Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just re-evaluate your friends, treat them like upgrading your iPhone/watch and get new ones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zcott wrote: »
    I usually end conversations like that with 'I like gadgets', and there's not much coming back from that.

I'm finding that works extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Have the watch since Saturday and have to say loving it . Only downside so far is no whatsapp app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

naasrd wrote: »
    Jesus, the reaction I'm getting from some friends is pitiful. And I'm talking about grown men with kids. I just laugh it off, but it is telling from their reactions that they're jealous. Not one has made an intelligent reason as to why they won't get one.

There's plenty of great reasons not to get one: the expense, the fact that the second-gen model will likely be a large step up in terms of design and user experience, the dislike some folks have for being constantly connected, the fact that you need a very recent iPhone for it to work, the fact that it can't do sleep tracking, the fact that it's not waterproof, the general physical fragility, the limited selection of apps, the questionable reliability of the fitness tracker...

That said: if you enjoy it, it's a good buy. If your friends are grown men with kids, you yourself should be old enough to ignore their opinions.

Despite the drawbacks above, I'm delighted with mine. If someone thinks it was a foolish purchase, they're entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to enjoy the product I didn't spend their money on. You'll never convince some people of the benefits of some products, and it's a waste to try. They'll either find themselves wearing one when they become as ubiquitous as the mobile phone in a few years time, or it'll remain a niche product they'll continue to rib you about, but neither one should have any impact on the enjoyment you get out of your own Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

DivingDuck wrote: »
    the fact that it can't do sleep tracking ...

Actually it can. I have been using sleep++ and it works great. Sleep++ by Cross Forward Consulting, LLC
    https://appsto.re/ie/ZEv59.i Try it out and see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Potus wrote: »
    Actually it can. I have been using sleep++ and it works great. Sleep++ by Cross Forward Consulting, LLC

I'll give this app a go, see how it goes.

I'll give this app a go, see how it goes.

He advises charging the watch up and then putting it on airplane mode before you go to bed. It only uses about 10% battery and the stats will show up in the health app if you give it permission. It's a very good app and nicely shows when you're restless during the night or in a deep sleep.

Potus wrote: »

I'm always wary of having mine on in bed in case I bash it off the headboard or the bedside table, but I might give this a go, so thanks for the heads up. You do still have to find time to charge it later, though...

I'm always wary of having mine on in bed in case I bash it off the headboard or the bedside table, but I might give this a go, so thanks for the heads up. You do still have to find time to charge it later, though...

I find that it's quick to charge in the morning as it has never gone below 80% so while I hop in the shower she's juiced up in no time. I charge it for a few mins before I hit the lights at night and that works. As for hitting it off the headboard or table yes that could be a problem. But I haven't done that as of yet. Anyway see what you think. I think the app is still free.

the fact that it can't do sleep tracking

so it's a disadvantage that it can't do sleep tracking, then you're worried about it hitting off stuff when sleeping? the fact it can't do sleep tracking out of the box can't be used as a disadvantage then imo.

• Advertisement

so it's a disadvantage that it can't do sleep tracking, then you're worried about it hitting off stuff when sleeping? the fact it can't do sleep tracking out of the box can't be used as a disadvantage then imo.

Yeah, but in the the poster's opinion it can. So best get over it and on with your day.

Wow I must have really rubbed you the wrong way in the past. Sorry for that, there's nothing really to 'get over' and I will get on with my day. Thanks!

The majority of the disadvantages I listed don't apply to me. The only real issues I personally have with it is that it's easily damaged and the battery doesn't last as long as I'd like if I'm using it extensively. I'm not overly hung up on sleep tracking, I don't care about the expense, I'm happy to accept that it will soon be usurped by a better model as all products are, I have no requirement for it to be waterproof, I have the necessary phone model required, etc.

But just because I don't care about a particular shortcoming, or am unaffected by it, doesn't mean it's not a disadvantage in general. These are still valid reasons why someone might not want a Watch, or why they might have one and wish it could do more. If you're used to a cheaper, more rugged, fitness tracking device with long battery life that can do sleep tracking out of the box and is totally waterproof, I can absolutely see why you might feel the Watch is a bit lacking.

That doesn't mean it's a bad device, it just means it doesn't currently meet some people's needs.

I get ya, tbh I do think it's a shortcoming that it doesn't do sleep tracking out of the box. There's a technically limitation as to why you need a 5 or above and it's due to bluetooth 4 LE, again understandable to us but to normals it's not (iPhone 4S has bluetooth 4 but i'm guessing battery is a concern for them). When you listed those disadvantages I thought they were yours, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do think there's two kind of people when it comes to Apple devices. One's who'll be an early adopter, the ones that don't mind that they'll spend x and within 12-18months there'll be a new shiny and the ones that want to get the best bang for buck.

I'm in both camps, I'm holding out for the macbook (12" retina) to get a bit beefier in a few revisions time, but was an early adopter on the watch/iPad/iPhone (although the iPhone was so ground breaking at the time I flew to the States for its launch).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Picked up my watch here in California couple of days ago. Like it so far and battery isn't as bad as I thought.

Nobody gives a crap over here about what gadgets you have so its easier to talk about it to people! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I picked up my watch in the Apple Store in NY .. hard not to impulse buy when you are there, and so far I do like the watch .. total gadget / toy but sure why not.

However, something weird - since I have gotten it my car kit has been acting up. When I start my car, the built-in bluetooth connects to the phone and then automatically dials my own number. I can only link this to having the watch as it never happened before and now happens every time I start the car!! really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone that uses the likes of run keeper or runtastic etc thinking of ditching them in favour of the watch's own built in monitor ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone that uses the likes of run keeper or runtastic etc thinking of ditching them in favour of the watch's own built in monitor ?

I use Nike Running and will continue to do so because of the social and Spotify linking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Software update out this morning to fix bugs

Software update out this morning to fix bugs

You sure about this? Not seeing it anywhere. There was one last week that you might have missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Update Apple did not replace my watch in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just got one in US. Immediately unhappy that Calendar synching for managed devices disabled. Then almost immediately delighted when 2.0.1 fixed that!

Any good lists of must-get apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

3DataModem wrote: »
    Just got one in US. Immediately unhappy that Calendar synching for managed devices disabled. Then almost immediately delighted when 2.0.1 fixed that!

Not really, in my case. It's a tool that alerts me when something needs to be addressed rather than something I spend time with using apps. Having said that, I have the usual Twitter, BBC news, Instagram, Flipboard, etc...but mostly it's for notifications.

3DataModem wrote: »

Think of the Watch as a mirror of your phone. It's not that there are must have apps but more that the apps you use having a Watch compatibility.

At first my Watch was just serving two purposes; a way from me to miss less calls and a way of getting notifications more conveniently.

However it's not evolved beyond that in a way I least expected it. I'm actually using my phone less for the basi stuff. I can send texts (via Siri), make quick phone calls, order a taxi, check the weather (Dark Skies is the best weather app for accuracy IMO), manage my calendar etc. My phone stays in its dock so much more now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Update Apple did not replace my watch in the end.

That's harsh. It wouldn't encourage me to get one after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

that OS update seems to have sorted out my issue with the watch auto dialling overtime I got in to the car !

Used CityMapper on a trip recently. Highly recommended app. As with Maps too, you don't even have to look constantly to see where/when your next turn is as the Watch gives you a haptic alert when it's time.

A word of warning for prospective buyers. I have the Sport edition which is made from a more durable aluminium material than the stainless steel.

I have a scratch on the body of mine after only a few weeks for reasons I don't know. While with Stainless Steel you can polish it out, with aluminium you can't.

I have used it during exercise yet nor does my day to day activity involve me doing anything that has anything risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have the sport too, and I haven't noticed any scrathces, and I'm not overly precious about it. The way I see it a watch is a watch, it's only a tool. No sense in getting bent out of shape about what really is natural wear & tear.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    A word of warning for prospective buyers. I have the Sport edition which is made from a more durable aluminium material than the stainless steel.

I have a scratch on the body of mine after only a few weeks for reasons I don't know. While with Stainless Steel you can polish it out, with aluminium you can't.

I have used it during exercise yet nor does my day to day activity involve me doing anything that has anything risky.

What I find astonishing is what's causing these scratches (and on iPhones too)? Are there tiny hairs, threads on a sleeve etc or minute particles doing this?

Advertisement