Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just look at the activity app on both the watch and the phone and there's a difference of half a km. Are they not using the same data?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

$299 plus sales tax for a 42mm.. Total of around $311. Pretty happy with that

Got mine from B&H photo but Best Buy were also doing the same sale leading up to Christmas.

That's better than the second hand price on adverts.
    Good buy. I never told my Mam to check the other shops, just the Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

There's a guy on adverts who seems to be selling any choice of Apple Watch to order at a good discount. New, boxed with receipt direct from Apple. He claims to be working for Apple, judging by his feedback seems legit (don't take my word for it).
    Don't know how his employer feels about him creating his own little online shop though...
    http://www.adverts.ie/9470375

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

flyguy wrote: »
    There's a guy on adverts who seems to be selling any choice of Apple Watch to order at a good discount. New, boxed with receipt direct from Apple. He claims to be working for Apple, judging by his feedback seems legit (don't take my word for it).
    Don't know how his employer feels about him creating his own little online shop though...
    http://www.adverts.ie/9470375

Would be happier if he could spell "Choice"

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Just placed my order through that chap mentioned above.
    I had been talking to him last week but he had no sport versions.

He orders directly through his Apple contact and its shipped direct to me with receipts and emails all in my name.

I spoke to a guy that bought off him last week and received the following day.

Sport silver/white 42mm and all going well will have it delivered for €325 brand new sealed. Should have it tomorrow or Wednesday latest.

You guys better be online xmas day as I'll have loads of questions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Something about that whole setup seems slightly suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Gileadi wrote: »
    Something about that whole setup seems slightly suspicious

Slightly???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's always an abundance of brand-new apple gear available in and around Cork from apple employees availing of their staff discount.

Graham wrote: »
    There's always an abundance of brand-new apple gear available in and around Cork from apple employees availing of their staff discount.

+1

It's not the first time I've bought from cork ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

kceire wrote: »
    Just placed my order through that chap mentioned above.
    I had been talking to him last week but he had no sport versions.

He orders directly through his Apple contact and its shipped direct to me with receipts and emails all in my name.

I spoke to a guy that bought off him last week and received the following day.

Sport silver/white 42mm and all going well will have it delivered for €325 brand new sealed. Should have it tomorrow or Wednesday latest.

Wow that's 100 off just bought one today in currys Liffey valley for €429

• Advertisement

wush06 wrote: »
    Wow that's 100 off just bought one today in currys Liffey valley for €429

It's actually €150 off. The 42mm Sport is €479 on Apple.ie
    But just checked currys there, it's €420 online so that's even a decent discount on the apple pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Graham wrote: »

Apple employees get 15% discount with two major (e.g. iMac/MacBook) purchases a year, however they're allowed buy as many watches as they wish for 50% of retail this year, which is a smart move on Apple's part as they'll get a huge surge of purchases over Xmas for gifts etc, obviously this in an abuse of the system as the employee is making about €100 per sale in this instance, but it's obviously not being stopped (for now).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OU812 wrote: »
    Apple employees get 15% discount with two major (e.g. iMac/MacBook) purchases a year, however they're allowed buy as many watches as they wish for 50% of retail this year, which is a smart move on Apple's part as they'll get a huge surge of purchases over Xmas for gifts etc, obviously this in an abuse of the system as the employee is making about €100 per sale in this instance, but it's obviously not being stopped (for now).

Unless it has changed dramatically, it is 1 major purchase per year for the employee at 27%, and to buy for up to 3 friends and family per year at 17%. None of which are supposed to be sold on within 12 months. Surprised they are giving 50% on watches, never remember doing anything like that apart from the clearance of the backlog of stock in the 90's when they gave 60-70% reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kceire wrote: »

You're in for a treat anyway :) I went for the 42mm Space grey + black strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

whiterebel wrote: »
    Unless it has changed dramatically, it is 1 major purchase per year for the employee at 27%, and to buy for up to 3 friends and family per year at 17%. None of which are supposed to be sold on within 12 months. Surprised they are giving 50% on watches, never remember doing anything like that apart from the clearance of the backlog of stock in the 90's when they gave 60-70% reductions.

Almost. It's a single purchase of the Apple Watch (not sport) at 50%. Around 500 euro off the edition. These are not to be sold on.

Apple Watch Sport just arrived from our friendly seller in Cork
    Brand new and sealed and Apple receipt in my name.

Won't get a chance to open till this evening though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

whiterebel wrote: »

It's up to to 10 purchases for family and friends now and one watch at that price (offer ended today actually,it's 27% off from tomorrow on)27% off one iphone,ipad mac/imac, Ipod every year, .....whoevers behind this is either leaving anyway or will be fired if they hear of it

It's up to to 10 purchases for family and friends now and one watch at that price (offer ended today actually,it's 27% off from tomorrow on)27% off one iphone,ipad mac/imac, Ipod every year, .....whoevers behind this is either leaving anyway or will be fired if they hear of it

He told me yesterday was the last day for the watch alright.
    He's using it to his advantage alright, let's hope he doesn't get the sack for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

I have seen one person wear an apple watch. I doubt they will take off, its bad enough people looking at their phones while they are with your at the table or in a meeting. But the watch is irritating to the extreme. Apart from the crazy price and that the battery does not last longer than A day I don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It will have the opposite affect than constantly looking at your phone to see if you've missed any sort of notification. A little buzz, quick glance, it's just a mailshot, not important.

• Advertisement

cattolico wrote: »
    I have seen one person wear an apple watch. I doubt they will take off, its bad enough people looking at their phones while they are with your at the table or in a meeting. But the watch is irritating to the extreme. Apart from the crazy price and that the battery does not last longer than A day I don't see the point.

I've only gone through 23% in 13.5 hours. I can see it lasting 2 days no problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I use my watch more than you'd expect. It's incredibly handy. I'm a watch wearer anyway so getting one wasn't a big jump.

Siri on it is great. I dictate texts, calendar reminders, make and take occasional non important calls from it. For fitness users it's ideal. And for Tile users, like me, it's essential. It's always connected to my keys unlike my phone which needs the app open

I guarantee in 2-3 years everyone will have some form of smart watch.

People laughed when touch screen smart phones came out. Now everyone has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have seen one person wear an apple watch. I doubt they will take off

7 million people beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The only time my watch taps me is for texts, phone calls and emails for assigned VIPs other than that there's nothing. the only time i then use it is to check the time or dictate a message when i'm washing the saucepans or doing chores. I rarely carry my phone around whilst i'm in the office/house.

I still find it weird that apple ship it with the sound for notifications turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Apart from the crazy price and that the battery does not last longer than A day I don't see the point.

First charge on mine lasted 42 hours. Admittedly I was out of the country with data turned off, so not a true test as I was only getting notifications on wifi.

Yesterday though with normal use, I had it on from 7.30am until 4am and still had over 30% left. Phone still had 51% charge at the same point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Do people leave wake screen on wrist movement on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Do people leave wake screen on wrist movement on?

I do. It would be very cumbersome without it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So, got my wife the 38mm Watch. She opens it, no power. Won't turn on. First time I've had an Apple device not power on immediately with some charge. I've plugged it in now and there's a weird snake like charging symbol and after 5 minutes still no other signs of life. Is this DOA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So, got my wife the 38mm Watch. She opens it, no power. Won't turn on. First time I've had an Apple device not power on immediately with some charge. I've plugged it in now and there's a weird snake like charging symbol and after 5 minutes still no other signs of life. Is this DOA?

Snake symbol just means battery is totally drained. Give it time I'm sure it will turn on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It does take a while to charge and set up alright. I thought the same when I got mine because I'm used to turning the phone on straight out of the box.

Advertisement