Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

patmac wrote: »
    Fair play. I had a an Iphone before the oneplus 2 and did a lot of research into the Apple Watch and am delighted I didn't spend the extra €400 on the Iwatch and €800-900 on the upgrade to the Iphone6, sorry if that offends anyone. Apple were/are great but their are cheaper and better alternatives.

iPhone & Apple Watch btw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Graham wrote: »
    I can't speak for everyone but I wasn't offended at all, in fact your post reminded me to visit the BMW forum to tell random people I'd decided on a Skoda because it was cheaper and did everything the BMW could do ;)

I was so tempted by the Pebble, and I'm an avid apple user. But the look of the watch put me off in the end. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

faceman wrote: »
    I was so tempted by the Pebble, and I'm an avid apple user. But the look of the watch put me off in the end. :(

I was the same, but seeing as the pebble is €70, waterproof, and works with the iPhone it'll do me for exercising and walking. Might have a look at Apple watch v2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

faceman wrote: »

i got the pebble and cant fault it :) very handy if your into fitness etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I can't speak for everyone but I wasn't offended at all, in fact your post reminded me to visit the BMW forum to tell random people I'd decided on a Skoda because it was cheaper and did everything the BMW could do ;)

Don't forget to say that the Skoda looks and drives better, has more room and a much bigger petrol tank. Oh and also you can go anywhere in the car not just the routes that BMW allow. And also remind the BMW forum that all you are really paying for is the BMW brand and not the quality of the car and that they prefer to create cars that look good over usability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Christ some lads have a very sad life that a brand upsets them so much.

If you don't like Apple then avoid their products and let everyone else get on with it ffs.

Mourinho wrote: »
    Christ some lads have a very sad life that a brand upsets them so much.

If you don't like Apple then avoid their products and let everyone else get on with it ffs.

It's not the brand that annoys me. I think Apple are a very good company and even though I don't like their product I can certainly respect their business model.

What does annoy me is the fanboy user base of their products. I am just sick of all the crap I hear about Apple. I'll give you a few examples.

6 months prior to the apple watch being released I heard someone say. "I wouldn't use a smart watch unless apple comes out with one because you know it will be the best one." These guys don't even know what features the watch will have but somehow it's better?

A friend of mine had a choice between €500 asus laptop with 4gb of ram and a decent processor but went with a €1200 macbook with a substandard processor and 2gb of ram because "Macs are better". He then complains about it because he has to buy a display port to hdmi adapter. If he spent that on a laptop he could have a machine that could play high end games (guy is a gamer) and now the laptop he has can barely handle 1080p

Or a personal favourite of mine, "Macs are better for designers". You usually hear this from someone some dope who did a 1 year course in design in DIT and calls themselves graphic designers because they know how to add a few filters in photoshop.

If you use an iPhone fair enough, but don't say stupid things about Android if you've never bothered to try one. iOS has a lot of limitations, for got sake they only way you can load your music on it is to use iTunes while Android has been drap and drop since inception and when I hear people comparing iPhones vs Android to the BMW and Skoda it just makes me think they are stupid.

Truthfully I think the iWatch is actually cool, not Hauwei watch nice but still grand, but could I get one?? No because I would have to buy and iPhone to use it with meanwhile android wear now supports apple not to the same way it supports android but that's because Apple lock the phone so that only its product have full support. What if I liked the smartwatch idea but didn't like the look or poor battery of the Apple watch? No tough sh1t you're stuck with Apples design oh but you can pay $18k and get one with a diamond strap, it still basically looks the exact same.

Also for the reference, back in the early iPhone days i.e. 1-4 I was all about the iphone, maybe some of you will remember I made the Siri Proxy server, but even then it was a cat and mouse game of trying to get an untethered jailbreak so I could take a picture with the volume up button or have a different style on my phone or even a ringtone without having to pay 2.50.

Nowadays I am just not happy to pay €800 for a phone that doesn't even hold a charge till the end of the day. OnePlus is making waves and someday the brainwashed people of this forum will wake up to the fact that more expensive != better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I personally dislike people who go out of their way to give out about a company and use ridiculous terms like "brainwashed" way more than people who tell me how great their phone is. I'm fine with hearing why somebody loves their phone but don't listen to people who tell me how terrible mine is.

Each to their own, people have held Apple to a high standard and usually they deliver on that, which means people will trust an Apple made device expecting it to work like the past ones, it's like buying a TV that's lasts for years and building up a trust for that brand.

That laptop story wouldn't be like for like neither, a €500 Asus laptop wouldn't normally compare to an Apple Mac, which normally has a higher level of attention to detail and build quality. Usually comparing laptops like ultra books in the €1k range would be comparable to a MacBook. Apple has been known to get great performance from modest specs by optimising iOS.

I personally prefer the Moto 360 over the Apple Watch, it's the price that puts me off mainly. But I do think a gadget lover with some disposable income wouldn't have any problem picking one up, nor should they.

I do think the whole Apple sheep (brainwashed) argument is a bit old now though, I haven't been an Apple customer for the last 5 years because I've been brainwashed into buying from them, but rather preferring the software over competitors and loving the simplicity of it all.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I do think the whole Apple sheep (brainwashed) argument is a bit old now though, I haven't been an Apple customer for the last 5 years because I've been brainwashed into buying from them, but rather preferring the software over competitors and loving the simplicity of it all.

You see there it is again, "the simplicity". Android is not even remotely difficult to use and you can easily customise it to your exact standards and the OS is incredibly optimised, in fact it is rated as one of the best operating systems in the world. As you said yourself you haven't used it in 5 years. I remember iOS 5 years ago and it was not a good OS, IIRC you couldn't even change the background.

Your sentiments are exactly what I said I disliked about the user base of Apple, you tried to flip it around as a personal attack. Of course iPhones work, they make phone calls and run apps but there are restrictions and that's all I said. The average user wouldn't notice them and but a more tech savvy person would. iPhones do have advantages, the cloud back-up is very useful for people like my mum who lose or break the phones and want to get everything back as it was without much effort, but that convenience comes at a price, a much more expensive phone plus all the extra space you have to buy because your icloud storage runs out after about a month of usage.

Im sure a Dublin DJ like yourself might like to download the odd royalty free song on the internet, do you not find it frustrating that in order for you to do this you have to go on your computer add it to itunes and then sync?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kjl wrote: »
    You see there it is again,

Yup, there it is again alright. It's just not possible to have a thread about an Apple product without a handful of people trying to turn it into an Apple v SamSonHuw debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yup, there it is again alright. It's just not possible to have a thread about an Apple product without a handful of people trying to turn it into an Apple v SamSonHuw debate.

I'm just surprised it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

The average user wouldn't notice them and but a more tech savvy person would. iPhones do have advantages, the cloud back-up is very useful for people like my mum who lose or break the phones and want to get everything back as it was without much effort, but that convenience comes at a price,

you've just summed it up there. The 'average' person ... hence the popularity. Why doesn't the average person run linux on their laptop?

Personally I use mac and apple products as I have been for 15+ years and it all just works in my eco system, I am somewhat tech savvy but it's the simplicity I enjoy.

I have plenty of 'internet found' music and videos on all my apple devices etc without a problem.

As for the ASUS argument, I have a Mac notebook that is approaching 8 years old and still runs perfectly with OS 10.9 and is in full time use by my kids. I would probably have to change an ASUS 3 times before the Mac gives up the ghost.

BTW I have a sibling who is a google engineer and has worked on plenty of Android projects, even he will admit to admiring the Apple simplicity around iOS ... and he uses a MacBook Pro as his day to day work machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

A friend of mine had a choice between €500 asus laptop with 4gb of ram and a decent processor but went with a €1200 macbook with a substandard processor and 2gb of ram because "Macs are better". He then complains about it because he has to buy a display port to hdmi adapter. If he spent that on a laptop he could have a machine that could play high end games (guy is a gamer) and now the laptop he has can barely handle 1080p
    Its a long time since a macbook cam with two gigs.. i5's substandard?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Its a long time since a macbook cam with two gigs.. i5's substandard?

Shhh, you'll ruin the story ;)

It would probably be unfair to point out the MacBook will also have a significant 2nd hand value in 2 years, about the same time the ASUS is taking up space in a landfill somewhere.
    whippet wrote: »
    you've just summed it up there. The 'average' person ... hence the popularity. Why doesn't the average person run linux on their laptop?

That's another myth that I'd like to quash. I am a 'technical' person and I'd still rather have an iPhone because it integrates incredibly well with everything else I use and/or rely on. I don't give a monkeys that I can't customise my iPhone to the Nth degree, I have much better things to do with my time than try to get the latest Ubuntu distro running on my handset/watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

So... Anyone getting a watch or a new band for Christmas?

(thinly veiled, trying to steer this back on topic)

So... Anyone getting a watch or a new band for Christmas?

(thinly veiled, trying to steer this back on topic)

Thinking of either a leather strap or going the whole hog and getting the SS model.

I can't say I'm impressed with the standard rubbery sports trap, it's not particularly comfortable for prolonged wearing and it makes/leaves a sweaty band around your wrist.

i'd also be interested in what people are getting strap-wise ... i'd like a metallic type to replace the 42mm sport black band as a alternative

Thinking of either a leather strap or going the whole hog and getting the SS model.

I can't say I'm impressed with the standard rubbery sports trap, it's not particularly comfortable for prolonged wearing and it makes/leaves a sweaty band around your wrist.
    I've really been in two minds about selling my sport and going stainless steel recently part of me is holding off for version 2 though. I like the sports bands but you're right they get a little grubby and the sweaty band mark on the wrist is a little bit disappointing but I kinda get that with all watches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You see there it is again, "the simplicity". Android is not even remotely difficult to use and you can easily customise it to your exact standards and the OS is incredibly optimised, in fact it is rated as one of the best operating systems in the world. As you said yourself you haven't used it in 5 years. I remember iOS 5 years ago and it was not a good OS, IIRC you couldn't even change the background.

Your sentiments are exactly what I said I disliked about the user base of Apple, you tried to flip it around as a personal attack. Of course iPhones work, they make phone calls and run apps but there are restrictions and that's all I said. The average user wouldn't notice them and but a more tech savvy person would. iPhones do have advantages, the cloud back-up is very useful for people like my mum who lose or break the phones and want to get everything back as it was without much effort, but that convenience comes at a price, a much more expensive phone plus all the extra space you have to buy because your icloud storage runs out after about a month of usage.

Im sure a Dublin DJ like yourself might like to download the odd royalty free song on the internet, do you not find it frustrating that in order for you to do this you have to go on your computer add it to itunes and then sync?

I'm not saying Apple are perfect, their prices on some things are just ridiculous, €50 for a new sync cable and charger for example. Should be at most €20 for both. Prices have started getting really high, exchange rates can't be the reason for such huge jumps. Also, the new dock for the Apple Watch is a bad design for a company I'm used to much better from.

I love how everything syncs together so well on iOS and OS X. I didn't actually say I hadn't used Apple for 5 years but rather the reason I had wasn't down to brainwashing.

I've been a Windows user longer than a Mac one and I've owned a high end MacBook and Windows machine for around €1,200 and the Mac was infinitely better. That's not down to preference either, the Mac just gave me so few problems. Also, I prefer using iTunes to manage all my music and syncing it to multiple devices. It's something that never bothered me.

Going back on topic slightly, does anybody who owns the Apple Watch think a circular version would work based on the current UI for watchOS?
    I don't see Apple doing it but based on concepts alone it looks like a much better hardware design.

I've really been in two minds about selling my sport and going stainless steel recently part of me is holding off for version 2 though. I like the sports bands but you're right they get a little grubby and the sweaty band mark on the wrist is a little bit disappointing but I kinda get that with all watches :D

I've always worn a watch with a leather or stainless steel strap, smelly watch-straps are a completely new experience for me :mad:

• Advertisement

Lads the real funny thing is I like the apple watch, it's one of the few products I like from them, but because I'm not in the eco system I don't get to use it, at least google is trying to make multi platform compatibility for android wear. It reminds me of the original iPods where you couldn't use them unless you had a firewire port when USB was the standard.

I know it's an each to their own situation but I just don't like the expensive eco system that you all seem to adore. OSX does nothing for me except annoy me and I just hate the lack of standardisation. It's always a case of ohh look at this new proprietary port that does the exact same thing as an ISO Standard port but you have to buy our expensive cable to use it.

Also isn't there a rumor (from a very reliable source) that they are doing away with the 3.5mm Headphone jack in the next iPhone, which means again another adaptor that you will have to buy to get you headphones to work with your iPhone.

I don't know about you guys, but I liked to be taken to dinner before getting F'd in the A

If simplicity is really the best thing about the Apple ecosystem then I have to ask, Is the "Complexity" of the alternative so drastic that you pay twice the price for your easy of use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

whippet wrote: »
    i'd also be interested in what people are getting strap-wise ... i'd like a metallic type to replace the 42mm sport black band as a alternative

I shelled out for the Milanese loop for my 38mm and don't regret it. Sure, it wasn't cheap, but I love the look and feel of it. Because it's magnetic it does fit perfectly but needs tightened a few times during the day. Worth it, I think. I'd love the leather loop in 38mm but they don't make them :-(

Lads the real funny thing is I like the apple watch, it's one of the few products I like from them, but because I'm not in the eco system I don't get to use it, at least google is trying to make multi platform compatibility for android wear. It reminds me of the original iPods where you couldn't use them unless you had a firewire port when USB was the standard.

I know it's an each to their own situation but I just don't like the expensive eco system that you all seem to adore. OSX does nothing for me except annoy me and I just hate the lack of standardisation. It's always a case of ohh look at this new proprietary port that does the exact same thing as an ISO Standard port but you have to buy our expensive cable to use it.

Also isn't there a rumor (from a very reliable source) that they are doing away with the 3.5mm Headphone jack in the next iPhone, which means again another adaptor that you will have to buy to get you headphones to work with your iPhone.

I don't know about you guys, but I liked to be taken to dinner before getting F'd in the A

If simplicity is really the best thing about the Apple ecosystem then I have to ask, Is the "Complexity" of the alternative so drastic that you pay twice the price for your easy of use?

<========
    android fanboy forum

why persist debating in the wrong forum?

Zcott wrote: »
    I shelled out for the Milanese loop for my 38mm and don't regret it. Sure, it wasn't cheap, but I love the look and feel of it. Because it's magnetic it does fit perfectly but needs tightened a few times during the day. Worth it, I think. I'd love the leather loop in 38mm but they don't make them :-(

I think the Milanese loop or the classic buckle would be my first choices.

I take it there's no unpleasant sweaty side-effects with the loop?

Kij, I am someone who can see both android and iOS have plus and minius compared to each other.

The people your describing sound like people that don't know tech and don't bother reading into it that has being going on far before Apple. I remember lads that wouldn't buy any laptop or PC that wasn't from Dell at one stage for Gods sake.

I remember Nokia being so popular back in the day that no one would consider anything else either even if they were better or equal for a lower price, brand image has always carried even at the expense of what others may see as cheaper superior alternatives.

I have used the OnePlus One, Nexus 6, OnePlus 2 and LG G4 over the last two years.

Android is a mess because of every manufacturer making their own skins and ballsing up the core Os. If Google had it to themselves it might have a chance.

The apps on android even up to the launch of android 6 were a pain in the hole with all the bugs even googles own official apps work far better on iOS ffs. Can you blame devs either you make one android app for standard stock android and then the feck in thing has issues on Samsung or some other android phone cause of their messing with it.

I had to install about 6 apps just to notifications to give a number count and light up the screen like I found so useful on iOS, that's just a small example.

Its shown that devs pay priority to iOS development as that's where the money is. Sure android can simply download a hacked apk and get a paid app for free.

Also the battery and price argument doesn't wash anymore. Look at the price of the new Samsungs at launch over €800 they were priced the same as the standard 6/6s and the edge was the same price at the 6/6s plus.

The battery in the S6 or LG G4 doesn't last pissing time even the iPhone 6 beat the S6 for battery. Look at this gimmick of 4K screens too and the serious battery drain it causes.

My 6s Plus gets me 2 days very heavy use and say 3 days moderate.

Sony are another company starting with massive prices too.

You could go for a company like OnePlus but despite value for money it's actually isn't up there with the top end phones whether Apple or a Samsung/Sony. Not to add I'd never touch OnePlus again after the issue I had trying to get a defective unit repaired scum is what they are.

But do you know what the real kicker that android used have over Apple that's happening now? They are trying to stamp out rooting a phone like Apple with jailbreaking.

LG and Samsung especially has implemented methods to detect root and if so: warranty void. This is gonna become mainstream in the next few years too.

Where would you be going rooting a big expensive android phone if it voids your warranty.

Not that I blame them mind, lads tweaking a processor to run at higher than approved speeds and then flashing back stock and trying a warranty repair when they've feck in broken down part of the hardware from their messing.

I always heard oh Apple fan boys are always bashing android, well in my experience it's android fans that loose their **** and are always moaning about Apple.

So yeah both OSs have good and bad points and each has their fans for different reasons.

looks like I failed :(

looks like I failed :(

Soz had my post made before reading I'm all done with my 2c anyway, just sick of the continued bashing and finally had to say something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Got my watch two days ago so still getting used to it. I'll definitely be getting another strap. I got the silver sport and wasn't gone on any of the strap colours so picked the least objectionable. Want to get the midnight blue strap anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Can I just say, my Apple Watch was a complete ostentatious purchase at the time, bought with my redundancy payout- but I actually find it really useful! Even checked into DAA with it

• Advertisement

In regards to the watch just can't see myself buying one. If it was circa €150 might get one for novelty but I'd stop using it.

I'd rather use the phone than watch especially seeing as you need the watch near the phone.

If the watch had its own GPS that could work away from the phone it might be cool for fitness otherwise no.

I think the only watch with standalone gps is a Sony one isn't it?

Advertisement