Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

faceman wrote: »
    A word of warning for prospective buyers. I have the Sport edition which is made from a more durable aluminium material than the stainless steel.

I have a scratch on the body of mine after only a few weeks for reasons I don't know. While with Stainless Steel you can polish it out, with aluminium you can't.

I have used it during exercise yet nor does my day to day activity involve me doing anything that has anything risky.

aluminium more durable than stainless steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cyrus wrote: »

Guessing that's a typo. Aluminium has lots of great properties, but it's far softer than stainless steel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cyrus wrote: »

Sorry less prone to scratching. Apple added some compound to the aluminium too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Graham wrote: »

€89 ?!?
    That's pushing it. I'll stick with my £10 Spigen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Ordered my Apple Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Which one did you go for?

42mm gold sports

Haggled with currys airport guy got 42mm space grey

Cancelled my order online lol

• Advertisement

Any tips lads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I barely even use mine now..I mean as in apps.
    Controlling music, replying to text messages in the car and email notifications. I always get comments on it and love it..everything is silenced on my phone and everything comes through the watch..would find it very hard now to do without it.

1. Turn phone on silent mode and disable vibration
    2. Turn off sound on the watch for notifications and just have haptic
    3. I leave sound on for calls but that's it.
    4. Only turn on vibration for certain emails..I use 4 emails including work so I have the watch only getting alerts for 2 of them.

The only thing I wish was that Apple would allow devs to release watch faces..
    I think they will in the long run as if you think about it every single person with a watch will get one.
    Apple could enforce only paid versions which means no crap hopefully and with a 20% cut I think they take it could prove extremely profitable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Anyone finding the Ulster Bank app isn't working?

Also came across a great parking app, Swift Finder. I always come out of Liffey Vally forgetting where I've parked. This thing remembers it without you doing a thing. As soon as you park the car it automatically saves where you are, even if you forget to do it yourself. And like the watch it also sends a sound out if you've mislaid your phone even if it's on silent or has EarPods in.

https://appsto.re/ie/KRGk7.i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gaygooner wrote: »
    Haggled with currys airport guy got 42mm space grey

When you say haggled, how much did you get him to reduce the price by?

OU812 wrote: »
    €89 ?!?
    That's pushing it. I'll stick with my £10 Spigen

What's this?

When you say haggled, how much did you get him to reduce the price by?

€20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Gaygooner wrote: »
    What's this?

Amazon

51Rsp-yLWqL._SL1000_.jpg

Has one of those micro sucker pads on the bottom that stops it moving, although you can reposition it if you want. Find it great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It would be great if the watch had a vibrate feature to notify you when it's disconnected from the phone. I walked away from the car this morning with my phone inside and had to trek back 10mins to get it again when I realised it wasn't in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

smash wrote: »
    It would be great if the watch had a vibrate feature to notify you when it's disconnected from the phone. I walked away from the car this morning with my phone inside and had to trek back 10mins to get it again when I realised it wasn't in my pocket.

thats my only disappointment with it so far .. I assumed it was a standard feature, I can't find any 3rd party app for it either

whippet wrote: »
    thats my only disappointment with it so far .. I assumed it was a standard feature, I can't find any 3rd party app for it either
    Well that, and the fact that you can't access find my phone from the watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Well that, and the fact that you can't access find my phone from the watch.

Sure you can. Well, you can ping it anyway

miralize wrote: »
    Sure you can. Well, you can ping it anyway
    Maybe you can ping the watch from your phone, but on my watch I can't find the find my phone app anywhere. Not even in the watch settings on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Maybe you can ping the watch from your phone, but on my watch I can't find the find my phone app anywhere. Not even in the watch settings on the phone.

Swipe up to bring up your glances, scroll until you find the screen with the airplane mode/Do Not Disturb/Silent Mode. The phone icon on the bottom left will ping your phone. It wont tell you where it is if you've left it in your car but around the house/office/wifi/bluetooth zone it will.

brianomc wrote: »
    Swipe up to bring up your glances, scroll until you find the screen with the airplane mode/Do Not Disturb/Silent Mode. The phone icon on the bottom left will ping your phone. It wont tell you where it is if you've left it in your car but around the house/office/wifi/bluetooth zone it will.
    I guess the feature I want is to be able to ping the phone quickly and mark it as stolen. Like if someone swiped the phone from your hand you could chase them but very quickly mark it as stolen and set iCloud to track it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Ah right, it would be nice but would be too unreliable for apple to add it I suppose. Your watch has no connection to the internet without your phone to connect through when outside (ignoring known wifi networks). So as soon as they are out of bluetooth range it wouldn't work.

brianomc wrote: »
    Ah right, it would be nice but would be too unreliable for apple to add it I suppose. Your watch has no connection to the internet without your phone to connect through when outside (ignoring known wifi networks). So as soon as they are out of bluetooth range it wouldn't work.
    I know, that's my point. A quick access and set would be great before they get out of range. I think the range is around 50 meters so it would be possible and very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Blazer wrote: »
    I barely even use mine now..I mean as in apps.
    Controlling music, replying to text messages in the car and email notifications. I always get comments on it and love it..everything is silenced on my phone and everything comes through the watch..would find it very hard now to do without it.

1. Turn phone on silent mode and disable vibration
    2. Turn off sound on the watch for notifications and just have haptic
    3. I leave sound on for calls but that's it.
    4. Only turn on vibration for certain emails..I use 4 emails including work so I have the watch only getting alerts for 2 of them.

The only thing I wish was that Apple would allow devs to release watch faces..
    I think they will in the long run as if you think about it every single person with a watch will get one.
    Apple could enforce only paid versions which means no crap hopefully and with a 20% cut I think they take it could prove extremely profitable for them.
    Was thinking of buying one of these but my €129 pebble does all of the above including the Bluetooth phone disconnect so I can't justify it I'm afraid.

patmac wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying one of these but my €129 pebble does all of the above including the Bluetooth phone disconnect so I can't justify it I'm afraid.

That's probably a sensible decision, the Apple Watch wouldn't have been a great companion for your OnePlus 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Graham wrote: »
    That's probably a sensible decision, the Apple Watch wouldn't have been a great companion for your OnePlus 2.

Fair play. I had a an Iphone before the oneplus 2 and did a lot of research into the Apple Watch and am delighted I didn't spend the extra €400 on the Iwatch and €800-900 on the upgrade to the Iphone6, sorry if that offends anyone. Apple were/are great but their are cheaper and better alternatives.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Fair play. I had a an Iphone before the oneplus 2 and did a lot of research into the Apple Watch and am delighted I didn't spend the extra €400 on the Iwatch and €800-900 on the upgrade to the Iphone6, sorry if that offends anyone. Apple were/are great but their are cheaper and better alternatives.

I can't speak for everyone but I wasn't offended at all, in fact your post reminded me to visit the BMW forum to tell random people I'd decided on a Skoda because it was cheaper and did everything the BMW could do ;)

Advertisement