Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

MillField wrote: »
    Quick balance is exactly the kind of thing that the Apple Watch is made for. The only thing putting me off is the size. I think that it's still a bit thick.

Apple Watch owners: How does the watch feel on a day to day basis? (size/weight-wise)

No problem at all with the size/thickness of the watch but I'm liking the sports strap less and less as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Graham wrote: »
    No problem at all with the size/thickness of the watch but I'm liking the sports strap less and less as time goes by.

Does the sports strap have a rubbery feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

What issue do you have with the sport strap? I run quite a lot with it and find it very comfortable. No issues with grubbiness or anything, just give it the odd wipe with a baby wipe. Haven't been brave enough to wear it in the shower yet!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would advise anyone considering one to go hold a physical one in the flesh first. I was about to buy a 38mm one during the week while my Mam was in NYC and I was blindly buying it, well getting her to buy it there for me.

I held it in compub on Monday and I was like "ok, this is not that small it should be ok" to my horror I found out that it was the 42mm one! It made me realise that I needed to keep saving to buy the 42mm one instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Apple Watch owners: How does the watch feel on a day to day basis? (size/weight-wise)

I have a 38 because I have wrists like a lady ballerina on a liquid diet, but the size has never bothered me. I have a Sport, though, so it's lighter, and I was a watch fancier of old who was well used to wearing thicker and heavier watches, so this might not apply to everyone.

It's a very comfortable watch, in my opinion. The only "wearing" concern I have with it is that I'm very aware of the screen being glass rather than sapphire.

• Advertisement

Does the sports strap have a rubbery feel?

There's definitely a hint of rubbery/neoprene to it.
    neilc wrote: »
    What issue do you have with the sport strap? I run quite a lot with it and find it very comfortable. No issues with grubbiness or anything, just give it the odd wipe with a baby wipe. Haven't been brave enough to wear it in the shower yet!!

After a few hours wear it starts to stick to the skin, I find myself peeling it off every couple of hours just to let my wrist breath for a few minutes. I have no problems with the black strap looking manky, the white one it came with would need a regular wipe. In saying that it does wipe clean easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Quick balance is exactly the kind of thing that the Apple Watch is made for. The only thing putting me off is the size. I think that it's still a bit thick.

I have a space gray sport and the rubber band feels fine after a 12 hour shift. As for the weight it is noticeable lighter than my tag watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I bought my watch with the milanese loop band because I think it's the best looking band they have. It sometimes gets a bit loose and needs adjustment but apart from that I've no issues with the band itself. I've heart reports of it catching hair on your forearm but I haven't encountered that. The watch is a 42mm and if in the wrong position, it can sit awkwardly on the bone on your wrist, but again it's just a quick adjustment to make it comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Have the 42mm space grey sport now 6 weeks . Would hardly notice it on wrist . Wouldn't be without it now, just so handy for on the go! The activity tracker can show how lazy you can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The activity tracker can show how lazy you can be.

But at the same time it also thinks you're being healthy if you say, go for a cigarette because you're standing up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bop1977 wrote: »
    I have a space gray sport and the rubber band feels fine after a 12 hour shift. As for the weight it is noticeable lighter than my tag watch.

Veiled "I'm a prolific horologist" post. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Is it better to go for the Sport as the aluminium is more resistant to scratches than the highly polished stainless steel version, and from what I have read the sport's screen is easier to read outdoors. Then again the higher end model has a sapphire screen so more resistant to scratches.

Also, where is the best place to buy the milanese strap and are cheaper 3rd party ones just as good as the official apple ones ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unique-Magnet-JETech®-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B011CR8RZ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449966348&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+watch+milanese

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Flaccus wrote: »
    Is it better to go for the Sport as the aluminium is more resistant to scratches than the highly polished stainless steel version, and from what I have read the sport's screen is easier to read outdoors. Then again the higher end model has a sapphire screen so more resistant to scratches.

Also, where is the best place to buy the milanese strap and are cheaper 3rd party ones just as good as the official apple ones ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unique-Magnet-JETech®-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B011CR8RZ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449966348&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+watch+milanese

Really it's down to user preference. The Sport is lighter than the others.

The aluminium is supposed to be more scratch resistant but mine got scratched easily. You can buff out scratches on stainless steel, not on aluminium.

The sport screen is easier to read in certain conditions.

Given Apple will no doubt have future hardware updates, going with a more expensive option didn't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can you set Bluetooth priority with the watch and phone? I.e once within range of your car have the phone switch to that, then when disconnected reconnect to the watch?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you set Bluetooth priority with the watch and phone? I.e once within range of your car have the phone switch to that, then when disconnected reconnect to the watch?

I'm not sure what sort of shuffling goes on in the background but my phone appears to connect to my watch and my bluetooth headset simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Same here, iPhone will connect to my (parrot 9100) carkit while still connected to Apple Watch. If I use Siri on the watch to make a call, the call will go though the carkit. If I play music/Spotify from iPhone over the carkit I can use the watch to skip/pause/play songs or change the volume.
    I really doubt you should be buying watch sport for durability, the aluminium will scratch more easily. Yes its a special scratch resistant alloy, but it's still softer than stainless steel. I'd say a scratch will also be more noticeable on the aluminium and you're more likely to damage the screen than the case.
    If you're used to wearing a watch even the SS model feels very light -even with the Milanese loop or link bracelet- much lighter than my other 2 watches. Personally I think even the 42mm is a small watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'm not sure what sort of shuffling goes on in the background but my phone appears to connect to my watch and my bluetooth headset simultaneously.

Yep, same here.
    flyguy wrote: »
    Same here, iPhone will connect to my (parrot 9100) carkit while still connected to Apple Watch. If I use Siri on the watch to make a call, the call will go though the carkit. If I play music/Spotify from iPhone over the carkit I can use the watch to skip/pause/play songs or change the volume.

With some car kits it seems like the watch rings as well as the phone/car, but as of a recent software update that stopped and only the car rings :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's good to know, I thought it would need to disconnect to one or the other and not work simultaneously but I suppose the bluetooths profiles are different which allows this.

I ordered one for someone around lunchtime yesterday and it's with the courier at the moment on the way to the house after being despatched yesterday evening, pretty fast turn around.

Bluetooth 4.0 and above allows for simultaneous connections to two devices, so it should remain connected to the watch and then connect to the car when in range.

I'm using, ahem, a phone and watch from a competitor, and it's the same. Phone rings simultaneously on the watch and the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

had one. sold it. pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In NY atm and resellers have $100 off the Apple Watch making it very tempting. Should I?

In NY atm and resellers have $100 off the Apple Watch making it very tempting. Should I?

Don't be silly. Of course you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Bring home 2! One for each arm

Got a tasty charging standing a decent leather strap for my watch- arrived today

Gaygooner wrote: »
    Got a tasty charging standing a decent leather strap for my watch- arrived today

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Here

Nice. Gonna get the strap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where a outs? My mam is only back but I didn't take the plunge. I would have at $100 off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

I got that strap, it's not great. Went back to the original

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

picked up 42mm sport for 419 in pc world. Cheaper than apple atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

$299 plus sales tax for a 42mm.. Total of around $311. Pretty happy with that

Got mine from B&H photo but Best Buy were also doing the same sale leading up to Christmas.

Advertisement