Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mine had to be charged straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Came to life eventually. Was a bit worried there. Wonder is it the tiny battery the reason behind it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mine came needing a charge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That's weird..Apple ship all their products charged so that the user can use the item straightaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, my wife's was at around 80% out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Sister got a 5s this morning, battery was completely drained also. Maybe it was old stock but found it strange myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

cattolico wrote: »
    I have seen one person wear an apple watch. I doubt they will take off, its bad enough people looking at their phones while they are with your at the table or in a meeting. But the watch is irritating to the extreme. Apart from the crazy price and that the battery does not last longer than A day I don't see the point.

You have personal experience of this poor battery usage? Or did you just hear it from a bloke down the pub? I get 2 days out of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

naasrd wrote: »
    You have personal experience of this poor battery usage? Or did you just hear it from a bloke down the pub? I get 2 days out of mine.

2 days, I rest my case then. If I am on a hike for a week I want a watch that lasts a week. Even my iPhone I will put on air mode to stretch the battery and it will last.

I love apply products, I just don't get their watch at all. Anyway I am the type of person who would damage any watch, So I'm not going to pay 350 euros for one anyway, and certainly not one that needs to be charged every 48 hrs.

2 days, I rest my case then. If I am on a hike for a week I want a watch that lasts a week. Even my iPhone I will put on air mode to stretch the battery and it will last.

I love apply products, I just don't get their watch at all. Anyway I am the type of person who would damage any watch, So I'm not going to pay 350 euros for one anyway, and certainly not one that needs to be charged every 48 hrs.

Surely if your going on a week long hike you'll come prepared with extra portable batteries as well as food and water.

That's the state of smart watches at the moment (1-2 days of battery life). Same with smart phones and laptops etc. And I'm sure you probably use those. It's the price you have to pay for the advanced tech, and the majority of people are fine with it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Surely if your going on a week long hike you'll come prepared with extra portable batteries as well as food and water.

That's the state of smart watches at the moment (1-2 days of battery life). Same with smart phones and laptops etc. And I'm sure you probably use those. It's the price you have to pay for the advanced tech, and the majority of people are fine with it.

Nope, I will only take what I really need. My iPhone goes 2 weeks without a charge in airplane mode,. I have a small solar panel to charge if needs be. I would damage the watch anyway, even my iPhone is in a water proof case. I'm not sold on the product at all. I have every single apple product, except their watch.

• Advertisement

Nope, I will only take what I really need. My iPhone goes 2 weeks without a charge in airplane mode,. I have a small solar panel to charge if needs be. I would damage the watch anyway, even my iPhone is in a water proof case. I'm not sold on the product at all. I have every single apple product, except their watch.

I'm the same myself, first Apple device I haven't owned in a while. Just don't see the battery life as the big downside, it's what was expected tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sure an old nokia will go for about half a year if you're just going to stick the phone on flight mode anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you really expect the Apple Watch to be something you'd take hiking for a week? I wouldn't take my TAG watch hiking for a week either and the battery isn't the issue there.

I'd bring spare pants though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

faceman wrote: »
    I'd bring spare pants though

What? Who would buy pants that couldn't last 2 weeks without a change? You just can't get the quality these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Watch face camera free right no on the App Store.

It allows you to resize photos to the correct size for the watch

Watch Face Camera by Samer Azzam
    https://appsto.re/us/LKDd_.i

OU812 wrote: »
    Watch face camera free right no on the App Store.

It allows you to resize photos to the correct size for the watch

Watch Face Camera by Samer Azzam
    https://appsto.re/us/LKDd_.i

Thanks! Just got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

In all fairness if you put the watch into power save mode it'd probably last the same amount of time, and if your putting your phone into airplane mode you can't connect it to the watch anyway since bluetooth is off.

Your case has failed. You assumed, wrongly, that the battery lasted less than a day. You were wrong, plAin and simple. Case closed. Now, be a good boy and run along and get yourself some troll pie before it's all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Let's make a resolution to be civil on these boards. There's been far too much sniping of late. Stop it now.

culabula wrote: »
    Let's make a resolution to be civil on these boards. There's been far too much sniping of late. Stop it now.

Yeah... Its just a watch (that needs to be charged every 24 or 48 hrs depending on who is posting)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Looking to get a new band for my 42mm Sport, either leather or stainless steel. Any particular ones that you'd recommend? (Remember it has to fit Sport version)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

You guys and girls using it as your main watch?

I'm half tempted to get one at this stage(having been a naysayer at launch) but I wear a regular watch every day that's a really nice watch and just couldn't see myself replacing it with the Apple Watch ( I know it's not replacing like for like).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I wear it as my main watch. The only time I wouldn't wear it would be if I was getting dressed up. I have the Sport and it looks too casual to wear when dressed up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

adox wrote: »

I'm half tempted to get one at this stage(having been a naysayer at launch) but I wear a regular watch every day that's a really nice watch and just couldn't see myself replacing it with the Apple Watch ( I know it's not replacing like for like).

Yes - and I've ditched a "good" watch to wear it. I still think it's a win/win situation, though - I wear it in preference to other watches because I value what it does and I like how it looks. If you think you will agree, great, get one.

If you think you'll only wear it some of the time, you need to get happy that it still makes sense, which it may - perhaps you think that you'll want it when exercising and/or when at work wanting to know about appointments, but in the evening times you won't care. The important thing is to understand where it fits in your life. And if it doesn't - that's fine too, don't buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

faceman wrote: »
    Looking to get a new band for my 42mm Sport, either leather or stainless steel. Any particular ones that you'd recommend? (Remember it has to fit Sport version)

I checked with Apple and all 38/42mm bands will fit all 38/42mm versions of the Apple watch but non-Sport bands have different sizes (S,M,L), so check your wrist circumference before buying one - here's a link to the sizing guide.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/watch/sizing-guide

I had an opportunity to try a few different combos in-store and I'll be going for the Milanese loop band with my 38mm Sport - purely to dress it up a bit for when I'm going out. It feels incredibly light, secure and comfortable.

Lumi wrote: »
    I checked with Apple and all 38/42mm bands will fit all 38/42mm versions of the Apple watch but non-Sport bands have different sizes (S,M,L), so check your wrist circumference before buying one - here's a link to the sizing guide.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/watch/sizing-guide

I had an opportunity to try a few different combos in-store and I'll be going for the Milanese loop band with my 38mm Sport - purely to dress it up a bit for when I'm going out. It feels incredibly light, secure and comfortable.

Cheers! Any third party bands that are recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Interesting regarding third party straps:
    http://www.shaunmcgill.com/blog/2015/8/25/the-world-of-fake-apple-watch-bands

Don't get my wrong I like apple stuff and have a lot of it, Mac, all iPhones, iPads, time capsule, Apple TV and watch. Usually happy enough to pay the price but the price for the straps -especially the metal ones- is a bit steep for what u get. There are very good copies of the link bracelet (look for version 4, which is a 1to1 copy where you can remove the links by hand) and the Milanese loop around. I have both and compared in shop can hardly tell the difference. I have the black watch and the link bracelet looks great with that.
    The Milanese loop I have in black and I don't think that looks as nice as the normal metal loop (I don't think Apple do one in black anyway).
    There's a variety in price/quality regarding copies and usually u get what u pay for...
    I don't think the other metal bands look very well (the ones that are not copies of link or Milanese loop).
    Check Amazon, eBay and the usual Chinese sites like aliexpress.

I also use the watch as my main watch now, "ditched" -not really- a very good mechanical watch (about 5 times the value of the Apple Watch) for it. Funnily enough a strap for that watch doesn't cost as much as an Apple Watch strap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wristouch straps are at the pricier end of the third party strap range but they are still significantly cheaper than Apple straps and have great reviews.
    http://www.wristouch.com/collection/
    They only seem to be available in 42mm otherwise I'd be seriously tempted...

I also came across these cool adapters from Click that allow you to to use any 22mm strap with your Apple watch
    http://www.svnsxt.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

adox wrote: »

I have about 5 other watches , 2 citizen eco-drives as well as a casio g-shock which cost me about the 300 mark and the apple watch has replaced them all.
    Actually cost-wise the apple watch is only about the mid-way point. If I was going abroad for the week or some then I'd go with one of the others as I probably wouldn't be using data abroad..aside from that it's my main watch now...have to say every one comments on it..even my mother mentioned today that she loved it..she hadn't a clue what it was but she was seeing the face light up when I turned it towards me and was fascinated by it..she's not one bit technical either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The interesting mark though is if they get people ditching Omega/Rolex/Tag for them. I had one and just prefer my IWC and Omega so I sold it. Although I'm getting the itch again.

Advertisement