Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Mourinho wrote: »
    In regards to the watch just can't see myself buying one. If it was circa €150 might get one for novelty but I'd stop using it.

I'd rather use the phone than watch especially seeing as you need the watch near the phone.

If the watch had its own GPS that could work away from the phone it might be cool for fitness otherwise no.

I think the only watch with standalone gps is a Sony one isn't it?

I belive the LG Urbane 2 has one too, but it also has a LTE chipset, not sure if I would be willing to give up my phone or be constantly swapping the sim card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Guys, I need a sanity check.

I've decided to get the watch (moving on, with a little bit of sadness, from my OG Pebble). However, I'm considering getting the watch from CEX rather than Apple because it saves a huge chunk of change.

I'm pretty fixated on the 42mm SS, but finding it hard to justify the price. However, I can make some pretty big savings by getting it from CEX. They have an 'A' graded model for around £175 less than what it would cost from Apple (they describe hardware with an 'A' grade as 'mint'). They also have a pretty decent returns policy.

So from what I can tell, going this route would save me £175 but the downsides are 1) I don't think it comes with original box (could be wrong) which might hurt the resale value and 2) it rules out Apple Care, but to be honest I don't think I'd go down that route in any case.

Can anyone weigh in with an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'd have bought one months ago... But for the tattoo issue. I'm desperate to own one.
    For xmas I'll either get myself a watch and an iPad Air 2.... Or an iPad pro.
    I'm undecided... The tattoo issue is pushing me towards buying the pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'd have bought one months ago... But for the tattoo issue. I'm desperate to own one.
    For xmas I'll either get myself a watch and an iPad Air 2.... Or an iPad pro.
    I'm undecided... The tattoo issue is pushing me towards buying the pro.

Many of the staff in shops like CompuB have them and will probably let you try theirs out to check whether or not your tattoos would prevent you from being able to use it. You could always pop in and give them a try? The display models aren't really much use, but I think the staff might try to be helpful in order to make the sale.

Alternatively, you can buy from the Apple website and return it within two weeks if it doesn't work for you and get a full refund. I wouldn't be without mine now, so I'd definitely give it a shot if it appeals to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Guys, I need a sanity check.

I've decided to get the watch (moving on, with a little bit of sadness, from my OG Pebble).
    Can anyone weigh in with an opinion?

Got myself one (SS 42 black) on adverts.ie, still a few (SS 42) for sale. Most people don't want to pay the premium over the sport -lots of comments show most people don't even get/know difference- so good deals to be had. As with any private purchase be carful who you're buying from, adverts feedback helps.
    Payed same for a nearly new SS as I would have for a new sport. As for condition -unlike the sport model- I think you have to try really hard to make a mark the SS model, especially the sapphire display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, I took the plunge :D

42mm SS in (product)red. Trying not to think about how much money I just spent :o

Just getting up and running now - hard to know where to start. There seems to be a lot to this thing! Coming from an OG Pebble I'll post my thoughts on the comparison when I'm more used to it, since there was some discussion on that earlier, and I found comparisons helpful when I was thinking of purchasing.

Q1: What are some essential 'must do' features to enable etc.?
    Q2: Is there some feature whereby you can disable your iPhone passcode as long as the watch is within range?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

For me, muting all sounds, turning the haptic up to full were the first things. Keep your glances to as few as possible, and turn off the notifications for apps you don't really want instant notifications for. I turned off Words With Friends notifications because they just kept coming...and coming...

Q2: Is there some feature whereby you can disable your iPhone passcode as long as the watch is within range?[/QUOTE]

No, unfortunately not. But chances are you're using it on a phone with TouchID, so just use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Well, I took the plunge :D

42mm SS in (product)red. Trying not to think about how much money I just spent :o

Just getting up and running now - hard to know where to start. There seems to be a lot to this thing! Coming from an OG Pebble I'll post my thoughts on the comparison when I'm more used to it, since there was some discussion on that earlier, and I found comparisons helpful when I was thinking of purchasing.

Q2: Is there some feature whereby you can disable your iPhone passcode as long as the watch is within range?

Agree maxing the haptic kick. Another essential is to customise your sms replies. You'll be amazed at how handy this will become. From a simple, "OK" to
    "Open the door, forgot my keys" they're a godsend in bad weather

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Zcott wrote: »
    Keep your glances to as few as possible

Any particular reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

faceman wrote: »
    Any particular reason for this?

I'm sure the op is referring to glances being a quick way to get to commonly used apps so the more you add to the list, the more you have to swipe through and therefore it defeats the purpose. I have maybe 5 in glances, the first being the music app so I can skip tracks while my phone is in my back pocket or its raining or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm sure the op is referring to glances being a quick way to get to commonly used apps so the more you add to the list, the more you have to swipe through and therefore it defeats the purpose. I have maybe 5 in glances, the first being the music app so I can skip tracks while my phone is in my back pocket or its raining or whatever.

Ahh. I thought it was a battery saving tip.

Ahh. I thought it was a battery saving tip.

Previous poster is right: a lot of glances you might never use, so trash them and keep them to as few as possible. For me, I only have battery, music and heartrate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, any difference between the silver and the space grey with regards to scratches etc?

I would have went for the space grey only for he fact that it's black strap only, I would have picked a brighter strap but they are only with the silver!

I'm looking at the 38mm Sport ones and have to decide before end of,business today (Monday) as my mam is in NYC and she can get it for $380, while it's not a mega saving, (€360 V €429), it just makes it that tiny bit more appealing, as I was about to buy a G-Shock Casio at Christmas anyway!

Any advice welcome!
    When is watch2 due, maybe that will sway my decision?

I doubt watch 2 will be out before next summer, so don't let that sway you.

I've the silver sport and it's been very durable, although I am careful with it. No scratches...yet!

I doubt watch 2 will be out before next summer, so don't let that sway you.

I've the silver sport and it's been very durable, although I am careful with it. No scratches...yet!

What band have you got?
    Have you noticed any grubbiness on the rubber band at all? Easy to clean?

Silly questions, I know but I've a white leather Police watch that can look grubby if not cleaned.

kceire wrote: »
    What band have you got?
    Have you noticed any grubbiness on the rubber band at all? Easy to clean?

Silly questions, I know but I've a white leather Police watch that can look grubby if not cleaned.

I got the white band and wore it for about a month and it didn't get that dirty...and since you can wear it in the shower I gave it a wipe there sometimes.

I've been wearing my Milanese loop since about july, and I love it. It's easy to put on, looks and feels good. Wasn't cheap and needs tightened occasionally during the day but it's worth it for a good fit. Plus it's a bit more stylish than the rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I got the white band and wore it for about a month and it didn't get that dirty...and since you can wear it in the shower I gave it a wipe there sometimes.

I've been wearing my Milanese loop since about july, and I love it. It's easy to put on, looks and feels good. Wasn't cheap and needs tightened occasionally during the day but it's worth it for a good fit. Plus it's a bit more stylish than the rubber.

Do you wear the Milanese loop with the SS or silver watch? Wondering what it would look like with silver.

neilc wrote: »
    Do you wear the Milanese loop with the SS or silver watch? Wondering what it would look like with silver.

Silver sport. Apple don't really like this and they say it may cause galvanic corrosion, but I'll probably upgrade to watch 2 when it comes out, and there's no sign of any corrosion yet.

3Y7WueN.jpg
    F4Q4JNy.jpg

Anybody know where these are for sale in Dublin city?
    Want to have a feel and hold before I decide to buy or not?

Thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    Anybody know where these are for sale in Dublin city?
    Want to have a feel and hold before I decide to buy or not?

Thanks.

CompuB afaik

• Advertisement

CompuB afaik

Cheers, just got to hold a 42mm version in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone purchased a strap of Etsy or any other craft sites? Some of these look very nice, but most of them aren't for the 42mm version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

iConnect on Herny st also stock them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Released yesterday.

Support for new languages,
    Bug fixes.

Remote App for Apple TV :D

Apparently it fixes the calendar bug on the watch face where it wouldn't update. So far so good...

Apparently it fixes the calendar bug on the watch face where it wouldn't update. So far so good...

I wonder if that means the AIB watch app will do something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Graham wrote: »
    I wonder if that means the AIB watch app will do something now.
    I had issues with this at the start but then one day it just started working when I added it to my Glances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

AIB released an update a few weeks ago that made this work. still think it's pretty pointless myself mind directions to a nearest ATM might be more useful.

AIB released an update a few weeks ago that made this work. still think it's pretty pointless myself mind directions to a nearest ATM might be more useful.

Now it's working. I quite like the quick balance function, it looks more on a smaller screen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Quick balance is exactly the kind of thing that the Apple Watch is made for. The only thing putting me off is the size. I think that it's still a bit thick.

Apple Watch owners: How does the watch feel on a day to day basis? (size/weight-wise)

Advertisement