas? news to me, i'm always charged 8% when i'm there.

Yeah it's about 8% in Vegas and about 9% in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

DivingDuck wrote: »
    The gold ones are not to my taste, but the black stainless steel is genuinely beautiful in real life. The others (silver aluminum/steel, black aluminum) are also quite nice, but the black steel is properly gorgeous.

I hope there's something I can match it with when I get my gold one. Maybe a gold stainless steel version? Or will the black stainless steel version fit also with the gold version? Really hard to tell and even harder if there is no place to check them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Asmooh wrote: »
    I hope there's something I can match it with when I get my gold one. Maybe a gold stainless steel version? Or will the black stainless steel version fit also with the gold version? Really hard to tell and even harder if there is no place to check them out

I'd be astonished if they ever did gold steel; it would look too similar to the Edition, and they won't risk alienating or offending those buyers since it's insanely profitable for them. I can't seem to find the article right now, but shortly after release, there was a percentage breakdown of the initial units sold per model. Although they sold comparatively few Editions versus Sports or Watches, they're so expensive that it made up something like 30% of revenue for the Watch in total? My guess would be Edition purchasers are buying them primarily for the cachet (considering there's very little practical difference), which would be diminished if they weren't instantly differentiated from the other models. I can't see anything that could be mistaken for an Edition being released, nor am I expecting a white gold/platinum Edition, either, as it would look too similar to the steel.

I'm not sure what you mean by the black steel working with the gold, but all the bands are interchangeable across models. You could wear a black steel band with your Edition, if you wanted, so long as you got the same size. If you look here, you can see what the different combinations would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I'm finding the battery on the watch is working out great but anyone else notice a huge impact on your iPhone battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

neilc wrote: »
    I'm finding the battery on the watch is working out great but anyone else notice a huge impact on your iPhone battery?

A constant bluetooth connection will do that.

Gave mine to my brother after a week - load of rubbish IMO. Really disappointed too, was looking forward to it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

anyone figure out how to get directions to home or work? I tried programming the addresses into my contact card, but the watch still doesn't know where home is...

I find its nav function great generally - eir code post codes will set it free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Dardania wrote: »
    anyone figure out how to get directions to home or work? I tried programming the addresses into my contact card, but the watch still doesn't know where home is...

I find its nav function great generally - eir code post codes will set it free

Does the phone know where home or work is?
    A constant bluetooth connection will do that.

Gave mine to my brother after a week - load of rubbish IMO. Really disappointed too, was looking forward to it for a while.

I haven't noticed huge battery drain, and i don't think a constant Bluetooth connection is the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any one having issues updating? I keep getting updated cant be verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

godtabh wrote: »
    Any one having issues updating? I keep getting updated cant be verified.
    people were getting that when OS 2 was released, a reboot of the watch and trying again fixed it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

a reboot of the watch and trying again fixed it for them.

And so begins a new era of technology, rebooting your watch.

actually sorry it wasn't the watch that was a typo, meant your phone.

still same thing though :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

actually sorry it wasn't the watch that was a typo, meant your phone.

still same thing though :pac:

Will try again later

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And so begins a new era of technology, rebooting your watch.

We're already in the age of recharging your book, having to plug in your cigarette and rebooting your watch :D

not to mention firmware upgrading your light bulbs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

lol, the Mrs thought I was joking. :D

Truly, we live in a marvellous age.

Maybe some day soon they'll even be able to make printers that aren't infuriating...

Maybe some day soon they'll even be able to make printers that aren't infuriating...
    maybe it's not the printers that are infuriating, maybe it's us.

<MIND_BLOWN.GIF>

• Advertisement

<MIND_BLOWN.GIF>

No, sorry; it's definitely the printers. :P

They're one of the last mechanical devices to let you down...

Zcott wrote: »

I haven't noticed huge battery drain, and i don't think a constant Bluetooth connection is the culprit.

Fair point - had a typo in the address - fixed it perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

<MIND_BLOWN.GIF>
    Epson ecotank problem solved!

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Epson ecotank problem solved!

Don't buy a printer in the first place, problem solved :D.

Anyways back to Apple Watch :)

I upgraded last night. Battry is gone to ****. Lasting less than 6 hours now!

Fully charged going to bed. 6 hours later less than 15%. Fully charged at 8:30. Now at 18%. WTF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

godtabh wrote: »
    I upgraded last night. Battry is gone to ****. Lasting less than 6 hours now!

Fully charged going to bed. 6 hours later less than 15%. Fully charged at 8:30. Now at 18%. WTF!!!

I had a similar problem. I unpaired and set up as a new watch and it helped massively, it's back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Zcott wrote: »

You're right, discovered it was nothing to do with the watch. In my iPhone battery settings there was an app I don't even use anymore using a crazy amount of battery. Deleted it and all is good again. Just a coincidence it coincided with getting the watch.

Good stuff, glad to hear you found the culprit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How are you guys finding its performance? I was 99% sold on getting one but I'm reading a lot of negative opinions on its performance, even since the release of watchOS 2. I own a Pebble, so don't need to be sold on a smartwatch, but I'm feeling more cautious towards it now.

Advertisement