Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do we have a date for pre orders in Ireland yet, I know the UK is this friday the 10th with the delivery on the 24th of April?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-watch-iwatch-release-date-uk-price-specs-features-battery-life-apps-pre-order-time-3425479/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Judging by the volumes they're managing to produce I have a feeling the rest of the world could be waiting a while. There is talk that the supply as is for the April 24 release countries will be very constrained. I suspect they'll ramp up the supply over time and get themselves to where they're in a position to go for a wider rollout.

I read something interesting last night that mentioned that Apple employees can get a 50% discount on the Sport and Apple Watch for 90 days after launch. I wonder if this means that the watch may go on wider sale within that 90 day window elsewhere as I'd be a bit pissed if I worked for Apple Ireland and the 90 days ran out before I could claim my discount. I suspect though that the 90 days will roll out in other teritories once the watch becomes available.

I do find it annoying that Tim is keeping his cards close to his chest on wider availability however. Even an "Available in IE in Q3" announcement would give us some perspective. Right now we've got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

squonk wrote: »
    Judging by the volumes they're managing to produce I have a feeling the rest of the world could be waiting a while. There is talk that the supply as is for the April 24 release countries will be very constrained. I suspect they'll ramp up the supply over time and get themselves to where they're in a position to go for a wider rollout.

I read something interesting last night that mentioned that Apple employees can get a 50% discount on the Sport and Apple Watch for 90 days after launch. I wonder if this means that the watch may go on wider sale within that 90 day window elsewhere as I'd be a bit pissed if I worked for Apple Ireland and the 90 days ran out before I could claim my discount. I suspect though that the 90 days will roll out in other teritories once the watch becomes available.

I do find it annoying that Tim is keeping his cards close to his chest on wider availability however. Even an "Available in IE in Q3" announcement would give us some perspective. Right now we've got nothing.

It's 90 days from when it becomes on sale in the employees country.

So e.g if it launches in Ireland May 20th. It's 90 days from then you have the opportunity to buy one at 50% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Anyone preordering on the UK store for ParcelMotel delivery? What time are preorders opening at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Branoic wrote: »
    Anyone preordering on the UK store for ParcelMotel delivery? What time are preorders opening at?

I hope to be. 8:01am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do Apple deliver to Parcel Motels? AFAIK UPS/DPD (who do Apple deliveries in the U.K.) require a signature upon delivery. Something that Parcel Motel's warehouse doesn't supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Do Apple deliver to Parcel Motels? AFAIK UPS/DPD (who do Apple deliveries in the U.K.) require a signature upon delivery. Something that Parcel Motel's warehouse doesn't supply.

From reading on Boards before, nearly sure people have ordered on launch day through Parcel Motel. I will be doing so in the morning at 8.01am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I got 2 orders from Apple through PM back in 2012/2013. At least at the time it was no issue.

Do purchase the extended liability cover in case they get lost though! :-)

There's no way I'd trust parcel motel with an Apple product purchase, but I can't fault them for the service they supply.

There's no way I'd trust parcel motel with an Apple product purchase, but I can't fault them for the service they supply.

Even though I did it before as I wanted to get the products earlier and the UK prices were slightly cheaper, I am not sure I would do it again either. Even though overall it works well enough, chances of a parcel getting lost without proper track of it (i.e. no liability payment from them) are not null.

• Advertisement

Do you need a UK credit card to purchase from the UK Apple site? I've generally found Parcel Motel pretty good. The watch is a bit high value for their serive though. I don't mind 50 quids worth of something from Amazon going missing and it's a risk I'd take but €500 of Apple Watch is another story! They do offer up to €250 liability if you register your parcel as being expected online with them and you can purchase some higher value insurance with them for a few quid I see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Do you need a UK credit card to purchase from the UK Apple site?

I wouldn't imagine so, I've purchased online from the U.S. stores with an Irish credit card, and had someone go in and collect for me 5 minutes later.

I would assume a retailer won't discriminate against a credit card based on its country of origin.

I wouldn't imagine so, I've purchased online from the U.S. stores with an Irish credit card, and had someone go in and collect for me 5 minutes later.

I would assume a retailer won't discriminate against a credit card based on its country of origin.

I think the only thing is they are in theory asking for a local billing address and you have to play a bit to fit you Irish address and phone numbers on fields that are pre-formated for a different country.

But I did manage both in the UK and the US as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Noticed from the unpacking video that the charger is a USB charger so you'll need to get an adapter or plug it into your computer to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Noticed from the unpacking video that the charger is a USB charger so you'll need to get an adapter or plug it into your computer to charge.

If you have an iPhone you have at least one USB charger already, but very likely more, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Anybody know what the story will be with reserve and collect.

Do you prepay and it will be held for you? If I ordered could I collect 10 days later

or

You reserve it and they'll hold it for the day but if it's not collected they'll put it back on general sale.

QikBax wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story will be with reserve and collect.

Do you prepay and it will be held for you? If I ordered could I collect 10 days later

or

You reserve it and they'll hold it for the day but if it's not collected they'll put it back on general sale.
    when you reserve you're given a pick up time. if you miss that it's held until the end of the day and then your reservation becomes null and void.

Do Apple then not provide an adapter? The iPhone is a USB charger also but has the plug attachment where you can plug the USB into. A raw USB cable supplied is a pit crap IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Do Apple then not provide an adapter? The iPhone is a USB charger also but has the plug attachment where you can plug the USB into. A raw USB cable supplied is a pit crap IMHO.

In the unboxing I saw there was a mains adapter visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

anyone know what the deal is with the "try on appointments" in store? I'd say I'm borderline between 38mm and 42mm and I'd want to try them both to be sure. I'm male but have quite small wrists I would say. Thinking of pre-ordering one of each size tomorrow, then popping in to the store in Belfast to check them out next week some time and then cancelling one of the pre-orders. Do you have to phone them to book an appointment or can you just turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Im very confused about all this. Can I use my Irish itunes acc to pre-order it tomorrow at 8am and then pick it up in Belfast on april 24th??
    I made a UK acc with an english address but when I stuck my Visa details in, it refused saying it wasn't a uk card.

Im very confused about all this. Can I use my Irish itunes acc to pre-order it tomorrow at 8am and then pick it up in Belfast on april 24th??
    I made a UK acc with an english address but when I stuck my Visa details in, it refused saying it wasn't a uk card.
    you don't use your iTunes account for physical purchases with apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

So it's just the account on store.apple.com then?
    Cool, thanks!

Possibly not an iTunes account, but people will need valid details to enter on the website even if they collect from the store (apple has announced the initial batch will only be sold online even if you want to collect at the store).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Possibly not an iTunes account, but people will need valid details to enter on the website even if they collect from the store (apple has announced the initial batch will only be sold online even if you want to collect at the store).
    the above poster asked did you need to use a UK account to pre-order. you use neither. it's your apple store account which is not tied to any particular region.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why not, it's just a parcel and I assume it's not got Apple Stickers all over it?

You can also take extra insurance cover if worried.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not, it's just a parcel and I assume it's not got Apple Stickers all over it?

You can aslo take extra insurance cover if worried.

It only costs €3.50 or something to get €500 worth of insurance so unless someone has some horror story about trying to get a claim paid out, I'd have no problems using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

All the reviews are up now, and they're fairly mixed. Most seem to agree that it's a good idea and that it's the best smart watch out there, but while some love it, the Verge in particular weren't convinced about it at all.

Who's planning on ordering tomorrow?

Zcott wrote: »
    All the reviews are up now, and they're fairly mixed. Most seem to agree that it's a good idea and that it's the best smart watch out there, but while some love it, the Verge in particular weren't convinced about it at all.

Who's planning on ordering tomorrow?

A few of the reviews I read were saying it's great but that you don't actually need it. Which is probably the way a lot of Apple devices early reviews went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Do you have to pay for it online at the time of reservation, or can you pay in store when you go to collect? I had a look at the site there and tried to get something (not the watch, obviously) designated as "for pickup", but none of the options it's giving me are the actual Apple store. Instead I'm getting a list of newsagents and corner shops.

I'm considering getting one of these as a gift for someone, but if it will require the whole Parcel Motel song and dance, I can wait until availability increases.

Advertisement